BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2005 9:41:08 PM EDT
I don't get it.
Why do people hate Walmart so much?
What did Walmart do that other mass retailers didn't do or atleast try to do?
Take Sears for example since I don't see people here talk shit about them and they are the ideal American mass retailer.

Do you think your average Sears has greater percentage of US made products than Walmart?
Did you notice that more and more Craftsman tools are made in China?
Does Sears pay more to their associates or have better insurance plan than Walmart?
Does Sears still sell guns and ammo?

From what I can see the only difference between Sears and Walmart is that Walmart was smart enough to accomplish what Sears only dreamed about.

So, whats the difference?  NOTHING!
We all talk shit about Walmart because they are the most successful mass retailer and when something is that successful people just get jealous and envious.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate the wal-marts here because the service SUCKS
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Wal Mart is EVIL

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Why do people hate Walmart so much?

It's currently fashionable.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

And Sears has better service?
Maybe in your town but not in mine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't.  I love Wal-Mart.  I met a Polish girl at the one in Reno named Angelika and she looks like a corpse.  (A very good looking corpse-just very white skin.) She works in housewares.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it's funny that you would post that and expect a sentiant response.

It's kinda like the Airsoft/Paintball/Realgun debate.

No real, reasonable feelings expressed get a laughy smileyface.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And Sears has better service?
Maybe in your town but not in mine.

I answered about walmart, feel free to read anything you want into my post...............

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Because I went in today to get one item... One item... One item...

And it took 37 minutes

1.  Too many customers that some how tied their own shoes and didn't drown in their drool.

2. Never enough employees to check out the herd of people with shopping carts overflowing with stuff.

3. Automated self-checkout machines that seem to attract the dumbest, slowest customers like a moth to a flame.

Could have gone to Pepboys but tried to save a few bucks and get the oil filter at Walmart.  Never again!  Not going back unless I have couple of free hours to waste

EPOCH
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I luvs the Wally World.

It's cheap, it's smelly, it's a freakshow, and the 9mm is cheap.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
People hate Walmart because they sell cheap Chinese products and screw american workers out of manufacturing jobs. They are communist loving pinkos.

People hate Bill Clinton because he banned the sale of cheap Chinese firearms in the U.S. creating high paying firearms manuf. jobs for U.S. workers. They are communist loving pinkos.

People hate Walmart because they destroy local Mom/Pop firearms shops that give good service.

People hate local Mom/Pow firearms shops because even though they give good service, they would rather pay the WalMart price so they just buy at WalMart.

People hate Walmart because pepole are just full of hate for whatever does not please them for thier fleeting moment each day that they can form a thought in thier tiny heads.

Dare you to post that during the day crew shift
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#12]
We should all thank Walmart for hiring the most useless people in this country... nobody else will hire them
Lets face it, Walmart keeps them off the welfare so we don't have to spend our tax $$ on them
Walmart is like private sector welfare system for these idots
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I like shopping for food at the Super Wally.
Hate buying anything else and supporting the CHI-COMs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
We should all thank Walmart for hiring the most useless people in this country... nobody else will hire them
Lets face it, Walmart keeps them off the welfare so we don't have to spend our tax $$ on them

I would like to thank yobo for showing me that I am one of the most useless people in the country, and also an idiot. [cheers]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Hey, thanks for that remark.

I have three kids with variing degrees of autism, and, that may well be thier only shot at getting a job.  Not the only one, but, among thier limited choices.

I bet my oldest would probably give eyou a nice smile and, genuinely wish you a good morning.

My kids may be useless in your value, but, they can work, and, that's an option.  Maybe that's why I'm more forgiving.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I shop at S Mart. Shop smart, shop S Mart.

Actually the only thing I hate about WalMart is the same thing I love about going.

The bizzarre customers.

From the white trailer trash mullet headed rednecks to the $200 hair weave ghetto folks. From the land manatees in the electric carts to the 125yrd old women with walkers blocking the aisle.

Its either fun to watch or infuriating. Wally World can be an emotional rollercoaster. Laugh my butt off at someone one moment to wanting to drop someone the next.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Actually the only thing I hate about WalMart is the same thing I love about going.

The bizzarre customers.

From the white trailer trash mullet headed rednecks to the $200 hair weave ghetto folks. From the land manatees in the electric carts to the 125yrd old women with walkers blocking the aisle.

Its either fun to watch or infuriating. Wally World can be an emotional rollercoaster. Laugh my butt off at someone on moment to wanting to drop someone the next.

