Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/16/2015 1:41:45 PM EDT
I often see pictures of aircraft carriers with all their aircraft on the flight deck. It is normally when they are in port. I always figured it was just for show, but I have seen some pictures of them on maneuvers or crossing the ocean with their airwing on the deck.

Does anybody know why this is?

on CNN.com today there is an article about the "Top Gun Carrier"/USS Ranger being scrapped. There is a series of photos including one with the USS Stennis in a lightning storm with all the aircraft on deck.

It seems like it would be safer to store these multi-million dollar machines on the hanger deck during a storm. It just made me wonder why they store them on the flight deck.

Any navy veterans know?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#1]
They don't all fit in 3 crowded hangars.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Space, and because if you need to scramble, you don't want to have to go after them one or two at a time with the lift.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This^

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Same reason I have 2 cars in the driveway, because the garage is full.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aren't the hangers mostly used for maintenance these days?  I'd imagine it requires a whole lot of real estate to swap out a jet engine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Makes it easier to host ballroom dancing
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Gotcha, I always figured they had enough hanger space for the entire airwing on the hanger deck. I guess in some cases they want as many jets on the carrier as they can get.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Hangar 1 is 1/2 SE gear and usually a COD. Hangar 2 mostly has downed birds and a couple ready to go. Hangar 3 has ready birds and 1/2 is supply stuff.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Makes it easier to host ballroom dancing
View Quote

That happens down on the 8th deck bowling alley.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Always ready FO TIME
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I would imagine to have them "ready". Imagine how long it takes to lift them out of the hangars and get them prepped. Atleast thats what I think. Maybe theres other reasons.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I assume those are alert aircraft.

Hard to be a useful asset if you have to spend a couple hours unpacking all the weapons
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#13]
You can't launch alert aircraft from the hanger bay.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#14]
We need an airboss in here to tell you in a gentle and inoffensive way.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Aircraft carriers don't like to carry concealed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Space, and because if you need to scramble, you don't want to have to go after them one or two at a time with the lift.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#17]

They just mopped the downstairz floors and don't want marks on them?

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Sometimes it looks like the catapults are blocked by parked aircraxt. What am I missing?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
They just mopped the downstairz floors and don't want marks on them?

View Quote

They need the room for boxing matches.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I took a tour of an Aircraft Carrier when I was at a bowl game one time in San Diego. I traded a TShirt with one of the guys on the boat and he took me everywhere.   We spent about three hour meandering around. The only place we didn't go was around the nuclear plant, but we basically went end to end on that boat.

What surprised me was how freaking packed in the planes are in the hangars.  That's gotta be the biggest, most expensive game of "Tiles" I've ever seen.   I have no idea how they get planes out of the hold, but it looked like it was structured to be able to get a few of each plane easily, then move the rest around so they could get more of the ones they needed.  It was awesome.

The other amazing thing, how freaking bad the sleeping quarters smelled.  Wow.  imagine about 6 guys, in a closet, all playing cards, and half of them smoking.  holy moses.  I don't think they were supposed to be smoking,  boat was in port an on skeleton crew,  and they seemed awful surprised when we poked our head in there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sometimes it looks like the catapults are blocked by parked aircraxt. What am I missing?
View Quote

Because they are. CATS 1 and 2 are more restrictive for launch so are used less often but less often is still a lot.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:04:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sometimes.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#24]
The British and Japanese used to carry all their planes in the hanger, but the American system of flight-deck parking proved superior in WWII.  By the end of the war the British had adopted our system.  Deck parking generally doubles the amount of planes that can be carried.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hangar 1 is 1/2 SE gear and usually a COD. Hangar 2 mostly has downed birds and a couple ready to go. Hangar 3 has ready birds and 1/2 is supply stuff.
View Quote

Which includes trash mountain.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit, 10 minutes...  this thing'll be over in 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I thought they could all fit in the hangars of required? I mean if a typhoon hits or some such I sure would not want to test out how strong the chains and connection points are...
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/aircraft-carrier-35.jpg

Like my garage, the hanger has been full of cardboard boxes since Christmas. Got to park the aircraft somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Uh, because the pattern is full Ghostrider?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Navy has been doing this for a while. They might know what they are doing.

