Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/25/2013 9:19:09 AM EDT
I CCW a Ruger SR9c, with the wonky LCI, and it just doesn't bother me. It seems, however, that lots of you absolutely hate them.

Just curious. Why?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I CCW a Ruger SR9c, with the wonky LCI, and it just doesn't bother me. It seems, however, that lots of you absolutely hate them.

Just curious. Why?
View Quote

There Gay
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There Gay
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious. Why?

There Gay

Where gay?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Some idiots treat it as a replacement for looking to confirm the chamber is empty.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you own a Ruger MKIII?
Go buy one and you'll find out....  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Another unnecessary feature that could break.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Because only a fucking moron wouldn't know his own pistol is loaded.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Where gay?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious. Why?

There Gay

Where gay?

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:23:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can't you just tell me? Don't feel like buying one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Some idiots treat it as a replacement for looking to confirm the chamber is empty.
View Quote
This.  If you start to rely on it, someday, in the wrong lighting conditions or in haste, you will mistakenly think the chamber is empty.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#10]
LCIs that are just panted extractor edges or something like that I don't mind.  They're unnecessary, but don't hurt anything.  LCIs that add extra parts to the gun, like the Ruger MkIII, are adding more shit to break for no good reason, and that's always bad.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Dumb because you should be taught that guns are always loaded.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:26:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They point out of the gun at an odd angle and are annoying.

I like the M&P solution. You can see the brass by looking at the top of the gun.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#13]
They're obnoxious, obtrusive, and stupid.

You shouldn't need a device to tell you your gun is hot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There Gay
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious. Why?

There Gay

I see what you did they're...

p
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I like the M&P solution.

View Quote

Hell yes.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
LCIs that are just panted extractor edges or something like that I don't mind.  They're unnecessary, but don't hurt anything.  LCIs that add extra parts to the gun, like the Ruger MkIII, are adding more shit to break for no good reason, and that's always bad.
View Quote

This.

Also, it adds cost to a gun for something you don't need.  The MkIII has a big milled channel in the left side of the barreled upper to fit the LCI.  And you have to pay for them to put it there.

Then there's the metal flag inside the ejection port which makes it slightly more of a pain to clean.

There are worst firearm design sins than LCIs, but the point is that you don't need it, and it doesn't do anything for you.

It is, as they say, tits on a bull.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hell yes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the M&P solution.

Hell yes.

Me too.  Though hard to see in the dark.  Also don't mind the XD striker indicator, just an extension of the striker.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Loaded chamber indicators are for idiots. If you want to know if the gun is loaded, just pull the trigger.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Nothing but a feel good lawyer contraption that many people think they need in order to feel safe. It is not just ARFCOM that hates LCI's. Anybody with a shread of common sense hates them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I treat every gun as if it is loaded anyway.  Don't need an extra (breakable) feature to tell me when it is loaded, especially if it is as stupid as the one on my mk2 22/45

The only one I don't have a problem with is the passive LCI on my springfield 1911 because it has no moving parts whatsoever, and is just a lil "window" into the chamber

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't need an indicator to tell me my gun is loaded.  

I assume the gun is loaded until I look in the chamber.  

An LCI is just another screen door on a submarine.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:31:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some genius in their legal department came up with the design....

"I got an idea!! Why don't you just cut a giant hole in the side of the chamber on the opposite side of the ejection port?! And hey even better, lets make the LCI out of a solid piece of steel and have it rest right on the rim of the rim-fire bullet so if someone drops a loaded gun and it falls on the LCI the gun will fire!"  "I am fucking brilliant!!"  

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I like Glock's version. It's useful and tactile without being garish or obtrusive.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#25]
It is another unnecessary mechanical device to fail and gum up the works. I had a STAR model Super B with a loaded chamber indicator that got buggered up and prevented rounds from seating and extracting properly.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nothing but a feel good lawyer contraption that many people think they need in order to feel safe. It is not just ARFCOM that hates LCI's. Anybody with a shread of common sense hates them.
View Quote

I certainly don't rely on them, in just don't understand the hate for them. I rarely even notice mine.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#27]
The serve no purpose.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#28]
My M9 LCI is just a bump on the extractor and is unobtrusive, I don't mind it. It's also not very useful as its pretty small and the orange mark gets dirty fast when shooting.