That's nice.  Always cool to feel like an Ubermenchen, hm?

I will demand you pay me royalties next time youcome in, though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The bizzarre customers.

Its either fun to watch or infuriating. Wally World can be an emotional rollercoaster. Laugh my butt off at someone on moment to wanting to drop someone the next.

OK I will amdit it. That went a mile above my head.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#19]
  You know I used to have a anti walmart veiw.  I thought the same way. Until I started looking at the stuff the normal mom and pop stores had and low and behold it was made in china also.

I was reading the book SOG (I think this was the one) and it was talking about a special forces soldier whos father owned a 5 and dime drug store back state side. This solier died and was one of the most decorated soldiers of the war. Come to find out it was Samual Waltons son. This man started with a dream , The smae most people start out with when there start a business, working hard alll his life.  In my area there big. People cant afford high prices. Mom and pop stores rip you off with high prices when ever they think they can still sell stuff. It may be unfair how large of a market share they have, but heck you cant blame them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#20]
10% of imports from china come through walmart.

Google "walmart effect".
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The bizzarre customers.

It's about the duality of man sir!

Ok.  The first portion was a slam.  I think it was pretty reprehensible what you said in your last post.  I think it was nasty and mean spirited...Not to mention bigoted.

The second part was my own, rye sense of humor, since I DO go to Wal-Mart, and, I assume part of your entertainment, I demand money for my services to entertain you.

The second part was farce.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The bizzarre customers.

Ok.  The first portion was a slam.  I think it was pretty reprehensible what you said in your last post.  I think it was nasty and mean spirited...Not to mention bigoted.

The second part was my own, rye sense of humor, since I DO go to Wal-Mart, and, I assume part of your entertainment, I demand money for my services to entertain you.

Ok got it.

Hey I am sure I am someones entertainment while I am shopping as well. Probaly fit into the white trash part without the mullet, us baldies cant grow those.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The bizzarre customers.

Ok got it.

Hey I am sure I am someones entertainment while I am shopping as well. Probaly fit into the white trash part without the mullet, us baldies cant grow those.

My Mullet got burned up in Loki's Fiero, so, I'm in mourning.

(Refer to night crew thread to prevent me from typing more than I want to reference the many of my semi obscure references.)
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

"The joke world can get tough -- wear a cup." Dennis Miller

EPOCH
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

EPOCH

I stand by what I post......'Cept for when I'm REALLY drunk.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

EPOCH

I didnt meant to sound so harsh and wasnt meant to be mean. I just get ticked off when someone who obviously needs to be walking is riding around a cart when my GF mother is trying to make her way around in  walker because she is too polite to ask if she can use a cart. When I am not with her and I go into an aisle blocked by an old lady with walker, I get pissed because usually two aisles over is a huge person with no self control using a cart the old woman needs. Normally the cart peson can steer out of the way, the old lady cant do much so I have to go around.

As far as the people go, I like to watch people. I like watching how others interact with their environments. Do I hate trailer trash mullet head people? no thats half my family. I do find them entertaining though. Do I hate $200 hair weave ghetto folks? Not at all , entertainment as well.

I guess I did stereotype, it was not meant to be mean, but I am certainly not bigoted. I am very tolerant of their lifestyles, in fact so tolerant I like to observe. A bigot is not tolerant of other veiws. We all fit some stereotype to some degree. I am far from a racist as one can get.

If I personally ofended anyone, your can IM me if you want.

And I stand by what I said, Walmart can be fun and it can be a pain.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I personally think Walmart provides great service to this country... especially for those who have limited financial resources.  Without Walmart a lot of people would not be able to afford a lot of things they need.  Their products may be made in China (but then what isn't) and not the best quality but it is affordable to many people.  

I know four Walmart employees right now.

One is a 73 years old greeter.  He used to be a well respected hematology oncologist that used to work with my father.   They both retired about the same time (2001) and since then he had travelled the world and did things he always wated to do but got tired of it.  He sat around the house doing nothing until he had a minor heart attack.  He decided that he needed a job to give some structure to his live so he got a job at Walmart as greeter.  Nicest and most humble guy you could ever meet.  

Second person I know is a neighbor who is the manager of a store.  She lives alone and works average of 80 hours per week.  I don't know if she takes any vacation but I always see her at the store.  She does get paid well (abour $100,000/yr.) as she paid off her house in just 4 years .

