Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2015 8:18:07 PM EDT
More than pump or single barrel shotguns?

Are they that complicated to build?

How about double hammer SxS?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Point of impact.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Point of impact.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I did not see a SxS in that movie.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Well there's the cost of the extra barrel and trigger/lockwork required to use both.

Then you also need to regulate both to hit same POA with the same shot stack. (50/50, 60/40 etc)

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#5]
why would this be any different than an O\U.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#6]
And then you get to wonder why over/unders are so much more than side-by-sides....
I have pumps, side-by-side, and over/under shotguns - I don't have a semi-auto shotfun (suppose I should remedy that)....

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Side by sides, both rifles and shotguns, are difficult to regulate properly
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#8]
The good ones are usually built really well, they can't just be slapped together like a pump.

There is also some prestige involved when you buy a well made upland gun, so I am sure that is in the price as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

And then you get to wonder why over/unders are so much more than side-by-sides....I have pumps, side-by-side, and over/under shotguns - I don't have a semi-auto shotfun (suppose I should remedy that)....

View Quote
Mossy 930s run good, and dont break the bank. I paid 500 for mine, I have a total of 650 wrapped up in the gun with a coat of rustoliem and a PA micro.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#10]
More time/hand work required to regulate the barrels to hit the same area.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#11]
It's two guns in one!
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Are they that complicated to build?
View Quote

Yes, of course they are.    This should be obvious after thinking about them for about 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And then you get to wonder why over/unders are so much more than side-by-sides....I have pumps, side-by-side, and over/under shotguns - I don't have a semi-auto shotfun (suppose I should remedy that)....

View Quote

It depends on the O/U and the side by side.  

Purdeys ain't cheap.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Most of the newer SxS and O/U use one trigger and a safety that lets you select which barrel you want to shoot first making it a more complicated mechanism than a pump or semi auto.  Getting the double barrels to align properly and shoot properly is more difficult as well as opposed to a single barrel.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
why would this be any different than an O\U.
View Quote

Over/under barrels are parallel.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They are easy to build.  They are extremely difficult to build correctly.  Lots of hand work needed to get those two barrels shooting to the same place.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I just picked up an old Sears 20" 12 gauge double.

Frankly, it's just fun to shoot, especially with 00 buck.

Good gun to have around.  You can bust some ass with 36 .32 caliber pellets.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#18]
You're no Daisy
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Biden told me they were the optimum self defense weapon for everyman.  Are you telling me they are priced for the 1%?

Those greedy corporations.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Indexing of barrels and the lock and trigger mechanism that is a complex mechanism that must be built by skilled hands if it is going to last 50,000-100,000+ rounds is no easy task.

Cheap and quality  are two words you won't see together when describing SXS/O/U.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#21]
This is a great video of one of the nicest bespoke manufacturing facilities in the world.  They make their own screws. Skip to 10:30'ish where he starts regulating barrels.  Its a sxs rifle, but similar principle.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This is a great video of one of the nicest bespoke manufacturing facilities in the world.  They make their own screws. Skip to 10:30'ish where he starts regulating barrels.  Its a sxs rifle, but similar principle.

http://youtu.be/qUXoNUzAyvk
View Quote

I love seeing that video! I was going to post it had you not.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Because, unlike Glocks, they exude style.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a Rossi Overland just like the one in this video.  It is early 70's vintage, and has very little use.  I took it out a couple weeks ago and put some #8 through it, good fun.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Not all that expensive.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/37_956/Stoeger/

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:12:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
Beretta A400. Do it. I know you have similar tastes in guns as I do, and it's hands down my favorite semi-auto.

As to answer the OPs question, look at Stoeger shotguns. They're cheap. The reason most O/U and SxS shotguns are expensive is the craftsmanship. The people buying shotguns in that market are looking for quality.

Shoot one and find out for yourself.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Mossy 930s run good, and dont break the bank. I paid 500 for mine, I have a total of 650 wrapped up in the gun with a coat of rustoliem and a PA micro.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't shot trap in a long time, but I can probably still shoot a 21 to 23 out of 25 if I had my old O/U upland gun, or Beretta A400.

Give me that Mossberg and I'd be lucky to get 18.

I see a lot of the "Herp but Mossberg" and "Derp my 870" on here. When you really get into shotguns be it trap, skeet, sporting clays, or hunting it matters.

I have talked my friends into better semi autos. SX3s and a Montefeltro. I then cast and dropped the stock to fit them. Guess what - I don't outshoot them too often anymore.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:29:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Not all that expensive.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/37_956/Stoeger/
View Quote

Wow. $449 for the coach gun. They've gone up a lot. I paid $297 for mine just a few years ago.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top