Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 2:54:50 PM EDT
I work out with a few police officers and today they had an officer with them who was severly out of shape.  This guy started weezing after a five minute run.  I was talking with a patrol sergeant who told me that was not even the worst guy in there unit they he said that they had an officer who could not even tie his own shoes he was so fat.  He wore velcro so he could tie his shoes with his feet.  Isnt it stupid to get out of shape when you might have to deal with a 300 pound solid muscle suspect.  I have a friend whos dad went shooting with us and could not hit center mass at fifteen feet with his glock 40. Isnt police work very dangerous shouldnt officers be working out and preparing themselves for a worst case situtation
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Shouldn't we all?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Chronic Sinker Syndrome  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Because most departments do not have a PT program.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

isnt that really stupid.  Do officers spend a lot of time on the range or do they let shooting ability erode to?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Weird schedules, uneven eatting habits, etc.The newer generation of officers take better care of themselves, but then the posters here call them robocops because they AREN'T out of shape. The officers can't win.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I've heard that before....from the fat cops who use it as an excuse to remain that way.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:04:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No Shit? (Honestly)

My office is just down the road from the Tulsa PD's training center. I see those guys running every day (not just the same officers either.) Save for a coupla sheriff's deputies, I can't think of a seeing a single cop who was grossly out of shape.
Seems to me that the OHP in particular maintains some very fit troopers.

Maybe I should try to be "contacted" by more Johnny Law's to get a better daata set
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Getting fat isn't limited to just police work but plagues most Americans. I see what you're saying though, people in this profession due have a higher need to be in better shape.

If it were up to me my department would have physical standards at least comparible to the fire departments but for some reason most LEAs barely have any sort of physical standard.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

isnt that really stupid.  Do officers spend a lot of time on the range or do they let shooting ability erode to?

Most I knew did not shoot much either.

Being an LEO is one of the few jobs which require you spend a great deal of your off time keeping your skills up. I worked out 3-5 times a week, took karate lessons and spent almost every Sunday out on the range. ALL on my own time.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#10]
its the shitty schedule they have to endure.............. try getting up to dinner at 8:00am!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#11]
The younger guys are all staying in shape, its all the old cops who got out of shape  and now are stuck with it. Unless ya really exercise , sitting in a car all day and high stress will take its toll on ya.  Some local dept's. now have qual's for PT.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most I knew did not shoot much either.

Being an LEO is one of the few jobs which require you spend a great deal of your off time keeping your skills up. I worked out 3-5 times a week, took karate lessons and spent almost every Sunday out on the range. ALL on my own time.

damn thats an officer who knows that the life is dangerous and is ready to kick some ass
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#14]

It's just a fucking job
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Stress

Diet

Lack of exercise program
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#16]
The other day somebody robbed a bank here an escaped on a bike....I heard the news on and looked up to see a picture of a bank and an investigating officer that looked like a bowling ball with a hat and belt.  I thought, well that explains the getaway.

I think Firearms traing varies by dept.  I know of one Sheriff in this area who was anti-gun.  Took away most of the range time and ammo unless you did it on your own.

I was talking to the maintenance guy at the City PD where I was doing some work.  He said they only let them use the state of the art indoor range they just built a couple of years ago twice a year.  He also said if they ever shoot at you to stand real still and look like a bad-guy target, then he could guarantee they would not hit you.

Personally I think LEO need more support from the dept's than that.

Dan
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Some of my local cops are disgusting fat.

And the majority are "overweight".
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

so, when you know your life and the lives of others may depend on your fitness, that's not enough encouragement to train on your own?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The other day somebody robbed a bank here an escaped on a bike....I heard the news on and looked up to see a picture of a bank and an investigating officer that looked like a bowling ball with a hat and belt.  I thought, well that explains the getaway.

I think Firearms traing varies by dept.  I know of one Sheriff in this area who was anti-gun.  Took away most of the range time and ammo unless you did it on your own.

I was talking to the maintenance guy at the City PD where I was doing some work.  He said they only let them use the state of the art indoor range they just built a couple of years ago twice a year.  He also said if they ever shoot at you to stand real still and look like a bad-guy target, then he could guarantee they would not hit you.

Personally I think LEO need more support from the dept's than that.

Dan

My department only issued ammo for semi-annual qualifications. Any other shooting was done with your own funds.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#20]
The answer is they are human. And like many humans they will not do anymore than what is required of them. It's not a cop thing; it's a human nature thing.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Courts have consistantly thrown out height & weight standards as well as other fitness standards for public employees.

LE, like any shift work with lots of call backs,  makes it hard to find time to eat right and work out.  alot of people spend the time they could be using in the gym trying to catch up on sleep or spending time with thier families.  Additionally cops are expected to continue their education now. So you are always trying to juggle, work, family, call backs plus working on your Bachelors if you want to be a Sgt or Investigator and Masters if you want to be a Lt.

I'm usually able to get to the gym an hour a day four days a week.  Sometimes illness, injury, and mandatory overtime interfier with that though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amadu Diablo (sp?) 5 officers, 40+ rounds fired, close range and only 14 hits.......

