Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/22/2003 2:48:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:53:50 AM EDT
[#1]

I say GOD DAMN!!!!!!  Dude ever heard of a DOCTOR BEFORE IT GETS THAT BAD????????
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:57:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Once you wait so long it's too late. And the bad part is, it doesn't really look that bad when you've waited too long. Once the flesh is dead it just rots.

Pretty bad stuff...
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:14:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup, I can see it now.
"Well the guys on AR15.com said to wait a couple of days".....
Damn with necrosis that bad, amputation is a good possibility.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:16:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I bet his hand smells good.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:19:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:23:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:33:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw the series of photos. That is a hand that recieved medical help within hours of being bit. Thats what a fiddleback does.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:11:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Hobo spiders do that too.  They're like Brown Recluses, hide in woodpiles, bdark basements, etc.  Their venom kills flesh.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:18:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Bite Symptoms

The severity of a person's reaction to the bite depends on the amount of venom injected and individual sensitivity to it. Bite effects may be nothing at all, immediate or delayed. Some may not be aware of the bite for 2 to 8 hours, whereas others feel a stinging sensation usually followed by intense pain if there is a severe reaction. A small white blister usually rises at the bite site surrounded by a large congested and swollen area. Within 24 to 36 hours, a systemic reaction may occur with the victim characterized by restlessness, fever, chills, nausea, weakness and joint pain. The affected area enlarges, becomes inflamed and the tissue is hard to the touch. The spider's venom contains an enzyme that destroys cell membranes in the wound area with affected tissue gradually sloughing away, exposing underlying tissues. Within 24 hours, the bite site can erupt into a "volcano lesion" (a hole in the flesh due to damaged, gangrenous tissue).

The open wound may range from the size of an adult's thumbnail to the span of a hand. The sunken, ulcerating sore may heal slowly up to 6 to 8 weeks. Full recovery may take several months and scarring may remain. Plastic surgery and skin grafts are sometimes required.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:56:14 AM EDT
[#10]
It just looks like a red X.  

OK, now I see it.  That's really bad.

Does anybody have a picture of a Brown Recluse?  I have read about them but never seen one.  I have killed plenty Black Widows, but wouldn't know a Recluse if I saw it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:59:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Man, I hate them spiders !
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:02:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:09:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I did a mulch and pruning job at a BIG house 2 years ago. We pruned 90 bushes and about 10 small ornamental trees. We also put down 50 cubic yards of hardwood mulch. There was ALOT of walking around in and around bushes over those 2 days.

The funny thing was as I was leaving with check in hand I stooped over to brush some mulch around in a bed where it was not as smooth as I like. I felt something brush my ear and I looked up. There she was, a Black widow spider about the size of a quarter (including her legs). She was guarding her egg pack or a meal that had been wrapped up for later. I think it was eggs. She did not move, and I've never been closer to pissing my pants in my life. I just said out loud, thank you Lord that I did not walk through that nest earlier while working and backed out slowly.

I came back with a can of WD-40 and a lighter and blowtorched her behind into the next century.

Boy that freaked me out, but also told me how muck God really does look out for me every day. Rotting flesh is one thing, Black Widows can kill you.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#14]
[img]http://www.focusedxterm.com/images/brown%20recluse.gif[/img]

[img]http://doacs.state.fl.us/~pi/enpp/ento/images/l.reclusabrown2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/hfrr/HortImage/Brown%20Recluse%20Spider.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:50:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I was bitten on the wrist by a Camel Spider in Egypt. I would have lost my had had I delayed treatment.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:57:19 AM EDT
[#16]
They are all over the place here, and I know many who have suffered bites from them. Some reactions are mild (swelling), but some are pretty severe and require surgery to remove the affected area. A friend of mine got git, and had a chunk of muscle the size of a baseball removed from his thigh. His reaction, and the treatment, was considered "normal" for Brown Recluse bites.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:43:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I've seen a few people that have scars from when they were bit by a Brown Recluse.  Not very pretty. Sure don't ever want to get bit by one of those. I kill every spider I see (except for a Daddy Longlegs).  
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:51:33 AM EDT
[#18]
The parent's farmhouse has literally thousands of brown recluses.  Last Friday I climbed up into the attic to retrieve some rifles and I found some HUGE specimens--two inches from tip to tip!  Growing up there we shook our clothes and towels before using...we don't have Orkinman out in the backwoods[BD]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:56:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes, some people are actually somewhat immune to it...

