Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2004 5:49:02 AM EDT
Just been wondering since just about every apt complex in my patrol area has them.  What's the dealio?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:49:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Gets rid of the evidence?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:51:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:51:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Marking terrritory?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:52:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:53:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I understand it is a sign of gang activity.  I've also heard the color/type of shoe indicates which drugs are available in the area.

Who knows???

I'd love to find out the meaning though.

That's what I've heard, as well. <shrug>
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe they just got done seeing the movie "Wag The Dog"
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:55:08 AM EDT
[#7]
That's a sign that there's a place to buy drugs in the area.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:55:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Retail drug location.

See the shoes. Pull over to the side and flash your lights a couple times. See how long it takes for someone to come up and ask what you want.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:55:36 AM EDT
[#9]
It is for the dead homeys
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:56:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Houses with shoes on the powerlines are supposed to be selling drugs.  That's how it started.  I think it's now turned into kids just being stupid.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:56:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Retail drug location.

See the shoes. Pull over to the side and flash your lights a couple times. See how long it takes for someone to come up and ask what you want.

Wow, I guess you do learn something every day.  Drug dealers "Shoes over power lines code".
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:57:26 AM EDT
[#12]
When I worked out in south central l.a, you couldn't drive a block without seeing a pair of sneakers dangling from the power lines.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:57:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Retail drug location.

So if I do that in my patrol car this evening you think someone will sell me some shit?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:58:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Retail drug location.

So if I do that in my patrol car this evening you think someone will sell me some shit?

What are you looking for?  I can get you anything you want homey!

SGtar15
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:58:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Retail drug location.

ghetto enterprise has no boundries
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:58:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:59:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Someone might be dumb enough to yes

If they are, that should make dumb crook news, you'd be famous!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:00:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Retail drug location.

Depends on if you're 'known' in the hood.

When we lived in the ghetto, the street corner guys had different whistles for different 5-0. 'Good' ones had one signal. Clean cops had a different one.

You knew the po-po was rolling through because you could hear the whistles going up the blocks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:00:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Retail drug location.

That depends on how much they abuse their own product.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:01:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Here is the answer...sorta.

Sneakers

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:01:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Retail drug location.

That depends on how much they abuse their own product.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:03:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Its a common practice at Army installations to throw a pair of boots up on the powerlines upon ETS from the Army!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:04:00 AM EDT
[#23]
No, no, no.  It's just mean kids being mean.

A group will either make some kid take off his shoes or they forcibly remove them.  Either because they don’t like them or are jealous of their shoes.

They then tie the shoelaces together and giggle and chortle as they try and toss them onto an overhead wire.  

Its mischievous bullying - pure and simple.  Don’t see too much of it anymore either because it’s such an old trick or possibly due to the fact that trying to take someone’s clothing now a days is a good way to end up shot.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Its a common practice at Army installations to throw a pair of boots up on the powerlines upon ETS from the Army!

Yep, that's pretty common practice. Everywhere I was stationed there were boots every where. I asked my teenagers about the gang/drug things and all I got was the "WTF is wrong with him?" look.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Retail drug location.

\

Im not police, but I had a silver crown vic with a spotlight, I dress in BDU style clothes with close but hair.  2 people tried, now I drive an Impala, they now think Im selling instead of buying.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Nothing like a bunch of suburban white guys hypothesizing about ghetto drug culture

Beekeeper has it right
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It is for the dead homeys

Exactly!!!! its the dead man shoes
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Its an Army tradition gone wrong!  I don't know how long it has been going on but soldiers who were ETSing from the Army were "hanging up their boots" but since the early 80's that I know of.  Surely it has been going on much longer. I doubt if we picked the habit up from drug dealing gangs.
I slung my boots in 1988 and heard that the guys tasked with getting them down had difficulties. They were wrapped around the span several times out in front of my unit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I think it is a sign your in the wrong area.  Turn around and head the other direction if your not looking for trouble.  But if you are it means lock and load.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Whats with the drug reasoning for throwing sneakers over power or phone lines? I am 47, grew up in Philly and we threw them over lines...Why?...The main reason was to see if you could, secondly it was always a good chuckle to see them hanging...lastly you had to get rid of them ayway.

