Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/13/2006 7:09:17 AM EDT
What is it with idiots that think the second they see a cop or highway patrol, they automatically have to slam on their brakes even if they were already only doing the speed limit or less? Shit, they even do it when a HP or cop has someone pulled over, like he can tell how fast their going and are going to quit writing the ticket to the person they already have pulled over and go chase them down.

Today I see a highway patrol on the freeway a few lanes over. I pass by him doing a little over the speed limit and then I look back in the mirror and notice everyone else getting further and further back there, they're staying right beside him even though he was maybe doing a little under the speed limit.

I swear, a good chunk of the population is dumber than a box of rocks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:23:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Reflex action. By the time they see the marked unit, its too late anyways, if they are going to be stopped.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Reflex action. By the time they see the marked unit, its too late anyways, if they are going to be stopped.

Yeah if they're speeding I can see it being a natural reaction to hit your brakes, but everybody does it including those chronic speedlimit or less drivers.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:30:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Around here it is a free for all!

I-465 (the Indianapolis loop) is just a bigger version of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.  Every day I see someone drive 80+ MPH past a cop, and have yet to see one of them pulled over.

It is hard to resist the impulse to slow down to only 15MPH over the posted speed limit when I see a cop.  I working on it though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:33:55 AM EDT
[#4]
If I am going the speed limit, and the heat is driving in traffic, I am not going to slow down, and I too hate those that feel the need to do 15 under when a cop is present.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Look.  If you don't like how someone drives...

Draw down!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:54:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I set the cruise at the posted speed limit, or maybe +2/3 mph. If I pass everybody on the road including the cops, so be it. But I have a friend who will NOT drive over the posted limit, and usually more like 5 mph under, and he will slow down EVERY time he sees a cop.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Because they're idiots
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#8]
It might have something to do with their dog!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I set the cruise at the posted speed limit, or maybe +2/3 mph. If I pass everybody on the road including the cops, so be it. But I have a friend who will NOT drive over the posted limit, and usually more like 5 mph under, and he will slow down EVERY time he sees a cop.

Your friend sucks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I admit, I speed. Not horribly. Maybe 10-15 over the speed limit. But I will not SLAM on my brakes if I see a cop, particularly pulled over doing something else.

I've been in AZ for 4 years. Before that San Jose. I thought traffic in SJ was bad, but seems the AZ people are the worst rubber neckers on the planet! They slam on their brakes and rubber neck for someone getting a ticket, someone overheated in the summer, someone changing a tire. Drives me nuts!

JUST LOOK WHERE YOU ARE GOING AND DRIVE YOU IDIOTS!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#11]
because cops are scary
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Sometimes I enjoy driving the speed limit.  It makes me feel better when all the pure hatred and animosity and hostility pour out of my fellow drivers, through their finger gestures and car horns.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#13]
[hijack] ............or slow down to rubberneck the most minor accident- like on the OTHER side of the Interstate. Going down to a football game the traffic went bumper to bumper backed up a mile or so cause someone was parked in the median on the opposite side w/ a cop. No injuries, a breakdown. [/hijack]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Not always, depends on the stretch of road. I often will spot a cop before his radar is able to get an accurate reading.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#15]
We all know people that have gotten speeding tickets when they weren't speeding, so there's a good reason to be paranoid even when you're going the speed limit.  Don't give them any excuse to stop you.z
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:22:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I never slow down.  Course, I always do the speed limit or no more than 5 over.  By the time I see an LEO whether they have someone pulled over or not, it's too late to slow down.  All you're doing is admitting guilt if you slow down.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:25:30 AM EDT
[#17]
A local city would put a cop car in the median of I-75 and have a dummy sitting in the drivers seat.  Last summer there was a major pile up because some idiot hit their brakes.  The city was sued by people that were injured for quite a hefty sum.

And they won.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#18]

like he can tell how fast their going and are going to quit writing the ticket to the person they already have pulled over and go chase them down

I think they can still determine your speed approaching. As for what they can do while preoccupied:
1. radio ahead if it's a speed trap
2. give the ticket and chase you
3. (what happened to me) they just step out of their vehicle, stare at you, point and motion you to pull over

If you think option #3 is the best chance at getting away, refer back to #1
Had a Mustang GT half mile ahead and Grand National a mile further idling just waiting for a chase
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#19]
<scatches out comment> Nevermind...I don't want the 5.0 contingent threatening my dog!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#20]
That's nothing.  Back in CA people use to slow down for rent-a-cop cars.  They see lights they think "COP"

assholes. (the drivers)
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I love my Valentine One.  Ticket free since purchase (1998).

That is all.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:29:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
That's nothing.  Back in CA people use to slow down for rent-a-cop cars.  They see lights they think "COP"

assholes. (the drivers)

I've seen that here too. Or City trucks  that have sirens.

