Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2002 9:19:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Must be slow news day.  All weekend I couldn't turn to Fox or CNN without seeing something about the Smart case.

"Train explosion in Isreal.  But first, police took hair sample from Smart family dog"

"Terrorist threats on 4th of July.  But first, Ricci's wife's new hair do"

etc etc ad nauseum.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Does the fact that her parents are wealthy have anything to do with it?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Little blond rich girl.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not saying this to be funny, even though it sounds funny to some people, but my feeling is that a gun was involved.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#5]
What was that old quote.. something about "one million men die and it's a statistic, one man dies it's a tragedy"  or something like that?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the Smart case represents the suburban soccer-family horror story come to life. They were successful and lived in a nice, safe neighborhood, then some goblin climbed in the window and took their baby away at gunpoint, never to be seen again. The media is beating on it because it has resonance with every mother and father out there, and they know it.

In this case, there's nothing --as far as we know yet; remember that woman that drowned her kids in her car and blamed a fictional black man?-- that the Smart family did wrong that led to this. They're the perfectly sympathetic victims for a case that represents a percentage of one percent of all the child snatching cases out there: a pretty little girl snatched out of her affluent family's house at night by a man with a gun.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:19:49 AM EDT
[#7]
wag the dog...pay attention to the stories on page four and ignore the front page....
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does the fact that her parents are wealthy have anything to do with it?
View Quote

We have a winner. Maybe the quote should be "One million blue collar kids disappear, no one notices. One rich kid disappears, and the world goes ape..."

Scott

Link Posted: 7/1/2002 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Stoney is right.

The majority of news directors, producers and editors in the media are affluent white men, and the Smart case is what they identify with. Smart, Levy, Ramsey, etc...get a lot of press because the backgrounds of those girls are close to those who make decisions of what to air.

We know nothing more about the poor black girl who's missing in Florida, but damn it, we need to find Elizabeth.

DScott is right, too. Unless you've got money, the media doesn't really care. No matter what color you are, if your portfolio isn't green, your missing kids are just blurry picture on fliers that people throw away.

I've worked in the media for 15 years now, and it's always been that way. Outrageous.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I think John and Patsy Ramsey did it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Rich kid gets the news, agreed.

There's a little black girl from milwaukee who dissapeared just about the same time, with little national coverage.

Link Posted: 7/1/2002 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I can answer your question with only 3 words.  "Ratings, ratings, ratings"

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Every single one of those kids is just as important as Elizabeth Smart, that they all don't get the same coverage is reprehensible, but lets not forget this is still some kid who was kidnapped by a sicko, no matter if her parents are rich or not.

Don't lose sight of that, and remember it when something like this happens in your neck of the woods.

If it were my child, I would get in front of every camera I could find and say simply "98% of kidnappers get caught, when you are caught I will make sure it is by someone who works for me, and you and ytour entire family will die slow, painful deaths, unless you return my child immediately, in which case, you will be let go by my people".  When they returned my child, they would live for a year in my basement, well, I guess you could call it live...

Link Posted: 7/1/2002 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top