Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 4:08:49 PM EDT
I've been getting eaten alive by mosquitos all summer long.  I live in Kansas City, so we do have some bugs here but nothing like Minnesota or Wisconsin mosquito problems.  Any time a go outside, it's like they swarm me.  I was outside washing my car tonight, and I killed five of them that I actually caught on me.  Who knows how many landed on me unnoticed.  My legs look like I have chicken pox...it's ridiculous.  I always forget to put repellent on, and sometimes intentionally do not because I don't want to get all smelly/oily from that stuff if I'm just going to be out a few minutes.  What is odd to me is that other people that are at my house don't get bothered at all.

WTF?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Some people are more prone to releasing things that attract mosquitos than others.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Some people are more prone to releasing things that attract mosquitos than others.

Clearly...but what are these "things"?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#4]
CO2

Stop breathing so heavy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats odd cause im the opposite..they stay right away from me mostly...

maybe high alcohol blood content? (mine - not yours!)
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't breathe abnormally heavy though.  I have great lung capacity from playing the saxophone for years, so it's not like I'm huffing and puffing from menial tasks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

maybe high alcohol blood content? (mine - not yours!)

Nah, my case clearly shatters that theory
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Mosquitos seem to go for dark colored clothes, so that's one possibility.
They also go for moisture and heat, so if you sweat a lot, that's an attraction to them.  They also go for lactic acid, which is released when we're exercising or working hard.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't feel alone Brother! A mosquito would fly 50 miles out of his way to bite my ass!  My son is also walking feeding ground for the little bastards. I wish I knew why!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Anybody ever notice that you never get bothered by mosquitoes and flys at the same time.

Here in AZ anyways
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They also go for moisture and heat, so if you sweat a lot, that's an attraction to them.  They also go for lactic acid, which is released when we're exercising or working hard.

I suppose in THIS case, that may make sense.  Washing and waxing the car caused me to sweat a bit.  However, I can just be sitting on the back deck relaxing and they still focus on em.  

It's been this way since I was a kid too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I heard they go after potassium. I eat a lot of bananas and they LOVE me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#13]
there's an old wives tale about vitamin B deficiency and mosquitoes.

Supposedly, the tale has been completely debunked by the medical community as nothing more than a hokey homeopathic remedy––––but after getting my ass nearly drained dry by the vampiric little flying bastards on my first SC hog hunt in the swamps, I tried it.  I take B12 for a few days before I go out, and now I don't even need repellent.   I just don't seem to get bit any more.  <shrug>
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I know it's CO2 but I too get picked on the most. The little fuckers will always eat me alive before even trying to attack anyone near me. I've heard it might be related to blood type but I don't see how.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top