Posted: 6/17/2009 5:03:00 AM EDT
GREAT READ!!!

Yes, bad title, but it's not mine.

oops , forgot link

http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/06/why_do_liberals_bleed.html

June 17, 2009
Why Do Liberals Bleed?

By Robin of Berkeley

I've been thinking about learning how to fire a gun, maybe even buying one.   Now if you are a lifelong conservative, Red State dweller, and NRA member, you might be thinking, "Big yawn.  What's next?  She'll be telling us what she had for breakfast?"

So let me try to convey to you the enormousness, the Alice in Wonderland quality of my even posing the question, something I've never, ever considered in my life.    No one I know owns a gun.  I've never seen a gun (well on a holster of a police officer but I never wanted to get up close and personal with it).   I have given lots of good money over the years for gun control.   Learning to fire a gun seems as ludicrous as deciding to take up brain surgery.

But, I am rethinking absolutely everything.  There is not a single thing that I believed, that I held absolute and holy, that is not up for grabs.   My brain is in a tizzy 24/7 and I don't know if up is down, or if east is west.  

And the thought about a gun just came to me last week when I was listening to talk radio.  A caller related how an armed citizen in the South stopped a take over robbery in a fast food restaurant.   A light went on in my head.    Suddenly I realized that the Red States may be on to something:  the police are strongly supported, the citizens have guns, and, therefore, the gangsters may be a little reluctant to take over the local Burger King.

Contrast that to the Blue States where few liberals own guns, and the police are being emasculated.  You may have heard of the horrendous case in Oakland where four cops were killed by a known felon, on a parole violation for child rape.  But the powers that be in Oakland sent out the message to the police to make nice and not scare the populace, so the officers never drew their guns when approaching this felon.   (Anyone else notice how the Left is slowly but surely disarming the police and military, situation-by-situation?)   When I expressed my heartfelt grief to a friend about the deaths of these brave officers, he said, "The man who shot them was a human being too."

(I'd like to say that, as a psychotherapist, I responded in a sophisticated and psychologically crafty manner.  No such luck.  I almost blew a gasket, turned bright red, and said with barely contained anger, "He lost his claim to be human when he raped a child."  To the friend's credit –– and perhaps some fear on his part –– he shut up.)

So what I realized during the talk show is that in places like Berkeley, only the criminals have the power.  Not only do they have the power of guns, they are supported by several thousand brainwashed zombies who give the green light to criminals because they are the victims of someone else's "privilege" and "supremacy" and "imperialism."  (Although I was a leftist until recently, I was the rare exception:  I never excused crime because of the bad guy's race, creed, age, sex, or daddy being a meanie.)  

I recall vividly what a Berkeley police officer once told me:

"Berkeley is a city of victims.  You try to understand the street people and the criminals and sit down and talk to them and then they hit you on the head and steal your purse.  The police come and then you refuse to press charges.  The criminals know this and prey on you."

And he's right:  almost everyone I know has been a victim of some awful crime, from being in restaurants during takeover robberies (not uncommon here), to being robbed at gunpoint, to being assaulted for no other reason except a thrill for the assailants.   A neighbor, who had lived all over the world, once said to me, "Berkeley is the most dangerous place I've ever lived."  Her husband was robbed at gunpoint as were almost all her friends.  She couldn't wait to get out of here.

I wish I could say I'm an exception to the victim rule.   But several years ago I was coming out of a restaurant in a decent area and was mugged.  As Gavin de Becker states in his seminal book, The Gift of Fear, (which I, unfortunately, read after the fact), victims generally sense when they're about to be victimized but ignore the signs in order to be nice and not judgmental.  This was my situation exactly.  I could tell right away that the guy looked sinister.  But it was a major street, at high noon, and I didn't want to seem racist, so I turned the corner a few feet to reach my car, and a minute later, had my purse stolen as well as all my feelings of being safe in the world.

I'll spare you (and me) the horrible details, but the incident ended with my having a broken nose and two black eyes, and needing surgery for the nose several days later.  People wrote bad checks and stole rental cars in my name for a year afterwards.   I developed a fear not only of people, but of the phone and the mail, as every day was another reminder of what happened.

Witness the response of a left wing friend, Judy, when I told her I was mugged.  She said, and I quote, "I don't think what you went through was so bad.  And anyway he was a victim too."  (Maybe it's a good thing I wasn't armed back then.)  

So I'm asking myself whether I should become armed, and I'm also wondering why so many "educated" people (I might have just answered my own question)  put up with crime infested streets?   Why are the biggest protests against the cops?   Why are the innocent viewed as guilty, and the guilty innocent? Why is no one up in arms about liberals literally bleeding?

