Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/19/2014 5:14:57 PM EDT
9/10 burglaries I see on the news are in the shittiest neighborhoods where the homes/apartments are crap and there can't be much of value inside.

Is there a thought process in this or are they just stupid?

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
 don't give them any idea...
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
9/10 burglaries I see on the news are in the shittiest neighborhoods where the homes/apartments are crap and there can't be much of value inside.

View Quote

Your assumption is wrong.  That may be your perception, but it is not an accurate reflection of reality.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Because if there's a piece of shit walking down a nice street, I know ten people already phoned the Sheriff. Also, they know the people making them easy targets to observe and steal from.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Drugs/drug money..
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a lot more of value in there than you might suspect. I worked the ambulance in the not so nice parts of town.

They might be "poor" but they have nicer vehicles, bigger TVs and newer phones and other gizmos than many of the honest hardworking people right here on this website.

To say nothing of the potential score of.... contraband would be appropriate but misleading.

They do it for that, too.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#6]
try fencing a rolex, tiffany or cartier buddy...

ghetto pads have xbox, ipods, oxy, stupid shit and bad beer that is easy to fence
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Many reasons.

Mostly crooks be stupid an shit.....and dat be da troof.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#9]
They know the rich have security, and the middle working class ain't got shit cause their money goes to taxes that buys the poor all their fancy ass shit.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#10]
THat's where they happen to be I guess.

We have burglary rings pop up now and then where there are multiple burgles in middle class neighborhoods.

Criminals go for easy pickin's.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#11]
A bicycle will only get you so far when you are lazy enough to steal instead of earn a living.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Trashy people have trashy friends. So they know what's in the house befor robbing.  Say there "friends" are at the bar because they go every Friday they know the house is empty.  Easy to rob when know they are not there and they close the bar every Friday.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#13]
If they made the 20 mile journey from the city to come here, they'd have to pass the guardhouse, two gates, and then there would be several people spotting them saying, "Who the fuck is that, and what the fuck are they doing here?"  A quick call to the guardhouse would get them intercepted in minutes, and they'd be held for police as appropriate.   There are also the cameras, the alarm systems, and the firepower.

When we have construction crews about, the contractor is required to put up the cash to pay for someone to keep an eye on the workers whenever they're here.

Expensive?  Yep.

Effective?  So far.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#14]
where you gonna find a rock of crack? in the hood that's where
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#16]
How many of these shitty homes have alarm systems and a quick LE response time?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Trashy people have trashy friends. So they know what's in the house befor robbing.  Say there "friends" are at the bar because they go every Friday they know the house is empty.  Easy to rob when know they are not there and they close the bar every Friday.
View Quote

^this is pretty correct.  I spoke for a while with a guy who lived...in a bad part of town.  He said he couldn't let his friends come into his home; he had to talk to them on the front porch.  If he let his friends come in and see his TV and VCR (this was early 2000's), they'd come back the next day when he was at work and steal it.  He had to bring things into his home at night to make sure others didn't see him.

Living in the ghetto and having a job sucks pretty hard, apparently.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How many of these shitty homes have alarm systems and a quick LE response time?
View Quote

Here ghetto neighborhoods have a way faster response time than the rich ones. All of our units that are supposed to patrol the rich areas are dispatched to the poor areas.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
try fencing a rolex, tiffany or cartier buddy...

ghetto pads have xbox, ipods, oxy, stupid shit and bad beer that is easy to fence
View Quote

and a lot of the victims won't call police for various reasons.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#21]
We live about 30 min from the rougher sides of the Greater Cleveland Metro area.  There are virtually no break-ins here.  No violent crimes.  It's nice, it's mayberry.  It's not upper-class by any means, solid, middle class and retirees.  We may not have nice new TVs or consoles, but one thing that I do see a lot are NRA stickers.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#22]
It's what they can access, this is why girls and boys we do not want mass transit to our neighborhoods.  Trains/trolleys/buses etc sound nice but all they do is deliver trash to your door.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's what they can access, this is why girls and boys we do not want mass transit to our neighborhoods.  Trains/trolleys/buses etc sound nice but all they do is deliver trash to your door.

View Quote

this.

Tulsa has Bus Transit all over town. but a lot of the crime is committed by teenagers who are forced by court order from 20 years ago to be bused from North Tulsa- all over town to better schools.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Because if there's a piece of shit walking down a nice street, I know ten people already phoned the Sheriff. Also, they know the people making them easy targets to observe and steal from.  
View Quote

This. However, nice neighborhoods do get hit quite often, but from my experience, it's more so with the shitty ones.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#26]
nevermind
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Proximity.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#28]
That POS hood house has.

at the LEAST

3 flat screen TV's

A PS3 PS4 Xbox and other consoles.

and all kinda's of other shit that can be stolen.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#29]
We do not have burglaries in our neighborhood because our HOA does not allow it (it's in the by-laws)
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Poor people can't afford guns.  No guns make a soft target.

