Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2003 11:00:12 PM EDT
Any more Westerns made than what there are? It would seem to be cheaper to make them as opposed to "modern" movies with car chases & crashes & other such BS.

I would think that a Western with no-name actors would draw a lot better than some chick flick with the same.

Thoughts, anyone????????????
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:02:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Not PC enough? You know, real bad guys and good guys.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, the western has really faded away.  So has the musical (thank god for that).  But I didn't really like westerns anyway.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:15:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yeah, the western has really faded away.  So has the musical (thank god for that).  But I didn't really like westerns anyway.
View Quote

Not even The Duke?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:26:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Cause Sergio Leone is no longer with us and the Man with no Name is too old.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#6]
?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:57:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Cuz they weren't making enough money on them.  

Economics, trailing personal preference of Green light Guys at studios, is what makes movies.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 12:56:56 AM EDT
[#8]
There are no real places to make "cowboy" movies these days.
And besides, what kind of fun would it be to watch a PC'ized version of a Western.

2003 remake of West of the Divide
Ted Hayden in a story of [s]revenge[/s] *calling the sheriff to allow him to do his job*, Western style.
He returns to his family's ranch to find his father[s]'s[/s] [s]killer[/s] *having passed away in his sleep* and locate his missing brother, who turns out to be [s]one of the outlaws[/s] *misunderstood because of his sexual preferences*.

2003 remake of Rio Bravo
John T. Chance, his duty is to uphold the law, aided by a pair of [s]misfits[/s] *misunderstood angst torn men* - one [s]drunken[/s] a *recovering alcoholic* and one [s]lame[/s] *physically challanged* deputy.
A *wandering* cowboy [s]who is good with a gun[/s] *who has the ability to talk people out of confrontational situations*, joins forces with them in guarding an *alleged* prisoner from being taken from the jail. The love interest is in the form of a [s]young bar worker[/s] *transexual*, who pursues him throughout the picture.

Link Posted: 1/7/2003 1:01:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 1:07:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I actually saw something on this a few days ago while reading about a new western starring Tom Selleck.

Apparently Westerns are considered risky ventures by most studios, too hit or miss.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 1:09:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 1:18:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Could be, I just caught it in passing. And yes, I remember where now, I didn't read it, I was flipping through cable in the hotel room during a trip.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Am I the only one who likes the "Quick & the Dead" with Gene Hackman & Sharon Stone?

"I need a room."

"Whores are next door."

Love that sequence!!!!

What about the one with all the Carradine & Keach brothers that play the James Gang? There's a HELL of a knife fight in it with David Carradine, best fight scene ever, perhaps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top