Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/4/2004 7:17:10 AM EDT
When I am supposed to be "donating" my organs, I cannot specifically will it to whoever it might someday benefit, i.e., a dying child.

So who I am really benefitting? Where is my donation going? To some medical conglomerate who will then charge above-mentioned dying child's family for MY organ?

A doctor can charge his enormous fees for a transplant operation but that is covered under LABOR. I should be able to collect on PARTS.

Before I would give my organs, I would want fair market value to be paid to my successors. That's only fair.

BTW, the same is true for blood donations. I am expected to donate blood that some hospital will turn around and charge $600 for and only pay me with stale cookies and juice? No WAY.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:23:00 AM EDT
Alternately, a mortician could remove them, shove them full of preservative, and put them back into your corpse to slowly rot with you 6 feet under.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:23:06 AM EDT
I am, but I specified no liberals, homos, French adults, or anti hunters.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:24:19 AM EDT
I AM an organ donar. It says so on my license.

Also, routinely, I donate my organ to my wife and do not charge her any IN and OUT charges.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:24:49 AM EDT
Saw an episode on Law and Order where some doc killed a person so he could use the organs to advance himself.

It is not to out of the realm of reality to think it could not happen.

I will rot with mine thank you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:25:16 AM EDT
So you're saying that you'd rather let some innocent person DIE than let a third party make a buck off saving that person's life?

That's cold. What do you care? - you'll be dead at the time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:32:16 AM EDT
I'm still an organ donor. Just got to hope the parts go to someone "deserving"; they aren't going to do me any more good. I feel sorry for the person that gets my disposition!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:35:14 AM EDT
As far as blood is concerned, do you not see that there is indeed a cost for getting it out of your body, screening it, and storing it? It ain't free.

As for organs, it is a similar issue. Your organs go to the next person on the list. If you're a donor, the hospital calls UNOS, tells them what they've got, your history, etc., and they place the organ (that's really over simplified). Again, extracting, temporarily storing, and transporting organs is not cheap.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:54:22 AM EDT
Im not donating anything.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:00:55 AM EDT
Donate my "organ?"

Sure, as long as a few conditions are met.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:04:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 762mmMAN:
BTW, the same is true for blood donations. I am expected to donate blood that some hospital will turn around and charge $600 for and only pay me with stale cookies and juice? No WAY.

I think you missed the part where someone else has donated his/her blood in case it's needed to save your life someday. If everyone had your attitude there would be no blood available when you needed it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:07:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2004 8:23:08 AM EDT by rkbar15]

Originally Posted By cyanide:
Saw an episode on Law and Order where some doc killed a person so he could use the organs to advance himself.

It is not to out of the realm of reality to think it could not happen.

I will rot with mine thank you.

Just make sure you never elect to receive a donated organ to save your life or your eyesight.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:09:00 AM EDT
orgasm donor
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:09:37 AM EDT
Typical self oriented (SELFISH) crowd.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:10:40 AM EDT
I so don't care what happens to my corpse after I'm dead, as long as some scumbag in a keffiyeh isn't dragging it down a street or setting it on fire. Please kill that person if that happens.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:13:09 AM EDT
It defeats NATURAL SELECTION!

If I save some genetic INFERIOR, then they will live to procreate and WEAKEN the FUCKING GENE POOL, FOOL!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:17:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2004 8:18:07 AM EDT by Jarhead_22]

Originally Posted By markm:

If I save some genetic INFERIOR, then they will live to procreate and WEAKEN the FUCKING GENE POOL, FOOL!

Remember that when it's your kid who needs a heart or liver.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:20:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:
I so don't care what happens to my corpse after I'm dead, as long as some scumbag in a keffiyeh isn't dragging it down a street or setting it on fire. Please kill that person if that happens.

Agreed. Any reciprocity?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:21:25 AM EDT

Please explain how donating your corneas to save the sight of someone who was injured will weaken the gene pool?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:00:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rkbar15:

Please explain how donating your corneas to save the sight of someone who was injured will weaken the gene pool?