Saltwater corrosion would be my biggest concern.  How do they keep that under control is my biggest question.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I thought they could all fit in the hangars of required? I mean if a typhoon hits or some such I sure would not want to test out how strong the chains and connection points are...
View Quote

Do you even weather radar?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#32]
OP, same concept with people parking their $50k cars in the driveway when they already have a garage...
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Saltwater corrosion would be my biggest concern.  How do they keep that under control is my biggest question.
View Quote

Elbows. Lots of fucking elbows.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Aren't the hangers mostly used for maintenance these days?  I'd imagine it requires a whole lot of real estate to swap out a jet engine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the requirements for the F-35C was that the engine had to be able to be swapped from within the jet's footprint.  I can't imagine that's a new requirement.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

heavy weather just means these planes are getting a free bath. Chains are pretty strong when you're at 12 point anchors.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The British and Japanese used to carry all their planes in the hanger, but the American system of flight-deck parking proved superior in WWII.  By the end of the war the British had adopted our system.  Deck parking generally doubles the amount of planes that can be carried.
View Quote

The Japanese learned a hard lesson at Midway about warming aircraft up on the hangar deck.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Those aren't aircraft. They're blown up balloons that look like aircraft. It keeps people guessing.

BTW, the carriers are also balloons. They're towed by subs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your logic is like parking you car in the wood framed detached garage to prevent any damage from an F5 tornado.

And these ships can take a lot...Here is a super carrier at sea.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Impressed this hasn't turned into a battleship thread yet.

All that deck space wasted... just think of all the 16" guns you could fit....

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#40]
because the mooring buoys don't work so well for aircraft that don't float and are hard to tow if underway
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Your logic is like parking you car in the wood framed detached garage to prevent any damage from an F5 tornado.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cWyHLup7FY

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cWyHLup7FY

Wow, I'm sure those chains are strong, but that Seahawk may be better off moved towards the rear of the boat. At that point I'm sure it was too late to try and move it though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Able seamen are spawned from a briny, swirling pool with a mop and a bucket in hand
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The Japanese learned a hard lesson at Midway about warming aircraft up on the hangar deck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

warming up?  the harshest lesson IIRC was don't be wishy washy with your ordinance packages...they were midway (lol) through re-arming for ground or air (forgot which) and had everything on deck when we attacked ??

edit! ha reading for comprehension fail.....  your talking about hangar deck not exposed flight deck....  I shut up now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
 the harshest lesson IIRC was don't be wishy washy with your ordinance packages...they were midway (lol) through re-arming for ground or air (forgot which) and had everything on deck when we attacked ??

View Quote

If you're gonna be wrong, be wrong in a loud, brash, violent manner, and be wrong right fucking now.  Hesitation kills.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/aircraft-carrier-35.jpg

3 + 4

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We'd sail into a TYPHOON?!?!  What are we, in 1515 or 2015?

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why do they carry so many planes?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To blow more shit up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I took a tour of an Aircraft Carrier when I was at a bowl game one time in San Diego. I traded a TShirt with one of the guys on the boat and he took me everywhere.   We spent about three hour meandering around. The only place we didn't go was around the nuclear plant, but we basically went end to end on that boat.

What surprised me was how freaking packed in the planes are in the hangars.  That's gotta be the biggest, most expensive game of "Tiles" I've ever seen.   I have no idea how they get planes out of the hold, but it looked like it was structured to be able to get a few of each plane easily, then move the rest around so they could get more of the ones they needed.  It was awesome.

The other amazing thing, how freaking bad the sleeping quarters smelled.  Wow.  imagine about 6 guys, in a closet, all playing cards, and half of them smoking.  holy moses.  I don't think they were supposed to be smoking,  boat was in port an on skeleton crew,  and they seemed awful surprised when we poked our head in there.
View Quote

It's a ship or vessel. NOT a BOAT!

"The distinction between a ship and a boat varies depending on regional definitions, but as a general rule, a boat can fit onto a ship. A ship, in other words, is a very large ocean-going vessel, while a boat tends to be much smaller. Additionally, a ship usually is defined as having a displacement larger than 500 tons."

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-difference-between-a-ship-and-a-boat.htm
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Makes it easier to pressure-wash the poop deck
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top