Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/18/2013 12:06:08 PM EDT
I've notice this attiude A LOT here on ARFCOM, and think that its very strange. Just answer the door armed. When I answer my door my Beretta is in my hand. What if if by some small chance it's actually important? If it is I shut the door put up the gun and talk to them. If they are trying to sell stuff I just say "not interested" and shut the door.

2 weeks ago I had an unexpected knock at the door. It was a neighbor informing me that he noticed my car door was open and had been for about 2 hours. He noticed it was open when he left to go to the store and was still open when he got back and that raised a flag with him. So he wanted to make sure I knew about it. I had no clue it was open and thanked him for the information. If he hadn't informed my it could have easily been 2 days later before I found out on my own.

My inlaws had someone knock on their door which is a rarity considering how far in the boonies they live. A person tubing on the river that runs behind their house got hurt. They were more than happy to help that person out.

I'm just trying to get the mentality of what is so hard/scary/time consuming about answering your own door?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends.  On the weekend it's mostly sales or Jehovah Witnesses, I rather not talk to either one.  So I just don't open the door.  Weekday, it's usually only the UPS guy.  After dark, if I don't know them, I'm just not opening the door.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Some people don't have peepholes. Better safe than sorry, only 50% of people enjoy surprise buttsecks. The top half.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Some are paranoid.

Some are afraid of their own shadows.

Some are just assholes.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Opening the door lets the air out of the house.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't really like to be solicited or proselytized to.
Nobody I know comes over unannounced.
That leaves getting irritated at the door getting knocked on.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sums it up.

UPS/FedEX/USPS packages get sent to my office. So if you're at my door and I didn't invite you over, my large dog will greet you as I sit on the couch.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some people don't have peepholes. Better safe than sorry, only 50% of people enjoy surprise buttsecks. The top half.

Plus, in some cases you can tell if someone is at the peephole so... if the the visitor is armed all they have to do is shoot through the door.

This is why I support the idea of installing surveillance cameras and an intercom.  That way you can see who it is from a safe location and - if you want to - tell them that you'll be right there.  Or just ignore them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've notice this attiude A LOT here on ARFCOM, and think that its very strange. Just answer the door armed. When I answer my door my Beretta is in my hand.

I'm not worried that much about armed cretins. I just don't want to be bothered by some dipshit salesman, census worker, campaign cavasser, etc.

What if if by some small chance it's actually important?

Like what?

Anything that's actually important to me is coming in over my cell phone. Not via an unsolicited knock on my door.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Bottom line for me is that i have very long winded neighbors....And most of the time i just don't have time to Bullshit for hours on end!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#10]
People don't like answering the door because most of the time there is some dick on the other side of it that wants to try to sell them some unwanted crap.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus, in some cases you can tell if someone is at the peephole so... if the the visitor is armed all they have to do is shoot through the door.

This is why I support the idea of installing surveillance cameras and an intercom.  That way you can see who it is from a safe location and - if you want to - tell them that you'll be right there.  Or just ignore them.

Shoot through the door?

Impossible. Murder is illegal.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sums it up.

UPS/FedEX/USPS packages get sent to my office. So if you're at my door and I didn't invite you over, my large dog will greet you as I sit on the couch.

Sounds like a good dog.

My UPS guy is considerate enough to give a quick beep of the horn when he pulls up so I go out and meet him.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Some are paranoid.

Some are just assholes.

this....................
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't remember the last time I answered the door to a stranger and was glad I'd answered the door.

(Other than delivery guys)

I still do about half the time, but it's always someone selling something.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I live in a city. When we bought this house 12 years it was a very nice area of town. Now it is getting bad around us. The hood rats are getting closer. I will always be armed when I go to the door. I would like to have a gun in my hand at the ready and not need it then to not have it and need it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#17]
NINJAS.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Several years ago I get a knock at my door in the middle of the night. It was persistent, so I grabbed a 1911 and went to the door. I asked who it was, and they said police. I opened the door, but kept the pistol hidden behind the solid part of the door. They were at the wrong address, and went on their way not knowing I had a pistol the whole time.

That door has since been replaced with a solid door that has no peep hole. I have been meaning to put a camera out there, but haven't yet.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I live in a city. When we bought this house 12 years it was a very nice area of town. Now it is getting bad around us. The hood rats are getting closer. I will always be armed when I go to the door. I would like to have a gun in my hand at the ready and not need it then to not have it and need it.

You what's even better than being armed when you open the door in response to an unanticipated visitor?

Not going and opening the door to an unanticipated visitor in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#20]
There are days when I take so many pain killers to make it thru the day I could have sex with Jessica Alba and not remember so I don't get pissed answering the door because I could have been told that someone was coming over and just not remember it. That is until I answer it and it is someone soliciting. I have a sign right next to the G*&^d%mn door bell button that in all caps says  NO SOLICITING and yet they still f^&%$g knock or ring the bell. The only ones I don't go off on are the kids selling chocolate for school. One because well it's chocolate and two I remember having to sell that shit when I was in school and I hated it when folks got ugly with me so I don't do it to them. Adults are fair game though since they CHOSE not to abide by the sign.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Nothing better than getting the doorbell when I'm doing dryfire/reloading practice with all my competition gear on(holstered pistol,  shotshell carriers, AR Mag carrier, 3-9mm Mag Carriers).  "Hold on let me put my shotgun down..yes can I help you?"...Watch the eyes get as big as saucers...lol.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#22]
So you think I need to answer my phone too?

