Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/22/2008 1:15:07 PM EST
The minute someone mentions compassion, love, empathy, etc. they get jumped all over by the internet tough guy squad for being emotional.

Are you guys robots or vulcans?

I for one am a human and the way I understand it God gave me the capacity for both logic and emotion so that I could temper my decisions with both. Emotions are one of the higher functions in human beings that separate us from the lower species aren't they? Then why would you condemn something as "emotional"?

Now, I don't feel that we should be ruled by our emotions, or view things strictly on an emotional level, but so many of you tend to act like any show of emotion, or any indication of emotion in your though process is some sort of failure or weakness.

You guys sure can be a pretty tough, well disciplined bunch. I'll tell ya what!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:17:13 PM EST
are you asking because of this?

Originally Posted By motown_steve:

Originally Posted By GonzoAR15-1:

Originally Posted By 57Strat:
Guys...please dispense with the "bitch" and "hooker" comments. This is my step daughter we're talking about.

You're a hair's breadth away from completely and permanently disassociating yourself from her and her mother over a dog. Do you really mean to tell us that you find comments from anonymous posters on the internet offensive?

I'm not condemning you or ridiculing you, I'm just trying to get you to take a look at who you are and what you're really saying. I am not judging you. You are who you are. Don't take it as ridicule please, but quit trying to fool yourself.

I cannot believe that you are unable to see that the dog is a huge indicator for whether she will abide by any other reasonable requests that come with living in her mother and step-father's house.

As a dog owner, I see it as a personal insult and a completely unreasonable request.

So you're acting on emotion. Got it.

I don't have the time to respond to all of your inane horseshit, but I will say this much:

I am a human being. Human beings have emotions. God gave them to us so that we could temper our decisions with things like compassion and empathy. To deny emotions or ridicule someone else for tempering their decisions with emotion is foolish and dishonest. If you like to pretend that you are a Vulcan then have at it. Get yourself a nice set of Spock ears and be as nutty as you like. I on the other hand will choose to embrace all sides of the personality that God gave me and use logic tempered with appropriate emotion when necessary. It's led me to having a pretty happy and successful life up until now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:18:45 PM EST
Shit that was hilarious
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:19:29 PM EST
It's not ridiculing emotions, it's a passive aggressive insult.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:19:51 PM EST
Pussy

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:19:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 1:21:09 PM EST by motown_steve]

Originally Posted By Saur:
are you asking because of this?

Originally Posted By 57Strat:
Guys...please dispense with the "bitch" and "hooker" comments. This is my step daughter we're talking about.

You're a hair's breadth away from completely and permanently disassociating yourself from her and her mother over a dog. Do you really mean to tell us that you find comments from anonymous posters on the internet offensive?

I'm not condemning you or ridiculing you, I'm just trying to get you to take a look at who you are and what you're really saying. I am not judging you. You are who you are. Don't take it as ridicule please, but quit trying to fool yourself.

I cannot believe that you are unable to see that the dog is a huge indicator for whether she will abide by any other reasonable requests that come with living in her mother and step-father's house.

As a dog owner, I see it as a personal insult and a completely unreasonable request.

So you're acting on emotion. Got it.

I don't have the time to respond to all of your inane horseshit, but I will say this much:

I am a human being. Human beings have emotions. God gave them to us so that we could temper our decisions with things like compassion and empathy. To deny emotions or ridicule someone else for tempering their decisions with emotion is foolish and dishonest. If you like to pretend that you are a Vulcan then have at it. Get yourself a nice set of Spock ears and be as nutty as you like. I on the other hand will choose to embrace all sides of the personality that God gave me and use logic tempered with appropriate emotion when necessary. It's led me to having a pretty happy and successful life up until now.

Partly, but it's a recurrent theme. People are constantly ridiculing things as being "emotional" on this board.

