Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:39:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Do these pants make my butt look big?!?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:39:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:40:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Whats the question here? I'm feelin great btw. Or was it why some people cant listen to what you tell them? hu what was that [;)]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:41:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Girl)  Can't we just be friends?

Me)Ummmmm.....NO.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:47:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:51:25 AM EDT
[#8]
When people ask questions like "Did you have a good weekend?" it's not an invitation to have someone spend 5 minutes bemoan about trivial problems. After a weekend they figure you will say "Oh yea! Had a ball", or "It was ok, didn't do a thing" It's just a polite question so they can acknowledge your presence during the day, & their not looking to make you feel bad about your weekend. Just trying to be polite, & say Hi.

Of course this is not the same as if a co worker is also a close friend who really does have a genuine concern for how your doing, & wants to cheer you up from a bad weekend. I had a friend at work, & we would take turns talking the other one out of quitting when something would fall apart, or just be sounding boards for each other. It was usually done over our break time though, because management would frown on long personal conversations during work hours.
So how you doing man?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:55:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Because people are idiots.  And oftentimes they don't know that they don't really eant to hear the answer to their question until after they hear it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:58:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:03:50 AM EDT
[#11]

"Uh oh... sounds like..." [url]http://www.vibeplanet.com/office07.wav[/url]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:06:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:05:42 AM EDT
[#14]
[lolabove] No, & I doubt they will either!
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Silly Hawkeye, don't you know the sheeple have become accustomed to being lied to and they like it !!
They are lied to every day by just about everyone. It's become acceptable to them and they they have come to expect a "sugar coated" response to tricky questions because to hurt someones feelings by telling them the truth is PURE EVIL in todays society.
Diogenes's search continues.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Premise: One of the Language Theories states that every conversation is just an attempt for each person to say what they wanna say, regardless of what the other person is saying (I thogh this was bullshit until I actually took the time to study the subject properly)

Co-worker #2 wanted you to say something else so he could use that as a base to say what he wanted to say on the first place (ie, talk about HIS week-end). Since you just blurted a "just ok", he didn't have the grounds to talk you about HIS experiences.

Co-worker #1 probably wanted to do the same but felt that he would go to a risky road based on your answer (by definition, people want to have a pleasant time, and the posibility of you talking about the reasons for your feelings of crappyness weren't too promising...)

Now, I guess no one talked you about the weather on an elevator, right?

NsB
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I hope that we have all helped you, as we are all caring people who really do want to help.[rolleyes] So tell us, How was your weekend? & don't leave out any details, as I wouldn't want to miss a thing!........[sleep]

If you want someone who expect all the details, pay a therapist $60.00 to $100.00 an hour to listen to you tell them , or much cheaper just smile when asked, say little, & tell people who are closer to you like a good friend, or family member, who are more likely to really want to know, & not just trying to make small talk, after a weekend.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just trying to be polite, & say Hi.
View Quote

Then why don't they [b]just be polite and say 'Hi??'[/b]

I have made it a personal policy to say only "Good Morning" or a suitable variant because I don't want to know about how a person is etc.

It's a riot because I say "Good Morning" and the response is usually "Great!  How are you?"

I just ignore it...
Scott
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Uh-oh.  Sounds like somebody's got a case of the [i]Mondays[/i].

[:)]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Do these pants make my butt look big?!?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
View Quote

I heard that one coming once. I headed it off with "Take those pants off. They make your perfect, tight littla ass look about 3 axe handles wide."

Ouch.

You CAN'T win.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's an interesting cultural question.

"How are you" is an phrase that really means "greetings I acknowledge your presence" rather than asking for an answer to how you are. "How are you feeling" is the question that looks for an answer. I always reply with "better than most, not as good as some" or just "fine thank you".

In my wife's native language the casual greeting is "where are you going/where have you been?" to which they don't answer locations but return with "how are you feeling".

View Quote

I Korean chick I hung around with in college complained about this all the time. She said most of the Americans seemed fake to her because they always asked how she was feeling or doing and then never really wanted an answer.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#28]
This is my typical conversation in this situation.

Me: Good morning, how was your weekend?

Them: Crappy!

Me: Aw that's a shame,or that's to bad, sorry to hear it. I on the other hand had a good weekend. Better luck next time, there's always next weekend, hopefully it will go better for you[:D] as I turn to go to my desk to start work.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Not trying to hijack your thread, but the one that gets me is when I say I love you to a close friend or family member, & they say "Ya, me too." If it's goes like that more than a few different times, I will usually say back.That's good! You should love yourself![:D]
I do get what your saying by the way.

Now get back to work you slave!![;D]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Let's see;

1) Are you really that concerned about something like this?  If so, I envy you. You have everything else in the world and your life so buttoned up that the only thing you have to worry about is whether or not others care if you had a good weekend or not?  Wow
2) Since you brought it up....that other guy was right, it's really just a lure so they can tell you about THEIR weekend, and brag about the chick they banged or the cool thing they did.
3) My stock response to "how are you" is "I can't complain, and nobody listens when I do anyway.
4) If it's not a lure, then its just a greating.  You never say "what's up?" to anyone?  Do you really give a shit what they're up to?  Or what about "howdy", a version of "how do you do?", do you really give a shit how they do?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#32]
I learned quickly to avoid people that dont want to share details about their private lives. I call them associates as opposed to friends. Generally when someone asks me about my weekend, I know them well enough to understand the difference between genuine concern and casual greeting. Therefore, I show them simple courtesy by letting them know the short version. If they want more, I will continue. I dont mind spending a minute talking to someone that asks a simple question.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top