Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2015 12:20:56 PM EDT
I find it interesting that PO boxes cost money when home delivery is free.
A PO box eliminates the need (and associated cost) of mail carriers. You would need a small increase in the amount people sorting mail but you'd be able to cut a large portion of the staff and of course vehicle maintenance costs would decrease by a large margin. Building a larger building to accommodate PO boxes would be a small cost compared to salary, benefits, and pensions for federal employees delivering mail all day.

So why is a PO box $6-$25/month when home delivery is free?

Of course the answer is that every gov't organization's job is to grow and expand the power and scope of the feds but seriously, fuck USPS and their bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:24:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
fuck USPS and their bullshit.
View Quote

You hate the one governmental agency that actually makes money and provides a service? The one part of government that functions reliably and without intruding?

'k.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:26:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 12:26:13 PM EDT by gym007]
Because supply/demand?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:26:08 PM EDT
How do you figure home delivery is free? You and whoever sent it pays postage to get it there. Postage is a stamp that you put on the envelope so the USPO will delivery it. A stamp that you paid for..

How are you going to pay for the building if you don't charge to rent the PO box?

Thanks for trolling by...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:27:41 PM EDT
And all the junk mail I get at home I also get at my PO box.
They should be paying me to use it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:27:55 PM EDT
you can't waste money if it's free
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:29:25 PM EDT
Next up, OP yells at Home Depot cashier for charging him for a mailbox.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:29:25 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pyotr_k:

You hate the one governmental agency that actually makes money and provides a service? The one part of government that functions reliably and without intruding?

'k.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

'k.

Hey Bruh, sorry about my dog biting you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:30:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tbougie1:
How do you figure home delivery is free? You and whoever sent it pays postage to get it there. Postage is a stamp that you put on the envelope so the USPO will delivery it. A stamp that you paid for..

How are you going to pay for the building if you don't charge to rent the PO box?

Thanks for trolling by...
View Quote

That's a terrible counterpoint.

I pay for a stamp whether it goes to a PO box or the box (or cluster of boxes) in your neighborhood. I'd prefer my $0.49 to go to a nice indoor area to collect mail and not to mail carriers (penions, etc) or their vehicle maintenance
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:31:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 12:32:51 PM EDT by Htown156]
<yawn>

Is it bash USPS Tuesday already?

In before "my tax dollars"

To answer the op it probably costs money because they had to pay to build the boxes, pay to house the boxes, issue keys, sort the mail and hand you your packages that don't fit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:31:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HKH:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HKH:

'k.

lol exactly my first thought.  That would totally be my dad's response (he's a retired letter carrier.)  Hell, my Dad gets pissed when I send their Christmas presents via UPS.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:32:13 PM EDT

'k.
View All Quotes

'k.

Maybe for you - my front yard is fenced and the dipshit leaves mail on my porch and fails to close the gate instead of leaving the mail in the open top mail box on the fence.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:33:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By gym007:
Because supply/demand?
View Quote

yeah, I'm not seeing why this is even a question.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:35:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 12:38:21 PM EDT by bradpierson26]
Because supply/demand?
View Quote

supply and demand?
how about NFA branch. Why does it take them 5 months to issue a stamp when I pay them $200?
Seems there's plenty of demand there...

When has the gov't ever gave a shit about what tax payers want or need? They randomly got this one entity correct?
ya, okay
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:36:06 PM EDT
I know, nobody got time fodat!

http://www.carper.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/postal-reform-myths-vs-facts
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:36:24 PM EDT
I know, nobody got time fodat!

http://www.carper.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/postal-reform-myths-vs-facts
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:36:28 PM EDT

'k.
View All Quotes

'k.

Wait, what? Are you saying the USPS runs a profit? Their service is reliable?

I'd say none of your post is accurate, but they do provide a service.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:37:19 PM EDT
Because they are paying for the convenience Nearly every Native that lives on the rez has one.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:37:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 12:37:45 PM EDT by gym007]

supply and demand?
how about NFA branch. Why does it take them 5 months to issue a stamp when I pay them $200?
View All Quotes
Because supply/demand?

supply and demand?

There is limited space for PO Boxes. Do you expect them to be able to provide one for free to everyone?

Do you know how big the building would have to be for that?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:39:48 PM EDT

There is limited space for PO Boxes. Do you expect them to be able to provide one for free to everyone?