By his rationale we should provide no medical care except for incidents of trauma. After all heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc... all have strong genetic disposition.

The National Organ Transplant Act makes it illegal to sell organs so that means the donor recipient is not paying the hospital for your organ. What they are paying for is the tests to see if tissue type is compatible, cost of removing the organ from your body, care of said organ, and reimplantation.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:05:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:12:46 AM EDT
If they were not good enough to keep me alive, why would someone else want them?

I was born with them, they are mine, and besides what $$$$$$ would my family get from them, just the doctors and the health care companies are going to profit from them
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:14:05 AM EDT
I hope you are being sarcastic Beekeeper. Around here it's all the vagrants and some really scumbags who donate regularly since they pay you for it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:14:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:15:45 AM EDT

Clean up in Aisle 6....while you are at it add some chloine to the markm Genepool..
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:16:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BenDover:
Around here it's all the vagrants and some really scumbags who donate regularly since they pay you for it.

Same way here. They pay more for AIDs blood I think. They use it for something
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:18:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dpmmn:
If they were not good enough to keep me alive, why would someone else want them?

Think about it... They are not taking organs from old people. They take them from brain dead people on life support. Ergo, trauma victims.

Some of you dudes make me proud of my signature line...
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:18:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:19:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AZ-K9:

What's selfish about wanting just financial compensation for my family?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:21:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:41:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Taxman:

If you have AIDS you would be rejected from donating. Why would they pay for AIDS infected blood?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:42:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rkbar15:

Originally Posted By Taxman:

If you have AIDS you would be rejected from donating. Why would they pay for AIDS infected blood?

I think its for some type of testing research or something.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:46:51 AM EDT
I guess we live in a great free country where you all have a right to be

SELFISH PRICKS

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:51:01 AM EDT
If you suddenly find one day that you are in desperate need of an organ, (heart, liver, etc.) I hope the person donating one won't have any qualms about it.

It's about karma.

The good you do lives on.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:23:51 AM EDT
I'm A donor . My Grandpa lived a full decade and a half because some one else was kind enough to be one too.

Once I am dead , I don't realy need them anymore .
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:32:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AZ-K9:

What's selfish about wanting just financial compensation for my family?

If you can't figure it out after simply thinking about it, do you think I can convince you?

Not everything revolves around you or your wallet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:35:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:
Agreed. Any reciprocity?

I got your back, hombre.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:51:05 AM EDT
I have a little seven-year-old girl on my soccer team that had a kidney transplant. She's alive today because of the parents who's child had died, donated the their child’s organs.

Frankly, I'm dead and if I can give sight or life to someone, for however short a time, I'm all for it.

From what I've read, the chance of abuse within the donor system is rare. It's carefully controlled and monitored. Sure, somebody's going to make a buck. I can't see how it would work any other way.

Some of you guys can be so friggen self-centered sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:16:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jblachly:
I guess we live in a great free country where you all have a right to be

SELFISH PRICKS

What he said. Organ donation is so low; people die daily from simply not being able to get a transplant when they need one. What happens to me after I'm dead is of no consequence to me. If somone else can benefit from my death in this fashion then by all means.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:38:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2004 11:39:06 AM EDT by 762mmMAN]

Originally Posted By Ramjet:
I have a little seven-year-old girl on my soccer team that had a kidney transplant. She's alive today because of the parents who's child had died, donated the their child’s organs.

Frankly, I'm dead and if I can give sight or life to someone, for however short a time, I'm all for it.

I think it would be great a seven-year-old girl to live as a result of my kidneys. I would rather she have them than some guy like Mickey Mantle (for those of you who say the system doesn't have flaws).

By following the logic of "I'm dead who cares?", would you then not buy life insurance for your survivors? The medical companies receiving your generous "donation" would rather waste an opportunity to save lives than cut into their 100% profit margin to pay my successors.

