Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2013 12:16:51 PM EDT
I periodically get online to find that I'm logged off of the websites I frequent and normally stay logged onto.  I'm running Windows 7 and Norton.  Is there some setting that is periodically kicking me off of these websites?  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it happens.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#1]
nsa. my phone keeps turning itself on
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Does your browser blow out your cookies at the end of each session? That would do it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]
maybe norton is doing cache dumps when it runs a scan or something. I've never had much luck with norton, it seems ti cause more problems than it solves.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]
GODDAMN COOKIES, BRO!

U EVEN COOK?!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I periodically get online to find that I'm logged off of the websites I frequent and normally stay logged onto.  I'm running Windows 7 and Norton.  Is there some setting that is periodically kicking me off of these websites?  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it happens.
View Quote

If your browser is clearing your cookies and/or cache it will log you out.

Check your browser settings.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Some websites, for security reasons log you out after a certain time. Regardless of how your internet cache is setup, there is no way around staying logged in using your browser if the website logs you out. You can use it to save passwords, but is generally a bad idea.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm pretty sure it's specific to my PC because it's never just one website, it's all or most of them.  I have no idea what settings to look at to see if IE is doing it.  It might be happening on a regularly scheduled time but it doesn't seem like it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you surfing same sites at work or ipad? Sometime it only lets the same ID on one device at a time.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you surfing same sites at work or ipad? Sometime it only lets the same ID on one device at a time.
View Quote

I applies to websites I cannot access from work, so that's not it.  

I'm wondering (I hate to voice this cynical speculation) if an unauthorized user is doing this.  We have some family members staying with us and they are here during the day while my wife and I are at work.  They are not supposed to use this computer but I sometimes suspect they might be.  Is there a way to tell if it's being manually flushed?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#10]
So, why don't you set a login password?

Better question, why don't you already have a login password?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm wondering (I hate to voice this cynical speculation) if an unauthorized user is doing this.  We have some family members staying with us and they are here during the day while my wife and I are at work.  They are not supposed to use this computer but I sometimes suspect they might be.  Is there a way to tell if it's being manually flushed?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at the Internet history.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So, why don't you set a login password?

Better question, why don't you already have a login password?
View Quote

My wife gets pissy if I do anything to secure the computer.  We don't see 100% eye-to-eye on who is allowed to use it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Either your browser is tossing its cookies, or the sites are implanting cookies with time limits.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#15]
common sense would be to first dump norton and see what happens.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure it's specific to my PC because it's never just one website, it's all or most of them.  I have no idea what settings to look at to see if IE is doing it.  It might be happening on a regularly scheduled time but it doesn't seem like it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Problem Identified.

Quoted:
...  I'm running Windows 7 and Norton...

Oh god, you're running Norton too?

It's a wonder your computer runs at all with all the viruses and spyware it undoubtedly has.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top