Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2010 1:42:05 PM EDT

I’d like to get an infrared laser or illuminator combo for my rifle. I know people can make them cheaply themselves, but why are there none equally as cheap on the market?
Also does anyone know where I could read the regulations about infrared lasers? I think I once heard you had to have a momentary switch and that constant on was not allowed?

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#1]

IR lasers are expensive because you need to get them second hand from LEOs unless you're .mil.

The FDA thinks we'll shoot our eyes out with them.

IR illuminators are readily available.

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I know the gov doesn't really want us civilians to have good night vision and infrared lasers for our guns, but if you have the cash you can get them, hell with enough cash you can anything
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Tag

I'm pretty sure I could make my own laser and illuminator combo for cheap. I've wondered if I would have anyone knock on my door if I started putting them on ebay or somewhere.

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
IR lasers are expensive because you need to get them second hand from LEOs unless you're .mil.

The FDA thinks we'll shoot our eyes out with them.

IR illuminators are readily available.

If your an LEO or .MIL they are still expensive. Its not like an LEO is making a profit on a used lazer. The manufactures have you by the short and curlies. thats what it comes down to.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:45:15 AM EDT
[#5]
In many states those would likely fall under the OLD OLD laws about the original IR sniper scopes.  So why bother trying to get the laws changed for a small market.  Some things aren't meant to be.  Now if you were to start making them, not only could you sell a bunch, but you would get an almost infinite number of threads on how you were charging ridiculous prices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top