View All Quotes
Because supply/demand?

supply and demand?

Did you read anything?
Tell me that a warehouse of PO boxes is more expensive than salary, benefits, pensions for mail carriers, and vehicle purchases, fuel, and maintenance.
I'll wait
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:40:01 PM EDT
Our post office has limited boxes.

There isn't enough for everyone, so if you get one you have to pay for the privilege.

You can also get those massive boxes that will hold about a month's worth of mail safe and secure, so you are also paying for that service.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:40:17 PM EDT
Just testing something, ignore this post.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:40:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 12:43:33 PM EDT by TacticalHeater]
A PO box eliminates the need (and associated cost) of mail carriers. You would need a small increase in the amount people sorting mail but you'd be able to cut a large portion of the staff and of course vehicle maintenance costs would decrease by a large margin. Building a larger building to accommodate PO boxes would be a small cost compared to salary, benefits, and pensions for federal employees delivering mail all day.

Of course the answer is that every gov't organization's job is to grow and expand the power and scope of the feds but seriously, fuck USPS and their bullshit.
View Quote

you do realize that if you ship to a PO box vs a residential home the shipping rates are different right?

in other words, the shorter the trip the cheaper the fare....

Also, they need staff to manage those boxes, someone to fill them, real estate for them to sit on, and property taxes for said real estate, they have to provide security, keys for access, and various other metrics you aren't even considering.

Now, to your other comment, if they were FREE I would have several dozen of them, all over the world.  Why?  You know how many rebates I can take advantage of?

Lastly your argument is flawed, what if you were my neighbor and owned a PO box but I owned just a mail box since I don't want no po boxes?   The mail truck still passed your home.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:41:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:42:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:42:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Aimless:
it would be kind of a big post office if everyone had a free box
View Quote

Tell me that a warehouse of PO boxes is more expensive than salary, benefits, pensions for mail carriers, and vehicle purchases, fuel, and maintenance.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:43:33 PM EDT
Because there's plenty of guys out there that will gladly pay to be able to get stuff without their wife finding out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:45:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 12:48:03 PM EDT by TacticalHeater]

View All Quotes

So are you suggesting that we all have po boxes instead of regular mail boxes?

So for the "savings" which isn't there, you want everyone else to go and DRIVE to their mail station to pickup mail?  Talk about a pneumatic nail-gun to the coffin with buy one get one free nails.

I have a far better idea to up you comrade.   Why have po box stations?  Think of all that taxes, fuel, staffing expenses like you mentioned to have po box stations?!    Why not just have ONE HUGE warehouse in the central point of America.... everyone's PO box is located there.... the mail doesn't even have to leave the building.  In fact, put mail slots in them so that when you want to mail someone else, you just throw it directly in their PO box!  Think of all the man power and money we'll save!  No shipping expenses involving trucks and manpower, just from one box to another box.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:46:03 PM EDT
Because if you have free boxes, FSA will take them all.  

When I lived in Chicago, I used a laundromat that would let you use the dryers for free after midnight.  After midnight, "rich and vibrants" would take every piece of laundry out of a single machine, and then dry them all separately in different machine because they felt entitled to every machine.  It was an absolute display of selfishness.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:46:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TacticalHeater:

you do realize that if you ship to a PO box vs a residential home the shipping rates are different right?
to keep it simple, let's simply talk $0.49 stamps.

Also, they need staff to manage those boxes, more or less than the amount of mail carriers delivering daily? someone to fill them, real estate for them to sit on, agreed, but my argument is that those expenses are less than current expenses and property taxes for said real estate, they have to provide security, like what? keys for access, a large portion of America has clusters of mailboxes in neighborhoods that have keys so this is a non-issue. Fees for lost keys. and various other metrics you aren't even considering. enlighten me please

Now, to your other comment, if they were FREE I would have several dozen of them, all over the world.  Why?  You know how many rebates I can take advantage of?

