Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/4/2009 2:44:15 PM EST
I'm not trying to funny here, it's just kinda
Super Natural for lack of a better description.
I'm 52 & got my first firearm/shotgun which was 410
My dad gave it to me for my 6th birthday.

So I have had guns on a regular basis since 1962
So over all those years I have had a lot firearms
what I would give to still have them.

I've always loved guns of every kind but as much as
I have had none holds my attention or excites me like
a 1911 Words really don't do justice to how I feel about them

But I also know that most of you reading this know exactly the feelings.
My point being why are we so drawn to this pistol.
And some you would slap your mama if they ragged a 1911.

What is it that draws us to it?
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:45:19 PM EST
Because it was made by God.  Please refer to the Book of Browning.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:45:43 PM EST
Quoted:
Because it was made by God.  Please refer to the Book of Browning.

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:46:30 PM EST
1 In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was THE pistol, and it was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."

2 "And shouldst thou muck with it, and hang all manner of foul implements upon it, and profane its internal parts, thou shalt surely have malfunctions, and in the midst of battle thou shalt surely come to harm."

3 And as the ages passed men in their ignorance and arrogance didst forget the word of the Lord and began to profane the 1911. The tribe of the gamesman did place recoil spring guides and extended slide releases upon the 1911 and their metal smiths didst tighten the tolerances and alter parts to their liking, their clearness of mind being clouded by lust.

4 Their artisans did hang all manner of foul implements upon the 1911 and did so alter it that it became impractical to purchase. For lo, the artisans didst charge a great tax upon the purchasers of the 1911 so that the lowly field worker could not afford one. And the profaning of the internal parts didst render it unworkable when the dust of the land fell upon it.

5 And lo, they didst install adjustable sights, which are an abomination unto the Lord. For they doth break and lose their zero when thou dost need true aim. And those who have done so will be slain in great numbers by their enemies in the great battle. [a]

6 And it came to pass that the Lord didst see the abomination wrought by man and didst cause, as he had warned, fearful malfunctions to come upon the abominations and upon the artisans who thought they could do no wrong.

7 Seeing the malfunctions and the confusion of men, the lord of the underworld did see an opportunity to further ensnare man and didst bring forth pistols made of plastic, whose form was such that they looked and felt like a brick, yet the eyes of man being clouded, they were consumed by the plastic pistol and did buy vast quantities of them.

8 And being a deceitful spirit the lord of the underworld did make these plastic pistols unamenable to the artisans of earth and they were unable to muck much with the design, and lo these pistols did appear to function.

9 And the evil one also brought forth pistols in which the trigger didst both cock and fire them and which require a "dingus" to make them appear safe.

10 But man being stupid did not understand these new pistols and didst proceed to shoot themselves with the plastic pistol and with the trigger cocking pistols for lo their manual of arms required great intelligence which man had long since forsaken. Yet man continue to gloat over these new pistols blaming evil forces for the negligent discharges which they themselves had committed.

11 And when man had been totally ensnared with the plastic pistol, the lord of the underworld didst cause a plague of the terrible Ka-Boom to descend upon man and the plastic pistols delivered their retribution upon men. And there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth in the land.

12 Then seeing that the eyes of man were slowly being opened and that man was truly sorrowful for his sinful misdeeds, the Lord did send his messengers in the form of artisans who did hear and obey the teachings of the prophet and who didst restore the profaned 1911s to their proper configuration, and lo, to the amazement of men they didst begin to work as the prophet had intended.

13 And the men of the land didst drive out the charlatans and profaners from the land, and there was joy and peace in the land, except for the evil sprits which tried occasionally to prey on the men and women of the land and who were sent to the place of eternal damnation [b] by the followers of John.

a Several old manuscripts add the following text. "And they [also rendered as "these men"] didst chamber it for cartridges who's calibers startith with numbers less than the Holy Number 4. And lo the Lord did cause great grief amongst these men when their enemies who were struck in battle with these lesser numbers didst not fall but did continue to cause great harm."
b or Hell
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:47:12 PM EST
I've never had a pistol point better or have a better feeling trigger right out of the box.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:47:22 PM EST
Why Does A 1911 Seem So Magical That It's Almost Mythical ?

Because it is.

HH
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:48:19 PM EST
Quoted:
I've never had a pistol point better or have a better feeling trigger right out of the box.
this.plus its history.

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:48:45 PM EST
I have no idea. The 1911 isn't anything special, but a disturbing number of people think it's like the awesomest handgun ever.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:49:41 PM EST
They feel natural, as an extension of ones hand.

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:50:00 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:51:22 PM EST
Quoted:
I have no idea. The 1911 isn't anything special, but a disturbing number of people think it's like the awesomest handgun ever.

like the ones that think the same thing of the Glock.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:53:16 PM EST
Quoted:
1 In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was THE pistol, and it was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."

2 "And shouldst thou muck with it, and hang all manner of foul implements upon it, and profane its internal parts, thou shalt surely have malfunctions, and in the midst of battle thou shalt surely come to harm."