Oh, and don't think you burned me on anything either. I dealt with that post in that thread. I wanted to get a separate discussion going here on the topic because it is a larger issue that I think deserves it's own discussion.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:21:16 PM EST
Emotions are a waste of time and resources.
Leave the squaws with the emotions
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:21:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By passive:
Shit that was hilarious

What was hilarious?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:21:45 PM EST
Because most people here are incapable of having a genuine relationship with anyone, especially women.
They have been raised on the myth of men as emotionless, un-fashionable, un-cultured he-men who don't feel fear, pain, or sadness, not realizing that by shutting off their emotions, it makes them that much more likely to break down during a stressful situation.
The only acceptable emotion to some here is anger and sexual arousal via firearms.
Unless you are a sociopath (we do have some members here that border on it) you feel emotions.
Embrace them, accept that you have them, and you will have far greater control over yourself and your actions.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:22:11 PM EST

Partly, but it's a recurrent theme. People are constantly ridiculing things as being "emotional" on this board.

Oh, and don't think you burned me on anything either. I dealt with that post in that thread. I wanted to get a separate discussion going here on the topic.

Sorry, did I come off as hostile? I was just wonderin' if ya got heated cuz of it cuz the other guy already apologized.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:23:24 PM EST
emotions cloud sound reason and judgment.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:23:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By Saur:

Oh, and don't think you burned me on anything either. I dealt with that post in that thread. I wanted to get a separate discussion going here on the topic.

Sorry, did I come off as hostile? I was just wonderin' if ya got heated cuz of it cuz the other guy already apologized.

I view everything as hostile until I have subdued it!

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:23:52 PM EST
Emotion is incompatible with reason and logic.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:25:41 PM EST
I'm a cold fuck. I don't like the outcome when I let my heart dictate my actions, so I don't let it happen. Thats not to say I have no compassion, because I do, I'm just very, very careful about when and where I allow that to be applied.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:26:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By badfish274:

True reason and logic are used in conjunction with emotion, Mr. Spock.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:26:23 PM EST
Is apathy an emotion?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:27:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:
Because most people here are incapable of having a genuine relationship with anyone, especially women.
They have been raised on the myth of men as emotionless, un-fashionable, un-cultured he-men who don't feel fear, pain, or sadness, not realizing that by shutting off their emotions, it makes them that much more likely to break down during a stressful situation.
The only acceptable emotion to some here is anger and sexual arousal via firearms.
Unless you are a sociopath (we do have some members here that border on it) you feel emotions.
Embrace them, accept that you have them, and you will have far greater control over yourself and your actions.

You know, he has a point here.

Everybody feels, but many feel that showing emotion is a weakness or vulnerability.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:27:58 PM EST

First, let me preface this by acknowledging I took a cheap shot or 10 at Steve in the other thread and I apologized to him in that thread for that.

Now, as to the post above:

Doc:

Do you agree, sir, that one must check emotions at times?

Example: The police lose a brother to a shitbag in a cop shooting. Emotions are high and they want to stomp the bad guy to jelly.

Should they act on those emotions, consequences be damned, or should they use their wits and abide by the commitment to the social contract they swore their oaths to, so as to ensure the shit bag gets into custody, charged, and tried?

I don't have any problem with emotions, but if you make your decisions based on knee jerk emotional reactions without due consideration of consequences, alternatives and the like, it just doesn't work.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:28:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 1:30:30 PM EST by GT86]
We constantly have to make decisions in life, and we have a choice how we make them. Problem with emotions is that they tend to cloud our judgment, and cause us to make poor decisions. While we can't entirely shut our emotions off, we do need to keep them in check. The world is a cold, hard place whether we like it or not. To deal with life effectively, we need to at times be able to make cold, hard decisions.

As you pointed out, emotions are also a part of life. They enable us to actually enjoy life when the opportunity presents itself. There are times when logic must be tossed aside, and a decision or action is based on emotion.

The issue most people have is that they don't have the proper balance between the two.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:28:41 PM EST
I don't have any problem with emotions. I fully admit I cried like a 39+ yr old baby when I put my 11 yr old golden retriever(Major) down 4 months ago.

