Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/27/2013 9:38:12 AM EST
I like it, but it's not even close to being mainstream like in Europe?

It's good to drive to, work to, execise to.

dat bass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e21pjukKSRY&feature=player_detailpage#t=1470

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:39:51 AM EST
It doesn't. Listen to pop radio or go to EDC sometime. It's everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:41:09 AM EST
I thought EDM was big again with the young people.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:41:34 AM EST
it's retarded.

we already have plenty of other retarded music here.

the market is saturated.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:42:08 AM EST
I like it. I've liked it for quite some time.

Anyone remember the midi music tied into digital animated movies from way back?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:42:08 AM EST
Originally Posted By dataflux:
I like it, but it's not even close to being mainstream like in Europe?

It's good to drive to, work to, execise to.

dat bass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e21pjukKSRY&feature=player_detailpage#t=1470

View Quote

I like it....

But to answer your question, I think most gun-carrying, beer-drinking, God-fearing men think it's for nerds and hipsters.

Just tell them to go listen to Charlie Daniels or Metallica's Kill 'Em All or whatever other 20+ year old drivel they like.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:42:15 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By scoobydoo1234:
View Quote

All I hear is quasi-dubstep stuff, but never any proper techno. I've never once heard it on the radio, even the college stations.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:43:46 AM EST
EDM is huge here, techno... not so much.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:43:53 AM EST
I'd guess country and hip-hop split the youth market with EDM here.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:44:02 AM EST
Depends on what you're talking about: EDM (electronic dance music) or techno?

EDM is the entire genre, which includes trance, house, techno, breakbeat, and a ton of other subgenres. EDM is huge in the United States these days, almost as much as in Europe. Trance and house shows sell out regularly and have crowds of 50,000 people in big stadiums. Most people call EDM "techno" in the USA, and that's not right, as techno is a specific subgenre and really sounds nothing like house or trance.

Now, if you're talking the sub-genre of techno, yeah, it's not big in the US. It's boring and repetitive and has no energy. :)
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:44:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By ae1:
View Quote

That's because both genres suck
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:45:02 AM EST
View Quote

Yep. Just about every damn US pop song samples off a Euro EDM song nowadays. The thing is, a lot of the new stuff seems to be "Americanized" to an extent if you will. Songs from even 2-3 years ago seem to be different.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:46:10 AM EST
It's a generation thing. If I am downtown or out at the bars, it will always be on. But I'll be crankin' up George Strait all the time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:48:42 AM EST
Originally Posted By DreadPirateMoyer:

EDM is the entire genre, which includes trance, house, techno, breakbeat, and a ton of other subgenres. EDM is huge in the United States these days, almost as much as in Europe. Trance and house shows sell out regularly and have crowds of 50,000 people in big stadiums. Most people call EDM "techno" in the USA, and that's not right, as techno is a specific subgenre and really sounds nothing like house or trance.

Now, if you're talking the sub-genre of techno, yeah, it's not big in the US. It's boring and repetitive and has no energy. :)
View Quote

The only place I've seen it's popular is Florida. I've been listening to digitally imported for 10 years and all if it comes from everywhere in Europe, or Florida, maybe a little bit from NYC.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:50:31 AM EST
Dandruff shows up too easy on a black turtleneck
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:51:23 AM EST
because it sucks
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:51:58 AM EST
Some friends and I dropped some acid with a dude that was into Kraftwerk when I was a lot younger. That's about all the techno I need.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:52:32 AM EST
Originally Posted By Chokey:
because it sucks
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:52:38 AM EST
Because Cher like's it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:53:54 AM EST
I like that song "Cars" by ....by....by.......whats-his-name.......
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:54:17 AM EST
because it sucks
View Quote

Do you have friends in Germany with that anti-electronic attitude?

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:54:30 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:56:58 AM EST

Too repetitious.

It's the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:56:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By thelaw09:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thelaw09:
because it sucks

This

I have to draw the line at Kraftwerk. Now that we have a piano and the kids can play, I have to admit that I get a kick out of playing Kraftwerk riffs on the piano.

It was the musicians on ARFCOM that talked me out of buying a synth or keyboard for the kids to practice on.

