Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/13/2005 9:58:52 PM EDT
It eat's up my RAM! I only have 128k and it sucks it up. If I have a couple windows open, they disappear and I have to go to my Task Manager to bring them back. My HDD goes crazy for about 6-8 minutes after I log out too. This never happens with IE..

Also, you computer geeks, I have a newer Dell Desktop. What kind of RAM does it use if I want to upgrade? Anyone have any sitting around they want to sell real cheap?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:01:13 PM EDT
I love firefox, but then again I have 1.25 GB of RAM so that's not an issue f or me :D

Also I think if you call Dell tech support, they can tell you what kind of RAM it will need/ use.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:04:02 PM EDT
You have a new Dell that only shipped with 128MB of RAM?

Duuude

Personally, I think Firefox is like cat's ass-but then again I have a gig of RAM in my home PCs. I think my office rig has a half gig.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:11:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CJan_NH:

Duuude

Personally, I think Firefox is like cat's ass-but then again I have a gig of RAM in my home PCs. I think my office rig has a half gig.

Dell fucks people on ram who don't understand how important it is.
Thats why i build my own systems.
For $1700 i built:
Athlon Xp venice core 3000+ OEM chip (stock 1.8 ghz, overclocked to 2.6, 24 hr Prime64 stable) with a Arctic cooling freezer 64. That's over the clock speed for a 4000+
2 GB crucial pc3200
Sapphire X850XT radeon(Oc'd to PE speeds)
2 Sata 74 GB 7200 RPM HD's in RAID-0
Sb audigy 2 ZS
Klipsch 2.1
Saitek Gamers keyboard, Razer Dback gamers mouse.
19" Samsung CRT dynaflat (1600x1200@76hz, .20 Dotpitch)
DVD burner and a DVD rom
Case with 8 case fans.
Seasonic S-12 500w PSU

All up and running, win XP pro, Office XP pro, ect. This systems equivlent would cost around 3,000 from dell and wouldnt perform as well.
Dell=Ripoff.
My brother in law bought a dell, they gave him a 2.6 ghz P4, but only 256 ram, disgrace. 2 GB of high quality pc3200 crucial ram costs about $220 from newegg.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:13:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Az_Redneck:
It eat's up my RAM! I only have 128k and it sucks it up.

I think I found your problem.

Stop trying to run Firefox on a 2003 vintage cell phone.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:31:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ElCamino:

oops..Meg..

Good eye!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:31:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 10:32:21 PM EDT by Max_Mike]

Originally Posted By Karaya1:

Duuude

For $1700 i built:
Athlon Xp venice core 3000+ OEM chip (stock 1.8 ghz, overclocked to 2.6, 24 hr Prime64 stable) with a Arctic cooling freezer 64. That's over the clock speed for a 4000+
2 GB crucial pc3200
Sb audigy 2 ZS
Klipsch 2.1
DVD burner and a DVD rom
Case with 8 case fans.
Seasonic S-12 500w PSU

All up and running, win XP pro, Office XP pro, ect. This systems equivlent would cost around 3,000 from dell and wouldnt perform as well.
Dell=Ripoff.
My brother in law bought a dell, they gave him a 2.6 ghz P4, but only 256 ram, disgrace. 2 GB of high quality pc3200 crucial ram costs about $220 from newegg.

Dell don't screw anybody they give adults choices... if you get 128MB ram it ain't Dell's fault.

Firefox has a memory leak problem but even if it did not you will have a dog slow machine with 128MB ram... get at least 512MB about $40 online or even better 1GB at about $80.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:32:00 PM EDT
Because it uses the same bloated POS rendering engine as Mozilla.

The people who wrote that shit never heard of free() or delete.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:40:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Karaya1:

Duuude

For $1700 i built:
2 GB crucial pc3200
Sb audigy 2 ZS
Klipsch 2.1
DVD burner and a DVD rom
Case with 8 case fans.
Seasonic S-12 500w PSU

Dell=Ripoff.

