Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/16/2009 6:26:09 AM EDT
Seriously, who drives 10 miles under the speed limit on the highway and/or drives the speed in the left lane?

Nothing makes me want to rage more.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#1]
It should be encouraged to move out of the way of people who speed.  Overall, I feel this would reduce traffic problems almost as much as having the speeding people stop speeding.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:28:48 AM EDT
[#2]
What drives me nuts are the people who on a wide open, straight road, will be on their brake the whole way down a hill, and then have to crawl up the other side. They seem to give no consideration to making the momentum work for them.

But then again, most people driving an automatic only know turn the wheel left to go left, right to go right, pedal on the right makes you go fast, pedal on the left makes you slow down.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:30:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Until recently Ohio had highway speeds of 65 for passenger vehicles and 55 for vehicles of 8 tons.

I get 26 mpg at 55 and 16 mpg at 70.  I set my cruise at 55.

Now all of our speeds are 65, so I set my cruise at 65.  People still seem pissed, but that is the speed limit......

Dan

(ETA I always stay in the right lane.....)
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:30:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:30:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Seriously, who drives 10 miles under the speed limit on the highway and/or drives the speed in the left lane?

I drive like a little old grandmother want to make something of it?!

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:30:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'm guessing your average highway speed is somewhere north of 80mph.  Rage-inducing behavior comes in many flavors.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:32:02 AM EDT
[#7]
removed

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:32:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My grandmother takes offense to this thread

When you are 83 years old, you might want to slow the hell down some too.  Not everyone is in a hurry to get where they are going.

Or has the reflexes and response time to react to a problem at 80mph.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:32:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm guessing your average highway speed is somewhere north of 80mph.  Rage-inducing behavior comes in many flavors.

I think the average speed of the left lane should be 10mph over the speed limit. If you aren't doing that, you need to get the hell over.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:33:28 AM EDT
[#10]
The left lane slow drivers are not only ignorant and rude, they are also very dangerious...usually drive with an attitude that the world owes them something, then they stay there to make the exit ramp with 500' left.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:33:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Maybe they're not in a hurry.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:34:23 AM EDT
[#12]
"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

- George Carlin

PS as someone who has track time in a car, I find myself driving a lot slower than I used to ... something about formal training that puts you off driving like a lunatic.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you, "Hypermiling"
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:34:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I do it just to piss people off,where the hell are they in a hurry to get to in Michigan anyway? It sure ain't work.
I usually do about 5 over the limit no matter what lane I'm in, there is no fast lane the speed limit is the same all across the freeway. If that's not fast enough pass and get over it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:35:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then why are they in the left lane?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I drive a Unimog -"slow" is the only speed it'll do!  

-but I do stay in the right lane with it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I do it just to piss people off,where the hell are they in a hurry to get to in Michigan anyway? It sure ain't work.
I usually do about 5 over the limit no matter what lane I'm in, there is no fast lane the speed limit is the same all across the freeway. If that's not fast enough pass and get over it.

Why would you enjoy pissing people off by going slow? Maybe they, unlike you, have important places to be.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:38:38 AM EDT
[#18]
90% of times these same people are who talk on the phone constantly while driving.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:39:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then why are they in the left lane?

They're inconsiderate assholes?

There will always be inconsiderate assholes.  I just take this as a fact.

I work at not getting my blood-pressure up over things I expect and cannot change.  Sucks, but that's just the way it is.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:42:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Now I definitely respect my elders but there has to be some limits.  I live in an older establsihed area of town with a lot of elders that do their "errands" and it causes traffic to slow down.  Like I said I respect them so they get the benefit of the doubt, BUT!!!!,,,,  they really should put the damn cell phones down!  

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:43:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Its only gonna get worse as the baby boomers continue to lose their eyesight as well as their hearing and reflexes.  Already they drive with about as much vigor as they have sex.  I'm not saying they aren't trying, I'm just saying its a tedious thing to have to watch.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:44:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Not as bad as people that park on an entrance ramp to wait for an opening even though there's 1000' of merge lane that's unoccupied in front of them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I hate having to drive around noonish because it seems like all the people out are either to old to drive, talking on their cell phones not paying attention, or eating in their cars not paying attention, and they are all doing 37 in a 45.

I enjoy the fact that I start work early and finish late so I miss most of the idiots, but if I have to drive during the day, you're right, nothing makes me want to put a fist through the glass quicker that some idiot going slow for absolutely no fucking reason.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:45:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you are 83 years old, you might want to slow the hell down some too. Not everyone is in a hurry to get where they are going.

The overwhelming majority of people do not.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:46:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would you enjoy pissing people off by going slow? Maybe they, unlike you, have important places to be.

They should have left on time...or even early.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:46:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Besides having such an important place to be they also have a steering wheel and accelerator pedal and if they realy feel crafty they can use the turn signal first and move over and pass.
I see no reason whatsoever to change my driving just to make someone else happy and it is fun to see soccer moms two feet off my bumper turn redder and redder instead of doing the passing thing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:47:38 AM EDT
[#27]
JERKS drive slow in the fast lane

Yesterday I passed a woman doing 55 in a 60 on a paved county road

As I passed she had accelerated to about 70 mph.

