Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 9:12:39 PM EDT
Curios. Is it to keep it from being tracked back to you via ATF?

Lots of theories, that's just one.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I did it because everyone else was doing it.

I didn't want to feel left out.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#2]
You looking for motives?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Curios. Is it to keep it from being tracked back to you via ATF?

Lots of theories, that's just one.

Ben

We all got together and decided to do it just to piss off any resident ATF trolls.  Not saying you're one or anything.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I presume you mean on online photos, where people obscure the s/n.

Standard practice:   Keeps bad apples from reporting your gun stolen, or from engaging in other bad conduct.  

When I sold and bought antique pocket watches, this was also the practice.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#5]
There's no telling what the monkeys fine upstanding government workers at the ATF are logging.  

You would do it for the same reason you wouldn't post your real name, telephone number, etc.

For the record, I'm Mike Jones and my number is (281) 330-8004.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I presume you mean on online photos, where people obscure the s/n.

Standard practice:   Keeps bad apples from reporting your gun stolen, or from engaging in other bad conduct.  

When I sold and bought antique pocket watches, this was also the practice.

Hmm I see. Most people on Gunbroker don't even cover up the SNs on the gun being sold.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:51:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I do the same thing with my guitars  also  .
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:54:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't post photos of anything that shows a visible serial number. That way some asshat can't copy it down and claim that I stole something from them. It's just common sense.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:33:57 AM EDT
[#9]
My reasoning for blocking the S/N from view, is so someone can't report it as stolen, as well as from other curios eyes.

I try to edit the full S/N out of the image without using a 'paintbrush'... I usually leave it blank, or like below, the S/N was cleanly replaced.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I am not worried about the ATF, I'm worried some bozo will try to paste my serial number onto his gun to avoid detecting he stole and/or manufactured it.  Another kind of identity theft.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top