Our biggest jock football player (nice guy) in high school was bitten by something. A week later tests reveiled it was a brown recluse that bit him... The only reason he saw the doctor was because he had a swollen area of skin, one week and five days later the swollen skin had returned to normal. No medication.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just said out loud, thank you Lord that I did not walk through that nest earlier while working and backed out slowly.
View Quote

I know exactly what you mean.  A few years ago, my Dad and I were working on the back of his property, cutting down pine trees with pine bark beetles in them.  We had a gas powered chainsaw that NEVER failed to start on the first pull.

Well, this time the saw decided that it wouldn't start.  We just cranked and cranked on it, but no luck.  Finally, we got to looking at what might be wrong.  While looking it over, we found a large black widow inside the handguard, where our hands would have gone immediately after the chainsaw started up.

We killed the bastard, and cranked the chainsaw.  It started on the first pull...

No shit.  I've heard other similar stories about Black Widows.  I've really come to think they carry around these kinds of problems with them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#23]
We have recluses around here and just two days ago ran across a black widow in the woods. I kill them too.
That bite looks incredibly nasty. I hope it heals well. If I remember correctly the recluse bite kills the flesh at the site and from there spreads outward continuing to destroy the flesh wherever it goes. That wound may not ever heal properly, the victim might end up with a huge chunk of flesh permanently missing.
Damn, that bite really looks bad.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've seen a few people that have scars from when they were bit by a Brown Recluse.  Not very pretty. Sure don't ever want to get bit by one of those. I kill every spider I see (except for a Daddy Longlegs).  
View Quote

'daddy longlegs' are not spiders

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I had two room mates in AZ get bitten by Brown Recluses in 1980.

First got one major bite on the abdomen.  3 days later he had surgery to remove the dead tissue.  While he was repacking the wound with gauze I got to see it.  They had to go pretty deep to get it all.  

Second one got bitten on thigh and scrotum 33 times.  He had surgery for a medium sized bite on his thigh and I'm not sure what they had to do to the minor bites on his scrotum.  Didn't ask and didn't want to know as it sounded painful.  All in all, he spent 7-10 days in hospital.

After that, we figured paying $15 a month for the insect guy to spray the house was a real bargain.

Used to see plenty of black widows also but they were shy compared to the BR who are very aggressive.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Yuck!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#27]
This is not helping my innate fear of spiders at all.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#28]
[puke]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#29]
I was bitten by a Brown Recluse on my left calf about 10 years ago.  It was the worst pain I have experienced thus far in my life.  It rotted a fucking hole in my leg and turnrd the skin black, along with a 104 degree fever.

The scar is big too!

Balming
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#30]
My grandpa has a nasty scar just above his knee from a brown recluse bite looks like a gunshot wound.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#31]
[img]ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/images/2061_2.jpg[/img]

I've never seen one out here, although my dad says they have them in SoCal.

But we have plenty of black widows.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I got bit on my wrist by a black widow and a week later stung in the chest by a Wasp... Bad fucking week.

Anyway the BW bite was nothing more than a big red lump... no pain at all. However the scar lasted more than 6 months.

Wasp was A BITCH!!! that hurt like who shit a chunk!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I hate spiders!  KILL'em ALL!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I got bitten by some sort of spider a few months ago, and just in case, I removed the swollen and reddish area on my leg with my dremel tool and a wire brush, irrigating liberally with alcohol. Don't know what kind of spider it was, but the home "surgery' did the trick.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Zardoz, your "home surgery" sounds more painful than any spider bite!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Zardoz, your "home surgery" sounds more painful than any spider bite!
View Quote
Oh, it hurt like a bitch, don't get me wrong...

...but at least I got to play with my dremel!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I went down to my workshop the other week and found this fugly thing (4" wide belt, btw...)

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=12734[/img]

He had several friends.  They came over a two week span and had liberally applied webbing to most of the shop.  I hate spiders.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:40:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll tell ya what'll kill 'em quick, fast, and in a damn hurry is Gunscrubber. Expensive, but it's amazing how quickly they go tits-up.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:04:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Brown Recluse bite 10 days later.

