Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2017 8:30:43 AM EDT
Pretty annoying. Have worn the same prescription contacts for years and years yet most sites won't let me order online without having a "current" prescription.

Any sites that don't require this?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#1]
So people whose vanity insists that their prescription has been the same for years can't order the wrong shit, crash into a schoolbus and then sue the vendor for allowing them to be a moron.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So people whose vanity insists that their prescription has been the same for years can't order the wrong shit, crash into a schoolbus and then sue the vendor for allowing them to be a moron.
View Quote
So couldn't that be done to lasik users too using that logic?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Because people can't be trusted with their own health without harming themselves.

OR

If you're feeling lucky and/or hate having vision, guy buy contacts at a flea market.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
so doctors can make more money
View Quote
Pretty much

I assume someone is getting money on the back end of the deal
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Lawyers!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Visiondirect.co.uk is what you seek.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:41:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure if you think that people who get LASIK never go to an eye doctor again, or you think people order doctorless LASIK over the Internet...  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it's the first one...

Yes, Virginia, people who get LASIK should still go see the eye doctor to ensure their eyesight isn't changing.  As time goes on, the eye hardens and the shape alters, so that LASIK isn't a silver bullet forever.  It's generally assumed that you'll need at least reading glasses at some point.  Additionally, going to the eye doc once a year allows them to do things like test for glaucoma, which is handy if you don't want to be blind.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
To pay for insurance because someone orders the cheap kind that don't fit,  gets a nasty gram and goed blind.  Then finds a lawyer to sue the pants off the last doctor.

Every time you think of inflated health care costs think lawyers first.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
OP PM me on more details with this above. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found out about the place here in one of these threads. I have ordered a few times and never had any problems.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use this one, have for past 6 years no problems.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pretty annoying. Have worn the same prescription contacts for years and years yet most sites won't let me order online without having a "current" prescription.

View Quote
You don't need a prescription if you order from sites based in the UK.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Eye exams really aren't that expensive and probably a good idea after so many years anyway.  Sometimes people convince themselves their eyes haven't changed when that's not the reality.  Not saying that's the case here.  

Not everything out there is a scam to get all your money.  I know that's contrary to the Arfcom credo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Because it's an FDA regulated medical device that requires a prescription to sell it to you.

Maybe you can grab some in Mexico without a script though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm not sure if you think that people who get LASIK never go to an eye doctor again, or you think people order doctorless LASIK over the Internet...  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it's the first one...

Yes, Virginia, people who get LASIK should still go see the eye doctor to ensure their eyesight isn't changing.  As time goes on, the eye hardens and the shape alters, so that LASIK isn't a silver bullet forever.  It's generally assumed that you'll need at least reading glasses at some point.  Additionally, going to the eye doc once a year allows them to do things like test for glaucoma, which is handy if you don't want to be blind.
View Quote
Also using your logic, I can order glasses online without a current prescription.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:59:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

Uh Huh, same thing this cool person said before seeing me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:02:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Because contacts can seriously fuck your eyes up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I've been wearing contacts for over 20 years. I'm so fucking sick of being told I need to have an exam every year just to order them. It annoys me so much that when I finally go for the exam and order more, I'll order a multi-year supply. As many as I can afford at the time, just so I don't have to go through the pita yearly exams for no good reason.

If I'm having a problem then sure, I'll go. But I've been doing this forever, my script rarely changes, and I don't get eye infections because I understand how to easily avoid them. Nothing bad has happened to me.

Stop trying to protect me from myself and sell me more contacts!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I used to order from a European site that shipped out of Portugal, though haven't in a number of years and they changed their name so I don't remember who it was.

Same box, same lenses as you get in the States.  Just took 2 weeks to get.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:23:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

To pay for insurance because someone orders the cheap kind that don't fit,  gets a nasty gram and goed blind.  Then finds a lawyer to sue the pants off the last doctor.

View Quote
Maybe, but explain how its the same for glasses.

I think they should deregulate it. I've had -3.00 in both eyes since 1998.

