Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/18/2013 7:46:54 PM EDT
What's the big fucking deal?

I grew up in a fundamentalist Protestant household where even the utterance of "dang" was demonized. I understand not taking the Lord's name in vain, but I'm just talking about your regular, everyday shit talk.

I also understand but disagree with those that think foul language makes one unable to clearly communicate if they use fucking cuss words. This thread ain't about that, so kiss my cock if you post here demeaning my ability to make my point with dirty words.

I was talking to a churchgoing neighbor yesterday who was trying everywhichway to dance around the truth about something without outright lying and I called him out for blowing smoke up my ass. I knew he was fucking lying, or wanted to, and said as much. He feigned insult at my coarse speech. Now, he was just being a chickenshit about the whole ordeal, but the question struck me.

Why do holy rollers look down on people for using profanity?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#1]
"Profanity is a weak mind trying to express itself strongly".

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Because they are allowing not staying on track with what they should. It is a problem within a lot of churches, there is more focus on petty meaningless things rather then the message itself.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Because it makes the baby Jesus H. Christ cry.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I grew up in a fundamentalist Protestant household where even the utterance of "dang" was demonized. I understand not taking the Lord's name in vain, but I'm just talking about your regular, everyday shit talk.

I also understand but disagree with those that think foul language makes one unable to clearly communicate if they use fucking cuss words. This thread ain't about that, so kiss my cock if you post here demeaning my ability to make my point with dirty words.

I was talking to a churchgoing neighbor yesterday who was trying everywhichway to dance around the truth about something without outright lying and I called him out for blowing smoke up my ass. I knew he was fucking lying, or wanted to, and said as much. He feigned insult at my coarse speech. Now, he was just being a chickenshit about the whole ordeal, but the question struck me.

Because they think they gots the inside scoop on getting to heaven...they don't ofcourse..brought up South Baptist myself, I believe in God, I don't push it down people throats and I have been known to drink, dance an utter the occasional F-Bomb...as soon as he lied to you should have hit him with something and started screaming release the DEMONS< RELEASE THE DEMONS.......or something to said effect..

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#5]
One of the most vocally colorful people I know is a Christian.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#6]
For some people, religion is about appearing to be good rather than simply being good.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I've know quite a few VERY devout Christians *AND* one Mormon who cuss enough to make a sailor blush.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I don't know, but I find it funny that people get all bent the fuck outta whack over some four letter words.

Who decreed that "cunt" is a bad word? Why four letter words? Why not five or three letter words? Wait, is ass bad? I thought that's a donkey? Who decided Richard is a penis? Why do people hate pussy cats and not puppy dogs? Why isn't my cock called a puppy? Fuckin' hell man, it's just words. Language is fun, I like it. Everyone should embrace cunts and cocks and fucking, but not faggotry, unless you're gay... in which case... have a cock up yer ass for me, I guess.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#9]
By and large they do not.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm what I guess you'd call a born-again type, baptized Catholic but actually found Jesus while attending Lutheran church about 2 years ago.  I've been working in food service, construction, or manufacturing since I was 16, and now that I want to start volunteering with our church's youth group, I am REALLY going to have to clean up my language.  I am always motherfucking some fucking thing or another.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
"Profanity is a weak mind trying to express itself strongly".

RIF
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

For some people, religion is about appearing to be good rather than simply being good.

Uhhh....

So are you saying that Christians who cuss are those people who really are simply being good but don't care about appearing good? Or are you saying Christians who cuss are PRETENDING to be good, but are really "bad" because...afterall... they cuss?

The Christians I've known who cuss and don't think anything of it... typically were the ones I felt were most sincere about their faith. They simply don't care if someone is going to judge them or deem them "unChristian" because they used "bad words".

When the bible talks about not cursing, it really means don't insult people, and don't wish bad things on people. Like... don't say "I hope you die!". The bible doesn't really say anything about cuss words. However, the bible does seem to say somethings about filthy language. So saying words like fuck, shit, piss, asshole, etc... are permissable... but saying something very graphic and disgusting might be frowned upon.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I draw a difference between crude language and taking the Lord's name in vain. As long as ladies and children aren't present a fuck or a shit isn't going to hurt anything. Remember, only cuss if you mean it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhhh....

So are you saying that Christians who cuss are those people who really are simply being good but don't care about appearing good? Or are you saying Christians who cuss are PRETENDING to be good, but are really "bad" because...afterall... they cuss?