Nobody ridiculed me when I posted about it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:29:59 PM EST

Shut your face, hippy!

I keed, I keed

Just don't take it too far with that emotional crap.

Remember, it takes a big man to cry, but an even bigger man to laugh at him.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:30:03 PM EST

Emotion is the salt to be used sparingly in a diet composed of heaping helpings of emotion and logic, Mr. Paine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:30:39 PM EST
I cried when I had to put my dog down, but not when I got divorced.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:31:03 PM EST
There is no emotion, there is peace.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:31:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By tep0583:

Everybody feels, but many feel that showing emotion is a weakness or vulnerability.

Theres a time and place.
A show of emotion at the wrong time can indeed make you weak or vulnerable.
People play on, and manipulate emotions.

Its better to be calm, cool, and collected, than an emotional wreck.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:31:10 PM EST

I show emotion all the time.

But when its decision-making time, emotion takes a backseat.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:31:37 PM EST

First, let me preface this by acknowledging I took a cheap shot or 10 at Steve in the other thread and I apologized to him in that thread for that.

Now, as to the post above:

Doc:

Do you agree, sir, that one must check emotions at times?

Example: The police lose a brother to a shitbag in a cop shooting. Emotions are high and they want to stomp the bad guy to jelly.

Should they act on those emotions, consequences be damned, or should they use their wits and abide by the commitment to the social contract they swore their oaths to, so as to ensure the shit bag gets into custody, charged, and tried?

I don't have any problem with emotions, but if you make your decisions based on knee jerk emotional reactions without due consideration of consequences, alternatives and the like, it just doesn't work.

Exactly my point!
If you know your emotions, know you have them, and embrace them, you have more control over them.
That is just what I have found works for me.
By not attempting to be emotionless, I find that I can exercise a greater degree of control over my emotions (and thus my actions) when faced with a stressful situation.
Then again, I am somewhat hypocritical, because I am far more detached in my professional life, when compared to my personal life.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:32:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By GT86:
We constantly have to make decisions in life, and we have a choice how we make them. Problem with emotions is that they tend to cloud our judgment, and cause us to make poor decisions. While we can't entirely shut our emotions off, we do need to keep them in check. The world is a cold, hard place whether we like it or not. To deal with life effectively, we need to at times be able to make cold, hard decisions.

As you pointed out, emotions are also a part of life. They enable us to actually enjoy life when the opportunity presents itself. There are times when logic must be tossed aside, and a decision or action is based on emotion.

The issue most people have is that they don't have the proper balance between the two.

Great post!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:35:37 PM EST

The problem steve, is that we are constantly inundated with bad ideas that spring from emotion. No one is saying to eschew emotions, I am probably one of the more emotional men that I know. However I am capable of rational thought even in the midst of high emotion.

Currently emotion is darn near driving everything. I can not tell you how tired of hearing "I feel" as an excuse for poor decision making and a way to avoid consequences. It is childish and has the potential to doom us as a society. Look at all of the "feel good" legislation that has been enacted of late, more welfare, environmental laws, hell the damn polar bears on the endangered species act.

They are all driven by manipulated emotion. Global warming is a feeling not a science, the earth has been cooling since '98 yet all I hear day in and day out in my industry is "green this" and "low carbon that"; it is an emotional hysteria that has the potential to undermine the economic security of this nation.

I don't think, beyond the 13 year old he-men in their mom's basement, that anyone is saying that emotion is a liability, but the ability to make rational decisions in the face of emotion is what makes an adult.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:35:47 PM EST

By not attempting to be emotionless, I find that I can exercise a greater degree of control over my emotions (and thus my actions) when faced with a stressful situation.
Then again, I am somewhat hypocritical, because I am far more detached in my professional life, when compared to my personal life.

Your personal life needs to be stress free, then you can relax, which allows you a much better balance between your professional life and your personal life.

