Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 2:26:58 PM EST
I mean why do they not give the police the courtesy of obtaining a handgun permit first (except of course in VT, and AK).

I mean the whole permit is to keep criminals from carrying "hidden" handguns right?

CRC
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:28:46 PM EST
"But representatives refused to restore one provision to the original bill by Rep. Jack Wells, R-Bozeman, that would have allowed Montanans to carry concealed weapons without a permit. That, lawmakers said, went too far and would expose law officers to increased danger of being shot. "

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:29:04 PM EST

logic has no place here
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:29:13 PM EST
Ah...because they're criminals?

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:30:45 PM EST
"Those objecting to allowing unpermitted concealed weapons said it will lead to convicted felons toting handguns and that is a danger to law enforcement.

"The permit system is intended to keep concealed weapons out of the hands of those with criminal records," said Rep. George Golie, D-Great Falls. "I don't think we can just take away that process and have law enforcement accept that."

Rep. Ed Butcher, R-Winifred, said the current permit requirement does nothing to stop people from carrying a concealed weapon without such a document.

"I know a lot of unsavory characters running around my neighborhood with concealed weapons without permits," he said. "It's going on. You're not stopping anything. The best defense against a criminal is to have a perception that a citizen is actually carrying a gun." "

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:30:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By bfieldburt:
Ah...because they're criminals?

+1 beat me to it
Top Top