Also found out the big goggles they put you behind (where they say "which is clearer, A or B") are really just for show- the Dr told me so after I pressed her about it. She said the computer scanner I sat behind at the beginning of the visit reads the surface of your eyeball and they get all the data you need from that. Although they do check for other things that make it worth going every so often.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Also found out the big goggles they put you behind (where they say "which is clearer, A or B") are really just for show- the Dr told me so after I pressed her about it. She said the computer scanner I sat behind at the beginning of the visit reads the surface of your eyeball and they get all the data you need from that. Although they do check for other things that make it worth going every so often.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh.. no. The autorefractor ("computer scanner") gives an OBJECTIVE reading of your prescription, which they then use the phoropter ("big goggles") to get a SUBJECTIVE reading and fine-tune based on your preference. It's not a conspiracy. When you get to the point where you think A and B, 1 and 2 are the "same", it's getting so fine tuned at that point that the difference is indiscernible.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've been wearing contacts for over 20 years. I'm so fucking sick of being told I need to have an exam every year just to order them.
View Quote
Dude, there are tons of websites either in Canada or UK that will mail you contacts without a prescription.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#26]
The same reason the service dept of a dealership will make recommendations on paper every time you bring it in, even for an oil change. They don't want you to have your brakes burn out and then turn around and say "I just had it in the shop".

It's liability.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Dude, there are tons of websites either in Canada or UK that will mail you contacts without a prescription.
View Quote
Got a link?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#28]
I have ordered from these folks several times. Not exactly next day of course, since it comes from the UK, but quick enough.

Next Day Lenses in the UK
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Because they are a medical device.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#30]
i use nextdaylenses.com

they always got the same stuff my eyedoc recommends
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Because they are a medical device.
View Quote
Yet I can walk into just about any store in Germany and buy them off the shelf right next to the sauerkraut and pretzels.

I'm not saying they aren't a medical device per se, but you'd think the Germans of all people would regulate the hell out of something like that. Hell, I can't buy Advil with out talking to a pharmacist over there. But contacts?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/248320/32557-288105.JPG

View Quote
Wtf is that?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#33]
It's a good idea to get your eyes examined yearly.  You only get one set of eyes, they don't grow back, and they are irreplaceable.  You can live without a tooth if it gets infected, but living without two good eyes will change your life quickly.  Eye exams are not that expensive, if you consider how valuable your eyes are.  

I was in the "my eyes haven't changed for years" crowd, then I finally went and discovered I had slight astigmatism now.  Got new lenses, and the red dot in my RDS is much sharper.

Also my wife has had ten eye surgeries, with both lenses replaced by artificial lenses, and a vitrectomy in her left eye.  She can't drive at night anymore.  We take eyes serious in our house.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#34]

I feel your pain, OP.

I used to get script and order all I could from Walmart to get by at least few years.  Now, I stock up mainly when I visit Thailand and I can always get an exam if I feel a change for 40 bucks.  Here in Lithuania they have vending machines, that's right, vending machines in supermarkets, malls, airports, etc. with contact lens.

Other countries see things differently about a lot of things medical wise.   You can walk into pharmacy in many countries and if you can say what you need they will sell it to you.

On the other hand, all the excuses to limit your freedom (to buy any contacts/glasses you want) posted in this thread are the same excuses used by the libs to argue you shouldn't have firearms and/or ammo.  And folks here will rationalize it the same way, it's for your own good.  Talk about crazy.  

Tyranny is tyranny folks.  Whether used to limit your owning a black rifle or buying a box of contact lens..........

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are many Canadian based online contact vendors who do not require paper work.  They are a little more money, but  depending on the situation sometimes worth it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Fda regulates contacts because they go in your body
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes...same issue for me.....have used this for two years.  In London....takes a little longer...but no prescription....order whatever you want.

https://www.nextdaylenses.com
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/248320/32557-288105.JPG

View Quote
SURE!...ur must be part of the kabal of optometrists trying to maintain their lifestyle...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#39]
people actually dont go to the eye doctor every year?

what's the worst thing that could happen? go blind?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Uh.. no. The autorefractor ("computer scanner") gives an OBJECTIVE reading of your prescription, which they then use the phoropter ("big goggles") to get a SUBJECTIVE reading and fine-tune based on your preference. It's not a conspiracy. When you get to the point where you think A and B, 1 and 2 are the "same", it's getting so fine tuned at that point that the difference is indiscernible.
View Quote
The Doctor said it was for show, her words. She said its what they've done for decades, they are slow to change.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The Doctor said it was for show, her words. She said its what they've done for decades, they are slow to change.
View Quote
You should switch doctors if that person told you the above.  The autorefractor makes life more efficient by finding the refractive error in a split second (we still can do it manually with a handheld ophthalmoscope, but it takes several minutes to do), but the measurements and numbers it spits out is just a BASE LINE ESTIMATE, not the ACTUAL prescription.  Corneal edema, straining, squinting, accommodative spasms, will affect the output of the autorefractor and by the time the exam is done, I can guarantee you the numbers are different, sometimes by a large margin.  Regardless, testing your eyes for function, correcting it for optimal vision is just one part of the exam.  The other part is to check on the overall health of not just the eyes, but sometimes it may lead to diagnosis of systemic conditions/disease (ie uncontrolled diabetes, hypertension, etc)

