Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2005 2:54:23 PM EDT
From www.windsofchange.net/

Soldiers from Italy, the United States, Spain, Ghana, Senegal, Guinea, and Morocco are participating in West African Training Cruise 2006, an exercise designed to "enhance security cooperation and foster new partnerships between the United States, NATO partners and participating West African nations through real-world training and engagement opportunities."

Exercise Green Osprey is being held in the west African country of Senegal, and includes soldiers from the United States, Spain, Italy, U.K., Norway, the Netherlands and Senegal. Troops involved will "conduct small-boat training, riverine operations, live-fire exercises and amphibious raids."

A select team of U.S. combat advisors has deployed to Niger, an important ally in the war on terrorism, in an effort to assist Niger's fledgling Air Force and improve cooperation.

A U.S. Navy explosive ordance disposal team concluded training with a Kenyan Navy Clearance Diving Unit, on improvised explosive devices

Is this a routine level of involvement in Sub-Saharan Africa that just hasnt been public before thats just coming to light due to the internet and the obsession of military fanboys around the world?

Or does it have to do with this?

Interesting note on al-Qaeda in Nigeria
by Dan Darling on October 4, 2005 07:42 AM

How big is the al-Qaeda presence in Nigeria?

The short answer is that no one outside of government really knows, though I suspect that the French have a better idea than anybody else because of their extensive intelligence presence in West Africa. As with regard to al-Qaeda in the Sahel region, relatively little work in English has been done on the subject.

This short story, however, gives us some idea as to what they might be trying to achieve:

According to the source, he was being suspected of backing terrorism and - based on intelligence reports forwarded to the British by the Nigerian authorities - of smuggling arms.

That was why the British police made the arrest with 25 police vehicles, cordoning off the British Airways plane as it touched down in London. The police searched all his suitcases, looking for the arms.

It was learnt that the Nigerian authorities had told the London police that Alamieyeseigha is not just a major sponsor of terrorism he enjoys close links with Osama Bin Laden’s Al-Qaeda.

This was the connection Abuja reportedly made between his arrest and that of South South resource control activist, Asari Dokubo, who was incarcerated soon after the governor’s travail began.

The source explained that since no arms were found on Alamieyeseigha, the Federal Government had to justify its terrorism allegation against him by arresting Dokubo who allegedly once said Osama bin Laden is his hero.

The London police had reportedly been told that the governor and his "terrorist cell" had perfected plans to destablise Nigeria by ensuring that it is not governable and by making conditions impossible for oil production in the Niger Delta - thus threatening world supply.

Dokubo’s conversion to Islam and his religious title of "Alhaji" makes him fit the Islamic terrorist bill. But those conversant with Rivers State politics have said again and again that Dokubo’s gang was sponsored by an unnamed governor for strong arm tactics during past elections.

He came to national limelight when he fought a rival militia in gangland style, which nearly exposed the governor.

I view some of this with a good deal of skepticism, as Dokubo's political views do not necessarily mean that he's a terrorist. The al-Hajji thing is just wierd, as all that means is that he's undertaken the Hajj, one of the requirements of the Five Pillars of Islam. Then there is also the near-legendary penchant for corruption among the Nigerian authorities that needs to be factored in here, as this could certainly be politically motivated.

All the same, the issue is worth looking into and Nigeria is not a trivial part of the world - a major attack there could cause serious problems for world oil supply.

On a related note, I see Charles Taylor, who enjoys political asylum in Nigeria is still up to no good and plotting his return to power.

« ok, I'm done now

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Cause China And Russia are doing the same thing in China and we want to be ready for when we have to fight those assholes.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Because we are in 4th generation war. Africa is swarming with Al Queda and we'll fight them there. Training to gain intelligence and increase the ability to kill terrorists in Africa where the terrorists train and are at, is a good thing. Because at some point, I'd bet we'll be in a war there.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Because we are in 4th generation war. Africa is swarming with Al Queda and we'll fight them there. Training to gain intelligence and increase the ability to kill terrorists in Africa where the terrorists train and are at, is a good thing. Because at some point, I'd bet we'll be in a war there.

