Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/29/2005 2:56:15 PM EDT
I went to the local walmart a few days ago and noticed four dirty fat kids mother paying with foodstamps (each one was fatter than the next). Then I started to think about every dirty fat kid I can remember seeing, and wondered if these people are so poor how the hell do they feed their kids so much. Meanwhile we live comfortably and my kids are healthy-skinny. My kids should be fat, they eat me out of house and home, always seem to be snacking on something, and my grocery bill is enough to lease a Hummer every 2 weeks. I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Because god hates them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Because their parents are lazy and stupid.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#4]
It's what the buy and the example the parents set.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#5]
America: the land where the fattest people are the poorest and vice versa.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Why are poor kids fat?

Probably the same reasons rich kids and middle class kids are fat.
Lazy, poor diet, lazy, ignorant parents, lazy and a dozen other reasons.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#7]
They're fat because they buy junk food and eat fast food on a daily basis.  Also they sit at home and watch TV rather than exercising or being productive.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Why are poor kids fat?  Hmmmm.....dunno, how bout thier parents save all thier hard earned welfare dollars to get Johnny Cockring to sue McDonalds for getting them that way?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#9]
They'll never be so poor they can't gorge themselves because you and I keep paying them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife did some research on this phenomenon in DC. Studies showed that it's cheaper to eat junk food, so that's what poor people do. Vegetables are expensive and don't fill you up the way a bunch of twinkies do. Also, for inner city people in DC, vegetables are hard to get to, especially if you don't have a car, or money for public transportation, so they go to the local corner store and get junk food, or McDonalds. McDonalds plays a big part in it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Its all about their diet
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Why are poor kids fat?

you forgot lazy
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Unintelligent Design
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#14]
High carb, high fat diet. Beans, the cheapest ground beef, etc. No veggies, fruit, etc.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I can't believe that no one has stated the obvious - "Its all Bush's Fault!"
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#16]
junk food is significantly cheaper than good food.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Depends on the kids.  I'm poor and my kids aren't fat.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I wish I could gain weight..................... Maybe I should get food stamps!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Could be you don't let them live on Mac & Cheese.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Potato chips
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I disagree.

Buying the basics is actually quite cheap...but it takes time and effort to prepare.

I could feed a family of 4 a healthy meal for less then $10.00, buying basic raw ingrediants. But it takes time and EFFORT to prepare food from scratch.

Its much easier to drive through McDonalds.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I wish I could gain weight..................... Maybe I should get food stamps!

I used to feel that way. Not anymore.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could be you don't let them live on Mac & Cheese.  

Could be!  We live off of a lot of elk and venison! Patty
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Why are poor kids fat?

To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a fat rich kid.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#25]
poor kids are fat because their parents. I'll bet when your kids get allowance they go buy a toy or something, right? Poor kids get foodstamps for allowance which really limits their choices.

In all seriousness, you probably aren't poor because you have ambition and get off your ass to support your family and your kids see this and get off their asses to go do something too. The fat kids probably have lazy parents that sit around and watch TV and eat, so they do the same. Kids usually think their parents are the greatest and want to be like them. As long as you lead by example and keep them active, go out and play football with them or something until they are old enough for a league they should be in good shape.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Ever been to "Old Country Buffet"?

Myself and the GF might go there 3-4 times a year (and belive me it ain't because it's all you can eat or because it's the best food on the planet).

FWIW, when we do go it's because it's a quick in and out.

Both of us are easily near the bottom rung in the weight division compared to 95% of the people there (and that includes the kids).

We go to restaurants maybe 3-4 times a month, and OCB easily has the biggest gathering of morbidly obese people I have ever seen. It's bad enough seeing adults like that, but 8-10-12 year old kids that look like prime candidates for a heart attack just isn't right.

I think the time it really sank in was when I watched some 10 year old kid with a serious weight problem, load up his plate with mashed potatoes and about a quart of gravy.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Because god hates them.

It's because he blessed them with a "glandular" thing.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree.

Buying the basics is actually quite cheap...but it takes time and effort to prepare.

I could feed a family of 4 a healthy meal for less then $10.00, buying basic raw ingrediants. But it takes time and EFFORT to prepare food from scratch.

+1

Eating healthy requires WORK.  And as long as the .gov gives away money, they will fat up at McDonalds or the corner stop and rob.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Because they are LAZY.  

There IS a correlation between them being poor and fat--it's called laziness.  

Too lazy to exercise, too lazy to prepare healthy meals (it does NOT cost more to prepare a quality meal than to eat McDonalds--the libs have brainwashed everyone into believing that crap), and too lazy to work hard to get a leg up in life.  They buy into the bullshit they have been fed all of their lives that they are being held down by the "the man", can't make on their own, and that no amount of hard work will help them succeed in a world of "haves" v. "have-nots."  

It's all bullshit as always.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree.

Really?? What if you have ten dollars to go five meals for four people???????????
Having 10 bucks to spend on a meal for four people isn't poor. It is budgeting.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Because cheap food or lazy food (McDee's) is bad for you.

Actually, there are some cheap foods that ARE healthy for you.  chicken and rice with veggies, etc...  except making food like that takes effort.  So much easier to load the kids up on tv dinners and chicken mcnuggets.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a fat rich kid.

Come to California!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you are missing the point here. People who are POOR don't have money for McD's or anywhere else.