Lastly your argument is flawed, what if you were my neighbor and owned a PO box but I owned just a mail box since I don't want no po boxes?  consider it like obamacare - if you like your mail box you can keep your mail box. oh wait, no you can't you don't get a choice for home delivery. So the mail truck passes you.  The mail truck still passed your home.
View All Quotes

Also, they need staff to manage those boxes, more or less than the amount of mail carriers delivering daily? someone to fill them, real estate for them to sit on, agreed, but my argument is that those expenses are less than current expenses and property taxes for said real estate, they have to provide security, like what? keys for access, a large portion of America has clusters of mailboxes in neighborhoods that have keys so this is a non-issue. Fees for lost keys. and various other metrics you aren't even considering. enlighten me please

Lastly your argument is flawed, what if you were my neighbor and owned a PO box but I owned just a mail box since I don't want no po boxes?  consider it like obamacare - if you like your mail box you can keep your mail box. oh wait, no you can't you don't get a choice for home delivery. So the mail truck passes you.  The mail truck still passed your home.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:46:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Zcwilkins:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zcwilkins:

'k.

I agree with Zcwilkins. Last time I checked, the post office was running a $1.5 billion deficit in the second quarter of 2015 alone. That's not even counting all of the other quaters they've run a deficit. I think they're cumulatively in the hole $45+ billion right now. I'd say that's quite the opposite of "making money"...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:47:35 PM EDT

Yes. exactly.

So for the "savings" which isn't there, you want everyone else to go and DRIVE to their mail station to pickup mail?  Talk about a pneumatic nail-gun to the coffin with buy one get one free nails.
View All Quotes

Yes. exactly.

Who actually needs mail every day? Go there thrice a week or use UPS, fedex, etc.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:50:02 PM EDT

View All Quotes

Keep it simple?  You mean adjust the metrics of the argument so that you can win the argument? lol

The mail isn't just about postage stamps.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:50:21 PM EDT

'k.
View All Quotes

'k.

By "makes money" you mean "makes money disappear", right? They lose about 5 billion a year.

image credit: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-08-11/us-postal-service-over-47-billion-losses-past-decade-and-counting-44-billion-capital

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:52:11 PM EDT

Who actually needs mail every day? Go there thrice a week or use UPS, fedex, etc.
View All Quotes

Yes. exactly.

This is hilarious.  Nothing better than socialism.  Why don't we just store our guns at gun clubs too?

Fuck it, why drive?  We all need to move closer together!

Who needs their mail everyday?  Uhmmmm I do.

Pssssttt.... Fedex and UPS offers this thing called pickup services  I don't have to drive anywhere.  And guess what?  Your argument is flawed there too, fedex and UPS DELIVERS to my house.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:52:35 PM EDT

Keep it simple?  You mean adjust the metrics of the argument so that you can win the argument? lol

View All Quotes

Fair enough, this is a real argument, not just trolling the USPS.
So if I walk into a USPS location and select first class mail to my friend in Boise, ID, it's going to be a cheaper rate to his house vs to his neighborhood USPS branch?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:55:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 12:56:19 PM EDT by bradpierson26]

This is hilarious.  Nothing better than socialism.  Why don't we just store our guns at gun clubs too?

Fuck it, why drive?  We all need to move closer together!

Who needs their mail everyday?  Uhmmmm I do.

Pssssttt.... Fedex and UPS offers this thing called pickup services  I don't have to drive anywhere.  And guess what?  Your argument is flawed there too, fedex and UPS DELIVERS to my house.
View Quote

Let me clarify, you need bills and junk mail delivered every day?
I'm saying if you want mail every day, have the shipper use fed ex or UPS who would still do daily home delivery. Or drive your butt to the post office. Are you opposed to online bill pay? Does your grandma send you post cards daily? Genuine curiosity, what do you get every day that's so important?
I think the larger socialist idea is a USPS worker working from 18-38 yrs old and then providing a pension til they die. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:57:49 PM EDT
Fair enough, this is a real argument, not just trolling the USPS.
So if I walk into a USPS location and select first class mail to my friend in Boise, ID, it's going to be a cheaper rate to his house vs to his neighborhood USPS branch?
View Quote

If you assume that EVERYONE (or most) had a PO box, then no it would be cheaper. But when the established method is X, and you want Y, then Y is typically going to be more expensive. Cost of the box, cost of the square footage, cost of the delivery person, etc.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:58:49 PM EDT
Where I live, the post office does not deliver to the houses or businesses.  Because of this, my PO Box is free.

The reason most places charge for the box, is that there are not enough boxes, or space to handle all the addresses or the traffic for the particular zip code.

Imagine all the folks in your zip code having to converge on the post office daily.  In my town, it is easy, but in a larger city the post office would have to have a much larger building, and parking.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:01:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ArimoDave:
Where I live, the post office does not deliver to the houses or businesses.  Because of this, my PO Box is free.