Yes, but is this a unusual level of training?  And if it is, does that signal any sort of immediacy in involvement there?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Not unusual. The involvement in Africa that directly influences the GWOT you don't hear about. This involvement is more preventative in nature.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#5]
There's lots of oil in them West African hills, and we, the EU, China and Russia are jockeying to control the supply.

Nigeria is a basket case and can't get the stuff out of the ground and to market consistently. As the fields in the middle east, North Sea, Russia and the US and Canada continue to decline, Africa will be more and more visible to us and every other big country on earth.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#6]
must.......resist.....posting.....something....about.....new orleans.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
must.......resist.....posting.....something....about.....new orleans.....

They're ya go. They're preventing storms from forming of the coasts of africa that eventually become tropical storms and hurricanes
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#8]
White man's burden?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Cause China And Russia are doing the same thing in China and we want to be ready for when we have to fight those assholes.

Last I read China was preparing for a war with us by...2005 I thought it was?  Seeing as 2005 is almost over, maybe they changed thier minds or...postponed any action.

I dunno for sure, I read about that back in 01 or 02, so that may have changed, or I could just be remembering wrong.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Not unusual. The involvement in Africa that directly influences the GWOT you don't hear about. This involvement is more preventative in nature.

Theater security cooperation program.  Lots of engagement in Africa, especially west Africa.  Governments who want partnerships with the US, have undeveloped energy resources, and potential AQ troubles.

We are doing some training of local forces and building relationships.  EUCOM has largely reorganized to look south - most of Africa is in their AOR (except for the Arab/Muslim eastern portion - Egypt, Somalia, Djibouti[sp?], Sudan, Ethiopia, etc that are CENTCOM's responsibility).
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but is this a unusual level of training?  And if it is, does that signal any sort of immediacy in involvement there?

Not at all unusual even if the GWOT was not in effect.  Multinational training exercises have been going on for years.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Read this book now:

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Probably because...,despite the fact that most countries in the world right now are "against" what we are doing in place like Iraq and Afganistan, they understand that we will evetually have to meet this threat (i wont say specifically because I wouldnt want to violate any PC CoC crap) head on....
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#15]
to get my stolen laptop back!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
There's lots of oil in them West African hills, and we, the EU, China and Russia are jockeying to control the supply.

Nigeria is a basket case and can't get the stuff out of the ground and to market consistently. As the fields in the middle east, North Sea, Russia and the US and Canada continue to decline, Africa will be more and more visible to us and every other big country on earth.

What are you smoking to beleive that? I know the US has untapped resources for oil, mainly because of treehugging hippy fucksticks.

Canada has lots of untapped oil, and plenty of just tapped oil.  We are not running out any time soon. Hell if we kept it JUST ofr North American use (the US and Canada kept their oil for themselves) I doubt it woudl run out even with moderate expansion of useage in my lifetime
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I believe GWB has issued a Presidential Directive to hunt down and eliminate the Governor and the Clique Mob.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#18]
yes the Clique mob needs stopping!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#19]
TOMORROW I WILL DEAD YOU AND THE CLIQUE MOB WILL DEAD YOU BEFORE YOU DIE BECAUSE THE GOVENOR IS COMING TO FLUSH YOU DOWN THE TOYLET!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Take up the White Man's burden--
The savage wars of peace--
Fill full the mouth of Famine
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
The end for others sought,
Watch sloth and heathen Folly
Bring all your hopes to nought.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#21]
We're all over there to secure our access to "brown gold". Chocolate fools! That part of the world grows cocoa beans. Western civilization would decline w/o chocolate because we use it as a sex offering for our women. No chocolate, no sweet love, no kids. Tin-foil hat, ON!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top