What do think my mom is for?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nothing better than getting the doorbell when I'm doing dryfire/reloading practice with all my competition gear on(holstered pistol,  shotshell carriers, AR Mag carrier, 3-9mm Mag Carriers).  "Hold on let me put my shotgun down..yes can I help you?"...Watch the eyes get as big as saucers...lol.

Nothing like answering the door with a pile of unloaded guns, and letting whoever is on the other side know that you own piles of nice guns.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Never answer the door.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I can count, on one hand, the number of times I've been pleasantly surprised by a knock on my door. On the other hand, If I had a nickel for every time such a knock has resulted in wasting my time...
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Ever hear of vectors?
At some point they intersect
Answering the door is playing with fire,one day you could get burned.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So you think I need to answer my phone too?

What do think my mom is for?

I lol'd.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I always rack the slide on my shotgun before I answer my door.

Nobody ever seems to be there when I open it though
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Had a guy stop by the house earlier. Asked if we were interested in selling my grandfathers truck. Told him its not mine to sell but if he gave me a phone number I'd be willing to give him a call with details, price, etc. He didnt have a phone because he was from Mexico. Told him to come back later.

Moral of the story,I opened the door and I didn't get shot or raped.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Some are paranoid.

Some are just assholes.

Pretty much covers it
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Had a guy stop by the house earlier. Asked if we were interested in selling my grandfathers truck. Told him its not mine to sell but if he gave me a phone number I'd be willing to give him a call with details, price, etc. He didnt have a phone because he was from Mexico. Told him to come back later.

Yet. You forgot to say yet.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Isolated incident
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Still sounds like a waste of my time.

I'll stay on the couch. Talk to my dog.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#35]
People who know us come to the back door.
People I want to open the front door for are expected and usually have pizza or chinese food.

Other than that, I'm not going to bother.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Some are paranoid.

Some are just assholes.

Hi, I am an asshole
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#38]
People I know know to call. Horse meat and security systems salesmen do not have my number.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some are paranoid.

Some are just assholes.

Hi, I am an asshole

If those are the only three choices then count me in as an asshole.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I've notice this attiude A LOT here on ARFCOM, and think that its very strange. Just answer the door armed. When I answer my door my Beretta is in my hand. What if if by some small chance it's actually important? If it is I shut the door put up the gun and talk to them. If they are trying to sell stuff I just say "not interested" and shut the door.

2 weeks ago I had an unexpected knock at the door. It was a neighbor informing me that he noticed my car door was open and had been for about 2 hours. He noticed it was open when he left to go to the store and was still open when he got back and that raised a flag with him. So he wanted to make sure I knew about it. I had no clue it was open and thanked him for the information. If he hadn't informed my it could have easily been 2 days later before I found out on my own.

My inlaws had someone knock on their door which is a rarity considering how far in the boonies they live. A person tubing on the river that runs behind their house got hurt. They were more than happy to help that person out.

I'm just trying to get the mentality of what is so hard/scary/time consuming about answering your own door?

That's why we don't answer knocked on doors.

ETA: Some people just live in the type of neighborhood where the only people who come knocking are looking to sell something or shovel your drive etc.  I used to.  Now I don't.  Now I answer the door.  Except now no one ever knocks.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I never have to answer my door.

Oh, people come to my door alright, but I have a doorbell with cut wires so they just stand there like idiots for 10 minutes and leave.

I literally haven't answered my door in a few years.  Best. Idea. Ever.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#42]
I didn't invite you over, what the fuck do you want? I've got pie in the oven!

Always a gun in my back pocket if I'm wearing pants.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Oh, people come to my door alright, but I have a doorbell with cut wires so they just stand there like idiots for 10 minutes and leave.

I always knock, if I can't hear the bell.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#44]
A knock at a friends door, he was on his way to the gun safe, shoved both 1911's in his waist band, started to open the door and his 2GSD's came running to see who was coming or going. Grabbed both dogs by the collars, and kicked the door open, lady said something about "the meek will inherent the earth" his response was do I look meek, looked at the dogs and pistols and turned and walked away. Two weeks later he saw the same group of ladies walking down the street and before they got to his house they crossed to the other side. He has not had a Jehovah's wittness since.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

it either cuts down on their masturbating time or their video game time, in some cases they're doing both at the same time

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I always knock, if I can't hear the bell.  

Reminds me of the scene in that movie Men In Black where The Fresh Prince has to fill out the application.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#47]
you're letting bugs in!!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#48]
i get super pissed if people stop by un announced. always have. cause the only people who do are people who are selling shit and people i don't want to talk too. even my neighbors know to call before heading over.

that being said, since i started answering the door with a 1911 in my hand, the repeting sales calls have stopped. in fact the last guy wouldn't even give me his sales pitch, he just wanted to leave. lol
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#49]
I live way back off the road , knock and I answer , usually it is people who are lost. I have been great at telling them where to go.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I didn't invite you over, what the fuck do you want? I've got pie in the oven!

Always a gun in my back pocket if I'm wearing pants.

I hate to ask, but where is it if you don't have pants on?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top