Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/4/2012 7:16:16 PM EDT
Always tear their beds or mats apart and redistribute the inner stuffing materials all over the room. I usually buy my dog 1 bed or mat a year around Christmas time. It usually lasts a day or two then I come home to stuffing all over the place. Is there any way or a particular bed to help prevent this.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#1]
The same reason every kid I knew growing up (including me) cut open "Stretch Armstrong" just to see what that crap was inside.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Always tear their beds or mats apart and redistribute the inner stuffing materials all over the room. I usually buy my dog 1 bed or mat a year around Christmas time. It usually lasts a day or two then I come home to stuffing all over the place. Is there any way or a particular bed to help prevent this.

Not sure.  My fucking dogs do this too.  I've stopped buying them soft beds because of it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Some are mad, some think it's a toy, some don't realize what it's for, none are capable of working out "if I destroy this today, it will be fun, but I will have to sleep on the floor tomorrow, so where did that kong go?"
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Blankets with no fuzz inside instead. Solved the problem for our dog who not only redistributed the fuzzy wealth, but also ate it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I cam to the conclusion my dog did it because he was mad at it because it made him too hot. I witnessed him go over to his crate, sniff his spankin' new comfy bed with super soft filling, then wrap his muzzle around it, wrestle it out of the crate, then tear it's guts out. Then when he was done he went back in the crate and happily flopped down onto the cold hard bare plastic floor. I guess when I get a fur coat I'll know why for sure.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Because you're leaving him alone for eleven hours a day with nothing else to do.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#7]
For the same reason you turn your pillow a few degrees to the left, pull your blanket up, etc. They're making their bed so they can lie in it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Not all dogs do that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, my dog gets a piece of carpet in her kennel and a towel on the floor when I take her out of town. Whenever I'm at the store and see a dog bed for a decent price I'm tempted to buy it as I think she would like it.  But the thought of having to pick up all the shredded pieces off the floor reminds me it's a waste of money.  I don't buy her furry toys with stuffing in them either anymore.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For the same reason you turn your pillow a few degrees to the left, pull your blanket up, etc. They're making their bed so they can lie in it.

But ripping it to shreds? My sharpei/pit kills the fleece blankets I put in her crate, the shreds end up all over the house. I put a thick, tough bath towel in her crate and it's lasted a week now with no rips....
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I think mine do it mostly by mistake. They have to spin around and paw at whatever they're planning to lay on for a few minutes before giving up and plopping down.

Kind of entertaining because my little boxer gets all pissed off when she can't get her bed just right and walks off in a huff.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine have never had a problem with their bed. It's a big piece of foam with a fleece cover. I've thrown a bunch of my old t-shirts on it too and they just make it comfortable for themselves and sleep happily.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#13]
My dog has never done this.  He does get pissed whenever I wash it though, and refuses to sleep on it for a few days.  He likes the stink, apparently.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I don't buy her furry toys with stuffing in them either anymore.  

that's what bags of stuffed animals for $1 at the goodwill is for

mine will play with the empty stuffingless carcass for months

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#15]
The only explanation I have is that said dog is bored/underworked or is just plain stupid.

I suspect that the dog is underworked/bored/not able to exercise its instinctive  work habits.
Tired dogs don't destroy things, usually.

Of course, there are some crazy dogs who tear shit up for fun, but I don't really deal with those for long. They are either doing that for a reason that I can discern or they're nutjob dogs.  If I can figure out why they are doing it, I fix that.  If it continues, then I have to find other arrangements for them.

Training errors are one thing, but repeated destruction is beyond that.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#16]
to demonstrate their fighting skills and distaste for China
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#17]
If its in their kennel?  Boredom.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This. Our Goldens will present us with scrapes when we come home.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Because you're leaving him alone for eleven hours a day with nothing else to do.

Is this a hunting dog like a lab?  Then the above.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Spray the dogbed with this stuff and throw a rawhide bone on it for something to chew.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

they are board
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#22]
No respect.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#23]
The cedar chip dog bed my folks bought for the family dog (when I was a kid) is still in use 4 dogs (and 20 years) later.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:20:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like terrier problems.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Thought you were gonna ask why dogs lick their nuts....
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The same reason every kid I knew growing up (including me) cut open "Stretch Armstrong" just to see what that crap was inside.

My mom was super pissed when that tar like purple jelly ruined a large spot on the carpet!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#27]
both my dogs do it too. It's bullshit
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#28]
lol, stupid dogs. My cat would never do that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#29]
They are dogs they wont mind sleeping on the hard floor at all, so why waste the money?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Because they can?

Wait, wut?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:42:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Because they can?

Wait, wut?

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:00:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Weird. Never had a dog do that. We put their beds behind the couch and it becomes their own little cave. We have hardwood floors, so in the winter he basically lives on that bed. Although, in the Summer they can usually be found sprawling out on any tile/hardwood surface.... Like the kitchen hallway at 3am *trips and falls*
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:05:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thought you were gonna ask why dogs lick their nuts....

Why do dogs lick their nuts

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:07:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Call the cops and tell them you have a dog that needs to be shot
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:07:50 AM EDT
[#35]
My Basset has never done this, she is protective of her bed. My mom made the Basset a blanket, because my mom is a bit off

The blanket belongs to the Basset. PERIOD. You do not move it, you damn sure don't use it to cover your feet when you are watching TV (that get's you dirty looks from the dog). She hates it when I wash the blanket, she goes all over the house trying to find somewhere to lay down, lays down for a few minutes then gets back up looking for another spot. Once I get the blanket out of the dryer and back in it's place the dog must spend 15 minutes rolling around on it to get her scent back on it, and pushes it around with her nose to get it "perfect".
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:08:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Maybe you should dry fire your AR at them more often.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

they are board

Grammar Nazi:
Board may refer to: Contents. 1 Flat surface;  Flat surface. Lumber, or other rigid material, milled or sawn flat ...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This. Our Goldens will present us with scrapes when we come home.

Man, you have a nice disco
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:12:34 AM EDT
[#39]
When she was younger, my catahoula had to know what was inside stuff.

She unwrapped Christmas presents, pulled boxes of ammo out of the closet and dumped them in the floor (with surprisingly little damage to the boxes), unwrapped/opened DVD cases, etc. Odd habit she finally grew out of.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:14:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

they are board

Maybe the bed is too stiff?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:16:01 AM EDT
[#41]
use canvas and 1000d nylon....
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:16:36 AM EDT
[#42]
I've heard they are hard wired to this because wild animals tend to "fluff" the grass before they go to sleep.  It traps air somewhat and makes it warmer.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:17:18 AM EDT
[#43]
my dog has a memory foam bed. she would never do a thing to harm it. that and the wood stove are her two favorite things in the house
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:18:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Dogs tear up their beds for three reasons.... first, they like to tear things up, it feels good to them.  It's an instinctual thing.  Second, they don't do a good job of projecting forward or backwards in time... they don't think "Wow, if I tear this up, I won't be able to sleep on it tonight."  Third... maybe they like their soft fluffies differently than you think they do.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:18:28 AM EDT
[#45]
My dog doesn't do this.  And she's only 8 months old.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:19:35 AM EDT
[#46]
my dog sleeps on the floor next to the kids beds
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:22:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Try one of these they are indestructible.

Dura Bed
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:25:13 AM EDT
[#48]
i bought a crib mattress. they are waterproof and you can buy fitted sheets for easy cleaning.

.they get straw for the doghouses.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#49]
My dog has never been destructive, thank goodness.  She LOVES her bed.  

Here she is with a blanket, but usually there is a huge fluffy pillow on there.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:26:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Well,it'sadog(keyoardsucks)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top