3 And as the ages passed men in their ignorance and arrogance didst forget the word of the Lord and began to profane the 1911. The tribe of the gamesman did place recoil spring guides and extended slide releases upon the 1911 and their metal smiths didst tighten the tolerances and alter parts to their liking, their clearness of mind being clouded by lust.

4 Their artisans did hang all manner of foul implements upon the 1911 and did so alter it that it became impractical to purchase. For lo, the artisans didst charge a great tax upon the purchasers of the 1911 so that the lowly field worker could not afford one. And the profaning of the internal parts didst render it unworkable when the dust of the land fell upon it.

5 And lo, they didst install adjustable sights, which are an abomination unto the Lord. For they doth break and lose their zero when thou dost need true aim. And those who have done so will be slain in great numbers by their enemies in the great battle. [a]

6 And it came to pass that the Lord didst see the abomination wrought by man and didst cause, as he had warned, fearful malfunctions to come upon the abominations and upon the artisans who thought they could do no wrong.

7 Seeing the malfunctions and the confusion of men, the lord of the underworld did see an opportunity to further ensnare man and didst bring forth pistols made of plastic, whose form was such that they looked and felt like a brick, yet the eyes of man being clouded, they were consumed by the plastic pistol and did buy vast quantities of them.

8 And being a deceitful spirit the lord of the underworld did make these plastic pistols unamenable to the artisans of earth and they were unable to muck much with the design, and lo these pistols did appear to function.

9 And the evil one also brought forth pistols in which the trigger didst both cock and fire them and which require a "dingus" to make them appear safe.

10 But man being stupid did not understand these new pistols and didst proceed to shoot themselves with the plastic pistol and with the trigger cocking pistols for lo their manual of arms required great intelligence which man had long since forsaken. Yet man continue to gloat over these new pistols blaming evil forces for the negligent discharges which they themselves had committed.

11 And when man had been totally ensnared with the plastic pistol, the lord of the underworld didst cause a plague of the terrible Ka-Boom to descend upon man and the plastic pistols delivered their retribution upon men. And there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth in the land.

12 Then seeing that the eyes of man were slowly being opened and that man was truly sorrowful for his sinful misdeeds, the Lord did send his messengers in the form of artisans who did hear and obey the teachings of the prophet and who didst restore the profaned 1911s to their proper configuration, and lo, to the amazement of men they didst begin to work as the prophet had intended.

13 And the men of the land didst drive out the charlatans and profaners from the land, and there was joy and peace in the land, except for the evil sprits which tried occasionally to prey on the men and women of the land and who were sent to the place of eternal damnation [b] by the followers of John.

a Several old manuscripts add the following text. "And they [also rendered as "these men"] didst chamber it for cartridges who's calibers startith with numbers less than the Holy Number 4. And lo the Lord did cause great grief amongst these men when their enemies who were struck in battle with these lesser numbers didst not fall but did continue to cause great harm."
b or Hell

Who are these messengers, and where can I get one of their properly configured  pistols?
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:57:58 PM EST
Quoted:

Blasphemer!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:59:03 PM EST
Quoted:

b or Hell

I like that!

I like the 1911 because it has a track record of 100 years and works everytime I pull the trigger.  Nice, large round as well.

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:01:09 PM EST
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blasphemer!!!

Remember, this comes from a guy who has RAVEN as a handle, one of the cheapest POS pistol makers on the face of the earth.

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:02:47 PM EST
Quoted:

yes

I just wish the current made ones would fucking function out of the box without spending $2K
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:02:48 PM EST
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:03:15 PM EST
Here is a sample conversation involving a "1911 guy" at the gun counter.......
1911 guy......Why you loking at that sissy 9mm? Buy yourself a 1911 45 and be done with it.
noobie....Why do you think the 45 is best for me?
1911 guy...It doesn't matter where you shoot somebody it will kill him dead!
noobie.....Really?
1911 guy.....Yeah....Saw it happen in Nam'. (clearly 1911 guy is in his late 40's)
noobie....Wow...You must have been young?
1911 guy....I looked old for my age and joined up with my older brother's birth certificate.
noobie......Bet you have some stories?
1911 guy....You don't have enough time....
noobie....By the way....You said the 1911 would be the best pistol for me....right?
1911 guy....Yeah.
noobie.....So..Can I see the one that you carry?
1911 guy...Oh hell no! I left that heavy thing at home. I'm carrying a S&W J-frame 38spl.
noobie......??????????

I've seen something like it so many times. It never ceases to amaze me.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:03:22 PM EST
Quoted:

I agree. I mean shit, you dont see people saying our tropps need lever action Winchesters or Garands for combat. Its funny how Grandpas Pistol is "good nuff" but Grandpas Rifle damn sure isnt.

Just as with rifles so too have pistols been improved.

That said, I still want a nice 1911.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:04:04 PM EST
Last week I held one for the 1st time. I currently have a 92FS Vertec.

After playing with the Kimber, I had dreams about 1911's.

I was speaking to my kid a few days ago about "Stand By Me" the movie.

I was in line at Target yesterday and it was there so I bought it.

There in the movie, was a 1911.

I swear the Lord himself wants me to get one.

