Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/5/2013 7:02:59 AM EDT
I mean, aside from the fact that it is a Marine movie with Clint Eastwood, it seems to clash a lot with the Marine image.

Examples:

1) Recon Marines are supposed to be "carnivorous motherfuckers," right?  These guys (at first) couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.  That big Swede got owned by an old man lol

2) At what looked like 25m, they couldn't hit shit with their M16s.  Every Marine a Rifleman?

3) When they ambushed 1st Platoon, the way they were holding their rifles?  FAIL

4) Multiple Marines getting manhandled by that club owner romance-novel-cover-looking motherfucker just for going "errr!" Maybe, but it looked ridiculous the way they all backed down and had to get rescued by Gunny Highway.

Besides, wasn't this movie supposed to be about a dude in the Army, but they wouldn't have it?

Please Marines don't take this too seriously.  I actually thoroughly enjoyed Heartbreak Ridge, I just don't know if it does the Marine Corps any justice.

In before I get carved into faggot wings.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I like it because our Senior DI had it playing in the squad bay the night before our graduation from boot...
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:07:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Every Marine I have met seems to love it
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:07:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Because its a badass fucking film?

my dad let me watch it on VHS when I was like 5, wanted to be a Marine since I first saw it
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:09:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Marines like anything Marines, fact or fiction. In this case fiction since it was an Army unit. No one has propaganda like the Marine Corps.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:11:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Marines like anything Marines, fact or fiction. In this case fiction since it was an Army unit. No one has propaganda like the Marine Corps.

View Quote

Even Windtalkers, Gomer Pyle, and Major Dad?
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#7]
As far as a Marine movie goes, it is very inaccurate. Especially the part about Recon being all jacked up. However, it is a Marine movie and us Marines love that stuff. Now, if you wanna see an accurate movie. watch Battle for Haditha. They used all former Marines for that movie. Its pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:16:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:17:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:21:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Even Windtalkers, Gomer Pyle, and Major Dad
?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Even Windtalkers, Gomer Pyle, and Major Dad
?

No.

Major Payne is pretty awesome though

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Lots of scenes with them shirtless and wearing Hooters shorts?
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
<----Not a Marine.

I love that movie.
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm no MARINE, but this ARMY dude likes the movie because Clint Eastwood is the motherfucking MAN!
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:25:40 AM EDT
[#15]
They love the rampant homoeroticism.

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#16]
stich jones and the swede!!

semper fi!
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#17]
FortyFiveAutomatic

Which branch of the U.S. military did you serve in?  Or did you ever serve in any country's armed forces?
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:33:49 AM EDT
[#18]
While it is not my least favorite movie.

I just can't get over how screwed up the unit is portrayed.

There will always be one turd in every group but not everyone.

I will watch it to see Clint kick some ass but that's it.

I absolutely hate "The Rock".

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:35:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even Windtalkers, Gomer Pyle, and Major Dad?

No.

"Killing is my business, ladies!  And business is gooood!"
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#20]
RECON

KICKS

BUTT.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:39:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
While it is not my least favorite movie.
I just can't get over how screwed up the unit is portrayed.
There will always be one turd in every group but not everyone.
I will watch it to see Clint kick some ass but that's it.

I absolutely hate "The Rock".

View Quote

Nicholas Cage also sucked in Firebirds-I think if he's in a military movie that suckage is guaranteed.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:39:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Despite the fact that 90% of the shit was made up. The fact that the Shitty ass supply Major and his cock smoking 1st Sgt got thier just desserts while the hard core nitty gritty Gunny Highway made warriors out of Marines makes it a great USMC movie.  

Clinton era Marines can identify with a lot of the bullshit that was portrayed in the movie.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:39:56 AM EDT
[#23]

The military in general was a mess after Vietnam.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:40:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Saw it on the theater in Jacksonville, NC.

Marines were walking out.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:40:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They love the rampant homoeroticism.

