Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2003 7:57:54 AM EDT
A spokesman for Mr Berlusconi said the prime minister had been telephoned recently by Col Gaddafi of Libya, who said: "I will do whatever the Americans want, because I saw what happened in Iraq, and I was afraid."

UN should fight for rights, says Berlusconi

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Boy, that must have the Democraps' panties in a wad.

Chalk up another positive for preemtive involvement in the M.E.

I've personally never understood the hesitance at impacting "stability" in that region.  They're stable already.  They consistently kill, export terrorism, and plot to take over the world.  If that's stability, I don't want it.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Nobody's picked up on it yet? There are no NBC warheads in Iraq. They were all shipped to Syria and Libya. That's why these people are "dismantling" their WMD programs...[b]They've already got some...Courtesy of Iraq!![/b]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#3]
In its simplest form, Gaddafi relented because Gore lost the election.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:09:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm so glad Bush is the president.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#5]
From the article -- Mr. Berlusconi said Europe needed to spend more on defence to participate fully with America in creating a new world order based on freedom and democracy.

The use of the term "new world order" always makes me cringe a little. In this case, I think his statements are more of a hint to the EU, i.e. participate or become (even more) irrelevant (just like the UN).

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Let's give a little credit to Mr. Berlusconi & our Italian allies, too.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Let's give a little credit to Mr. Berlusconi & our Italian allies, too.
View Quote

Roger that! Also, Spain has been pretty helpful.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:48:33 AM EDT
[#8]
WHY?

[b]"when ya got 'em by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow"[/b]....

Mike
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Boy, that must have the Democraps' panties in a wad.
View Quote

They'll simply deny/ignore it. They do that with facts, too, you know...
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Or......it could be because several battle tried U.S,Combat divisions are in his"nieghborhood"and could drive overand have him and his shithole of a country for lunch.He has a "bad"trackrecord when it comes to relations with the U.S.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
qaddhafi is afraid of getting his dose of vitamin b-52.
View Quote

No sh-t!  He already had a taste of what we were willing to do in 1986.  I think he did not want to move into a spider hole.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Its already paying off.

Did you guys see the story about how last week the head of Pakistans nuke program and two of his top scientists were brought in for "questioning". And Pakistan now thinks that its "possible" that they have been helping Iraq, Iran, Libya, and even North Korea build gas centrafuges and enrich uranium and plutonium.

There is apparently a whole network of men in several countries who have been dilligently working on building a "Islamic Bomb".
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm afraid that tapped into the terrorist movement like he is, he knows something big is in the works for the US and he doesn't want to be the next Iraq.

Tj
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#15]
He got two examples of what would happen if he challenged us in the air, when he lost 4 fighters due to Navy Tomcats. He knows what will happen if he challenges us in the sea, because the displacement theory can be observed when you plop one of those beastly carriers into the pond.[:D] And he knows what can happen on the ground, because a fellow asshat of his just got ousted by the most serious exhibition of force since Afganistan.

He KNOWS that we can beat his ass once again.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally posted by TomJefferson

I'm afraid that tapped into the terrorist movement like he is, he knows something big is in the works for the US and he doesn't want to be the next Iraq.
View Quote

Along the idea of my thinking (speculating) too. Perhaps Hussien and his lackeys have the goods on things going on in Libya that he fears may become more apparent after the the researchers/interrogators have a go at Hussien and it would be just a matter of time before a finger was pointed at Khaddafi. He was real quick to give it up after Hussein was captured.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#17]
see bush had the BALLS. when he wanted to take out saddam, A lot of countries cringed at him. U.N threw a fit, All I heard form people is that this is wrong. personally for good or bad he had the balls to stand up aganst this B.S.
then N Korea started there Bullshit, after they seen what had happen to Iraq how fast we distoyed them you just do not hear from them.

I think we had disrupted the "Network" so bad that Gaddafi is feeling the pressure.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#18]
"He said that while Italy might have had "many doubts" about the American intervention in Iraq, it came out in support when "we saw that America and Britain, our [red]traditional allies[/red]" were determined to proceed."

Traditional? Maybe, if you don't count that little tiff between 1940 and 1944.

