Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 12:35:50 PM EDT
It bothers me that both the presidential candidates want to shut these 527 groups up. It seems like they are saying that citizens can't speak up for what they believe in. Does this bother anyone else that both candidates are pretty much saying they dont support the 1st amendment?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, why should this be a suprise?  McCain Fiengold is blatantly constitutional yet both (Bush & Kerry) supported it, and Bush was the dope that signed it.  527s are the result of nature always finding a way.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Bush has to do it so he doesn't look like he is in on it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I expect they just want to shut up the other guy's 527s

Who are outspending 'their' 527's by 2-to-1!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I expect they just want to shut up the other guy's 527s hr

It still bothers me. I dont agree with the ACLU, The Brady Bunch, The Communist Party, Moveon.org, or democraticunderground.com, but that doesnt mean i want to shut them up. They have their rights to free speech even if they are idiots. It makes my blood boil when i see the candidate i am going to vote for (Bush) say that he thinks 527s (free speech) are bad for elections.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, neither political party supports the 1st amendment in principle.  They both want to allow free speech that they like and suppress free speech that they dislike.  Unfortunately for them, free speech means just that -- free speech.  That part of the constitution was specifically put in place to allow people with "edge" views to speak without fear of government retribution.

As to the 527's -- they're just the latest in a long line of ways "around the rules".  If they're shut down, something else will pop up in their place.

The rule should be that political candidates and pacs have to provide timely and accurate lists of their donors and amounts donated.   This would allow the fourth estate (5th column?) to investigate any "wierd" amounts or patterns.

- CD
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Honestly, I don't think either candidate really gives a rip about shutting down these groups because of some principle they hold.

Bush doesn't care, he's just playing to the ignorant who believe these entities "put too much money" into politics. Pure political calculation on his part.

Kerry wouldn't care either, since he benefits far more than Bush from these groups - except the swiftvets are kicking his ass up and down the block. He needs to shut them up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Bush wants to shut up the 527s because the vast majority of them are Democratic. Without the 527s, the Dems ability to wage an effective campaign is hampered much more than the Republicans.

Kerry doesn't want to shut down ALL 527s - just the Republican ones, specifically the Swift Vets who are hammering him and costing him points in the polls.

And yes, shutting down 527s is an abortion of free speech in pretty much the same fashion as the Campaign Finance Law is an abortion of free speech.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I would say that you are correct !
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who are outspending 'their' 527's by 2-to-1!

That's more like 20-1
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#13]
The real loser is McCaine, once again the Manchurian Canidate has fucked up.  This is the "I told you so"
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Bush's statement about 527's is designed to highlight the Demonkraps 527s, that have been bankrolled with 6.2 million by the Hungarian foreigner Soros. This approach keeps him(Bush) looking Presidential and maintains the appearance that he has some sense about him. While Kerry's whining about the Swift Boat Vets make him look like a loser and a hypocrite. Waaa Waaa.. I'm getting my butt spanked. Waaa Waaa.. People are starting to ask question about why these ads are such sticking points if they're not true.

There's blood in water and the sharks are starting to circle.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Funny how the Dems didnt scream for this until the Swifties came along. They were all tickity boo with Moveon.org.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#16]
They dont really want them to stop.  But they want to appear like they're taking the high ground.  Talk is cheap, the 527's can operate as much they want, and the government can't do anything about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top