I have very little tolerance for stress/drama in my personal life.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:45:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By eodtech2000:

Is that from KOTOR, I can't remember
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:46:10 PM EST
It's not emotion that I have a hard time with.

It's the poor, pitiful, lonely individuals who get their validation, sense of community and understanding from a website.

Make some offline friends. Baring your soul online is pathetic.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:49:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By THR-Thumper:
It's not emotion that I have a hard time with.

It's the poor, pitiful, lonely individuals who get their validation, sense of community and understanding from a website.

Make some offline friends. Baring your soul online is pathetic.

All of my offline friends are from AR15.com though!

Just about.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:53:04 PM EST
I'm not particularly interested in your FEEWINGs, I want to know what you THINK. Some people can't differentiate between the two.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:54:07 PM EST
One reason our culture has been so succesful was our tendency to solve problems using reason, rather than relying upon emotion. Areas of the world where emotions rule tend to be crappy.

Of course, everyone has emotions, and they have their place.

As an example, in a war the emotions involving the American flag, patrotism, etc., can carry you the extra distance, but the battle plan should be based upon sound reason, and the weapons should also be designed using reason.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:54:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 1:55:33 PM EST by Frost7]

Are you guys robots or vulcans?

Live long, and prosper.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:59:52 PM EST

I factor my emotions into decision-making, but I make an effort to overrule them if they're steering me towards the edge of a cliff.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:00:45 PM EST

I'm not advocating emotion in the decision-making process.

However, many of the "many-men" here act as though normal emotion is some sort of disease or affliction of the "weak".

That's utter nonsense. I know a little about turning it off and going numb, but that shit has a limit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:02:00 PM EST
Tears fog up the scope.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:03:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By Lon_Moer:
I cried when I had to put my dog down, but not when I got divorced.

Neither did I, but, but that point I was wanting to get rid of that crazy bitch BAD.

I was also pretty much emotionally exhausted and and, in retrospect, a real mess for a couple years afterward. I didn't deal with a LOT of shit I needed to deal with.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:03:40 PM EST

Originally Posted By tommyrich:

Originally Posted By eodtech2000:

Is that from KOTOR, I can't remember

Yes.

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:06:01 PM EST

I'm not advocating emotion in the decision-making process.

However, many of the "many-men" here act as though normal emotion is some sort of disease or affliction of the "weak".

That's utter nonsense. I know a little about turning it off and going numb, but that shit has a limit.

I never said, and don't believe, that one should be an un-feeling, un-caring automaton. But recognizing when emotion is clouding your decision-making process is essential to coming to the correct conclusion.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:06:48 PM EST

Bah, bunch of emotional BS.

If I was 57Stat I would have killed and eat the dog, sold the child into slavery, and kept the daughter as a concubine.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:12:13 PM EST
stop it just stop it you guys are gonna make me cry already. just stop it

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:13:22 PM EST

Exactly my point!
If you know your emotions, know you have them, and embrace them, you have more control over them.

You are like 15, right?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:22:37 PM EST
"LEAVE MY EMOTIONS ALONE !!!!!......."

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:27:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 2:27:47 PM EST by Boom_Stick]
Nothing wrong with emotions. Acting on them w/o thinking or letting emotions rule your decisions is the problem.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:28:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By DonS:

Exactly my point!

You are like 15, right?

I am 35 and I agree with him. Your point?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:29:34 PM EST
is it that time of the month again

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:29:39 PM EST

Uh... no they aren't. In my experience, people only say that when they want to ignore logic and do what they felt like doing in the first place.

There's nothing wrong with emotions. We all experience them. Just don't be a pussy and let them control you. Yeah, we all let that happen sometimes. Comes from being human.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:30:07 PM EST
We are a stoic, logical group around here. Or at least, we'd like to think so.

In the words of Tony Soprano, we are like "Gary Cooper: the strong, silent type." As conservative men, we mostly believe that it is not prudent to act upon how we feel, but rather upon what is logically the best course of action.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top