I cant get the thought of it out of my head and I havent shot one yet.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:06:56 PM EST
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. I mean shit, you dont see people saying our tropps need lever action Winchesters or Garands for combat. Its funny how Grandpas Pistol is "good nuff" but Grandpas Rifle damn sure isnt.

Just as with rifles so too have pistols been improved.

That said, I still want a nice 1911.

Pistols haven't advanced as much as rifles have.

A 1911 or BHP is as capable as a Glock or other modern handgun - in the right hands.

You won't see many troops asking for a bolt action rifle or 6 foot long Garand to clear houses in the middle of the night in Baghdad.

But you will still find dedicated individuals carrying 1911s in that same situation.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:08:38 PM EST
Quoted:

b or Hell

Awesome.  Friggin awesome.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:09:21 PM EST
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:16:29 PM EST

Nuff said

ETA: Thought yall would appreciate this one too

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:17:52 PM EST
Every time I think about getting a 1911, I remember the Colt my wife bought.  And the SA my friend had.  And...

And I think I'm going to buy myself a Browning Hi-Power to satisfy my Browning-shaped-hole, and cause my wife took mine.

Although, if Browning had lived long enough to see modern manufacturing methods and materials, he would have designed the Glock 20 years before Gaston did... and it would fit everyone's hands better.

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:27:03 PM EST

I think Jesus would have a FAL for a rifle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:27:30 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:29:29 PM EST
The 1911 is a must in every collection.  I have a couple, and they are one of my favorite things to shoot.  I would say my addiction started the day I walked into my armory and viewed the crate of new MEU(SOC) 1911s.  Ah, the things dreams are made of......

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:32:33 PM EST
It feels magical because when you have a 1911 you feel like God is on your side.

Also, nobody has even come close to making a gun as good as the 1911.  So far, nobody has been able to build a slim .45 that has a better trigger than the 1911.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:34:15 PM EST
Quoted:

I think Jesus would have a FAL for a rifle.

He sure wouldn't have a muzzle brake either. [>:/]

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:37:59 PM EST
I think you all know my feelings.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:39:05 PM EST
Quoted:

Do tell.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:41:08 PM EST
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes

I just wish the current made ones would function out of the box without spending $2K

I paid 800 bucks for a Kimber that has been flawless from the get-go.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:43:05 PM EST
Quoted:
It feels magical because when you have a 1911 you feel like God is on your side.

Also, nobody has even come close to making a gun as good as the 1911.  So far, nobody has been able to build a slim .45 that has a better trigger than the 1911.

Thats funny cause my G30 gives me the same feeling with a few more rnds to spare

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:43:36 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:56:39 PM EST
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes

I just wish the current made ones would function out of the box without spending $2K

I paid 800 bucks for a Kimber that has been flawless from the get-go.

I paid about the same for one that I had to tinker with the extractor and experiment with two or three different magazines before I got working well enough to where I'd feel okay carrying it.

Consistency is the biggest problem with 1911s nowadays.  It takes care in machining and assembly, and quality parts to make one run right.  That costs money, more than some companies are willing to spend.

i dont have that problem with my ed brown but i paid more than 1000 more than a kimber would cost

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:57:59 PM EST
Quoted:

+1

I have 4 handguns that I like better than 1911s.

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 4:02:46 PM EST
Gratuitous 1911 Pics.

" />

" />

" />" />

" />

[/img]
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 4:07:03 PM EST
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do tell.

thanks for the laugh
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 4:08:31 PM EST
Cause it feels, correct..
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 4:10:01 PM EST
Quoted:
Quoted:

b or Hell

Who are these messengers, and where can I get one of their properly configured  pistols?

I think the angles were a little too occupied with the mainspring housing or something when they designed those original sights. Slackin' bastards!
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 4:11:04 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 4:12:47 PM EST
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do tell.

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 4:15:02 PM EST
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes

I just wish the current made ones would fucking function out of the box without spending $2K

I would really like to see the production areas of the current high-priced 1911 builders.  They must be cutting corners somewhere.  Contrary to popular belief, mass production done right is better than hand-building.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 4:15:03 PM EST

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 4:16:54 PM EST
The history of it makes it for me. It sounds cheesy, but pretty much every time I hold it/ fire it I think of all of the troops who used them in WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, and today, along with many smaller battles in between. It makes me proud to have a small part in that history by using one as well.

Oh, and they kill bodies. Effectively.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 4:21:55 PM EST
To paraphrase the great Obi Wan:

"Not as clumsy or random as a Glock. An elegant weapon for a more civilized time."  

Oh, and it's a perfectly balanced, soft shooting, ergonomic masterpiece that launches a hefty round.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 4:28:08 PM EST
Quoted:

Most awesome - awesomeness is not a word.  The correct phrase is "most awesome handgun ever" and it is right.

And yes Jesus would have an FAL, its called the right arm of the free world for a reason.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 4:29:31 PM EST
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blasphemer!!!

Burn him at the stake!
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 4:31:10 PM EST

<––––-
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 4:34:51 PM EST
MYTHical pretty much cover's it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top