Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 9:46:51 PM EDT
They say "I do not intend to ever get married again. Are you going to be ok with that before this goes any further?" They say yes, but then 18 months later get all broken up and start crying when you tell them you still feel the same way.

FYI, I'm 48, divorced twice. Son and step son all grown up and productive people. Own my own home. Seriously into shooting in competition. She's 42, divorced 3 times, has a 12 year old son, rents, and since I introduced her to guns has become quite addicted to shooting them.

Did I mention we work at the same company?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#1]
She's divorced 3 times and want's to get married again?

Unless I misunderstood your post, that's just stupid.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They say "I do not intend to ever get married again. Are you going to be ok with that before this goes any further?" They say yes, but then 18 months later get all broken up and start crying when you tell them you still feel the same way.

FYI, I'm 48, divorced twice. Son and step son all grown up and productive people. Own my own home. Seriously into shooting in competition. She's 42, divorced 3 times, has a 12 year old son, rents, and since I introduced her to guns has become quite addicted to shooting them.

Did I mention we work at the same company?

Divorced.. Guns... She's gona kill you in your sleep....

I will now return to my regular scheduled programming.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Divorced.. Guns... She's gona kill you in your sleep....

I will now return to my regular scheduled programming.

Run .....  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
She's 42, divorced 3 times

No offense intended her since I don't know anything about your situation or your girlfriend, but that compass only points south my friend.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know?  Why do guys (since we are generalizing here) feel that women want something from them in the first place?  For some unknown reason maybe she got attached to you, even though the other two didn't.  I did find it interesting that you mentioned that you own and she rents.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

44 here . Other then that , I could have written this myself .

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You understood correctly.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 12:13:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Let's see....you are fincially responsible, you own your own home, you're a 1/2 way decent guy, a great smile, and decent morals.

ANd you are wondering why she wants to marry you?  

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:08:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Run, Forrest, RUN
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:32:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Because women think based more on emotion than logic. As time goes by, a relationship strengthens even if one of the person's involved doesn't not want a formal attachment. Maybe she had hope that things would change as the relationship progressed. There is nothing wrong with having a little hope for some kind of future.

It is commendable that you are up front with your feelings, and you should definately stand your ground. IMO if two people truly love each other, a relationship can be wonderful even without the formality of marriage. In some cases, it just puts a damper on things when one or both people start taking each other for granted because there is some piece of paper that states they are married.

If you promise your heart to her and you are faithful, I feel that should be enough, However, if you are in a relationship, but you still always put yourself first and act like your single (for the most part), then you really aren't in a true "relationship" anyway.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:35:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

True...it seems after one divorce a person would be more cautious about what they enter into. Some people never learn...
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Marriage can ruin a perfectly good relationship.

To be perfectly honest, I don't understand it either.  After being happily divorced for 13 years, I was recently caught by the man of my dreams, but I don't think that marriage is even an issue.  

I might give it up and live with him (take a test drive, so to speak).  Maybe sometime next year.  Maybe not.  We'll see how things shake out.   But I'm not counting on that or anything else to make me happy/feel complete.  I wasn't looking for someone when we hooked up, and so what we have just adds to my previously content existence.  It's a bonus.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:52:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't know?  Why do guys (since we are generalizing here) feel that women want something from them in the first place?  For some unknown reason maybe she got attached to you, even though the other two didn't.  I did find it interesting that you mentioned that you own and she rents.

.....Well, I've never met a woman wanting to go out with a McDonalds employee vs a neurosurgen. I've noticed women warm*-up to your job=($$) before they know anything else about you since we're generalizing.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#14]

.....Well, I've never met a woman wanting to go out with a McDonalds employee vs a neurosurgen. I've noticed women warm*-up to your job=($$) before they know anything else about you since we're generalizing.

OK still generalizing, I don't know how many people marry someone who is ALREADY a neurosurgeon, usually they DO work at McDonald's until they finish school.  Again generalizing here, there are many married people in here and I wonder how many married any kind of surgeon.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

OK still generalizing, I don't know how many people marry someone who is ALREADY a neurosurgeon, usually they DO work at McDonald's until they finish school.  Again generalizing here, there are many married people in here and I wonder how many married any kind of surgeon.

...OK..your right! I would not think a McDonalds employee and a neurosurgen "run" in the same circles nor the women fishing for the surgen. She'd probabally be a nurse. However I hope you get my point. Women try to marry up* the food chain. Because they want what the other person will provide for THEM for the long term.YMMV
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

44 here . Other then that , I could have written this myself .

You could be my long lost twin.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

...OK..your right! I would not think a McDonalds employee and a neurosurgen "run" in the same circles nor the women fishing for the surgen. She'd probabally be a nurse. However I hope you get my point. Women try to marry up* the food chain. Because they want what the other person will provide for THEM for the long term.YMMV

I still don't agree with you on everything, but I get your point and we aren't supposed to rag on the men that come in here making wild generalizations.  My brother married 2 of the women you are talking about and he has been in hell since he was 18 (me too cause I love him).  I on the other hand would not trade my hard working, blue collar, husband for a 100 surgeon's or whatever.  We have BOTH worked very hard for the things we have in our life, he is a very fine man and I am glad to share my life with him.  
  I apologize to any I may have offended.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe for the same reason that I tell a guy I don't want a serious relationship, he 'convinces' me I do and then he conveniently changes his mind.  What a jerk (him, not you ).
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Opps, forgot to answer your question.  Women know better than to believe what men say since 99% of it is BS.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Opps, forgot to answer your question.  Women know better than to believe what men say since 99.314159% of it is BS.

I corrected that for ya
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:55:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Just so you know in the USA

Your first marrage has a 50% of failing.

Your second has a 63% chance of failing.

Do I really need to tell you 3 or 4?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:02:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:09:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Sounds like she has a history of wanting her cake and eat it too.  It's just cake time again!

Tj

cake ?

who want's cake?

bring on the pie!

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:18:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top