Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 4:53:58 AM EDT
No i didn't change it. It jus tchanged its self overnight .

Hmmmmmm tried to post this and it went to page not found javascrip error.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:55:43 AM EDT
[#1]
what does that have to do with your ip changing.  your isp changes your ip address whenever they please.   unless its a static ip.   and you would know if they changed it because your interweb wouldn't work
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:58:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm ok, i didn't know ive had this one for like 9 months. Just thought it was odd to see a different one.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:07:14 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are on a cable modem you have a dynamic IP address, you can pay more for a static IP probably.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:07:47 AM EDT
[#4]
OK now wtf its back to normal use a proxy server was checked in options.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:10:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you are on a cable modem you have a dynamic IP address, you can pay more for a static IP probably.

I thought cable used a static IP. Just wondering, I'm no expert.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:17:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not for residential cable users. In my case, Adelphia uses DHCP but with long lease times so my ip addy almost never changes.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not for residential cable users. In my case, Adelphia uses DHCP but with long lease times so my ip addy almost never changes.

You are correct about Aldephai.  My children have Adelphia, and someone was trying to hack into my router, you can see the attacks in the router log.  My son called Adephia, and the tech person said that in order to get a new IP address you have to turn the cable modem off for 24 hours.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You change your IP address
-buy another ethernet card
-use command prompt " ipconfig /release "
-PULL THE POWER CORD OUT THE MODEM FAST SO THE MODEM WILL NOT TRY TO RECONNECT TO THE INTERNET
-wait a couple minutes or a hour...wait a hour or so is the best option
-switch the cards by taking out the cable connecting ethernet card #1 to the modem. Connect that cable to ethernet card #2 and the modem.  
-put the power cord back in to the modem.
-your IP address should be change

You can change your IP address again and again using those two ethernet cards and by following those step... I can't get another IP address without doing those steps because of the ISP for some reason.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#9]
If you are on cable or DSL, your IP address isn't normally guaranteed to stay the same, but it usually does. Mine has changed a couple times in the last couple years that I know of.

With dial-up providers, they don't have enough phone lines for everyone to connect at once--so they don't need that many IP addresses. So they have a small number of IP addresses, and a system that gives each customer a temporary IP address every time you connect.

With many cable and DSL provider systems, the IP you get is already mapped out to the service area--the IP address is (in other words) mapped to the physical connection that leads to your house. Since that one line will only ever lead to your house, they don't bother to set up any system for dynamic IP's, since everybody has the ability to connect at the same time anyway (they aren't limited by the number of phone lines, like a dial-up ISP is).

And you usually can't do nuts to change the IP except move. Your computer's MAC address or any of your other computer hardware has got nothing to do with it.
~
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You change your IP address
-buy another ethernet card
-use command prompt " ipconfig /release "
-PULL THE POWER CORD OUT THE MODEM FAST SO THE MODEM WILL NOT TRY TO RECONNECT TO THE INTERNET
-wait a couple minutes or a hour...wait a hour or so is the best option
-switch the cards by taking out the cable connecting ethernet card #1 to the modem. Connect that cable to ethernet card #2 and the modem.  
-put the power cord back in to the modem.
-your IP address should be change

You can change your IP address again and again using those two ethernet cards and by following those step... I can't get another IP address without doing those steps because of the ISP for some reason.

you left out alot of steps in your so called fix.        you people amaze me

the cable co here.  when you setup your service only 1 mac address is registered to work if you replace that.(  install new nic, router, new modem)  you service will not work untill your reregister the new device .
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#11]
We used to give each customer and cable modem statically-assigned IP addresses, mainly because the boss then had bad experiences with DHCP's early days, and he got set in his ways.  It was a PAIN IN THE ASS.  Every time a customer joined or left, we'd have to assign/release their IPs and keep track of who had what IPs and how many they had.

Once that boss left, we switched to DHCP.  It's been heaven in comparison.  No need to set up static IPs on the customer's PC, no more worrying about IP conflicts because a customer was using the wrong IP, no more keeping track manually of who had what IPs assigned to them.  We just have a big pool of IPs and let the DHCP server do all the work.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
OK now wtf its back to normal use a proxy server was checked in options.

Hmmm... if you didn't change it you could have some spyware on your system that changed it for you.

Do you still have the IP that was entered for the proxy server?  If so, IM me and I'll trace the source for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top