The reason most places charge for the box, is that there are not enough boxes, or space to handle all the addresses or the traffic for the particular zip code.

Imagine all the folks in your zip code having to converge on the post office daily.  In my town, it is easy, but in a larger city the post office would have to have a much larger building, and parking.
View Quote

So how does the increased cost of a building, utilities, upkeep, property taxes, parking space, etc, compare to the current costs associated with a team of mail carriers?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:02:44 PM EDT

'k.
View All Quotes

'k.

I am going to guess that you weren't very good at the maths in skoolz.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:04:17 PM EDT

View All Quotes
Because supply/demand?

supply and demand?

Yes, I do.  I would rather they give a taxpayer a mailbox, than to spend it on free shit for people that don't work.  It actually makes more sense.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:04:37 PM EDT

Did you read anything?
I'll wait
View All Quotes
Because supply/demand?

supply and demand?

Did you read anything?
I'll wait

Free PO boxes don't necessarily eliminate mail carriers.  It's not like the mail carriers go away if PO boxes become free and SOME people opt to use them.  You will still need mail carrier coverage in all of the same areas you had before.  Maybe you could expand the ground that a single carrier could cover with fewer stops but it won't be by much and it certainly won't be a 1 to 1 savings and transit time is a big factor in their day and would remain fixed.

If you take the plan one step further and eliminate home delivery in favor of a massive PO box warehouse in each town, now you generate a massive economic inefficiency as you've got thousands of people making period mail runs to the central office instead of a handful of carriers making daily runs to their respective areas in a relatively efficient manner.

So yeah, I think your plan is more expensive if not dramatically more expensive if we look at the total economic cost and not just the Postal Service's books.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:06:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Skillshot:

By "makes money" you mean "makes money disappear", right? They lose about 5 billion a year.

http://i.imgur.com/eoBX4tV.jpg

image credit: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-08-11/us-postal-service-over-47-billion-losses-past-decade-and-counting-44-billion-capital

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Skillshot:

'k.

http://i.imgur.com/eoBX4tV.jpg

If they weren't forced to pre fund the retirement for their employees they'd be fine.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:06:38 PM EDT
I wish I got home delivery. I have to drive to the Post office to get my mail, no home delivery at all here. Lots of small towns around here are like this. Fuck you and your "free home delivery".
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:06:41 PM EDT

'k.
View All Quotes

'k.

Try again.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:09:53 PM EDT

View Quote

I'm sure the post office has done a cost analysis, and in very rural areas it is cheaper to give everyone a free po box than have daily delivery to each house.

In the rest of the country, most people want delivery to their home or business so giving away free boxes wont eliminate the need for mailmen delivering to mailboxes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:11:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 1:17:36 PM EDT by Kharn]
If you live in an area without home delivery, the box is free.  At least until there are more houses than boxes, then they charge for boxes and non-payers must pick their mail up from the counter.

Near my parents there is a little post office with maybe 200 boxes in a 20x30' building with a part-time staffed counter, you can have your mail delivered there into your free box if you use their zip code, or have a big post office a few miles up the road deliver it to your house if you use their zip, delivery service only started in the 90s.  Almost no one uses the small office, but it is kept open because the little old ladies who do would pitch a fit if the larger office started dropping their crap off at their door and the land were sold.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:17:23 PM EDT

So how does the increased cost of a building, utilities, upkeep, property taxes, parking space, etc, compare to the current costs associated with a team of mail carriers?
View All Quotes

They just do stupid things to keep the costs up, like have a 150 sq ft staffed post office in a town of 25 people, 7 miles from another town of similar size, with a staffed post office

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:19:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 1:19:27 PM EDT by Kharn]
Originally Posted By jeremy223:
They just do stupid things to keep the costs up, like have a 150 sq ft staffed post office in a town of 25 people, 7 miles from another town of similar size, with a staffed post office  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jeremy223:

Witness protection needs easy places to hide people.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:27:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 1:30:35 PM EDT by Rifleguy81]

You hate the one governmental agency that actually makes money and provides a service? The one part of government that functions and without intruding?

'k.
View All Quotes

You hate the one governmental agency that actually makes money and provides a service? The one part of government that functions and without intruding?

'k.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top