The Christians I've known who cuss and don't think anything of it... typically were the ones I felt were most sincere about their faith. They simply don't care if someone is going to judge them or deem them "unChristian" because they used "bad words".

When the bible talks about not cursing, it really means don't insult people, and don't wish bad things on people. Like... don't say "I hope you die!". The bible doesn't really say anything about cuss words. However, the bible does seem to say somethings about filthy language. So saying words like fuck, shit, piss, asshole, etc... are permissable... but saying something very graphic and disgusting might be frowned upon.  

Church teachin' is that cussin' / cursin' / swearin' is a venial sin you must confess.

And us youts spent a lot of time confessin' to cussin' because we hadn't the nerve to confess what all we really did.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Several of my coworkers, even after years of working with me, cannot grasp that concept that a practicing, theologically conservative Christian can also have something of a potty mouth. Eh, I tend to be "vocally colorful" when I get stressed or pissed off.

As for the rest of the time, I've got a large vocabulary, so I'm not swearing out of an impoverished vocabulary.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

As for the rest of the time, I've got a large vocabulary, so I'm not swearing out of an impoverished vocabulary.

At least your foot traffic wasn't accosted.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I know a devout Baptist deacon that almost weekly adds to his vocabulary a different "cuss word" that's not part of the standard American cursing lexicon.

"stank dawg"
"no-good junk bumbler"
"hawg jowled monkey"

I applaud and laugh at his inventiveness, but it's still cussing as far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#18]
That sure is a broad fuckin' brush you're painting with

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#19]
who fucking knows
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I feel the same here. Also southern baptist and all that. But who in the fuck says that fuck is a bad word?! Why isn't hair? Or wood? Mop? Etc. it's ludicrous.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You know how MLK talked about the content of character rather than color of skin?

Similarly, I consider the content of the statement rather than the color of the language.

Perhaps that's due to my own penchant for profanity, I dunno.

As far as religion is concerned, I don't believe Athiests or Jews are more or less inclined to curse than Christians.

I don't believe religion plays much of a part, other than possibly in school teachings... and not all Christians attend Christian schools.

It's more of a "proper manners in polite company" kind of thing taught at home, and I am quite proper when appropriate.

I suspect that's the case with most folks who've had a decent upbringing.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Maybe some people in this world choose not to tolerate it... Virtue does not mean everyone must tolerate all behaviors, like we are all taught nowadays. Religion may or may not have anything to do with it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I feel the same here. Also southern baptist and all that. But who in the fuck says that fuck is a bad word?! Why isn't hair? Or wood? Mop? Etc. it's ludicrous.

Just don't go reachin' for my puppy.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know a devout Baptist deacon that almost weekly adds to his vocabulary a different "cuss word" that's not part of the standard American cursing lexicon.

"stank dawg"

"no-good junk bumbler"

"hawg jowled monkey"

I applaud and laugh at his inventiveness, but it's still cussing as far as I can tell.

You make an interesting point that I've never even considered before...

That's still cursing/cussing in spirit.

Kinda funny when you think about it.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#25]
The whole concept of cursing is a human invention, therefore God and religion's involvement are human inventions as well.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Incredibly insightful.

But when they are really good, they are the best people I have ever met.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Because some omnipotent being that created the sun, the earth, all the planets, life, and the entire universe actually gives a fuck about the sound that air makes moving across our vocal chords...

...yeah, that's it.

pathetic.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I've leaned over more than one table at a restaurant and asked the patrons to refrain from such language. (EVERY time....they were embarrassed that it reached that point and apologized).  

You want to use offensive words among your friends....fine by me, but when I (or my wife) has to put up with it, I'll let you know.

Our society is full of people not giving a crap about how their actions effect others.

I was raised in a different era, I guess. I still care if I offend someone and don't go out of my way to do so.

Morals....remember them?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just don't go reachin' for my puppy.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I love The Lord. Fuck the devil.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Just something else to hold over you

When they swear, it's ok.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't really understand why some words are swear words.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Lack of verbal sophistication. People have forgotten the finer points of cursing vs. profanity vs. vulgarity vs. obscenity.

Castigation and condemnation of cursing (calling down evil; the opposite of blessing) is the only realm where religion has any reasonable dominion over the sanctity of language. Everything else is fair game.

If a well-intoned, vigorous profanity is the best you can call up in a situation, so be it. If you're just playing for shock value, have a nice hot cup of shut the fuck up instead.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Just something else to hold over you

When they swear, it's ok.