I don't know much about Dell, but I agree with building your own. I'm no technical genius, but I got it figured out. Both of my home office towers are homebuilt, as is my SCSI RAID5 enclosure:

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:43:35 PM EDT
saying you have a "task manager" implies youre running WindowsXP. so with 128MB of RAM guess what. when you boot to the desktop youre essentially tapped out. your poor harddrive must be running its balls off reading/writing to the virtual mem swap file. dont be a cheapfucker, go to www.newegg.com and buy yourself a 512mb stick of RAM. it will run you less than $150 and it will feel like you bought a new computer.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:48:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DvlDog:
saying you have a "task manager" implies youre running WindowsXP. so with 128MB of RAM guess what. when you boot to the desktop youre essentially tapped out. your poor harddrive must be running its balls off reading/writing to the virtual mem swap file. dont be a cheapfucker, go to www.newegg.com and buy yourself a 512mb stick of RAM. it will run you less than $150 and it will feel like you bought a new computer.

I'm the President of Cheapf***er.com! Disability pay sucks..I'll just have to use IE for a while...

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:30:55 AM EDT
Well, it just wasn't one of Clint Eastwood's better movies. He was much better in "Two Mules for Sister Sarah" and "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly".

Wait. You were talking about something else.....

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:35:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 3:35:50 AM EDT by Mauser101]

oops..Meg..

Good eye!

Stop trying to run new software on a 1998 computer then. You need an older version of firefox or some other browser. As these types of programs evolve their footprint on system memory gets larger. It's just a fact. Even IE takes up a lot more memory than it did back in 1994.

You should probably be running firefox prior to 1.0 release.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:37:29 AM EDT
you need more RAM, my lowly Dell laptop has 512MB
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:41:10 AM EDT
With that ram, use this browser. Works great.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:46:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Scottman:
With that ram, use this browser. Works great.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:49:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 3:54:06 AM EDT by John_Wayne777]

It eat's up my RAM! I only have 128k

Stop.

Stop right there.

That is your problem.

If you are running Win2K or better with only 128 MB of RAM, then you are fudged from the word Go. 2K/XP needs at least 256 MB to be happy. Less than that is asking for problems. The manuals SAY you can run it with as little as 64, but the manuals LIE.

Firefox doesn't consume any more resources than IE. In fact, I am willing to bet that it consumes less. The trouble is that if you are running Win98 or up, IE is ALWAYS running on your system because it is the shell.

So whether you want to run it or not, IE is always running.

THAT consumes a lot of RAM. Take a look at your active processes sometime. End Explorer.exe and watch what happens....

I haven't found that Firefox consumes any resources above normal on my systems. I am currently running Thunderbird and Firefox v. 1.0.6 and my memory use is so low it doesn't even register on the counter. The processor is at 1%.

and it sucks it up. If I have a couple windows open, they disappear and I have to go to my Task Manager to bring them back. My HDD goes crazy for about 6-8 minutes after I log out too. This never happens with IE..

Methinks your Windoze install might be dying from creep. It happens all the time. I have to re-install Windows about twice a year on my office machines.

Also, you computer geeks, I have a newer Dell Desktop. What kind of RAM does it use if I want to upgrade? Anyone have any sitting around they want to sell real cheap?

Define "newer" by giving a model number, or simply go to the Dell website, plug in your service tag number, and the site will tell you what kind of RAM is in your system.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:58:19 AM EDT

The people who wrote that shit never heard of free() or delete.

Agreed. While Firefox normally uses less RAM than MSIE, Firefox doesn't free-up RAM after it uses it. I recently upgraded the XP system in the office to 2Gbytes because Firefox needed that much to run well with a 500MByte web page report I have to create at the end of each day. Firefox uses about 750Mbytes to view the page, and MSIE uses about 1Gbyte. MSIE is worse, but after quitting the browser window with the large file, MSIE gives that RAM back to Windows. With Firefox, that RAM is in use until you quit Firefox (which only happens on reboot since we need to keep about 20 windows open so it takes a long time to get everything open after the daily XP crash). I hate to admit it, but when you're viewing a lot of web pages or large web pages (> 1/8 the total amount of RAM), you're better off with Opera or MSIE.z
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:06:12 AM EDT

I love this guy...not his new avatar tho...but he's right...Dell (3 years old) and I have 2.5 and I am running everything right now except the dishwasher off this thing including imaging software...no lag, no probs.
Dell isn't the problem, they just expect customers to KNOW what they need!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:06:23 AM EDT
tagage
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:34:12 AM EDT
Um, 128mb is barely enough to run your damn OS these days...so blaming your problems on Firefox is a little silly. Get more ram.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:49:22 AM EDT
First off, those saying firefox is perfect are full of shit. It has a well-documented memory leak. Its supposedly near the top of things being fixed in the 1.5 release (which is in beta now).