View Quote

That too
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:41:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Not a big fan of the movie.  I mean, I love Clint Eastwood in it, but other than him, it's corny as shit.  I mean super ultra cornball.  Mario Van Peebles as a 80s caricature weekend rock star...I don't think even in the 80s anyone would think mario Van peebles music act in that movie would be cool.  The fact that they made Recon out to be the Marine Corps biggest slackers.  The story is corny, the dialogue is all corny.

If not for Clint Eastwood doing his Clint Eastwood schtick, it might be one of the worst military movies of all time.

I'm almost surprised other Marines like it at all.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:45:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
FortyFiveAutomatic

Which branch of the U.S. military did you serve in?  Or did you ever serve in any country's armed forces?
View Quote

I didn't, but major respect to those who have or are currently.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:45:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Because they are no longer 0-1-1?   Sorry, couldnt resist.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#29]
<----- Marine

Wouldn't say I LOVE it, but its a good movie. I don't ever get too caught up in whether MOVIES are accurate or not. I just look at them on an entertainment point of view. If it were really accurate, it would show them all field daying their rooms, properly blousing their boots, and sweeping the common areas. lol.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Roger that. Sgt. Grit is proof that Marines will buy anything with an EGA on it.
Check grunt.com for proof. I wonder if they still have EGA doorknobs?
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#31]
I didn't care for it, except for the part where that one nerd officer goes on about "it's a fine day for training"....

Other than that, it was a very stupid movie.  There was a lot of WTF? in it.  

I did enjoy seeing Camp Pendleton, though.  It was filmed in 25 Area (Vado Del Rio), and I've been in and around some of those same Quonset huts you see in the film.

Also, if you went to boot at MCRD SD / RFTD CamPen in the '80s, you've been inside that very same LVTP-7 hull that's briefly shown.  It's probably still there for all I know.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Clinton era Marines can identify with a lot of the bullshit that was portrayed in the movie.

Carter era Marine.   My Battalion's admin platoon was made up of NCO's, the majority of whom were busted repeatedly for marijuana possession and usually not reduced in rank.

My company was made up of black NCO's who were all dealing drugs (including the staff sergeant), white NCO's who nearly all went AWOL for up to a year and when caught would be returned to the unit with no reduction in rank.  

Platoon 1st Lt. regularly had parties for certain individual's at his house where drugs were openly used and his publicly stated goal was to get out of the Marines at the end of his time and score an ounce of coke.

I was hit over the head once by two privates with a sledge hammer handle when I went to kick the 3 of them out of the barracks at 2:00am in the morning (the 3rd private had been AWOL for 2 years and was awaiting a BCD) when they arrived back drunk and high on weed laced with PCP, yelling they were in the KKK and they were going to kill all the Ni**ers in the barracks.

I ended up subduing the one that hit me, the other one ran and hid the sledgehammer handle after the assault.
There were court martials that followed for assaulting an NCO and BCD for the privates.

My experience in the Marine Corps was much worse than anything I saw in that movie.    
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Saw it on the theater in Jacksonville, NC.

Marines were walking out.
View Quote

As a Marine, I agree with OP.

The guys in the movie don't rate to be in the
national guard much less the USMC.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Carter era Marine.   My Battalion's admin platoon was made up of NCO's, the majority of whom were busted repeatedly for marijuana possession and usually not reduced in rank.

My company was made up of black NCO's who were all dealing drugs (including the staff sergeant), white NCO's who nearly all went AWOL for up to a year and when caught would be returned to the unit with no reduction in rank.  

Platoon 1st Lt. regularly had parties for certain individual's at his house where drugs were openly used and his publicly stated goal was to get out of the Marines at the end of his time and score an ounce of coke.

I was hit over the head once by two privates with a sledge hammer handle when I went to kick the 3 of them out of the barracks at 2:00am in the morning (the 3rd private had been AWOL for 2 years and was awaiting a BCD) when they arrived back drunk and high on weed laced with PCP, yelling they were in the KKK and they were going to kill all the Ni**ers in the barracks.

I ended up subduing the one that hit me, the other one ran and hid the sledgehammer handle after the assault.
There were court martials that followed for assaulting an NCO and BCD for the privates.