Then it occurred to me:  Stockholm Syndrome, the same brainwashing that turned Berkeley resident Patty Hearst into Tania the bank robber.  She was tortured, sexually abused, and kept in isolation by the far left group, the Symbionese Liberation Army (kissing cousins of Bill and Bernadine's Weather Underground).  Successfully brainwashed, she joined their twisted and sick "army."

In the real Stockholm, the hostages were locked in a vault for days, came to "love" their captors in that perverted way that an abused woman loves her husband, and refused to testify against them in court.  One even became engaged to her captor.  

SS (good acronym, huh?) is rooted in a basic, primordial instinct for self protection in the wake of extraordinary trauma and terror.  To survive, the victim identifies with the captors and merges psychologically with them.   But SS takes on a life of its own when victims stop seeing their own humanity and want only to serve the abuser.

Living in places like Berkeley, being force fed propaganda, with police afraid to protect you, your friends unsympathetic, and no one armed, SS can spread like a virus.  What starts out as compassion morphs into complicity. Occasionally there may be someone, like me, who snaps out of the trance they've been in for decades.   After all, Tania woke up and became Patty Hearst again and, interestingly, married her bodyguard.  (I bet that they own a whole lot of weapons.)  But she had to leave Berkeley for a leafy, sheltered life elsewhere to do this.  

But then again, I never bought into the notion of collective guilt, that groups of people are guilty because of the color of their skin, and individuals are exonerated because of some protected victim status.  I'm the rare bird.  In Berkeley, most people are so over identified with their ideology, that their logical, questioning minds have flown the coop along with a God-given knowledge, possessed by every 5 year old, of right and wrong.

As a good, loyal liberal, I always expected others to take care of me.  If I gave my unqualified loyalty to the system, I could sleep well at night.  But now, with victims left bleeding, a dangerously naive government, and sheep like masses, I see the absurdity of my thinking.

I heard a philosopher once say that one of the biggest existential tasks of life is giving up the fantasy of the ultimate rescuer.  Liberalism reinforced this fantasy for me, as it does for so many others.   Now I see the truth:  We come into this world alone, and we will leave it alone. When we live our lives in the back seat of the car expecting Daddy to drive us, we only have a child's view of the world.  

On that very dark day in November years ago when I became an object of someone's evil and inhumanity, I glimpsed a truth I never wanted to see: that there really is no protection, not in the way I had always thought, not by other flawed humans.   I didn't know what to do with this insight until 1 1/2 years ago when I discovered that there were others out there like me, that there was something called conservatism, and now slowly but surely the pieces are coming together for me, one by one.

As I continue on the path to independence and personal responsibility, perhaps looking to myself for protection is another step on my journey.  

A frequent AT contributor, Robin is a psychotherapist marooned in Berkeley.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:08:41 AM EDT
[#1]
IF fecal matter hits the ceiling fan, I am loading up and going to berkley.... good practice over there.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:18:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Good read but I don't think she's that much of a liberal. She even talks about the dangerously naive government. Or maybe she's starting to see the light. I had some liberal leanings up until about 7 to 8 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:20:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good read but I don't think she's that much of a liberal. She even talks about the dangerously naive government. Or maybe she's starting to see the light. I had some liberal leanings up until about 7 to 8 years ago.

That's how I read into it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:23:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Good article –– thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:27:03 AM EDT
[#5]
"When we live our lives in the back seat of the car expecting Daddy to drive us, we only have a child's view of the world."

That sums up lefties very well.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:32:16 AM EDT
[#6]
She has thought it over quite well. But I doubt she will actually take up what she suggests, or at best puts it off indefinitly (I'll go to the gun store tomorrow).

Most "converted" liberals see the protection in the gun itself. "It's in the dresser, closet, basement, etc; therefor I am safe" Not in the fact THEY THEMSELVES will have to make the tool work. Tool meaning both their mind and the firearm. Too few will ever make it to the range often enough to become proficiant. Even fewer will ever obtain a concealed carry permit. Of those who do get the permit, even fewer will carry with any dilligence. Range time, cleaning, picking holsters, formal training, is usually considered too "icky", as firearms are still new, and the mind needs adjusting. The range is considered like a graveyard, as it is only a place they go somberly. As they first practice, they find themselves innaccurate, and get dejected with their sopposed 'lack of skills' or walk away saying "I don't know why I bought this. I am a horrible shot". Many are put off by the fact they can not be accurate on their first try, and go home to place their new firearm in the back of the closet. Some even put it there right after they get home from the gun store. A few realize that the skill of marksmanship is attained by dilligent practice, and practice until they attain the skil, but that is the tiny minority. As I said before, to them, the act of owning the firearm makes them safe. Not having the skillset & mindset in order to be effective with it.

