Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/20/2015 1:16:52 AM EDT
I have primarily owned standard transmissions (lots of them) but I drive over fifty rentals a year on average and I don't remember the last rental standard transmission I have driven. I'm saying that I have driven lots and lots of different makes and models. The point being that as far as I know the shift knob or lever on the modern automobile is not mechanical at all, rather electric. My question is why bother having a knob or lever if there is no mechanical connection to the transmission? Why not have a button or whatever? I mean some beamers and benzs I drive are already like that. Seems like shift knobs on the center pedestal are wasted space.

Three caveats: I miss standard transmissions being standard, I make no claim to being an expert on how automatic transmissions work, and this hotel has an above average selection of single malt scotch.

RC
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:18:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Tradition...

Some are more sensible, and locate it on the dash.  The Oddesy and Prius come to mind.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:20:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Peak knob
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:21:05 AM EDT
[#3]
It would be cool if it were buttons to press like on the big buses and motor homes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:21:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I read an (I think it was on jalopnik) article recently about how that it was all Mercedes' fault that we had the console shifters for autos.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:21:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Peak knob
View Quote

He he...
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:21:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Peak knob
View Quote

in the future, you will sit in your car and it will read your mind.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:22:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:22:09 AM EDT
[#8]
1962 Dodge Dart

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:22:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't think they're all electronic. There's still a mechanical connection.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:23:47 AM EDT
[#10]
The prius is specifically why I have been asking myself this question for as long as that car has been a 'midsize' rental staple.

RC

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:24:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It would be cool if it were buttons to press like on the big buses and motor homes.
View Quote

my rig has buttons..    

sometimes i wish it were the old days, with a company on the tailboard, and double clutching that fucking pig through town.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:27:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:28:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Newer Dodge Ram shifter knob

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:30:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The prius is specifically why I have been asking myself this question for as long as that car has been a 'midsize' rental staple.
RC

View Quote

The Gen 3s (2010+) unfortunatly got a center console and the shifter was relocated to the top of it as a part of their 'conventionalizing' process.  

Gen1 and 2 cars had it on the dash high and right of the steering column.  I've got an '08 and it's best up there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:30:37 AM EDT
[#15]

I've driven cars with this setup. If I have to drive automatics this seems far more logical than most of the current offerings. Wasted space.

In the next thread I will discuss how I miss column mounted manual transmission shifters and bench seats in pickups.

RC

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:32:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

my rig has buttons..    

sometimes i wish it were the old days, with a company on the tailboard, and double clutching that fucking pig through town.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

my rig has buttons..    

We don't have one that is a manual.  And all the cabs are enclosed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:34:14 AM EDT
[#17]

I also hate electric transfer case selectors. My TJ is still manual, thank god, though I do have electric lockers. And of course my tacoma is electric, But still. Bring back manual Tcase and locking hubs.

RC
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:35:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Bring back manual Tcase and locking hubs.

View Quote

No!

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:36:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:41:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Most of the ones with a knob are doing something mechanical. For example, if electricity to the transmission fails, you will still at least be able to get it in park. Some will even let you select one forward and one reverse range with no power to the transmission.

The all electric shifters are a blazingly stupid idea with zero redundancy. Run away.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:42:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Auto console shifters aren't just levers that go back and forth.   They only move between certain positions if you've depressed a button.   This is by design and it is an important safety feature.

Things like paddle shifters have applications in sports cars, obviously, but a lot of these weird-ass shifting setups are a seriously bad idea.   I can tell you from personal experience that you do NOT want to be a passenger in one of those vehicles, have to get going in a hurry due to an emergency, and find out that the driver has totally vapor locked on how to even get the car in motion.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:45:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Auto console shifters aren't just levers that go back and forth.   They only move between certain positions if you've depressed a button.   This is by design and it is an important safety feature.

Things like paddle shifters have applications in sports cars, obviously, but a lot of these weird-ass shifting setups are a seriously bad idea.   I can tell you from personal experience that you do NOT want to be a passenger in one of those vehicles, have to get going in a hurry due to an emergency, and find out that the driver has totally vapor locked on how to even get the car in motion.
View Quote

Most garden variety rent cars that have paddle shifters also have regular shift knobs in my experience. Half the time I drive one that has paddle shifters I rarely even realize that they are so equipped.

RC
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:45:57 AM EDT
[#24]
XFML

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:47:50 AM EDT
[#25]
On a side note does anyone else miss bench seats that a console shifter prohibits?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:52:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
On a side note does anyone else miss bench seats that a console shifter prohibits?
View Quote

Yes. See my post above regarding column shifters on trucks. Three on the tree forever.

RC

ETA I also miss vinyl bench seats and rubber floors. I also miss my 1983 Ford F100 and 1978 CJ5. I may need to find another CJ.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:53:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bench seats were great. Especially before seatbelt laws.
Three in the front or having the sweetie cozy up next to you while driving or at the drive-in.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:00:33 AM EDT
[#28]
As long as it's laid out in a logical manner and provides tactile feedback so that you can do it with one hand without having to look at it, I don't see why not.

