Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2009 10:00:40 PM EDT
I don't see them for sale anywhere.  Can't get one at Wal-Mart.  Never seen a GE engne dealer.  Who do they think they are reaching with these commercials?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#1]
"brand" maintenance.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#2]
you are aware that the captains of industry watch TV too

I mean why do they advertise power production and distribution on TV

or other corporate and higher level infrastructure products

railroads etc
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#3]
sale of stock!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:07:40 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, do you invest?  Maybe you have a 401k, mutual fund...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
sale of stock!

Damn you fast fingered bastard.

You caught me monologuing
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"brand" maintenance.

I think it's this, but not sure how effective it is.  Like Saab's "Born from jets" campaign even though the car and aircraft companies split awhile ago.  It's trying to convey that the technology and quality in the engines also goes into your light bulb or toaster oven.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

sale of stock!

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP, do you invest?  Maybe you have a 401k, mutual fund...

Yes, but not in companies who blow huge marketing dollars to reach people who don't buy their products.  People who buy jet engines would be a very small group and much more easily (and less expensivly) targeted than buying national advertizing.  I could see putting them in Investors Business Daily, WSJ etc.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#9]
it has a subliminal message telling you to buy GE products

they know you dont care and wont really be listening, so would make it the best time
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#10]
oops
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Ran a major airline's global WAN for several years, night sys-op, when my boxes were humming along smooth, the res floor chix were the only game on the campus, except for the flight-ops chix , who dug the flight ops guys, who hated us (IT) because we forced them to quit hogging the network with combat sims.

Anyway...

Lots of people refuse to fly Airbus.

Think they're unsafe.

Same went for DC-10s after idiot mechanics installed the bolts upside down and engines fell off.

That killed McDonnell Douglass for good.

GE wants to make sure people dialing reservation floors, and clicking Orbitz, check to make sure those carriers are flying super safe, proven GE turbo-fan equipment.

I suspect the average frequent flyer has no idea that airframe manufacturers do NOT choose the engines, the purchaser does.

I suspect that the average frequent flyer will never drill down to the nuts and bolts of commercial aviation equipment, and specify every component they wish to fly with.

I suspect that GE is tossing money in the trash with this ad campaign, but it's their money, they can experiment with it if they choose to.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
railroads etc

actually fortune 500 magazine wrote that a great percentage of ceo's and large business owners rarely watch television. food for thought
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
sale of stock!

Damn you fast fingered bastard.

You caught me monologuing

That's MISTER fast fingered bastard to you!  (Youngins just don't show no respect for old folks!)
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:43:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

"brand" maintenance.

That.

That way, when you see the GE washer in the store, you think "Oh, yeah, those guys make jet engines, too!"

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

railroads etc

actually fortune 500 magazine wrote that a great percentage of ceo's and large business owners rarely watch television. food for thought
I bet they watch FOX and thats the only place I see these ads

but I have no doubt what you say is true

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't see them for sale anywhere.  Can't get one at Wal-Mart.  Never seen a GE engne dealer.  Who do they think they are reaching with these commercials?

It's called advertising.
They are pulling their corporate dick out, laying it on the table and daring anyone else who makes everything from light bulbs to jet engines to whip their corporate dick out and see if it measures up to GE.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'll bet that you deal with GE (and other jet engine dealers) on a regular basis and you don't know it.
Most if not all large commercial jet engines are not owned by the airline, they are owned by leasing corporations.
Those leasing corporations are owned by or are fronts for banks, capitol groups, investment groups and so on.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Look, your ONE post has made all of us respond, and start talking about GE aircraft engines.  

So, you think the commercial doesn't have an effect?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:55:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

railroads etc

Cause there too busy playing with there high end music systems or there trains sets...

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:56:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
railroads etc

Cause there too busy playing with there high end (GE) music systems or there (GE) trains sets...

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:19:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I just bought a few GE / Snecma CFM-56s for a little project.

Got 'em off of Craigslist.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:28:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's called advertising.
They are pulling their corporate dick out, laying it on the table and daring anyone else who makes everything from light bulbs to jet engines to whip their corporate dick out and see if it measures up to GE.

This ^^^^
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:45:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Nascar is in trouble, they are just laying the ground work for pod racers.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:49:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Trying to take your mind off the fact they were still selling to Iran not too long ago?  

Or that they own NBC, which gives daily tongue service to The Won?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I thought there were only 3 major in engine providers in the world; GE, PW and RR?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:10:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Why not, we all like jet engines. They're cool, made in America, whats not to love.

Distracts from the fact that they make wind turbines as well, and will profit like no other from green legislation.

Distracts from the fact that they make medical equipment, and will profit greatly from socialized medicine.

Distracts from the fact they make those neat little leathal mercury filled long life light bulbs, and they want you those instead of the reasonably priced simple every day lightbulb.

