Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 5:28:33 AM EDT
I am talking to my wife back home and she is telling me that our little dog will sometimes drag his ass on the ground like he is trying to scratch it. Why do they do that?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:30:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am talking to my wife back home and she is telling me that our little dog will sometimes drag his ass on the ground like he is trying to scratch it. Why do they do that?

The same reason cats lick theirs.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:32:23 AM EDT
[#2]
You mean you don't do it to?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:34:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Dogs have a series of Anal glands that sometimes gets impacted (clogged). They drag their butts on the ground to try to pop the glands, kinda like a pimple. Sometimes when my dog goes to the vet, they have to "express" them. Nasty sounding term.

GlockSpeed31
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:35:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I heard that it can also mean they have worms. Not sure about that though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:36:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Dogs have a series of Anal glands that sometimes gets impacted (clogged). They drag their butts on the ground to try to pop the glands, kinda like a pimple. Sometimes when my dog goes to the vet, they have to "express" them. Nasty sounding term.

GlockSpeed31

Correct Answer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:36:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Muchas ItchieAss
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:36:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

GlockSpeed31

Yep or something has taken up residence in the dogs rectum, worms.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:37:55 AM EDT
[#8]

GlockSpeed31

My ex used to pop the anal glands of our Beagle.  It's like no smell on Earth.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:54:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Because it itches! Note to self......get rid of the damn dog. THAT"S NASTY!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:55:21 AM EDT
[#10]
You gotta try it, it's very refreshing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:57:54 AM EDT
[#11]
You can have their anal glands removed by the vet. We had one of our dogs done. He would "express" them and BOY WOULD IT STINK!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:05:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, it is nasty.  It could mean he has worms and it could mean he's expressing his anal glands.  When was the last time you wormed your dog?  If its been 12 months you should worm him just to be safe.  I worm my dogs twice a year right before hunting season and right afterwards.

Patty
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:10:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Every time I see a dog doing the "butt drag" I can't help but crack up!

I don't care who you are.... that is just plain hi-larious!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:14:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I heard that it can also mean they have worms. Not sure about that though.

That's why Grandma does it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:16:17 AM EDT
[#15]
worms
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:17:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

GlockSpeed31

This happened to my dog once the vet thought it was interesting

basically it was like popping a big zit in my dogs ass
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:28:45 AM EDT
[#17]
you guys are dredging up nasty memories from when I worked at a veterinarian's
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:30:33 AM EDT
[#18]
One of my cats will do it on occasion.  The look on it's face is priceless, it just looks around acting all prissy like nothing is going on meanwhile is dragging it's ass across my carpet.  I've also seen my grandma's dog do it on their driveway, now THAT was funny.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:38:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
 I've also seen my grandma's dog do it on their driveway, now THAT was funny.

That would be some nasty road rash!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#20]
because you aren't providing appropriate toilet paper?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:43:19 AM EDT
[#21]
shove a cactus up the dog ass he won't do it again for awhile
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:43:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Wow, my first post on an AR board and I'm talking about anal glands!my mom's dog spins on it's backside like a top instead of dragging it's butt across the floor in a straight line.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:44:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Reason #167 why I don't have pets.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:51:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GlockSpeed31

Correct. Its called "scooting". Full anal glands is a common cause. Mostly happens in smaller dog breeds. Expressing the anal glands will solve the problem. You can squeeze the anus of the dog and relieve some of the pressure, but the best way to resolve this is to stick your finger in the dogs pooper. I would only recommend a vet to do the fingering.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:52:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I think I'll get fish.  At least they don't do nasty things like lick their ass or have anal glands that need to be unclogged.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:53:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I think I'll get fish.  At least they don't do nasty things like lick their ass or have anal glands that need to be unclogged.

Of course, a fish won't drag you out of a burning building, either!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:53:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Reading this thread made my ass itch
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:53:51 AM EDT
[#28]
/Reads the replies above

/Walks off shaking head..."What have I done?"
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:00:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GlockSpeed31

Correct. Its called "scooting". Full anal glands is a common cause. Mostly happens in smaller dog breeds. Expressing the anal glands will solve the problem. You can squeeze the anus of the dog and relieve some of the pressure, but the best way to resolve this is to stick your finger in the dogs pooper. I would only recommend a vet to do the fingering.

The wife has a toy poodle.  Small breeds, especially poodles and Bichones have the anal gland clogging problem.  Not only will they scoot, but they get really scared to let other dogs sniff their butts.  Our vet tought us how to express the gland and recommended that we do it as often as we bath the dog.  The gland is around and slightly bellow the anus.  You need to grab a paper towel, press inward and upward around (not in) the anus.  Just like popping a zit.  Nasty, stinky yellow/brown fluid will squirt out.  Repeat until it stops expressing.  Do it often enough (every bath) and it will no longer be a problem, and not much will come out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Not sure of why they drag their ass, but I am sure why they lick their pecker.

Old joke:

Two dogs are watching some street performers break dance.

One dog leans over to the other and says "You know...if we did that they'd worm our ass!"
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course, a fish won't drag you out of a burning building, either!

Neither would my old dog, or the old cats.

The cats would probably run like hell then get the "WTF" look on their face when no one is around to feed them.

The dog, well, that 25 lb noisemaker couldn't hope to drag my fat ass anywhere.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:09:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GlockSpeed31

Sorry, it's caller "Butthole Surfing".

That's what the punk band "Butthole Surfers" took the name from.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:16:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Kinda makes you re-think the five second rule, eh?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:17:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Kinda makes you re-think the five second rule, eh?

LMFAO!

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#35]
My dog does it after eating grass and a long piece of grass is still hanging out her butt.  Thats when I get to pull it out.  Or a friends dog did the same, and again that's when I get to pull it out. I did get a big thanks and a little poop on the fingers
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#36]
I think they are suffering from Itchy Asshole Syndrom.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top