That being said I really do NOT like Techno music.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:57:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2013 9:58:43 AM EST by Jonny712]
I like EDM, but not necessarily techno

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:59:16 AM EST

All I hear is quasi-dubstep stuff, but never any proper techno. I've never once heard it on the radio, even the college stations.
View All Quotes

OK, I was wondering if you were using techno as a synonym for electronic music, or as the specific subgenre.

EDM is popular in the US, but the emphasis is on the bro-step styles more than true techno, house, trance, whatever. I think it is because the electronic scene here is all about live shows and festivals instead of clubbing. The dubstep type stuff works well for rocking out and fist-pumping. Larger cities do have plenty of clubs that play the other styles, but you don't hear it on the radio or commercials.

And also because Skrillex.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:00:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By Aussie_E:
No hate here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK2Amr_V1Fg
View Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvutg6GiJ2c
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:04:10 AM EST
In before Techno Viking.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:05:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:
In before Techno Viking.
View Quote

I was going to type the very same thing....
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:08:10 AM EST

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aussie_E:
No hate here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK2Amr_V1Fg

Daaaayammm, some of the other clips linked to that are pretty nice. NSFW though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:08:50 AM EST
Trance and House for me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:12:49 AM EST
ugh when i think techno i think ravers, waving their neon hippie glowsticks around while getting high on MDMA.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:13:08 AM EST
Because most of it sounds like a bus load of people with Tourette's Syndrome and Casio keyboards driving off a cliff.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:22:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2013 10:23:02 AM EST by Lootie23]
As many homos as there are in the U.S., you'd think it would be all the rage.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:23:30 AM EST
In before Techno Viking.
View Quote

Fuck techno Viking! We need some Kill__Moone the tecktonik dance girls up in here!

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:25:30 AM EST
because it sucks
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:27:39 AM EST
Not sure what music scene you're looking at, but EDM is huge here right now, and very much in the mainstream.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:28:54 AM EST
Because it is sucky, gay, shit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:32:06 AM EST
I must say though that many of the chicks that dance to it are the HOTT!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:33:45 AM EST

The only place I've seen it's popular is Florida. I've been listening to digitally imported for 10 years and all if it comes from everywhere in Europe, or Florida, maybe a little bit from NYC.
View All Quotes

So wrong. We have a thriving EDM scene in Colorado. Just to name a few EDM labels/promoters doing awesome stuff here: Sub.Mission Dubstep, Pretty Lights Music, Triad Dragons.

I know it's thriving here in CO a bit more than most places, but I'm sure that every major market has a scene of some sort.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:34:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By Dru:

Fuck techno Viking! We need some Kill__Moone the tecktonik dance girls up in here!

http://youtu.be/zKvpvBlfxDg

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dru:
In before Techno Viking.

http://youtu.be/zKvpvBlfxDg

Plain girl is plain.

All hail Technoviking!

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:34:35 AM EST
Bad memories of gay bars?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:34:47 AM EST
Originally Posted By ValleyGunner:

View All Quotes
because it sucks

It's for tweakers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:35:44 AM EST

View Quote

Plus this.

Erroneously referring to all electronic music as "techno", then complaining that there isn't a scene sounds kinda dumb.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:36:19 AM EST
I like house and I always thought UK hardcore was great, the raves there are fun. Here I don't know, its ok, I like it in the car, but that's it. Then again I like a ton of different things..I like variety, not sure why one type has to dominate.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:37:26 AM EST
I need a few beans , first . . .
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:37:39 AM EST
Ten seconds into OP's video and my head was about to explode!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:37:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By usjet:

It's for tweakers.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By usjet:
because it sucks

It's for tweakers.

No. Tweakers are meth users. MDMA (ecstacy/Molly/E/X) is the drug of choice for EDM listeners, and it is not anything like meth.

Some good MDMA and a talented EDM artist make for a VERY fun time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:40:32 AM EST
It's so 1978
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:40:36 AM EST
Originally Posted By JesseCJC:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JesseCJC:
Originally Posted By ae1:

Agreed! Just a bunch of Noise! Turn that $hit off kiddo!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:40:36 AM EST
Originally Posted By 2minkey:
it's retarded.

we already have plenty of other retarded music here.

the market is saturated.

View Quote

This.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top