I can not say I would ever hold her in discontent, because she has a slight understanding. But she has quite the path ahead of her if she ever chooses to rationalize her thoughts.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:35:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Did you not read the whole thing? She stated that she found Conservatism. She gets it now.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:39:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think you're right, she is just beginning to come around, at least that was the way the article read for me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:39:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"When we live our lives in the back seat of the car expecting Daddy to drive us, we only have a child's view of the world."

That sums up lefties very well.

+ One
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:49:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I rarely read anything that long, but that held my attention.  Good post.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:57:37 AM EDT
[#11]
It's easier for libs to see the light when they have their eyelids (figuratively) ripped off their faces...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:05:07 AM EDT
[#12]
One of them woke up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:06:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Although I was a leftist until recently, I was the rare exception: I never excused crime because of the bad guy's race, creed, age, sex, or daddy being a meanie.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Her personal philiosophy of life was proven to be profoundly wrong by her experience (the old saying comes to mind, "A liberal is just a conservative who hasn't been mugged or raped yet").

This caused her to live with an overwhelming contradiction: liberal fanaticism vs. real life / world. People generally, can not live for long periods of time with such fundamental contradictions in their lives. She is in the process of resolving those contradictions.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:38:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I rarely read anything that long, but that held my attention.  Good post.

Ever read VDH?

He writes at length, but skewers leftists thinking.

http://www.victorhanson.com/

http://author.nationalreview.com/?q=MjI1MQ==
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:44:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Geezus... there is hope after all.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:48:08 AM EDT
[#17]
The armed southerner she mentions who stops a fast food robbery is AR15.com member DJohn.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
June 17, 2009
Why Do Liberals Bleed?

Contrast that to the Blue States where few liberals own guns, and the police are being emasculated.  You may have heard of the horrendous case in Oakland where four cops were killed by a known felon, on a parole violation for child rape.  But the powers that be in Oakland sent out the message to the police to make nice and not scare the populace, so the officers never drew their guns when approaching this felon.   (Anyone else notice how the Left is slowly but surely disarming the police and military, situation-by-situation?)   When I expressed my heartfelt grief to a friend about the deaths of these brave officers, he said, "The man who shot them was a human being too."

Witness the response of a left wing friend, Judy, when I told her I was mugged.  She said, and I quote, "I don't think what you went through was so bad.  And anyway he was a victim too."  (Maybe it's a good thing I wasn't armed back then.)  

And this is why I (and many) cannot understand the left's mindset.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:49:58 AM EDT
[#19]
False flag op.
Poorly executed too - obvious to anyone objective that she isn't a liberal.
Not enough conflict, and too much hitting of the conservative talking points.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The armed southerner she mentions who stops a fast food robbery is AR15.com member DJohn.

Link?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=10&t=352972&page=1

His first post about the incident is at the bottom of the 2nd page.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
IF fecal matter hits the ceiling fan, I am loading up and going to berkley.... good practice over there.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:53:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Where was this article published?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I used the google and found this:

next step for her is to grab a razor and shave the legs pits and no-no!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:08:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't know who Robin is, but I hope some California arfrcomer takes her to the range and teaches her how to shoot. She's on her way to a huge personal ideological crossroads.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Good read. Interesting point of view from her side. I can't believe that some would consider an attacker a "victim." Victim of what?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:12:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Link to original story?

I need to post this on Facebook.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Link to original story?

I need to post this on Facebook.

as i said a few posts above, and that she now needs to shave her pits ...

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#29]
““I heard a philosopher once say that one of the biggest existential tasks of life is giving up the fantasy of the ultimate rescuer. Liberalism reinforced this fantasy for me, as it does for so many others. Now I see the truth: We come into this world alone, and we will leave it alone. When we live our lives in the back seat of the car expecting Daddy to drive us, we only have a child's view of the world.””

I like that quotation about the fantasy of ultimate rescue.  That blind faith in mommy and daddy epitomizes liberal think, a belief in absolutes.  Absolute good and absolute evil.  Liberals think all sins can be washed away by being caring, compassionate, and giving only coupled with white guilt.  You see all the trappings of a false religion.  A cult almost, as well as an expression of underlying emotional immaturity.  

Perhaps that is why religious people, read predominantly Christian in this country, are more emotionally stable and content.  They are content in the their universe, and have cast off the ultimate rescue fantasy in this world, substituting faith in god and rescue in the next.  Liberals may condemn religion as fantasy and opium of the people, denigrate it as hate encouraging and inhumane,  yet Christian peoples always try and often seem to be more content, forgiving, and willing to give in general.

So if you follow these arguments to their logical conclusion, then LIBERALISM REALLY IS A MENTAL ILLNESS.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Good read. Interesting point of view from her side. I can't believe that some would consider an attacker a "victim." Victim of what?

The white, racist system that forces them into a life of crime due to economic imbalances of the system.