Food stamps for a family of four [yes I worked for the county for a short stint], in Ca is less than 300.00 per month. For a family of four, they recieve 657.00 to 752.00 a month in aide. With rent, utilities [if they have them] there is no way they can afford any fast food or fruits and vegies on top of protiens. They could afford things like rice, beans and mac n cheese. If they were lucky and budgeted right, we could teach them to usually get the meats or chickens in there, but overall,...fats are cheaper.
I believe you are looking at people who use the system and are NOT poor. they are druggies who don't give a hang about themselves or their children and use their drug money to buy more booze and drugs.
They teach their kids nothing but how to use the system and other people.
We did have cases where families were truly poor. Some were mal-nourished but still fat. Some were so thin you could hug them and they crunched.
I think we need to step back and seperate lazy ass druggies and users from poor.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Most of you guys are correct. Its a combination of low exercise with high fat, high carb diet.  When they are adults they smoke and drink and take drugs.  Its a self perpetuating cycle.  

Look at starving african kids on TV.  Their bellies swell due to malnutrition and they end up looking like guppies.  Part of it has to do with the diet they are given to survive.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree.

Really?? What if you have ten dollars to go five meals for four people???????????

I don't think you understood the point of my post.

I was suggesting that it is more expensive to be lazy, and buy pre packaged, or fast food which is higher in fat and calories.

Back at you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree.

You can't feed 4 people on $10 at a fast food joint.  

But I can take rice, beans, broccali, and some chicken, and have a damn fine meal for ~$10 that would feed four people--and it would be healthy too.  

But it means no soda-pop, no bread and butter, no chips, and no dessert.  

It would also take a little bit of effort to make and commitment to eating properly within the budget.  

Too many people are too into having their taste buds made happy rather than eating properly within the budget.  It's due to a lack of impulse control--part of what leads to the behavior which makes them fat in the first place--and it's also sheer LAZINESS.  

Part of the mentality that I should be handed everything without having to work for it.  They can't even wait for a proper meal--what makes anyone think they will wait for four years for college in return for higher wages, etc.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#36]
We have fat poor kids because we never sterilized their parents.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I don't think you understood the point of my post.

I was suggesting that it is more expensive to be lazy, and buy pre packaged, or fast food which is higher in fat and calories.

Back at you.

I am not disagreeing with you. But some of us have to realize that no matter what the truly poor buys, they won't have enough.
Example we gave when I worked for the county....
You can buy twenty packages top ramen, or 10 boxes of mac n cheese, or one gallon milk.
What makes the most meals?
Truly poor people aren't lazy. they are just ....poor.
Many are poor due to circumstances that they can't control. Some are poor due to lost jobs and need help in the interim. Some are just lazy who use the system. With the latter, yes I agree.

We are on a budget. And I fully concur that making my own bread is cheaper than buying. But i can not say the same for mac n cheese, casseroles, etc... By the time you buy all the ingredients, You have made one meal, perhaps two. That money, for the truly poor in question, could go to at least four lunches of the same type that are boxed with much more fat in them.
It is a sad situation for some. And for others,...just plain sick the way they let the kids grow up.

Never met you to take offense. Just trying to make my point.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Because they come from families that are under-achievers and tend to sit around and watch other people do stuff

and sitting around makes you fat.

especially sitting around eating junk food
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Its just too much pasta. Cheap and easy combined with a sedentary lifestyle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Its all about their diet

Thank you Captian Obvious.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
You can't feed 4 people on $10 at a fast food joint.

Sure you can. Ever been to Mcdonalds on Wednesdays ? $.29 hamburgers and $.39 cheeseburgers That is roughly 34 hamburgers (8840 calories) or 26 cheeseburgers (8060 calories). I hope that would feed a family of four, we used to take turns buying them for everybody at work one day a week. There were always a bunch of fatbodies in there shoveling them in one after another. Dominos two X tuesday, two large pizzas and about 6000 calories for $9.99. Wendy's $1.00 value menu, Jr. bacon cheeseburger x 10 = almost 4000 calories. It could still be done
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Food stamps buy a lotta mac-n-cheese and canny-bars. [<|:d>]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You do realize that you could buy 10 double cheese burgers from McDonalds for the same money and the same family could eat for two days?! I've been there. Top ramen for two meals a day for a couple of months at a time can take a toll.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Get'em all hooked on meth, that's one diet where food is no concern.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Because they aren't truly poor.

Poor is what my dad went through when the next meal was questionable.
If you have a roof over your head and enough food to be fat, you aren't poor.

EXACTLY !!!
Being "poor" today is nothing like true poverty.
That coupled with the fact that kids don't work in the fields or really have chores before and after school and they don't play outside.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Plus poor people usually have to eat fast food/prepared food anyway and cannot cook at home. Have you ever seen how dirty and disgusting their kitchens are ?   j/k
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Get'em all hooked on meth, that's one diet where food is no concern.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Because calories are cheap. It's not complicated.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#50]
This is an absolutely great article that briefly addresses this very question in the larger venue of out diet as a society. My endocrine instructor pointed it out to me, and it had a huge impact on how I eat.

www.harvard-magazine.com/on-line/050465.html

A recent paper in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition argued that the poor tend toward greater obesity because eating energy-dense, highly palatable, refined foods is cheaper per calorie consumed than buying fish and fresh fruits and vegetables. At the Oldways conference, Foreyt noted that 80 percent of African-American females are overweight, and that Hispanic women were the second-heaviest group. "The last to fatten will be rich white women," he observed.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top