God damn people are dumb.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#23]
What I like is how some of the Sheriff's deputies around here will play headgames with these people. They'll get on one of the rural two-lanes, where the limit is 60, and start easing off the pedal until they're only going 40-50 or so. Everyone just slows down behind them, and you have this long line of traffic.

I'll pass their ass. I don't see why people are afraid of traffic cops when they're not doing anything wrong.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Reflex. I will hit the brakes too, but after the initial shock I will drive at 5mph over the limit.

Supposedly the judges in town will throw out small tickets like that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:47:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Around here it is a free for all!

I-465 (the Indianapolis loop) is just a bigger version of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.  Every day I see someone drive 80+ MPH past a cop, and have yet to see one of them pulled over.

It is hard to resist the impulse to slow down to only 15MPH over the posted speed limit when I see a cop.  I working on it though.

LOL, around Chirstmas I was heading to my parents in Illinois and was going around Indianapolis on the I-465 loop.  I was flying, doing probably 90mph and quickly came upon a group of traffic.  I noticed a cop and immediately started slowing down but I didn't want to slow down to his his speed because it would be too obvious that I had been flying down the road.  So I slowed down to about 75mph and cruised past him.  Of course as soon as I passed him he jerked over right behind me.  I continued on and eventually got in the middle lane to which he promptly followed.  After 5 minutes he got in the right lane an exited.  At that point I looked up and saw the speed limit sign, 55mph!  I contribute me not getting pulled over to the weather, cold and wet, and the Kentucky police memorial license plate that I have on my truck which has a picture of a badge on it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:04:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
because cops are scary

And my dog is usually in the car with me.....

Joking aside, I don't "slam" but I will ease up on the gas. In New England NOBODY drives the speed limit...we're all too heavy on the gas...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

In New England NOBODY drives the speed limit...we're all too heavy on the gas...

And that's why us Granite Staters want most of the Mass-holes (present company excluded ) to stay in Mass.  Most of them can't drive worth a damn, and have no respect for other folks on the road.  

On the other hand, it always gives me a smile, to pass some Mass-hole who ended up in the ditch because he was driving too fast for conditions.  Thank you for providing some free entertainment, and contributing to our local economy.

Most folks with a lick of common sense know that, if it's snowing, and you can no longer see the pavement beneath you, it would probably be wise to slow down.  

BUT........and I was completely shocked, I've seen some folks with Massachusetts plates actually driving the speed limit.  They must have been transplants, who made the poor choice to move to Massachusetts.  No real Massachusetts person drives the speed limit.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
A local city would put a cop car in the median of I-75 and have a dummy sitting in the drivers seat.  Last summer there was a major pile up because some idiot hit their brakes.  The city was sued by people that were injured for quite a hefty sum.

And they won.

They should not have won, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#29]
In Texas it is the law to slow down 20mph below the speed limit if you are in the lane closest to the emergency/police vehicle that has made a stop.

www.caller.com/ccct/cda/article_print/1,1983,CCCT_811_2578464_ARTICLE-DETAIL-PRINT,00.html
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#30]
I was pulled over for passing a statie just north of columbus one day..... Construction zone was over, so I sped up to the great speed of 62(after the 65 sign).....Sir, did you know that you were going over 70? No officer I wasn't. Sir, do you have any weapons? Yes officer I do. Sir, will you please step out of the car.....2 hours later he gave me a warning......
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In New England NOBODY drives the speed limit...we're all too heavy on the gas...

And that's why us Granite Staters want most of the Mass-holes (present company excluded ) to stay in Mass.  Most of them can't drive worth a damn, and have no respect for other folks on the road.  

On the other hand, it always gives me a smile, to pass some Mass-hole who ended up in the ditch because he was driving too fast for conditions.  Thank you for providing some free entertainment, and contributing to our local economy.

Most folks with a lick of common sense know that, if it's snowing, and you can no longer see the pavement beneath you, it would probably be wise to slow down.  

BUT........and I was completely shocked, I've seen some folks with Massachusetts plates actually driving the speed limit.  They must have been transplants, who made the poor choice to move to Massachusetts.  No real Massachusetts person drives the speed limit.

I'm a transplant...but I do drive 5-10 miles above the limit when road conditions allow.
And it must be a trickle down thing: we hate RI drivers (and since I am from PA, I also hate Jersey drivers ) Maybe it's a new "North vs. South thing?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I was pulled over for passing a statie just north of columbus one day..... Construction zone was over, so I sped up to the great speed of 62(after the 65 sign).....Sir, did you know that you were going over 70? No officer I wasn't. Sir, do you have any weapons? Yes officer I do. Sir, will you please step out of the car.....2 hours later he gave me a warning......

Well, that's different. OSP are ticket writing machines. That's what they do. Well, that and harrass stranded motorists.

You should've called him "Triple-A with a badge". They are known for their sense of humor.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your friend sucks!

Hah...he's not that kind of guy.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#34]
People slow down because they know police are pressured to meet their ticket quotas and will give tickets if they have a chance.

