Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/14/2009 11:34:46 AM EDT
Around my town and others I am seeing more and more police officers using Ford Explorers, Yukons, etc. instead of Impalas, Chargers, and other more fuel efficient sedans. I could understand in the winter time because of snow and these vehicles have four wheel drive, but why are they used when it would use much less fuel to utilize a sedan and save taxpayers money?

The officers I see using SUVs are not towing anything or hauling large amounts of people, many of them are sitting in the middle radaring people, etc.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#1]
most are K-9's around here.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#2]
K-9s and/or rough weather/terrain usage.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#3]
What makes you think they give a shit about taxpayers' money? There's always more.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
K-9s and/or rough weather/terrain usage.

K-9 is understandable as is rough terrain.

Something else I just thought about it that the SUVs are more heavy duty in their suspensions and tranny and may last a lot longer than a sedan.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#5]
In my town right now it's snow.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#8]
because they aren't paying for the gas.  You are.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What makes you think they give a shit about taxpayers' money? There's always more.

This.  They have budgets to use up.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#10]
The V-8 cars that are driven by most police are not really more fuel efficient than an SUV in most cases.  I know my local PD did a recent study and chose to go with Chevy Tahoe's to replace their Crown Vics that were being phased out.  The Tahoe get's the same milage as their Crown Vics.  You have to remember, there is a lot of heavy equipment that goes into a police cruiser and that pulls the gas milage rating down a bit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe the firefighters can drive priuses because they are fuel efficient, too.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Around here K9 and SWAT.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  They have budgets to use up.

Yup. Use it or lose it!
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

In ALOT of towns, the guys in the SUVs are carrying more gear that hopefully you can't see. TruckVault FTW here.

If your town is small enough that your 'SWAT Team' and/or 'Bomb Squad' are a couple guys with extra training & extra gear in their car, who have to do 'normal cop' stuff every day unless they're called... Putting those dudes in an SUV (so they can have their 'go time' stuff locked up in the back of the truck) makes sense...

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Normal patrol officers pack a Crown Vic to the limits, add on all the crap a SWAT guy needs and a Tahoe or Expedition's a very attractive choice.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:45:02 AM EDT
[#18]
The Explorer actually gets about the same mileage as a Crown Vic or Maquis, so any departments that transitioned from those sedans to SUV's wouldn't have had much to debate about regarding mileage.  Obviously not the case for Impalas etc.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#19]
They also hold up better than small cars for cops. My impalla is teeny tiny in the drivers compartment and the suspects compartment. I wish i had more room to move around, store my gear ect.

Also, like somebody said, you get rough terrain even in the city. I drive over curbs all day to get my car out of the street and into the median on traffic accidents, to get through parks and fields so my car is close to multiple suspects that i may need to detain and not have to walk one at a time back to my car, ect.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#21]
there are pros and cons to everything.

SUV will sit higher and give better visibility and hold more gear.

sedans are faster and handle better for high speed pursuits. and achieve a bit more "stealth" when on the road.

as far as lasting longer, the SUV's are not that much more durable, they tend to get abused more because they are trucks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Explorer actually gets about the same mileage as a Crown Vic or Maquis, so any departments that transitioned from those sedans to SUV's wouldn't have had much to debate about regarding mileage.  Obviously not the case for Impalas etc.

My Impala get's about 14 miles to the gallon. They suck for patrol use.

That won't stop the haters from bitching about switching to SUV's though.

Quoted:

I think my Truck gets 4-6 mpg depending on who's driving.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Impala get's about 14 miles to the gallon. They suck for patrol use.

Damn, I thought those got much better mileage.  All that gear dragging down the MPG?
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Scion Xbs for ambulances.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I got to ride in the back of one of those SUVs; there was no room. I had to sort of sit sideways.

I'd hate to be one of three or four guys locked up in the back of one.

the front seat had no room, after the laptop &c was in there.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#26]
They're probably getting a deal from Ford/Chevy.  For a while there they couldn't hardly give SUV's away.
That, and with all the gear they load their cars down with, the MPG probably isn't any worse between an SUV and a V-8 full sized car.  Add in the ability to have 4WD for the northern climates or those depts whose territory covers a lot of dirt and gravel roads.....seems plausible.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:00:14 PM EDT
[#28]

so how are they in high speed chases?
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

this!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#30]
My brother's agency did a study that showed in the long run through fuel and maintenance costs, the Tahoes were going to cost them a couple hundred bucks a year less to operate. Plus throw in the benefit of carrying all the extra shit like traffic cones, a box of flares, extra ammo, rain jacket, evidence kits, blah blah... The spare room is great.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The V-8 cars that are driven by most police are not really more fuel efficient than an SUV in most cases.  I know my local PD did a recent study and chose to go with Chevy Tahoe's to replace their Crown Vics that were being phased out.  The Tahoe get's the same milage as their Crown Vics.  You have to remember, there is a lot of heavy equipment that goes into a police cruiser and that pulls the gas milage rating down a bit.

