Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2002 2:15:20 PM EDT
Ok...we all know the welfare system got started by FDR, who basically said allow my stuff to go through or I'll pack the Supreme Court.  Then FDR dies and for the last 60 years its gotten worse and worse...

How come the Supreme Court didn't do something after FDR died?  Or even much later down the line...they only have the best job security anyone could ever imagine.  And this applies to a whole lot more...guns, healthcare, welfare, etc...

I guess my question is why aren't they doing their job and saying you can't do this or we have to do away with this since its unconstitutional?

Probably stupid question I guess...won't pretend to say I am the most knowledgable in government and stuff.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Its the liberals [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, ECS is right.  It IS the liberals.  They make up a significant voting body in this country.  One of my favorite quotes is this one:

"It stands to reason that self-righteous, inflexible, single-minded, authoritarian true believers are politically organized. Open-minded, flexible, complex, ambiguous, anti-authoritarian people would just as soon be left to mind their own fucking business." -- R.U. Sirius in 'How To Mutate and Take Over The World'
View Quote

And liberals end up on the bench as well.

To be honest, I am ambivalent about "judicial activism."  I complain about the [i]Dred Scott[/i] decision, but [i]given all the law and precedent up to that time[/i] the Court could not have ruled any other way [i]except by judicial activism[/i].  (I still hold the [i]Cruikshank[/i] Court in deepest contempt, though.)

I think the Burger Court in [i]Brown v Board of Education[/i] was [i]right[/i] - "separate but equal" wasn't.  But that did not give the court the power to demand bussing.  However, had they not forced the issue, it would have been decades before anything changed.

Liberals:  Can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top