Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2006 12:53:46 PM EDT
I hate to add yet another inane topic to this board but I'm at a loss to understand why my dog periodically rolls in shit. Is there any way to stop this behavior?

Bomber
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#1]
None of my dogs rollin shit..........My dogs like to roll in dead fish.

I have no clue why they do it.

Easy way to stop them.......shoot them in the ass with a .22 loaded with some birdshot/snakeshot.

It will not penetrate but it will make them stop.....do not ask how I know!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're caught doing this be fully prepared to have your dog seized and be fined or jailed for animal cruelty.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you're caught doing this be fully prepared to have your dog seized and be fined or jailed for animal cruelty.

Oh settle the fuck down.

Did I ever say that I did this to my dogs......NO!
So instead of jumping on your high horse and jumping to conclusions......settle down!

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#4]
use a shock collar
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#5]
To mask their scent
Theyll roll on dead animals too
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
To mask their scent

Are they doing it to mask their scent or to spread their scent?

Why would a dog want to mask their own scent?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Back to the original topic.....

They do it for the scent.  Why they would want to smell like shit, I will never know, but it is for scent reasons.  Usually it occurs when there is another dogs crap in their territory.  Rarely, their own....
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Back to the original topic.....

They do it for the scent.  Why they would want to smell like shit, I will never know, but it is for scent reasons.  Usually it occurs when there is another dogs crap in their territory.  Rarely, their own....

Ok, so they roll in another dogs shit to mask their own scent....this makes no sense to me.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#9]
To prove how tough they are.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh settle the fuck down.

So instead of jumping on your high horse and jumping to conclusions......settle down!

Did I say you should be penalized for doing this to your dogs??  Nope.

Just stating the consequences to the aforementioned suggestion in case he thought *maybe* that'd be a good idea.

Stop assuming you know what I'm thinkin and getting your panties in a twist.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I am of two minds on this question:

1) The dog is rolling on the shit in an attempt to mask the [shit] scent of the challenging dog, which it sees as an interloper.

2) It actually *wants* to pick up the shit scent.  Why?  To buy time.  For a while, your dog's scent (to other dogs who see/smell it) includes the scent of the interloping animal.  Other dogs will think it's your dog (kind of like assuming an identity, like in Face/Off).
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
To mask their scent

Are they doing it to mask their scent or to spread their scent?

Why would a dog want to mask their own scent?

Mine does it when he is hunting, Ive seen him roll on just about everything that smells.
Ive seen coyotes do it too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Its a predatory instinct. If a dog, yote, wolf etc doesn't smell like itself (a predator) it can sneak up on its prey a lot easier.

Also, some dogs do it after getting a bath because the perfume in some soaps smells shitty to them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Stop feeding your dog.  No food= no shit.  No shit= nothing to roll in.  It's all common sense.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh settle the fuck down.

Just stating the consequences to the aforementioned suggestion in case he thought *maybe* that'd be a good idea.

OK guys, settle down or get a room. I'm not stupid enough to think he was serious.

I always thought it was to mask their odor but why shit . Anyway, I wish it there was an easy way to stop it.

Bomber
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

OK guys, settle down or get a room. I'm not stupid enough to think he was serious.

I always thought it was to mask their odor but why shit . Anyway, I wish it there was an easy way to stop it.

Bomber

Lordy I'd hope not!!

I wouldn't guess it's always poop.. seen enough of 'em eat it and more of 'em roll in mud than poop.

You could try pooper scooping more regularly to keep them out of the poop.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Why would they arrest and/or fine the dog for animal cruelty?  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I tried to get him to stop, I kicked the livin shit out of him and threw rocks every time I caught him doing it but he never slowed down. I just got tired of getting on to him so now he is never allowed in the house or in the front of my truck. He seems to be okay with that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#19]
why do human hunters try to mask their scent, or use scent killing clothing or sprays?

Same thing with dogs.  Even though they know the food bowl will always be there, they can't fight their predatory instincts.

When deer hunters start rolling in offal, though, we have a problem.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#20]
To get rid of your (human) smell.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh settle the fuck down.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I hate to add yet another inane topic to this board but I'm at a loss to understand why my dog periodically rolls in shit. Is there any way to stop this behavior?

Bomber

Pick the poop up?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Perfume to them. Mine will occasionally roll in coon poop which is NASTY. They get an immediate bath and If I see them I will put a spritz of capsium on the offending poo. The next time they sniff, [and they always do before they roll] they get a surprise. They have rolled a lot less since I started doing that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

They learned it from Chuck.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#26]
They roll in it for the same reason they love to eat catshit fritters-------------they know it grosses us out...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Why do Dogs roll in poop?

Because prey has never had a turd sneak up on them and kill and eat them.

Dead fish has the same effect

GM
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

+1 I dare anyone to roll in some shit
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Why do Dogs roll in poop?

Because prey has never had a turd sneak up on them and kill and eat them.

Dead fish has the same effect

GM

+1 for the only serious answer in this thread.

I've heard the same thing.  Same reasoning, but opposite technique of why cat's spend so much time cleaning themselves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top