Then she kept pace behind me at 60 for about a mile

some kind of anus mental idiot
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:51:20 AM EDT
[#28]
The left lane is for passing, not pissing.  If you are at a comfortable speed you should be doing it in the right lane.  

Some folks just don't see it that way.  They lack consideration for other motorists and place themselves above the rules.  Or they are stupid and clueless.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:53:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm guessing your average highway speed is somewhere north of 80mph. Rage-inducing behavior comes in many flavors.

I think the average speed of the left lane should be 10mph over the speed limit. If you aren't doing that, you need to get the hell over.

Should everyone be in the right lane at intersections, so that you can run the red light in the left lane?

(I drive 70-75 in the middle or right lane. It's safer to stay out of the way of aggressive drivers. But it's also safer for aggressive drivers to just slow the hell down. I'm doing my part. How about if the asshole speeders do theirs?  That's out of the question, though, since asshole speeders feel entitled to drive however the fuck they want - just like the asshole slowpokes who feel it's their right to impede traffic.)

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:59:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Besides having such an important place to be they also have a steering wheel and accelerator pedal and if they realy feel crafty they can use the turn signal first and move over and pass.
I see no reason whatsoever to change my driving just to make someone else happy and it is fun to see soccer moms two feet off my bumper turn redder and redder instead of doing the passing thing.

You proved my earlier point. I see immature jackasses driving like you all the time on I-96.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I drive a Unimog -"slow" is the only speed it'll do!  

-but I do stay in the right lane with it.

+1, except mine's a CUCV.  When gasoline was over $4/gal I did the same with the Suburban.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:09:11 AM EDT
[#32]
If I hit the lottery and won an amount in excess of $100million I would buy a shitty car and intentionally hit people's cars. It might get my license taken away but I'd pull over, tell them they're a total fucking asshole, then give them a handful of cash to make repairs to their car.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:09:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Texting while driving.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Huh?  What makes people drive so damn fast they can barely control their vehicle?  What makes people think that the left lane is where you need to drive all the time especially at night?  What makes people think that............

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#35]
removed
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#36]
You talking about the people who seem to drive in a totally random fashion? You know, as in if they actually get somewhere, it's a fucking 1 in a million accident based on some huge statistical odds against it? I HATE those people.

I drive with purpose. If I'm on the road, it's because I have somewhere to go. I'm not out clogging up the roadways like an unwashed window licking idiot. I don't think it's too much to expect that the people above be removed from public roadways until they can prove they no longer drive while stupid.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#38]

I think that depends on the state.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Texting while driving.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Nothing makes me more pissed off....  If you are going to drive like a grandmother get the fuck out of the way. Stay in the right lane where you belong. My biggest pet peeve is people who are constantly on their brakes, nobody is braking in front of them but they are on/off/riding the brake pedal. I tend to go a little overboard in that situation, people really need to learn how to COAST!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I think that depends on the state.

It is a universal truth which is law in only some states, but that sign was in Michigan.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:29:33 AM EDT
[#42]
the worst are the ones that drive 10mph under in the middle lane. They don't want to deal with all the confusion of cars getting on and off the freeway and stay in the slow lane, so they hop into the middle lane causing everyone who wants to do at least the speed limit to work there way around them to avoid getting rear ended.

If your in the fast lane expect to do at least 15mph over.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

because the f'ing traffic police let them get away with driving like shit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#44]
while you are at it, it is a turn signal ! use it before you turn !

I always get out of the way of speeding ass holes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:34:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:34:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you are 83 years old, you might want to slow the hell down some too.  Not everyone is in a hurry to get where they are going.

When the reflexes and vision start to go its time to hand over the keys.  Its no different from being drunk.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:36:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
JERKS drive slow in the fast lane

Yesterday I passed a woman doing 55 in a 60 on a paved county road

As I passed she had accelerated to about 70 mph.

Then she kept pace behind me at 60 for about a mile

some kind of anus mental idiot

I've had this happen numerous times. They'll usually try to keep you out of the passing lane or try to prevent you from returning to the driving lane. I just move over no matter where they are at that point. They usually are forced to take the shoulder then. Then....they chase you, flip you off ,yap flapping at you. Play stupid games, win the shoulder.
Here in WI on any given Sunday afternoon on multi-lane north south highways, the left lane becomes the driving lane and the right lane becomes the passing lane due to cranial-rectal inversion.
As far as going slow, I think the law is minimum 45mph on the interstate.
I can understand older people driving slower due to slower reflexes. That's just being safe.
To purposely restrict the flow of traffic for no apparent reason, would in my opinion signal some form of mental disorder.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#48]
It's simple really, if you don't want me driving the speed limit in front of you; leave earlier next time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:38:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's simple really, if you don't want me driving the speed limit in front of you; leave earlier next time.

Or you can get your ass in the right lane.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
90% of times these same people are who talk on the phone constantly while driving.

Hang up and drive

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top