It's a city thing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I'll tell you why. It's because kids do it. Kids have always done it. When I lived in the city when I was a kid we did it just for the sake of doing it. You throw your old sneakers over the line when you get new ones. I've heard that thing about the neighborhood being a drug location and it's bullshit. If anything, it's a coincidence that drug infested areas have lots of kids who hang out on the street all day. Nothing more to it.

Now I see Retched Rick's post. We probably grew up in similar areas. NY for me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

So what's it?

1.  Drug area indication
 2.  Death body in the vinicity
 3.  Army ritual
 4.  Bullies
 5.  All of the above

I occasionally see it, but have no idea WTF it means.  Help a brother out.

Read the above 2 posts or ask somebody who actually grew up in a city. You'll get your answer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I can't answer the shoes over the power lines dealie, but what has driven me stark staring nuts for about 40 years is ONE SHOE in the breakdown lane.

For years, I've driven for MILES tryint to find the other shoe with no avail.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:14:14 AM EDT
[#36]
when i was young, my brothers and i, hung my sisters barbie dolls from the wires, just like the shoes are seen now, but it was just for fun, i bet some people thought it meant that the house was full of prostitutes, hmmmm
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:32:45 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't know about this drug shit yall are talking about....But I remember back as kids years ago, we would tie up our burnt out skippies and throw em up there just for the hell of it.  I guess times have changed.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:48:02 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, that's pretty common practice. Everywhere I was stationed there were boots every where. I asked my teenagers about the gang/drug things and all I got was the "WTF is wrong with him?" look.

yes, it is an unofficial Army tradtion for ETSing
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:59:11 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

So what's it?

1.  Drug area indication
 2.  Death body in the vinicity
 3.  Army ritual
 4.  Bullies
 5.  All of the above

I occasionally see it, but have no idea WTF it means.  Help a brother out.

My guess......

You are about to enter a area where Garbage, Trash and the Scum of the Earth live.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 6:19:32 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
No, no, no.  It's just mean kids being mean.

A group will either make some kid take off his shoes or they forcibly remove them.  Either because they don’t like them or are jealous of their shoes.

They then tie the shoelaces together and giggle and chortle as they try and toss them onto an overhead wire.  

Its mischievous bullying - pure and simple.  Don’t see too much of it anymore either because it’s such an old trick or possibly due to the fact that trying to take someone’s clothing now a days is a good way to end up shot.

I get the feeling that you have a personal story about having you shoes taken that you might want to share with the class...
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#41]
They do it because they can. Don't try to read too much into it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 7:45:11 AM EDT
[#42]
here - snopes has an answer - the short of it is - no one knows why...

http://www.snopes.com/crime/gangs/sneakers.htm

If you have alot of it in your area, its probabaly just the cool thing to do...
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Answer:

Back in the days of Chuck Taylors and Pro Keds, kids would have one pair of gym shoes that they kept in their lockers at school.
On the last day of school the tradition was, to celebrate by throwing the sneakers over a wire.
This began in the Northeast back in the 40s and 50s.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Well, I lived in South America for a couple years - Ecuador, specifically.  It has been done there for a LONG, LONG time.  They do it for sporting events (specifically, soccer).  The winning team gets to do that to the shoes of the losing team as incentive not to lose.  If it's done for other reasons here, it has mutated from that original purpose.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#45]
To piss off the owner of the shoes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
To piss off the owner of the shoes.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Retail drug location.

\

Im not police, but I had a silver crown vic with a spotlight, I dress in BDU style clothes with close but hair.  2 people tried, now I drive an Impala, they now think Im selling instead of buying.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I get the feeling that you have a personal story about having you shoes taken that you might want to share with the class...

Yeah - it's right up there with the story of when I was 12, on a fishing trip with my uncle, and got attacked by a bear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top