Haven't you been to college?  They say it there ten times a day.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

She is to liberal like Colin Powell is to republican.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
She has thought it over quite well. But I doubt she will actually take up what she suggests, or at best puts it off indefinitly (I'll go to the gun store tomorrow).

Most "converted" liberals see the protection in the gun itself. "It's in the dresser, closet, basement, etc; therefor I am safe" Not in the fact THEY THEMSELVES will have to make the tool work. Tool meaning both their mind and the firearm. Too few will ever make it to the range often enough to become proficiant. Even fewer will ever obtain a concealed carry permit. Of those who do get the permit, even fewer will carry with any dilligence. Range time, cleaning, picking holsters, formal training, is usually considered too "icky", as firearms are still new, and the mind needs adjusting. The range is considered like a graveyard, as it is only a place they go somberly. As they first practice, they find themselves innaccurate, and get dejected with their sopposed 'lack of skills' or walk away saying "I don't know why I bought this. I am a horrible shot". Many are put off by the fact they can not be accurate on their first try, and go home to place their new firearm in the back of the closet. Some even put it there right after they get home from the gun store. A few realize that the skill of marksmanship is attained by dilligent practice, and practice until they attain the skil, but that is the tiny minority. As I said before, to them, the act of owning the firearm makes them safe. Not having the skillset & mindset in order to be effective with it.

I can not say I would ever hold her in discontent, because she has a slight understanding. But she has quite the path ahead of her if she ever chooses to rationalize her thoughts.

The firearm is only a tool. It is a hard heart that uses it.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I don't know who Robin is, but I hope some California arfrcomer takes her to the range and teaches her how to shoot. She's on her way to a huge personal ideological crossroads.

This... I hope some responsible, educated shooter tosses her an invitation to go to the range for a few lessons and a day of shooting. This is exactly the kind of person we want to sway to our side.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Sorry but I think it is bull shit.

The person writing that was never a liberal.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Check out the rest of her work, it's worth reading.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#36]
an anti gun liberal is a gun lover that hasnt been a victim yet
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, it's proof you don't need .223 to get through the head of a lefty.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Then it occurred to me:  Stockholm Syndrome. . . is rooted in a basic, primordial instinct for self protection in the wake of extraordinary trauma and terror.  To survive, the victim identifies with the captors and merges psychologically with them.   But SS takes on a life of its own when victims stop seeing their own humanity and want only to serve the abuser.

I never thought of white guilt that way.  Very interesting.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
GREAT READ!!!

Yes, bad title, but it's not mine.

June 17, 2009
Why Do Liberals Bleed?

By Robin of Berkeley

And the thought about a gun just came to me last week when I was listening to talk radio.  A caller related how an armed citizen in the South stopped a take over robbery in a fast food restaurant.  

I recall vividly what a Berkeley police officer once told me:

"Berkeley is a city of victims.  You try to understand the street people and the criminals and sit down and talk to them and then they hit you on the head and steal your purse.  The police come and then you refuse to press charges.  The criminals know this and prey on you."

I wish I could say I'm an exception to the victim rule.   But several years ago I was coming out of a restaurant in a decent area and was mugged.  As Gavin de Becker states in his seminal book, The Gift of Fear, (which I, unfortunately, read after the fact), victims generally sense when they're about to be victimized but ignore the signs in order to be nice and not judgmental.  This was my situation exactly.  I could tell right away that the guy looked sinister.  But it was a major street, at high noon, and I didn't want to seem racist, so I turned the corner a few feet to reach my car, and a minute later, had my purse stolen as well as all my feelings of being safe in the world.

The thing is, and she touches upon but does not come right out and say it, it is not about the gun it is about mindset, situational aware, and willingness to use the gun to defend yourself.

As someone above posted, the gun is a tool, - You need to recognize the dangerous situation(s) around you, posses the tools (both mental and physical) to attempt to neutralize the threat and be willing to do so.

Obsviously the guy in the restaurant had the above, most people don't.  

Regarding her situation and what Becker says (not having read his book);  I am guessing it is true most people realize what is going to happen or recognize a threat prior to the incident.  She said she recognized she was in a bad spot but basically ignored the clues and what her mind was telling her.  I am willing to bet that if she had really been paying attention to her surroundings that she could have picked up on the situation sooner than she did and given herself more time to react or alter her plan of going to her car.  

Bottom line, the gun won't save you, knowing whats going on around you and identifying threats combined with the mindset and ability to do what needs to be done are more important than having a gun with you.  

If you do have situational awareness and recognize threats before they become imminent you can change your plan/what you are doing enough to get out of a situation before you need to pull out a your gun.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
False flag op.
Poorly executed too - obvious to anyone objective that she isn't a liberal.
Not enough conflict, and too much hitting of the conservative talking points.

+1
Nice read and all well and good but I'm not buying the conversion thing either.  Call me a skeptic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top