Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 8:11:22 PM EDT
Specifically gun items,for example:

Haven't used it, just mounted and no range time.

Purchased in the fall of 2004. Mounted on rifle and shot one (1) time.

I'm selling my brand new ....... that has never been mounted etc

These quotes were all clips from the EE.

Why spend $900+ on something to just stare at it ? I really don't get this syndrom.Is it some people just have to have the latest and greatest to stare at while they are surfing thinking to themselves "Ya,I got one of those" ? I swear some people spend 3-4k on a AR15 with ALL the Gucci goodies just so they can say they have it.I have seen numerous rifles in the EE in un-fired (or 100 rounds)condition with Larue,ACOG etc. mounted on them.

When I got an ACOG,I went to the range the next weekend and fired 500 rounds,and thought to myself "Shit,the hype was right'this fucking ACOG rules!!!"

I really don't understand this,so maybe these Gucci gear commando's that have never fired more than 100 rounds through thier $4000 AR15 can chime in and enlighten me.

How many people here have a TA31RCO that they are just bragging about,but have never actually used it ?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Impulse shoppers or people who liked it at the time then finally go and shoot it a year later to discover it sucks
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds like they're selling unused "tactical" stuff.  I dont get into the tactical stuff myself.  I use old fashion tactics - aim, squeeze trigger
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Impulse shoppers or people who liked it at the time then finally go and shoot it a year later to discover it sucks

What about the people that have never used the TA31 they purchased,but are selling it to get a TA31RCO ?

Quoted:
sounds like they're selling unused "tactical" stuff.  I dont get into the tactical stuff myself.  I use old fashion tactics - aim, squeeze trigger

No,those were all WTS ACOG ads.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Why do people buy things and not use them ?

It seemed like good idea at the time......

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why do people buy things and not use them ?

It seemed like good idea at the time......

Yup.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#6]
When I posess a fireamr there are 2 things I have to do with it, it's beyond my control like theievery for a cleptomaniac.

1.Possess ammunition for it. If there's a weapon in the house and I don't have ammo for it it really really irritates me like a hemmorhoid. I'll blackout and the next moment I'll be standing where I was with a bag from the local funshop full of the very same ammunition in question.

2. I'll have to fire it regularly or else it'll drive me crazy. It'll be in the back of my mind just picking at me, driving me up a wall.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Maybe they are just now realizing money can't buy happiness.  Everyone, I think, at some time in their life, thinks that this do-dad or that widget is all they need to be happy.  When they have it, they aren't so they think they bought the wrong thing, sell it and try again.  

Also, for some, the thinking, dreaming, planning are  the biggest pleasures.  After THE RIFLE TO END ALL BATTLES is built, they move on to something else.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Maybe they are just now realizing money can't buy happiness.  Everyone, I think, at some time in their life, thinks that this do-dad or that widget is all they need to be happy.  When they have it, they aren't so they think they bought the wrong thing, sell it and try again.  

Also, for some, the thinking, dreaming, planning are  the biggest pleasures.  After THE RIFLE TO END ALL BATTLES is built, they move on to something else.

YMMV.

Money can buy my happiness.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

YMMV.

]N o the thrill comes from the pursuit of  MASTERY of the weapon. When you can hit a pea-sized target at the maximum effective range, then you tell me that you've mastered your weapon.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Maybe they are just now realizing money can't buy happiness.
YMMV.

Money may not be able to buy happiness, but it can sure as hell make one helluva down payment.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I've started dozen's of projeects; guns/cars/ect., and then changed my mind and took the projects in differnt directions. Sometimes 2-3-4 times on one project. Then I need to sell what I'm not going to use, to finance what I need to buy for the new project direction. Sometimes I've bought what I thought I needed or could make work on a project, only to find the correct or better item, or one closer to what I want to do with it.
When I stumbled onto ARfcom, many years and accounts ago, I was looking for parts to customize a .22 project I was working on. After that the .22 project went in a MUCH different direction.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Hang on, I'll go ask my wife..................
......shopping addiction.

AB
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hang on, I'll go ask my wife..................

......shopping addiction.

AB

+1

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I dunno.

I'll let you know if I ever get the semi auto parts I ordered to complete my 1919 kit...
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Different srokes for different folks.  I have 3 rifles I have yet to fire.  The cherry rifles are : 2 SBRs, a 10.5" and a 14.5", and a A4gery sporting a TA31 (never used.)  Haven't fired em yet cause I haven't had the time.  Plus I have 5 other ARs lying around to shoot along with more pistols than I can recall at the moment.  Can't take em all to the range every time.

PS I'd love a TA31RCO, but I'd never trade or sell my unused TA31 to get one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:42:23 PM EDT
[#16]
They planned on using it when they bought it.

Now they realize that they haven't used it, probably won't, and want something else anyway.

What's the big deal?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:59:31 PM EDT
[#17]
If you don't use it, you don't have to clean it
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#18]
So many guns, so little time

Look at it this way, they provide you with the opportunity to purchase like new items at a discount
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:18:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I tend to think there are 2 kinds of gun owners: shooters and fondlers.
Shooters equip their weapons for the task at hand and treat them as any fine tool but they show honest use.
Fondlers like gizmos and do-dads. They consider firearms similar to trophies and bring them out to polish them and show them to friends but seldom if ever shoot them.
I know several fondlers. They are the ones to buy from. Their weapons have been well oiled and cared for but seldom used.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:40:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I dunno.

I'll let you know if I ever get the semi auto parts I ordered to complete my 1919 kit...

I just bought 3 AK kits and am planning on getting the VZ58 and CZ26 kits next. Why? BC if I don't now I might never be able to afford them again.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:44:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:11:01 AM EDT
[#22]
 well lets see ive built 4 AR15s this year  i have 2500 -3000 in mycolt m4 with troy forend with tao1nsn and off set tac laser put 200 rounds tru it put it in safe.  then built a dissy with aim point  50 rounds then into the safe . i sold a rra m4 with sir m45 that had 50 rounds tru it to finace my next build a recce carbine with parts from wes at mstn and optics from Muller aprox $1400 but no room in safe (too many Ars ) so im going to sell a cav arms coustom serial # lower with a cryro barrel that is set up as a varmiter  ive put 20   rounds tru to check function............
my point is BRD is a addicton and there are those of us that have it and have a membership to the gun of the month club yes you will see ads that state new un used never fired just mounted and looked at (how many can you shoot at one time? )  all i know is that  i have feed my addiction off those type of posts at a good discount  god blessem Keep em coming
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:41:20 AM EDT
[#23]
This has made me unpopular on the other board I frequent.

I suspect that ALOT, more than you would think, of purchases (especially tactical gun stuff) are made not becuase of the utility it provides...

but rather, how the purchasor views the item in question will make him look in the eyes of others

I see that at the range alot with pistols made on rifle recievers. (AR/AK/etc).  Little practicality (that couldnt be better served with another firearm), but it looks really evil to the guy with his kid shooting the 10/22 in the next lane and the kid might exclaim "Oh man look at that" thus incremently increasing the sack size of the user.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:46:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I my case I bought two, I use one.

You know the much-used line on this forum, "Buy both!"? Well, there you go....
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:56:02 AM EDT
[#25]
well, in my case I was divorced(going through the process) and got layed off from work.

not too much time/money for dickin' around at the range.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:01:35 AM EDT
[#26]
what about cars. I know a guy that has a 1997 ferrari with only 6,000 miles on it. What the hell did you buy the damn thing for.
Thats the best thing about buying used guns. Most people never even use them. I always use them too much. I fired 3000 rounds in one day with my ar. then I had to get a new barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top