Third person is a 32 years old mentally retarded son of my co-worker.  He works at night as stocker and earns enough to live on his own at a group home and has medical insurance.  He'll never get rich but he is very happy to be employeed.

Last person is my cousin.  He attends university during day and works at night and weekends at Walmart as stock boy in grocery section.  His manager understand he needs some flexability in his schedule for exams and school work so they work around his school schedule.  

Finally don't forget that a lot of original Walmart employees have become wealthy by holding on to their Walmart stocks.  

Walmart may not be perfect but it is providing jobs and products to us.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:35:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

EPOCH

I didnt meant to sound so harsh and wasnt meant to be mean. I just get ticked off when someone who obviously needs to be walking is riding around a cart when my GF mother is trying to make her way around in  walker because she is too polite to ask if she can use a cart. When I am not with her and I go into an aisle blocked by an old lady with walker, I get pissed because usually two aisles over is a huge person with no self control using a cart the old woman needs. Normally the cart peson can steer out of the way, the old lady cant do much so I have to go around.

As far as the people go, I like to watch people. I like watching how others interact with their environments. Do I hate trailer trash mullet head people? no thats half my family. I do find them entertaining though. Do I hate $200 hair weave ghetto folks? Not at all , entertainment as well.

I guess I did stereotype, it was not meant to be mean, but I am certainly not bigoted. I am very tolerant of their lifestyles, in fact so tolerant I like to observe. A bigot is not tolerant of other veiws. We all fit some stereotype to some degree.

Was that hard?

See?  We can all get along.

Except for the Irish.  We won't take the Irish!

I'm sorry man.  Somtimes these stupid arguments make me come out with some equally stupid things.
I'm not hugging you, though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#29]
as stated before
I go there for entertainment also
and its the only thing open at night in this 1.5 horse town
hell think I may go there now I need milk and around 2am there is all kinds intresting people there
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:45:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Wally World sucks I would rather go to Target
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#31]
You mean the "Mom n Pop" gunshops that charge $799 for a Mini-14, and have some pot-bellied fat-assed loser who claims he was in Special Forces in Vietnam and knows all about "pre-bans," and let people smoke in their store??  FUCK Mom n Pop!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#32]
The difference between Sears and Wal-Mart is that when I go into Sears to get some tools or towels, I don't feel sorry for the human race.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:31:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Are we allowed to question this kind of stuff...?

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:41:15 AM EDT
[#34]
I love Wal-Mart.  It's five minutes from my house and the only department store in my little town.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:03:44 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I love Wal-Mart.  It's five minutes from my house and the only department store in my little town.

How many local stores did it drive out of business when it came in?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:33:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Walmart sucks for varying reasons....however I do have necessity to shop there...for they have driven out of business..many decent mom/pop places.

They sell ammo cheap (nice for us) but not nice for the gunshop owner...but why would I pay 12.95 a box for .45 when they have it for 7.00 orw hatever. Only if there is a big difference do I buy it at wally world. If its a dollar or two less, i get it at the gun store..but I don't want them raping me on it.  Forget it for buying guns, they only have some hunting crap which I don't need and can only get parts and guns i want either online or at some limited gun stores.

Walmart works on volume of course. I dread when my wife goes to walmart cause it will always cost me 100 bucks and the store counts on this effect. You go in to buy 1 thing and find 10 other things you want or think you need.  I try and limit my family to me going there for the reason above.

I own a small store as a hobby and walmart sells things cheaper than I can buy them for at wholesale.  Makes it hard for us to compete except we offer a place for people to gather and talk and get service and special orders too.  I have also seen wally world be alot hgiher on somethings just because they think no one else carries it.

As for Sears...I just attended a conference where there was a discussion about money.  Seems that Sears makes MORE money off their credit lines than they do off the items they sell.  No wonder every place offers their own credit card.

As for them hiring useless people..thats pretty much true here except with some of the senior citizens. Those people still have old values and will go out of their way to help you.

Essayons

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:43:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, thanks for that remark.

I have three kids with variing degrees of autism, and, that may well be thier only shot at getting a job.  Not the only one, but, among thier limited choices.

I bet my oldest would probably give eyou a nice smile and, genuinely wish you a good morning.

My kids may be useless in your value, but, they can work, and, that's an option.  Maybe that's why I'm more forgiving.

Ouch. I'm guessing someone feels like an asshole now.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:05:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How many local stores did it drive out of business when it came in?