Yeah, a lead fucking foot.

Look, sometimes I realize they simply have to go, right fucking now.
but the whole cruise around town and floor it off the green light each and every time is clearly "well, it's not my gas".

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
In ALOT of towns, the guys in the SUVs are carrying more gear that hopefully you can't see. TruckVault FTW here.

If your town is small enough that your 'SWAT Team' and/or 'Bomb Squad' are a couple guys with extra training & extra gear in their car, who have to do 'normal cop' stuff every day unless they're called... Putting those dudes in an SUV (so they can have their 'go time' stuff locked up in the back of the truck) makes sense...

or maybe ............
your town doesn't really need a SWAT team at all, except for ego building, etc.

nah, that would save money, can't have that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Many great responses guys!

I feel less inclined to be bitter when I see this occurring now as I didn't know all the stuff they have to carry to do their job.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if you represent the lollipop guild...
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Better visibility - both for the officer and the public.  I don't know about you, but I like seeing police cars.  I don't like the discreet patrol cars that some agencies use (like the CHP, all white crown vics with light bars inside instead of on top) just so they can write more tickets more easily.

More cargo capacity

4x4 - it is winter after all

Going up/down curbs is less destructive to the vehicle

And Tahoes get pretty similar gas mileage to crown vics, from what I hear.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Because they have more room for the officer and all of his gear.

One cop doesn't need an suv to carry his gear that's ludicrous. The average street patrol cop does not need an suv.   When my dad was a cop a crown vic could carry plenty.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

or maybe ............

Doesn't NEED swat?  WTF are you smoking.  Ever heard of John Joe Gray?
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#38]
where I last worked they were for supervisors and sgts.

k9 got the oldest POS car

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if you represent the lollipop guild...

wat u talkin bout willis?  it's all ego brotha, they don't need those big fire trucks or ambulances.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Police on the island (Padre Island, Corpus Christi) here mostly drive Ford F150s.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One cop doesn't need an suv to carry his gear that's ludicrous. The average street patrol cop does not need an suv.   When my dad was a cop a crown vic could carry plenty.

Cause it was how they did it 30 years ago that's how they should do it now?

My Grandpa rode in a soft top Willy's jeep in WWII, and we won that war, so should we run those over in Iraq too?
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:14:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cause it was how they did it 30 years ago that's how they should do it now?

My Grandpa rode in a soft top Willy's jeep in WWII, and we won that war, so should we run those over in Iraq too?

+1

some people live in their own little goofy world.....
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

or maybe ............

When it's your kid in the school that's being held hostage, would you rather have a professional SWAT team or a Officer Joe Blow who barely knows what end the bullet comes out of handling the situation?

You want them showing up on scene without the right gear cause it wouldn't fit in the car? Or a clusterfuck of a trunk full of gear where they can't find what they need quickly?
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Here in NYC, they have very strict rules about vehicle pursuits. (Basically, they're a no-go.)

With that in mind, the city should just see about a sweet-heart deal for a Prius fleet.

Shit... the traffic guys already use them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

or maybe ............

Much as I am usually on the other side I must say I'd rather a town have some swat trained officers and never need them in that roll than they not have them and we need them. As long as they are not sitting on their asses all day collecting a check they don't cost much more than a regular officer and the extra capacity is welcome.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
there are pros and cons to everything.

SUV will sit higher and give better visibility and hold more gear.

sedans are faster and handle better for high speed pursuits. and achieve a bit more "stealth" when on the road.

as far as lasting longer, the SUV's are not that much more durable, they tend to get abused more because they are trucks.

PPV Tahoes are faster, and will go through the curvy stuff better than a CVPI
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#49]
How much time is spent idling these fuckers btw?  Two idling V8's, I believe, get the same gas mileage.  

I can understand more room, but for what exactly.  I just don't see the need for traffic use.  

There is a local town here called Dalworthington Gardens in the middle of Arlington, TX.  These fuckers have a huge tax base due to being in the middle of some very nice homes/properties.  THAT and they have a hell of a deal on a stretch of four lane road, with a middle turn, that was mainly paid for by Arlington, that generates a shit ton of money.  Even has a school zone in it.  Also, they have small two lane roads they refuse to upgrade and only have 35mph limits on them.  Needless to say they generate a ton of revenue.  

Well, they have Tahoes, and even a 6.0GTO for traffic duty.  They have no freeways, or any roads that even remotely need a GTO.  Oh, and no off roading needed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#50]
My area is very nice and VERY VERY LOW crime, and every cop has a new 2006 and newer large V8 SUV.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top