Soft target is soft.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There is a lot more of value in there than you might suspect. I worked the ambulance in the not so nice parts of town.

They might be "poor" but they have nicer vehicles, bigger TVs and newer phones and other gizmos than many of the honest hardworking people right here on this website.

To say nothing of the potential score of.... contraband would be appropriate but misleading.

They do it for that, too.
View Quote

Yep. I used to live in an apartment overlooking the Fidelis projects in Boston. I had a third floor balcony overlooking the parking lot. Lots of BMW's and Cadillacs. What really pissed me off was the Jaguar.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm sure that it's much worse than you describe OP.  Mainly because a whole hell

of a lot of the victims (Poor folks who's places are robbed/broken into) are in a sub-set

of the population that may not involve authorities (Section 8/"Project" residents) when

they realize that they've been hit.

The higher profile(Stranger-On-Stranger) robberies get the media attention but most of the youngsters I work

with in Mental-Health had THRIVING "careers" robbing friends and family for years and

only came to our attention (These things are generally handled at the personal level) when someone

ended-up in the ER.

Most of our youngsters are drug seekers and would steal the neighbor's 30yr old tube tv if they thought

that they could get $10 for it at the local cash-house/pawn shop....  It "seems" that 99% of the time

the victims KNOW VERY WELL who it was that robbed them and ass beatings/stabbings/shootings

get picked (As the solution in those populations) WAAAY before registering a complaint with the man

is.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Thugs are pussies squared to the second power. They talk a bunch of shit and are willing to hurt those they perceive as weaker but when the man comes knocking they start to cry and put their hands up.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Newsflash - this just in: Thugs in poverty stricken areas prey on poverty stricken neighbors.

See heading under "Detroit" for further learning.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Half the burglary so work the shit was probably stolen in the first place
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm sure that it's much worse than you describe OP.  Mainly because a whole hell
of a lot of the victims (Poor folks who's places are robbed/broken into) are in a sub-set
of the population that may not involve authorities (Section 8/"Project" residents) when

The higher profile(Stranger-On-Stranger) robberies get the media attention but most of the youngsters I work
with in Mental-Health had THRIVING "careers" robbing friends and family for years and
only came to our attention (These things are generally handled at the personal level) when someone
ended-up in the ER.

Most of our youngsters are drug seekers and would steal the neighbor's 30yr old tube tv if they thought
that they could get $10 for it at the local cash-house/pawn shop....  It "seems" that 99% of the time
the victims KNOW VERY WELL who it was that robbed them and ass beatings/stabbings/shootings
get picked (As the solution in those populations) WAAAY before registering a complaint with the man
is.
View Quote

I'm strangely good with that form of justice.  I encourage it, in fact.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Because they are pawning crap that any pawn shop will take without batting an eye. And poorer people tend to protect their stuff less well.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

ended-up in the ER.

is.
View Quote

Where I live the overwhelming majority of victims who report these crimes are the exact sort of people you are saying do not call the police.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

English!  Do you speak it?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#40]
A good chunk of burglaries are done by dipshit teenagers so it has to be in walking distance for them. Heck a big chunk of the time its them breaking into their neighbors place since they know their schedules. Then you have tweekers who also don't have shit because it all goes into drugs so walking distance usually for them too. The ones who travel a bit are usually more professional and take a lot longer to track down.

Funniest one I remember when I worked for a police department. Dipshit was breaking into houses and stealing shit had his stolen white van full of his loot. Then dipshit gets drunk as hell and drives around in said van gets pulled over and bam a few weeks worth of break ins solved.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I speak Jive, I beleive he was trying to illustrate that the items that were stolen were in fact already stolen from their rightful owners.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much, the turds know the cops will jam them up quick in the nicer hoods, all of them are drug addicts who usually are on foot so it's not like they are going to walk 3 miles
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#43]
People in nice neighborhoods have shitty stuff and a huge mortgage.. shitty neighborhood and all the money is in consumer electronics and drugs..
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#45]
They usually live in poor neighbors and don't want to travel for work.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
THat's where they happen to be I guess.
View Quote

Exactly. They're fucking lazy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Most burglaries are people who know the victim or are an associate. Most burglary victims are involved with drugs/ riff raff.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#48]
My personal theory is that crime in a neighborhood is a reflection of the neighborhood's tolerance to
Crime

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm pretty sure most crime is committed against "friends" relatives, or associates on familiar terrain. Criminals are trying to not get caught, fear is the best deterrent. Criminals without fear don't last long.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Short commute.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top