My wife's SR9C on the other hand is big and obnoxious, but it still doesn't seem to be a problem other than aesthetically..
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I hate them because CA requires them.
Isn't that why ruger added LCI when they did?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Just curious. Why?
View Quote

Often added as an afterthough and not well integrated to the design of the handgun.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#31]
This is the correct answer they are all fricking loaded

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one, they work great but I really can't stand that stupid loaded chamber thingy.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#33]
The little red dot on the rear of the PPS is comforting, but not necessary.

In one way, it's always loaded - seeing that red dot means it's ready.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I treat every gun as if it is loaded anyway.  Don't need an extra (breakable) feature to tell me when it is loaded, especially if it is as stupid as the one on my mk2 22/45

The only one I don't have a problem with is the passive LCI on my springfield 1911 because it has no moving parts whatsoever, and is just a lil "window" into the chamberHood

http://users.rcn.com/chinmonster/autoordnance_top.jpg
View Quote

sorry
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came here to say just this.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

On the M&P it literally allows you to see into the chamber to see that there is a round in it. I still press check out of habit, however it serves the EXACT same purpose as press checking. Yes. All guns are always loaded and it's not a substitute for making sure the gun is empty.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#37]
It's all about the element of surprise....
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#38]
I don't mind them on most guns, but I absolutely hate them on the MkIII. The only good improvement from the MkII to the MkIII is the magazine release. Everything else was a step backwards. The LCI, the mag disconnect, no more Ruger logo on the back of the bolt, etc.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#39]
all guns are always loaded.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I like Glock's version. It's useful and tactile without being garish or obtrusive.
View Quote

This. It's there but not.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
lets make the LCI out of a solid piece of steel and have it rest right on the rim of the rim-fire bullet so if someone drops a loaded gun and it falls on the LCI the gun will fire
View Quote

lol nice
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#42]
I love the way Glock does it. On the M&P's you cant see the brass in the dark. I wish the M&P was setup like the glock. It is just a nice triple check.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#43]
I have absolutely no problem with them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#44]
All guns are always loaded.  There's your loaded chamber indicator courtesy Cooper's rule #1
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Unnecessary part subject to malfunctioning.

Another feature that can be used to create a false sense of security or accidents when relied upon too heavily.

Another piece of metal projecting from the normal form of a gun that can snag, or hang up.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#46]
LCI's encourage sloppy gun handling by those who are not religious about following the "four rules".  And, like any mechanical device, they can fail, further increasing the chances of an accident.

Use your eyes and fingers to confirm the status of your weapon.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#47]
I like my cz p07 duty (I'm guessing CZ's are like this) there is a small gap you can see the round in. My gun is always loaded but it's nice if my wife needed it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

This man speaks the truth. A gun is always loaded and should be handled as such. Too many people have been injured or killed by an unloaded weapon, which is to say that there are too many people who don't know how to properly handle a firearm. Loaded chamber indicators are a crutch for people don't want to invest the time to become proficient with a weapon, including the first principles of basic safe handling.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

all guns are always loaded.
View Quote
Except when they aren't.  

I like the top extractor on my XD as I can run my hand down the slide and confirm that there is likely a round chambered, as I often keep a loaded mag but empty chamber. It is preferable to unnecessary chambering of a round to "make sure".  

But... it's always loaded so if it goes "click" instead of "bang" the bad guy should stand there until I have a chance to really really load it.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#50]
i have a ruger sr40c.

it is a stupid part.

I do actually use it on occasion to make sure I'm hot but, never to indicate an unloaded weapon.

It is large and retarded but I don't care enough to get the thing to replace it and make it flush.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top