The picture above is someone (let's call this person X) I saw at beginning of summer, who couldn't bare the pain any longer after a few days, thinking it will be go away and be fine.  X has worn CL for many years with no problems, with the usual "irritation and dryness when the contacts gets old, I'll just stop wearing CL for a day or two and they're good again".  Problems pop up quickly and this happens in a blink of an eye, pun intended.   With culture sampling of X's corneal tissue, it was determine to be fungal and bacterial infection secondary to CL wear.  Luckily I was able to save that eye with aggressive treatment, granted it's scarred severely and X cannot see good out of it any more.  It could easily get to SHTF in no time and have a complete meltdown from fungal and bacterial infection and have to be enucleated.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#42]
I promise you if the urologist told you that your dick could stop working if you don't go see them every year that they'd be the largest field in medicine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#43]
the simple solution is to do what I do.

go get an eye exam and get a prescription. Then order 2-3 years worth of lenses.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is the same for glasses because the doctor is still held responsible for your eye health.

So they still get sued.

My in laws winter in Texas.  Lots of people they know go to Mexico for dental care and optical.  One lady went over, sat behind the auto refractor and had an "exam."  She left with new glasses.  She lost her sight because of wet macular degeneration.  She sued the last US doctor she saw and settled out of court for an undisclosed sum.

So the doctor that had not examined that patient in years, pays, because she chose to forgo proper examination and self treat with new glasses.

Now, I don't care if you want to buy glasses or contacts without a current Rx, but if you do, don't sue anybody because your decision making screwed you over.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, I think of Obamacare first.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Zenni optical.... you key in your prescription yourself.

after the eye place wanted 700$ for two pair I went to Zenni and ordered a pair of r sunglasses for 140$....  havent ordered the second pair yet.  I wanted to make sure they were good to go.  yes. they good to go.

http://www.zennioptical.com/glasses/Full-Rim-Plastic?Gender=Men&Prescription=Single-Vision
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Actually, I think of Obamacare first.
View Quote
Yep, more lawyers at work.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It is the same for glasses because the doctor is still held responsible for your eye health.

So they still get sued.

My in laws winter in Texas.  Lots of people they know go to Mexico for dental care and optical.  One lady went over, sat behind the auto refractor and had an "exam."  She left with new glasses.  She lost her sight because of wet macular degeneration.  She sued the last US doctor she saw and settled out of court for an undisclosed sum.

So the doctor that had not examined that patient in years, pays, because she chose to forgo proper examination and self treat with new glasses.

Now, I don't care if you want to buy glasses or contacts without a current Rx, but if you do, don't sue anybody because your decision making screwed you over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So they still get sued.

Show me one case.

I see the exact opposite. I have high mercury levels as evidenced by blood tests, symptoms of mercury poisoning, and have no route of mercury exposure except via Thiomersal from Dristan in the early 90s. I had started a thread and multiple people said the mercury preservative caused them problems. Yet the company that produced it was allowed to remove the mercury preservative without any issue or admittance of wrongdoing. They even used it in kids vaccines until about 2000.

Drug maker Wyeth removed a mercury compound from a popular nasal spray more than a decade ago to skirt warning label requirements, but continued using the chemical in infant vaccines for several years until it came under pressure to stop.

To avoid placing a mercury warning on its Dristan nasal decongestant spray, Wyeth in 1990 launched an "extensive project" to develop a substitute for thimerosal, an antibacterial chemical containing mercury, a senior scientist for Wyeth said in a statement filed in Los Angeles.

Proposition 65, California's toxics alert measure, offered a choice between a warning or reformulating Dristan to eliminate thimerosal, which is nearly 50% ethyl mercury, a neurotoxin.

Wyeth has been shipping a thimerosal-free version of Dristan into California since 1994, scientist Gary Agisim said in his May 6 declaration in Los Angeles Superior Court, where a class-action suit under Proposition 65 is pending against Wyeth and dozens of other companies.

But the company kept using thimerosal in two of its pediatric vaccines until 2000, stopping after federal health authorities -- concerned about infant exposures to mercury -- called on manufacturers to voluntarily remove the chemical from kids' shots. Because prescription drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration are exempt from Proposition 65, vaccine makers had not been forced to choose between using warning labels in California or reformulating their products, as Wyeth was with Dristan.
So you're telling me that its too dangerous to allow people to rebuy the same prescription they've been using for forever.... But not too risky to put mercury in kids vaccines? C'mon
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
He might be totally blind. How could his eyesight get any worse?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top