Those saying you should buy more RAM are right though. I run XP on my 1999 vintage laptop with only 96 MB RAM, and more memory would drastically improve things, however its not possible in my case (stupid low-end laptop has some RAM built in and the rest on a propriatary and no-longer-produced card).

So, either put up with it until 1.5 is released and the memory leak is fixed, shell out for some more RAM, or go back to IE. You pays your money (or not) and you takes your choice. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:52:03 AM EDT
And to find out what your machine uses jost go to crucial.com and plug in your PCs information there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:55:32 AM EDT
I just downloaded the beta. I'm curious to see if the memory leak problems are resolved yet. As a responsible beta tester, it is my duty to surf arfcom all day and report back with my findings.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:56:17 AM EDT
WinXP should run a web browser just fine in 128MB. Hell, some in-laws just GAVE my 4 year old son an old Compaq laptop and I installed XP on there and he can browse the web just fine. I think it has 128MB at the most and must be a 500MHz CPU or something, tops.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:07:46 AM EDT
2GB of RAM here...and that's barely enough sometimes...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:27:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 9:30:31 AM EDT by gazukull]
Not to get off topic that FireFox is actually FireCox...

But home building systems is almost as enjoyable as making a frankengun AR.

I do most of mine off of barebones from www.mwave.com, but tiger direct has some good rebates now and then.

Socket A + Athlon XP 3000 Barton Core $99.99 After Rebate

Case w/ 350 w Power Supply $31

2 Gig DDR = $97 x 2 = $194

200 Gig IDE Drive Seatgate = $95

LITE ON DVD Burner $45.90

CHAINTECH NVIDIA GF6600 256MB DDR 8XAGP TV & DVI $119

The above system does NOT take advantage of SATA or PCI Express or Socket 754 or any of that new high speed shit.

The above system will play BF2 at Medium with a good frame rate.

That's 583 bones for my second BF2 machine. Actually, since most of my parts were just laying around from previous machines, my seconed BF2 machine was just 99.99 for the mother board and processor.

BF2 with your squadie in the other room is a good time.

There are even better ways to make a cheaper system that is worth a dam, but I will take a look at that when I get home. I made this up on work time :DDDD

- G
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:28:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FanoftheBlackRifle:
First off, those saying firefox is perfect are full of shit.

There is no such thing as perfect software.

There is "better" software.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:32:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

Agreed, and I really like Firefox alot. I just downloaded the 1.5 beta and installed it, hoping that the memory usage problems were resolved. I immediately went to arfcom. 18MB of memory usage. I cruised a few threads and then ran through the Looter Photoshop Contest (all 26 pages). Firefox is now consuming 239MB of RAM. This, inside of 30 minutes.

It needs a lot of work. It's still my primary browser, but this problem is getting old quick.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:36:42 AM EDT

Yep…

And ebb and flow…

Firefox is my preferred browser but it is starting to show more weakness and fewer benefits… something "better" will be along if that trend continues.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:42:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
And to find out what your machine uses jost go to crucial.com and plug in your PCs information there.

Crucial Memory . Gotta keep the locals employed!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:43:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:

Agreed, and I really like Firefox alot. I just downloaded the 1.5 beta and installed it, hoping that the memory usage problems were resolved. I immediately went to arfcom. 18MB of memory usage. I cruised a few threads and then ran through the Looter Photoshop Contest (all 26 pages). Firefox is now consuming 239MB of RAM. This, inside of 30 minutes.

It needs a lot of work. It's still my primary browser, but this problem is getting old quick.

Me to...

Been using the 1.5 beta… the memory leak if anything seems worse. Just checked and time Firefox using almost 200MB.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:11:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:

Me to...

Been using the 1.5 beta… the memory leak if anything seems worse. Just checked and time Firefox using almost 200MB.

I guess I'm the odd one then. 1.0.6 on the laptop with 96 MB RAM and 128MB swap, 2 google searches, 4 arfcom threads, fark, and slashdot open in tabs, no extensions, firefox uses all of it that it can get its hands on (149MB).