CW
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nobody's picked up on it yet? There are no NBC warheads in Iraq. They were all shipped to Syria and Libya. That's why these people are "dismantling" their WMD programs...[b]They've already got some...Courtesy of Iraq!![/b]
View Quote

BINGO!!!

You sir, speak the truth. And that truth will be confirmed one of these days.

I am stoked about the US' victories in the world. However... we are winning battles, but the war is just starting. There are too many WMD's in the world in the hands of greedy individuals and entities who will sell them to any Islamic nutcase who can deliver the money. These militant Islamics are evil and insane. Think about how long the Palestinians have been taking a beating from the Isrealies, and yet they continue to defy and strap bombs to themselves. If anything, they are made worse by the beatings that they are subjected to. These people are not cowards like Saddam is. They are just nuts and WANT to die. It's DAMN hard to scare someone who wants to die. Bush has got it right by taking the war to them, but this is going to go on for a long time and we're going to get hit more -- possibly even harder than 9/11.

If I had the dough right now, I'd be buying gold like there was no tomorrow in preparation for what the stock market's gonna do after another hard hit on our own soil.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah Gold is nice but it doesn't do you any good at the corner market.  

My gut feel is that he either couldn't get his nukes done and saw they weren't going to get done.  Or he has some wmd completed and he's going to hide them away for fuure use.

In either case he's seeing the immediate near future handwriting on the wall and is getting in line for what he can wrangle out now.  He's going to go with the flow and survive.  There's a benefit to pragmatism.  You live to fight another day.  And if that day never comes well you still live.

Someday Bush will be gone and another age of Aquarius, sweetness and light will emerge and he and his ilk can come out and play again while the peaceniks wring their hands over what to do and try talking.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah Gold is nice but it doesn't do you any good at the corner market.  
View Quote

I could be wrong, but wasn't gold a good thing to have after the stock market crash? Gold is much better than cash after catastrophic world events. And as far as I am aware, the cash we spend every day is just about worthless. There is nothing to base it on. It's all IUO's, loans and such between banks, governments, and individuals.

You can't eat gold, so food, water, shelter, medicine, guns, etc are more important in times of strife. But gold is always worth something unless "the end" is near.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#22]
If you have arrived at a time when you are determining what currency you can or can't "eat", it will be ammunition that is the "gold".
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#23]
"Why did Gaddafi relent?" So he wouldn't have to take off his shades for the medical inspector.

CW
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Gaddafi is a lot of things but he's no idiot.  After his daughter was killed by American warplanes, he pulled his horns in big time.  He saw what happened to idiots like Saddam and the Taliban.  He knows this US President doesn't kid around.  Clinton was a joke to our enemies.  That hillbilly clown would lob a missle in an aspirin factory but that would be about it.  Gaddafi wants to survive.  He doesn't want to be pulled from a "spider hole" for the world to see...
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#25]
There is one and ONLY one reason why he is cooperating. MONEY! He has everything to gain to the tune of billions of dollars by cooperating. The sanctions have taken their toll and Libya is wanting to participate in a world economy. GW's balls have nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There is one and ONLY one reason why he is cooperating. MONEY! He has everything to gain to the tune of billions of dollars by cooperating. The sanctions have taken their toll and Libya is wanting to participate in a world economy. GW's balls have nothing to do with it.
View Quote

You are kidding right?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:44:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think that USA policy in Iraq is going to pay back his gains.
In the arab mentality there is nothing more proving of the seriousness and strength of an enemy when the enemy accept a death toll to achieve his goals. The fact that USA are remaining in Iraq despite US troops casualties is a clear sign for them that US administration is not weak or lead by cowards.

I can say everything about Arabs, but not that they don't understand determination and FORCE...

Another point, and I speak as Italian:

Berlusconi is behaving like an ass-clown very often, his gaffes sometimes are ridicolous and put in embarassment italian diplomacy. He also has a interest conflict being still the owner of the biggest private national TV media network and, at the same time as Prime Minister, he is the supreme leader of the State TV broadcast. But he is really admiring USA. If it was for the left wing parties Italy would left NATO long time ago... not to tell what all they said about US intervention in Iraq, comparing GW Bush to Adolf Hitler or UBL!!!

Now you have the frendliest Italian govt. for USA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top