What I am suggesting is an added incentive to increase available organs simply by offering a fair market value for them.

In this case, everyone wins: The doctors still make their money performing the operation, someone's life is saved, and my family receives some funds.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:44:51 AM EDT
If Im dead what do I care? I have enough life insurance to take care of my loved ones. If it saves someones life, thats all that matters to me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:01:31 PM EDT

What I am suggesting is an added incentive to increase available organs simply by offering a fair market value for them.

Makes sense to me.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:22:31 PM EDT
There is a serious shortage of needed organs. "Compensating" the donors or their families would help correct a lot of that shortage. The problem with compensation is ethics and abuse. It's a scary thought, but it is likely that some people would let a family member die (or worse, kill them) in order to receive the compensation. In Russia and the surrounding countries, children are sold to be "harvested" for their body parts.

That frightening possiblity is one reason we don't compensate donors' families. So, instead, we let more people die who are waiting for organs.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:36:33 PM EDT
It is absolutely fucking TRAGIC to me that people would consciously decide not to donate their organs because someone didn't offer them money, or because someone else MIGHT profit.

Are you opposed to for-profit hospitals? Would you refuse to bring your sick child to a hospital that might make a small profit off the treatment of your child? I don't even KNOW if there's much money in the organ donation process, or it's just a cruel and malicious urban legend, but EVEN if there was, it seems like a lame reason to not want to save someone's life.

Ultimately, the problem with organ donation in most contries is that it is an "opt IN" system instead of an "opt OUT" system. What I mean is that for the hospital to be able to take your organs, you have to REALLY CLEARLY indicate that you want them to, and even then (in most cases) your surviving familiy can still prevent it, if they feel like it. The system would be so much better if the hospital could just take your organs UNLESS you really clearly stated that you DO NOT want them to. After all - most people probably don't really care, so I you do car, how much is it to ask that you indicate "DON NOT TAKE MY ORGANS" on your driver's license.

If the system worked that way, there would be no shortage of organs at all - but that would just make too much sense and be too easy, apparently .

btw - I also donate blood several times a year - and I've never been paid.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:02:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2004 1:06:33 PM EDT by Sukebe]
When the day comes that organ transplants and follow up treatment are done completely free of charge, that is all health care facilities and health care professionals involved with any part of the transplant proceedure from beginning to end, dontate their time, facilities, materials, medications, skills, etc, that is is the day I become an organ donaor. Until them, I don't want to hear about moral obligations or karma. Until then, pay me.

BTW, anyone who thinks that donated organs go to the most needy first is mistaken. If the patient has enough money and notoriety (preferably both), that little girl on deaths door will just have to wait.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:03:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

If the system worked that way, there would be no shortage of organs at all - but that would just make too much sense and be too easy, apparently .

Are you suggesting that companies or govt should adopt a policy saying, "We are you going to take your organs unless you respond and initial here, here, and here. If you do not respond, we will assume your silence is agreement."

This practice is not legal for magazine subscriptions, let alone organ harvesting.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:04:09 PM EDT
I can’t imagine simply letting someone else die because I wasn’t going to get paid for trying to help them!!

I guess I’m getting old – values in this country really seem to have changed!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:06:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:08:26 PM EDT
i'm not an oragan donor because I don't plan on dying anytime soon. it's bad luck.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:10:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:

Originally Posted By Sukebe:
When the day comes that organs transplants and follow up treatment are done completely free of charge, that is all health care facilities and health care professionals involved with any part of the transplant proceedure from beginning to end, dontate their time, facilities, materials, medications, skills, etc, that is is the day I become and organ donaor. Until them, I don't want to hear about moral obligations or karma. Until then, pay me.

I take it you do your job for free also--in order to not come across as a complete hypocrite.

No but I'm not telling people thay have a moral obligation to donate materials that I intend to use for profit. Huge profits at that. I'm not telling people that they can donate their organs and save a life while I refuse to do the proceedure unless I make a pile of cash.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:19:08 PM EDT
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top