And finally, it distracts from the fact that they own MSNBC, and that they will say anything they have to in order to get the government to legislate the sales of thier products.

They don't want those crazy Fox News viewers piecing this together, so they remind us that jet engines are good, so GE must be good.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:21:35 AM EDT
[#27]

I recently flew to Japan on ANA out of Dulles.  The aircraft had this:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE90

After looking at it out the window, I had to look it up.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:59:23 AM EDT
[#28]
I really don't care for the GE engine manuals. They are too vague in many regards and thier diagrams suck.

I much prefer Pratt & Whitney.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:08:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I recently flew to Japan on ANA out of Dulles.  The aircraft had this:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE90

After looking at it out the window, I had to look it up.

That is one big honking engine.  I was fortunate to tour the Boeing EBU facility in Seattle, and seeing these Ge90s close up without cowlings or nacelles was amazing!

Here is Boeing Brochure on the EBU
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aviationservices/brochures/Engine_Buildup_Services.pdf
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:13:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:32:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why not, we all like jet engines. They're cool, made in America, whats not to love.

Distracts from the fact that they make wind turbines as well, and will profit like no other from green legislation.

Distracts from the fact that they make medical equipment, and will profit greatly from socialized medicine.

Distracts from the fact they make those neat little leathal mercury filled long life light bulbs, and they want you those instead of the reasonably priced simple every day lightbulb.

And finally, it distracts from the fact that they own MSNBC, and that they will say anything they have to in order to get the government to legislate the sales of thier products.

They don't want those crazy Fox News viewers piecing this together, so they remind us that jet engines are good, so GE must be good.

+1, Fuck GE, they're also trying to distract from the fact that they sold parts to Iran that were used to kill US soldiers in Iraq. Fuck those Obama loving bastards. Hope the company tanks.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:41:32 AM EDT
[#32]
And FN advertises, in civilian gun magazines that they make the M2.

It shows market ability, credibility, leadership and presence.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:44:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1, Fuck GE, they're also trying to distract from the fact that they sold parts to Iran that were used to kill US soldiers in Iraq. Fuck those Obama loving bastards. Hope the company tanks.

GE is a multi-national corporation.  They have no national favoritism except who maximizes profits, and what GE does in other countries is none of the United State's business
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:54:33 AM EDT
[#34]
For the regular joe, is to sell stock and give a good view of the company. Most people just think GE only makes appliance.

But in reality, they make pretty much everything.

And to the PW manuals being better comment. I can't really say anything about that since the manuals i used are standarized by NAVAIR. But i find it and like working on GE engines better than PW.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:01:50 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GE is a multi-national corporation.  They have no national favoritism except who maximizes profits, and what GE does in other countries is none of the United State's business

The village idiot has returned.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:03:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Pratt & Whitney engines are the best, hands down.

They can be found on the stock market as United Technologies (UTX). (Carrier, Otis, Sikorsky, and Hamilton also fall under UTX)
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:04:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Why do drug companies advertise prescription drugs on TV?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:13:40 AM EDT
[#38]
I have been quoted by bear_grillz...I'm starting to feel welcome here.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:39:43 AM EDT
[#39]
There was an episode of 30 Rock where Alec Baldwin asks Tina Fey to incorporate GE product advertisements into the TGS skits, like all of a sudden they'd talk about the GE off-shore oil rigs or the GE Trivection oven during a comedy "skit"
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:57:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I see someone hates free-market capitalism
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:01:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Guy watches a GE commercial about jet engines.

A while later he is at home depot looking to get a new oven.

GE oven or other oven, well GE makes jet engines, jet engines are a very high quality reliable thing, their ovens must be high quality and reliable too.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:04:47 AM EDT
[#42]
GE advertises on the Democratic Underground.

Seen it with my own eyes in the retarded little ad box at the bottom of every topic.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:08:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way Bill O'Reilly talks about this night after night, I figured they wanted to get some positive publicity about themselves at some point.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:15:23 AM EDT
[#44]
to make up for the other crap that they sell.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:16:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Haven't you've seen the Mad Max movies?

There just getting ready for the post apocalypse sales.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:18:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
GE advertises on the Democratic Underground.

Seen it with my own eyes in the retarded little ad box at the bottom of every topic.

GE also is one of the biggest/earliest practicers outsourcing its manual labor to China and the rest of the third world.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:28:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see someone hates free-market capitalism

Oh, you got me there, I'm famous around here for my hatred of the free market and Capitolism.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:02:39 AM EDT
[#48]
They want you to feel safe in case you feel the need to break out in song and dance in front of large spinning turbine engine.

What is the saying, like goose shit through a tin horn?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:08:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Stop quoting the village idiot. Those of us who are ignoring him hardly notice the ignored posts until someone quotes them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#50]

That's an International Aero Engines motor, no GE problems there.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top