Desktop with 2GB RAM and 3.5 GB swap, same set of pages in tabs, no extensions, 1.5b1 is only using 42MB.

And yes, there IS perfect software. I've yet to find a bug in my ancient "hello world" code from jr. high. Of course, its not USEFUL software, unless you like seeing "Hello world." printed on the screen.

Otherwise, I agree....its not perfect, and will probably never actually BE perfect, but there are those that proclaim firefox (or openoffice, etc) as being "perfect" because it does a decent job and is free.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:12:49 AM EDT
But.......but..........but..............I keep hearing that Firefox is SOOOOOOOOO much better than IE.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:23:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 11:31:21 AM EDT by Max_Mike]

Originally Posted By LARRYG:
But.......but..........but..............I keep hearing that Firefox is SOOOOOOOOO much better than IE.

It still is... that might change when IE 7 is released.

The IE 7 beta is promising but it is slow that maybe because it is a beta but I also suspect the slowness may be a direct result of tighten security and anti-spyware precautions.

And don’t cry for Microsoft IE still controls near 90% of the browser market… putting a little perspective on the claim that Firefox has been downloaded 100 million times, A 100 million times but by how many actual people. You mention Firefox to most computer users and you just get a blank stare and a what is that. When I work on peoples computers I load Firefox on the computer, I recommend they give Firefox a try, give them detailed reasons why, and I have even printed a little security flyer I give people and part of that lists the reasons… most never even open Firefox very few actually ever use it.

Firefox is not having the impact with USERS many assume it has… it is having a impact in the development community and that is good.

Either way the competition is good for everybody.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:14:15 PM EDT
Computers will start with 128MB of ram?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:28:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NewbHunter:
2GB of RAM here...and that's barely enough sometimes...

+1

I have 2GB of DDR PC3200 and a 3.0ghz P4 HT CPU and it can get slow on me too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:50:25 PM EDT

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:08:27 PM EDT
Paint your Wagon....

Originally Posted By Hobbit:
Well, it just wasn't one of Clint Eastwood's better movies. He was much better in "Two Mules for Sister Sarah" and "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly".

-Hobbit

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:09:04 PM EDT

alan.strawinski.net/images/misc/screenshot3.jpg

Holy crap.

The most Firefox has ever consumed on my machine is 50K.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:16:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hobbit:

-Hobbit

Flaming crock of shit. When I was a little kid, I LOVED Firefox. It's one of the definitive movies of any cold-war era kid.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:28:17 PM EDT
I LOVE FIREFOX!

If Firefox is not running correctly, scan for virus/trojans/spayware, clean your registry, adjust Firefox settings (about:config), or format C:\ and start over with a fresh install
If you don' like Firefox use Internet Explorer, Opera, or Netscape. Don't like of those alternatives write your own web brower, I suggest Delphi or C++.

Oh and more RAM is always a good thing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:32:22 PM EDT
FireFox can easily eat up 100 MB alone and that is QUITE A LOT compared to IE and other apps that suck up about 25MB-30MB tops.

Games will generally use 200MB or so. That is unacceptable for a web browser.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:35:45 PM EDT
Currently eating up l;essthan 31mb on my system.

Idont have the problem others are speaking of.I have 3 open right now as well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:43:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 1:43:48 PM EDT by KN]
128 mb?

Come on man. You need to upgrade.
Our smallest printer at work has 128 mb of memory.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:12:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 3:13:35 PM EDT by xcell]
you shouldn't even be running windows with 128 Megs :)

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:15:22 PM EDT
Firefox is indeed a hog. There are actually bug reports where the recommended solution is to close the app and restart it. Sounds like a microsoft-ish solution to me

If you want THE browser - Speed and redering capabilities of IE, security and convenience of firefox (pop up blocker, tabbed browsing, etc) get:

OPERA!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:18:01 PM EDT
The question is, WHY DOES YOUR COMPUTER SUCK SO BAD... but no seriously firefox is in its infancy really. If I recall its in the 1.somethings. Software engineering can be a bitch. Take it from one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:29:39 PM EDT
Opera is based on Netscape (I saw it load a Netscape.exe file) and uses the same, if not more, RAM than FireFox.

If FireFox would fix its memory leakage issue, all will be well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:33:43 PM EDT
I love Firefox.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:37:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By xcell:
you shouldn't even be running windows with 128 Megs :)

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top