My experience in the Marine Corps was much worse than anything I saw in that movie.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow. Thanks for sharing your perspective, pretty hard-to-believe stuff in there (not that I don't believe you).
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#35]
My ship was there off the coast and we saw the fireworks (USS Suribachi AE-21) and we got some good pictures of each other manning the 50 caliber.

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 8:17:58 AM EDT
[#36]
I thought it sucked.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea I know a few Wingers that served back then and said Post VN was like the wild west.  Rampant drug abuse and break down in command structure
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#38]
I don't know about Marines but i like the movie because it has my boat in it.  I spent three years on the Saipan and went to Grenada with the Marines.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't, Recon is squared away, the grunts are too, never saw any lax shit like that before.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#40]
It was made to be an entertaining movie not a documentary.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 8:39:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Wow. Thanks for sharing your perspective, pretty hard-to-believe stuff in there (not that I don't believe you).
View Quote

During my time at Camp Lejeune there was an armed assault on the base hospital for drugs.

While on a Northern Atlantic deployment on the U.S.S. Austin heavy equipment operators attached to my unit smuggled a large quantity of hashish back to the U.S. by placing the drugs in the hydraulic system of a bulldozer which was then placed in a landing craft in the ship's well deck.  

Anyone that served on Naval ships in the 1970's to early 1980's knew that you did not touch any drug stash you stumbled upon while on the ship.  You just might find yourself swimming as the ship sailed over the horizon. I did many nights on the quarter deck searching Marines and Naval personnel coming back from liberty.  I took many switchblades and a few small caliber pistols off of Marines coming back from liberty.  

One pistol, little .25 caliber, I took off a black private who took a swing at me on ship a few days earlier who I knocked on his ass before others pulled me off of him.  There were no background checks to buy a pistol in Brazil.  I can only imagine what he was going to use the pistol for.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Lots of scenes with them shirtless and wearing Hooters shorts?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm no MARINE, but this ARMY dude likes the movie because Clint Eastwood is the motherfucking MAN!
View Quote

+1

And I don´t give a f**k about Major Powers!!

MN
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 8:59:19 AM EDT
[#45]
It was supposed to be Marines out of Camp Lejune, yet, was filmed at the top of Camp Pendleton, CA in Camp San Mateo (area 62) and Camp Christianitos (area 63).  The Quonset huts were up in are 63 and other than training and housing reservists, it wasn't used for much while I was there (was stationed in Camp San Mateo with 5th Marines at the time).  I want to say the helo tower was in area 62 backyard, but my memory is a little hazy since it's been forever since I've seen that movie.

Was interesting watching that movie going "wrong side of the country dumbasses...." and also thinking that most of the Recon Marines I had met were pretty damn squared away.

Eh...turn off reality and ignore a few (okay, a looottt) details, and enjoy it for what it is...a Clint Eastwood action movie.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yea I know a few Wingers that served back then and said Post VN was like the wild west.  Rampant drug abuse and break down in command structure
View Quote

My father left the Navy in 75 for that reason.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Same
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<----Not a Marine.

I love that movie.

Same

Yep
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#48]
If it was supposed to be about an Army unit, which unit was it about?
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

During my time at Camp Lejeune there was an armed assault on the base hospital for drugs.

While on a Northern Atlantic deployment on the U.S.S. Austin heavy equipment operators attached to my unit smuggled a large quantity of hashish back to the U.S. by placing the drugs in the hydraulic system of a bulldozer which was then placed in a landing craft in the ship's well deck.  

Anyone that served on Naval ships in the 1970's to early 1980's knew that you did not touch any drug stash you stumbled upon while on the ship.  You just might find yourself swimming as the ship sailed over the horizon. I did many nights on the quarter deck searching Marines and Naval personnel coming back from liberty.  I took many switchblades and a few small caliber pistols off of Marines coming back from liberty.  

One pistol, little .25 caliber, I took off a black private who took a swing at me on ship a few days earlier who I knocked on his ass before others pulled me off of him.  There were no background checks to buy a pistol in Brazil.  I can only imagine what he was going to use the pistol for.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn....
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If it was supposed to be about an Army unit, which unit was it about?
View Quote

1st Cav

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top