Presumably Christ would never say "Fuck that guy" and we're supposed to be Christ-like.

I'm not very Christ-like apparently, because I'm all like "Fuck that guy" on the daily.

I doubt I'm goin' to Hell for that.
It's all the other stuff.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Lack of verbal sophistication. People have forgotten the finer points of cursing vs. profanity vs. vulgarity vs. obscenity.

No, some of us just like to orgy in all of it.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I am pretty strong in my religious convictions but use profanity quite a bit.
I'm not an angel by any means. Just a man.
I am inconsiderate doing so because it offends others.
If they are so offended that they want to condemn me from then on, then the problem is theirs more so than mine.
I try to never take the Lord's name in vain because that is one of the worst things I can do for all the blessings He has given me.
Using four letter words don't carry the same gravity that abusing the Lord's name does.
And most of those ready to condemn others for profanity don't even realize it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Perhaps it is due to a literal interpretation of Matthew 12:36

"But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment."
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#38]
It's a self discipline/self control thing I think. I could certainly stand to control my language a bit better.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Romans 12

Romans 12:1-2~ Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.......

Ephesians 5:4 ~Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.

Collosians 3:8-10 ~But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth. Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator.  

There's many more verses that touch on the subject, but the simple answer is Christians are supposed to be living a Holy life.... not acting like the world!

- Clint

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:36:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Would you swear in front of a judge in court? If not then why? Fear of added fines and punishment or is it respect? Your language is how you represent yourself and is an indicator of your inner self. Religion teaches self betterment and a higher power. I personally think using profanity is a lack of control over your emotions and vocabulary. Bridle your passions and control your tongue. Aside from the lack of vocabulary as a reason for swearing, it seems to be a general lack of respect for those having to listen to it. If you don't care about swearing then don't care that others do not use it or appreciate it being used at them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#41]
why do you care?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#42]
James 3:9-10
Colossians 4:6
Psalm 19:14
Ephesians 4:29
Ephesians 5:4
2 Peter 2:18
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've leaned over more than one table at a restaurant and asked the patrons to refrain from such language. (EVERY time....they were embarrassed that it reached that point and apologized).  

You want to use offensive words among your friends....fine by me, but when I (or my wife) has to put up with it, I'll let you know.

Our society is full of people not giving a crap about how their actions effect others.

I was raised in a different era, I guess. I still care if I offend someone and don't go out of my way to do so.

Morals....remember them?

I understand where you're coming from, but that's not particularly a curse-word problem.

It would be just as fucking egregious to speak in such a way that those nearby are offended if one is sternly quoting bible verses as if they are jocularly calling each other cock gobbling nut nibblers. The profanity has not a fucking thing one to do with it.

Also, I would be offended by some self-appointed Morality Police chastising me in public for some undefined, unintended slight known only to generations long past or to some sheltered enclave. You should go out of your way to avoid offending people who curse.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
... You should go out of your way to avoid offending people who curse.

QTF. They could be cock gobbling nut nibblers.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Simply put, if we didn't then you would say "see, they're no different than me". Christians are to live above reproach, and while we aren't perfect and do not think ourselves superior, we don't want to conform to this world. PM for more if interested.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Romans 12

Romans 12:1-2~ Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.......

Ephesians 5:4 ~Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.

Collosians 3:8-10 ~But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth. Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator.  

There's many more verses that touch on the subject, but the simple answer is Christians are supposed to be living a Holy life.... not acting like the world!

- Clint

None of that indicates an "aww shit" when your truck catches fire is completely verboten.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Ok, I'm a heathen. I participate in GD, haven of filthiness, foolish talk, and crude joking.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#48]
I can make a sailor blush. My wife nags me for it now that the baby is coming. Im good around company and at church but I dont hide who I am. Was brought up Catholic but converted to being protestant.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#49]
The answer is in Ephesians.

ETA:  I answered the thread title, but not the last question in the OP.  Christians should not be looking down on anyone.  Christians should humble themselves before everyone.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Castigation and condemnation of cursing (calling down evil; the opposite of blessing) is the only realm where religion has any reasonable dominion over the sanctity of language. Everything else is fair game.

If a well-intoned, vigorous profanity is the best you can call up in a situation, so be it. If you're just playing for shock value, have a nice hot cup of shut the fuck up instead.

Am I supposed to say golly gee when I break a bone or smash an appendage?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top