YOU may not be speeding, but if others are driving slower than you, the cop will think you're speeding and can give you shit. This happened to my brother. Of course the cop knew he didn't have anything on him, so he just threw his power around for a minute, told he was on his way to a call, and that the next time he would give a ticket.

I notice that in my town the police purposely drive under the limit. I do the same when I see one around for the reason above. Easier to do that then let the cop get a hard on and waste my time for nothing.

What I really hate is when idiots stop in the middle of the road as soon as they hear a siren. I guess they don't know the reason for the siren is to alert people to get the fuck out of the way, not make it harder and more dangerous for the emergency vehicle to get past other cars.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't know for sure why everyone does it. After doing ride-alongs for close to half a decade, however, I do know that the cops usually hate it more than anyone else.

What's worse is when these same people actually yield their right-of-way to a squad car at a 4-way stop.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Just because the "posted" speed limit is X it doesn't mean you can't get a speeding ticket, for driving at the limit. The posted limit doesn't over ride the bassic speed law, not to drive faster than conditions allow.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
If I am going the speed limit, and the heat is driving in traffic, I am not going to slow down, and I too hate those that feel the need to do 15 under when a cop is present.

Pass me while I am doinf the speed limit I will more than likely write you. It's disrespectful.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Just because the "posted" speed limit is X it doesn't mean you can't get a speeding ticket, for driving at the limit. The posted limit doesn't over ride the bassic speed law, not to drive faster than conditions allow.

Thanks, unfortunately that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about and does not apply.

I guess on nice sunny mornings people should drive slower than the speed limit.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pass me while I am doinf the speed limit I will more than likely write you. It's disrespectful.

Disrespectful

That's stupid!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#40]
If I see a police car on the side of the road with the light flashing and having pulled someone over I get off cruise, slowly slow down to the speed limit and get in the far lane.  Hell I do that if I see someone with flashers on the side of the road.  MOre time to react to anything I see.  And more time to rubberneck whats going on.

If the cop is driving.  He is fair game to pass, and I try to pass everyone...

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I was doin 50 in a 35 (about 2am though), and I looked over to see a car overtaking me, thinking "wow that guy is stupid." Then the words CITY OF BILLINGS POLICE DEPARTMENT appeared on the fender. We didnt look at each other or anything, just kept driving along.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, unfortunately that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about and does not apply.

Maybe it does, once everyone else slows down and you come weaving thru the traffic. He can claim you made a unsafe lane change or what ever. Then ya go to court and who is the judge going to believe, you or the trained pro officer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe it does, once everyone else slows down and you come weaving thru the traffic. He can claim you made a unsafe lane change or what ever. Then ya go to court and who is the judge going to believe, you or the trained pro officer.

Yeah it always works that way in our modern liberal environment, someone is too stupid to do something, and the person that doesn't like it pays the price for it.

Bottom line:

People are dumb as fuck and most should not even be allowed to drive.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Disrespectful

That's stupid!

Think of a police car as a rolling speed limit sign. Passing one is  stupid!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#45]
we get them that slam on their brakes even if the officer has someone pulled over on the opposite side of a divided hwy.  
I will slow down and change lanes if possible when I see someone pulled over on the side of a hwy, but i am just trying to be considerate (in case he/her is standing next to the road) , not because i am worried about getting pulled over.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Disrespectful

That's stupid!

Think of a police car as a rolling speed limit sign. Passing one is  stupid!

"Disrespectful" and stupid are two different things.  Stupid, well, I agree - good way to get a ticket.  Disrespectful puts you into the category of a "you will respect mah authoritah!" type pud.

Cops speed past me all the time, but I don't consider it "disrespectful" that they might be flaunting their authoritah.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

And they won.

And what would have happened if it was a live person inside?? Sorry, my BS meter pegged on this one.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#48]
This is my car:

A lot of people think I'm a cop and some will slow down to 10(!) mph slower than the speed limit. You just can't be in a hurry to get somewhere when you're driving it.

I love my Bluesmobile.

ETA: +1 on the guy who said San Jose traffic is bad.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#49]
I've noticed my mom doing this on the highway...she sees a cop and she reflexively slows down, last time I noticed her doing it was in Ohio.  She saw an OSP cruiser, and BAM...she slows down.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#50]
I like playing with the other drivers when they start this crap if I get on the highway. I do the speed limit, in the right lane for a few minutes and they gather. I slowly reduce speed to about 5 under & see how many will refuse to pass. If they all slow down, then I slow down to about 10 under. I keep doing it until they finally grow a brain and pass by me. After a few do it, the rest do, then I pick my speed back up to where I was in the first place. Some driver's just don't know how to drive.

Quoted:
I love my Valentine One.  Ticket free since purchase (1998).

That is all.  

One of my favorite tickets I ever wrote for speeding was to a driver in a Valentine One equipped BMW.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top