That's the main advantage I see with the center console shifter, it's easy to get your hand on and operate without having to reach out of your way or look at it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:02:07 AM EDT
[#29]

I fucking hate that thing.  One of our new patrol vehicles is a Dodge Ram.  All I can say is, thank god they have an electronic lockout to prevent it from going into another gear while in motion.

I can't tell you have many times I've been cruising at 45mph and went to turn the radio down, but accidentally switched that knob into reverse or park.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:07:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know it's not a traditional bench seat, but my 2011 F-150 has a split bench seat that essentially does the same thing.  I kind of like it.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:07:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The all electric shifters are a blazingly stupid idea with zero redundancy. Run away.
View Quote

Whats even worse is electronic shifters on a hybrid with the stop-start bs where the engine shuts off.  Some cars might be better, but a truck I drove with that crap took a good 2-3 seconds to start back up and shift back into drive after being stopped at a light.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:10:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
As long as it's laid out in a logical manner and provides tactile feedback so that you can do it with one hand without having to look at it, I don't see why not.

That's the main advantage I see with the center console shifter, it's easy to get your hand on and operate without having to reach out of your way or look at it.
View Quote

As a diehard standard/manual transmission guy I would agree. But during day-to-day driving of any light automobile why do you need to have your hands on the shifter in an automatic? Even during the completely retarded toyota/lexus "uncommanded acceleration" wrecks it was determined that simply standing on the brakes would have stopped the cars. (though I would have also shifted to neutral.)

RC
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:14:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Whats even worse is electronic shifters on a hybrid with the stop-start bs where the engine shuts off.  Some cars might be better, but a truck I drove with that crap took a good 2-3 seconds to start back up and shift back into drive after being stopped at a light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First time I drove a car that did that at a light I thought that the engine had died. I switched it off and restarted. Pulled over in a gas station just across the intersection and called the rent company to come bring me another car. They said that was normal. C series benz too. sigh
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:42:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

First time I drove a car that did that at a light I thought that the engine had died. I switched it off and restarted. Pulled over in a gas station just across the intersection and called the rent company to come bring me another car. They said that was normal. C series benz too. sigh
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been wondering with all the electric shift knobs why not get rid of the console and make room for an extra person like the good ole days.
On a side note my airport car is a 5 speed and since I am not driving in traffic I love it.

Pilatus Pilot-PM me next time your at KEFD. It might be better timing
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:49:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Shift dials suck a fat one with heavy gloves on.

Shifter in the center console is the way it should be. (same goes for floor mounted gas pedals, hanging ones are blah)
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:51:05 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm picturing more stupid people accidentally backing up or going forward when they mean the opposite.

Just pushing a button vs the act of shifting presents more opportunity for "fail" IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:51:56 AM EDT
[#37]

Redtube has your answer.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:02:14 AM EDT
[#38]
I like the shift nob on my G37x... I can shift up and down as I wish (unless the computer says no ) or put it in automatic.  It's fun to do on the bendy roads.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:23:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

High School the drive in and a 1969 Calais Cadillac.  Yeah i miss them.

That seat would lay back till it was a V from the side. One night it got stuck.Bitch to drive home.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:40:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:01:05 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm not saying you said knob. But you said knob.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:07:47 AM EDT
[#42]

Oh holy hell that would suck to plow snow with!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:19:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yes. See my post above regarding column shifters on trucks. Three on the tree forever.

RC

ETA I also miss vinyl bench seats and rubber floors. I also miss my 1983 Ford F100 and 1978 CJ5. I may need to find another CJ.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RC

Toyota coaster busses came with a column shift five speed.  Not too awkward after you got used to it...

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:25:28 AM EDT
[#44]
the new tlx v6 has buttons that shift the transmission. the 4 cylinder still has a shift knob.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:25:33 AM EDT
[#45]
The worst are the pickups with the shifter taking up the center of the front seat.

My Dad had a car in the 60's, Plymouth maybe, that had push buttons on the dash, but I'm sure it was mechanical.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Newer Dodge Ram shifter knob

View Quote

So Dodge doesn't see any need for low gear with their trucks?

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:31:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I wish they'd go back to putting the fuel filler behind the back license plate like it used to be.  No worries about which side of pump to pull up on, and smoother lines.

View Quote

I miss my '68 Cougar.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Kharn

4WD low?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:47:18 AM EDT
[#49]

DODGE fails again!

Seriously, that is stupid for a pickup.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The worst are the pickups with the shifter taking up the center of the front seat.

My Dad had a car in the 60's, Plymouth maybe, that had push buttons on the dash, but I'm sure it was mechanical.
View Quote

I ordered my 2012 F150 with the center console shifter because I like it best.  I hate column shifters.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top