There are many small businesses here that do not compete directly with Wal-Mart and do very well as well as a lot of other chain stores; Rite Aid, Tru-Value, Ace Hardware.  For department stores folks had to travel over 20 miles to shop.  I do know that the citizens here were very happy to have Wal-Mart come to town.

As an example, if I want primers for loading ammo I have my choice, go a half a mile to Wal-Mart or twenty miles to my closest gun shop.  Aside from not being able to purchase my primers after 6:00 PM I would pay 50% more for them at the gun shop.  It didn't take me long to do the math.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:44:59 AM EDT
[#39]

Wally World sucks I would rather go to Target

...so that you can support that communist limosine-liberal Senator Mark Target, er, I mean, Dayton.

Why am I not surprised that it's you, dpmmn, posting this one?

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:56:43 AM EDT
[#40]
i hate walmart because it is their fault that columbine happened.  at least thats what I learned from michael moore.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:57:32 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

EPOCH

I guess I did stereotype, it was not meant to be mean, but I am certainly not bigoted. I am very tolerant of their lifestyles, in fact so tolerant I like to observe. A bigot is not tolerant of other veiws. We all fit some stereotype to some degree. I am far from a racist as one can get.

If I personally ofended anyone, your can IM me if you want.

And I stand by what I said, Walmart can be fun and it can be a pain.

I love Walmart because no matter how much I think my life sucks, there's always at least someone there I can see that I can think "at least I'm not that guy".
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:59:52 AM EDT
[#42]
they'll call a Code Adam and hold you hostage against your will.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:32:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
i hate walmart because it is their fault that columbine happened.  at least thats what I learned from michael moore.

I thought Columbine was K-Mart's fault.

That is why micheal moore single-handedly ran them out of business.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:39:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:49:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Terrible service, and they treat their employees badly (or at liest they used to)

Talked with an ex walmart auto shop employee.  He said the auto shop paid well and they wre treated better than most of the store.  Anyway, they had a time limit on tickets - all tickets needed to be addressed in 20 minutes of writing.  

One day, with a board full of tickets, the store manager sent his department home (except for him).  Next day he was retromanded for not clearing all the tickets in 20 minutes.   He replied that it was impossible, they sent the entire crew home.  He was told that was not their problem.  He imediatly resigned.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:49:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Because it wouldn't be ARFcom without raw, irrational fear of something.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:02:12 AM EDT
[#47]
I love Wal-Mart. I go there about twice a year and stockup on things like shampoo, soap, toothpaste, tooth-brushes, laundry detergent, toilet paper, dishwashing soap, asprin  etc.....I'll buy like 36 bars of soap and 120 rolls of toilet paper etc.

My bill will be about $200, but I save maybe 25% from what it would cost me if I picked this stuff up at the grocery store when I needed it.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#48]
You know, the only thing I care about concerning Walmart is that I picked up these on clearance: about 3 months ago the last Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 for 150 BUCKS, last Sat. I picked up a Win. Mod. 70 for 250 BUCKS and right after Christmas a Ruger Mod. 77 stainless 243 for 310 BUCKS!!!
I don't think any of them were made in CHINA---lets beat those prices at the local gunstore

When I go to the local gunstores, I am dealing with goobers that don't know any more about guns than the Wallyworld chump---When I ask to see some thing at the local gunstore, I have to waite a few minutes for the idiot to go thru a sequence of action poses with the thing and then listen to some made up story of HIS experience with that particular gun.
When I ask to see something at WM, as long as he can find the key, they just hand it to you and don't say a word.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:37:29 AM EDT
[#49]
I hate Wally World because they will purposefully make sure they have the lowest prices for soemthing, even if they have to take a loss on it, causing mom and pop chains who can't afford such a tactic.

I'd rather goto a Mom and Pop gun store, where the people actually know there guns and could offer insight.   For Wal-Mart its a crap shoot if you get hunter/shooter to answer questions about guns and/or ammo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:40:05 AM EDT
[#50]
hmmm...let's see, TARGÉT contributes 100% to the leftist democraps. WALLY WORLD contributes 100% (or close to it) to family oriented, christian, conservative causes and the founder's son was an sf vietnam vet.

where should i spend my money...hmmm...tough call there.

last time i was dragged to a targét, i saw the same crap made in china, honduras, mexico, etc and i saw the same sullen low life trash working the registers. they were just better dressed...

ETA: mom and pop stores are non existent in my neck of the woods with the exception of some small stores in old towne alexandria and they're so fucking outrageously priced and so fucking pretentious i'd gladly shop wally world to put them outta business...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top