[url]http://photos.imageevent.com/billd/misc2/websize/Brown%20recluse%20bite.jpg[/url]
View Quote

HO CRAP!  I wonder if the guy is a lefty or righty shooter......hmmmm...how would you compensate?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:57:02 AM EDT
[#40]
After reading and posting on this thread yesterday morning I went out yesterday afternoon and turned over the kids sandbox to clean up and give away.  Its one of the plastic turtles.  Underneath it were 6 Black Widows.  They ranged in size from the apparent matriarch at larger thatn a quarter, with legs, to the smallest which hadn't developed the hourglass yet.

They were living in that nice warm, dry environment.  That scared the crap out of me.  My 2 yr old plays in it.

Kill'em all!!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:40:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:26:57 AM EDT
[#42]
DAMN...that is NASTY!

Kill 'em ALL!

I HATE spiders anyway...this just convinces me...NO MERCY!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:26:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I was bitten by a Brown Recluse on my left calf about 10 years ago.  It was the worst pain I have experienced thus far in my life.  It rotted a fucking hole in my leg and turnrd the skin black, along with a 104 degree fever.

The scar is big too!

Balming
View Quote

Pics!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#44]
My grandmother was bitten by a Brown Recluse several years ago. She got it treated quickly. So, it didn't leave a bad scar. My dad once said that when he was a kid, his grandmother (my great-grandmother) stepped on a scorpion. It had crawled into one of her shoes. I imagine that had to be painfull.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Rotting flesh is one thing, Black Widows can kill you.
View Quote

Well, yes, they [i]can[/i] but it's very, very, very rare. The very old or very young are usually the one where a bite can be fatal, and even then it depends on where you are bitten. One of the bitches nailed me when I was fifteen and pulling watermelons (They fucking love to live under watermelons...cool, dark and a shitload of food.) It feels like a pinprick and then about 45 minutes later it had swelled like a motherfucker and hurt like all hell.  Did that for about two days, and then started to diminish. I was sent home with painkillers and muscle relaxers and told to come back to the ER if I had worsening pain that spread up my arms to my joints etc or if I had trouble breathing.  Doc said that she nailed me on the back of the hand that the skin there is tough so I wasn't fully envenomated, but even with a full bite a very samll amount of toxin is introduced anyway. Unless I reacted to it, chances are It would make me feel bad, but wouldn't kill me.  He said that Widow bites are hardly ever fatal, but like anything, you need to seek medical attention. Even so, It gave me an unhealthy hatred of all spiders that I have to this day. I revel in killing the little bastard spawn of hell. Kleen Strip is very good (Liquifies them) , as is Carb Cleaner. My all time favorite is HotShot SPider Killer Plus, which kills on contact, but it Takes the little bastards about 15 to 20 seconds to die. Bwhahahahahahahaaaaa...

You generally will have many more complications from a Recluse than from a Widow, and widows are much harder to find...Recluses (fiddlebacks...same same) love many little niches in your house. WE find them all the time in freshly folded laundry and in the dark corners of the closets. (Sleep tight...)

SG
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#46]
I posted in a related thread that I remember reading in a Field and Stream many years ago that you can shock(electric) the area and it neutralizes the venom somehow.

I would much rather do that than apply alcohol and a dremel to the skin.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#47]
[img]http://www.picturefuse.com/images/0603/27870.jpg[/img]

I have a few of these Hobo Spiders living in my apt.  Never bitten and one is actually living in the bathroom.  After reading this thread I found that they are on the CDC list for venomous spiders and are as bad as the Brown Recluse and that many bites in my region attributed to the Recluse are actually from this spider.  Off to the store for some bug spray.  

Edited to add that the Hobo(a native European spider) was belived to range only in the NW United States, due to accidental introduction, but it was found as far east as Wyoming in 1996.  I live in SE PA and this is definitly the spider in my apt. unless there is a lookalike spider in my region?  Any experts out there?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:08:57 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm a big fan of the WD-40 & lighter "spider safari" myself, Black Widders are a pretty worthy adversary.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#49]
its the scorpions that are bad around here.  one morning i had left my pants and shirt on the floor so i picked up the shirt to put it on and a scorpion fell out.  shook it damn well and figured i got lucky.  then i took my pants and shook them out.........2 of the fuckers in there as well.  i now always shake clothes that came off the floor.  been bit before, first 30 seconds were bad, like a cigarette was being put out on me, after that it wasnt shit, nothing, ant bites are worse.  still unpleasant enough to avoid...........

ditto on the carb cleaner and wd-40 flame thrower
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#50]
You take that first picture and rotate it.  

Why you don't get drunk in Olongapo.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top