It's the donuts....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's the other end of the spectrum... and yes he's a real cop.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#24]
blame on donut shops... they get all free donuts..
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#25]
But Do they have boxes of donuts  in break room , Do they?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
But Do they have boxes of donuts  in break room , Do they?

Quoted:

The closest we could get to donuts was the local stop and rob.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amadu Diablo (sp?) 5 officers, 40+ rounds fired, close range and only 14 hits.......

It's the donuts....

Okay. I'm not a cop bashing or a police apologist, but I like to stick to the facts.

Try this. Run a 40 meter dash, draw a gun and fire at a man sized target while someone fires live rounds over your head.

How well will you do?

Try it after sitting in a car for a few hours too.

Or actually have them shoot at you. Wear a vest though, it helps constrict your breathing. Or at least  I was told that they aren't exactly made to help you breath deeply at least, it may depend on which make and model you use.

Granted I've seen the way some LEO's shoot at the range and it isn't as stellar as you would hope someone that carries a gun for a living would be able to perform.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I would love to workout more but my time is limited due to having to clean my issued Glock 18 and MP5K all the time!!!! Funny but true!!!

I think cops are human and like most people they can be prone to laziness. I personally run 3 miles 3-4 times a week. I am not much of a weight lifter, but I get to the range at least 2 times a week depending on my travel schedule. Lucky for me I get all the ammo I want to keep my skills high as my current job requires it.

I also have a high metabolism too!!!

Semper Fi,
ASO544
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Here's the other end of the spectrum... and yes he's a real cop.

www.bodybuildbid.com/articles/mrolympia/imgs/coleman/colem5.jpg

Non regulation uniform, just like Dangle!  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#30]
cops are just like everyone else.  younger guys many of which are like you work out more because that is the way you grew up.  many older guys did not have the benefit or discipline to always work out.  long hours constant overtime, family commitments, paying for their kid's education takes time this time has to come from somewhere.  8,9 10 or twelve hour tours have to take their toll somewhere sometimes there just is not the time. something has to give.   when you get a little older, you too will not be doing 6 minute miles.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The younger guys are all staying in shape, its all the old cops who got out of shape  and now are stuck with it. Unless ya really exercise , sitting in a car all day and high stress will take its toll on ya.  Some local dept's. now have qual's for PT.

Getting older has an effect too. You get close to 40yo and the body just ain't what it was at 20yo.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#32]
The only agency I'm aware of that has physical standards that must be met is the California Highway Patrol.  They're tested every quarter and given $$$ incentive to keep in shape.  However, for the fat ones, after 4 consecutive failures, it's off to the unemployment line. No more ducats and doughnuts when you're out of a job.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#33]
The dunkin donuts shit is soo stupid.

Don't people know most cops go to DD for the coffee???
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#35]
I've never understood why any public safety personel would allow themselves to get out of shape.  I see it with firefighters and paramedics regularly.

On my department though, there's growing peer pressure to maintain a decent level of fitness.

Oleg Volk caught my sentaments well;

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The answer is they are human. And like many humans they will not do anymore than what is required of them. It's not a cop thing; it's a human nature thing.

+1

No matter what job, there are some that are in shape and other folks aren't. Plus, some folks understand that doing a good job isn't limited to the timeclock.  The mindset of "well since they aren't paying me to do PT or go to the range, I aint gonna" limits how far most of those type of people go in life.  

I think the intent of the original poster is that as a police officer,  your life may depend on being in shape  and being a good marksman, and he can't imagine why a cop would choose to be fat and a poor shot.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Well you made a blanket statement but here goes

Stress will cause all kinds of Hormonal inbalance in a person

Depression--- I'd venture to say that like the rest of the population there's a fair amount of LEO that suffer from it causing some to overeat and not exercise

Overtime--- Some guys work alot of Voluntary overtime
                 Some Dept's have Mandatory overtime
( Back in the 80's in my Dept Officers were forced to work as much as 80 hours a week, you couldn't say NO )

There's guys on my Job that are in excellent shape
And there's others that are Fat Lazy Slobs
Once you've made it thru the Academy there's no physical requirements

A guy once told me years ago " If you need something done get an Inmate, the heaviest thing you're gonna pick up on this job is your coffee cup "
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#38]
the same reason anyone does
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:19:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#41]
same reasoin everyone else does, they sit alot and are lazy.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#42]
We get fat because food tases so good, just like everybody else.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

What?  You can't do anything unless the deptartment provides it for you?

How silly!

Walk or exersize on your own time like everyone else does.

Sgfat1r5
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Illinois State Police has ongoing fitness standards. I think 1 failre get's you on the ROD squad, #2 gets you fired.

But who get's to decide what is "in shape"?

ISP's tests are heavily weighted to running. Very limited strenght requirements.

Someone posted all the athletes and celebrities that are listed as obese per BMI............. Brett Favre, Shaq, etc.

Where do power lifters fit into this?

What about a guy that can bench 300+, but can't run very well is he out of shape?
What about a marathon runner, or tri-athlete that can only bench 120?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top