Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/12/2013 4:51:55 AM EDT
I assume that most of us went through a DARE program as jr high or high school kids. I know everyone in my area did.

I sat through hours upon hours of lectures, films, etc, about how evil drugs are.

They sat there and listed all the effects of all the different drugs. And yeah, they were pretty bad. The problem is, they also made up all kinds of shit about how bad marijuana is.  They blatantly lied to all of us.

So these kids sat through this class, being lied to about one drug, and as soon as they figured out that they'd been lied to (they had been) they assumed that harder drugs weren't nearly as bad as they'd been told, so they were more likely to try them.

It also teaches kids not to trust the government.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:53:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I agree with this post....
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:55:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I teach a health class to at risk youth. I make sure to be 100% honest because I remember seeing through propaganda and ignoring the rest of the message. If I tell them they are gonna get addicted by smoking 1 joint of MJ they won't believe me when I tell them how dangerous IV drug use is.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:55:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Good point.

In before the 'pot is evil' crowd
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:55:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I always thought it was funny that reagan was shipping in plane loads of coke while his wife was doing the dare thing.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:56:24 AM EDT
[#5]
DARE ruined many many kids. The idiots behind the idea are responsible for a massive lost opportunity.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:56:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Son, I am not disappoint.  

Spot on.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:58:45 AM EDT
[#7]
DARE teaches kids to be informers.

Nobody likes an informer.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:59:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I remember a big display they brought in of the different types of drugs.

I basically looked at it like a checklist of stuff to try before finishing my schooling.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:59:17 AM EDT
[#9]
You are correct sir.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:00:09 AM EDT
[#10]
This same level of thinking is why some parents don't lie to their children about Santa Claus.  The idea being, "if my parents lied to me about the magical present giver, maybe they are lying to me about God too"
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:01:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I assume that most of us went through a DARE program as jr high or high school kids. I know everyone in my area did.

I sat through hours upon hours of lectures, films, etc, about how evil drugs are.

They sat there and listed all the effects of all the different drugs. And yeah, they were pretty bad. The problem is, they also made up all kinds of shit about how bad marijuana is.  They blatantly lied to all of us.

So these kids sat through this class, being lied to about one drug, and as soon as they figured out that they'd been lied to (they had been) they assumed that harder drugs weren't nearly as bad as they'd been told, so they were more likely to try them.

View Quote

we were put through the DARE program as 5th graders. I couldn't comprehend what drugs even were yet really...and I thought the "black market" was a scary back alley place where people got murdered, shot up drugs, and sold these evil things.

Funny how different the reality of all that was.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:02:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

Well, at least it's not a complete waste.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:04:00 AM EDT
[#13]
The "gateway drug" for any unfortunate person with abuse tendency was whatever their parent(s) used, prescription, illicit or otherwise.  Generally, it's alcohol because of its legal 'safe' and widespread use.

Legalizing marijuana would no this country much good.  (I have most of my money tied up in Frito Lay stock.)
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:04:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is terrible, javascript:insertText(''); Poor kids should trust their government. lol
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:06:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had freinds who got  the the "no shit" facts from High Times. Let's face it, both sides of the MJ issue lie and use junk science.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:06:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

NOBODY? I dunno....

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:07:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This same level of thinking is why some parents don't lie to their children about Santa Claus.  The idea being, "if my parents lied to me about the magical present giver, maybe they are lying to me about God too"
View Quote

My wife and I struggled with this and decided to allow the kids to be as knowledgable about the subject as they wanted to be. We don't tell them "Santa doesn't exist" but we don't indulge in the fairy tale either. If one of my sons asks me about Santa or drug use, I intend to be honest. My wife and I also have fundamentally different spiritual beliefs. We don't intend to lead the kids in either direction but, rather, give them the information they ask for about our disparate philosophies.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:08:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The "gateway drug" for any unfortunate person with abuse tendency was whatever their parent(s) used, prescription, illicit or otherwise.  Generally, it's alcohol because of its legal 'safe' and widespread use.

Legalizing marijuana would no this country much good.  (I have most of my money tied up in Frito Lay snacks.)
View Quote

I don't get why they refuse to admit alcohol is very much a drug as is weed. It IS the gateway. And unlike weed it IS addictive and you can in fact die from drinking, unlike teh ebil weedz.
-disclaimer- I dont smoke but know a hell of a lot of folks who do that you would never know that they did. All successful in life and doing well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:11:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Who the fuck still uses the DARE curriculum?  Haven't seen that shit in over a decade.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:12:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's worse. I think it teaches kids not to trust authority, no matter where it comes from. On some level a distrust of authority may be a healthy thing, on another it can be disastrous (in cases like dare).

I don't want my kids boarding a train to the ovens because the guy in the uniform told them too. I don't want them thinking it's OK to smoke crack just because the doctor said it was a bad idea and he's just an arm of "the man," either.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:14:20 AM EDT
[#21]
lol.

"DARE made me try heroin man!   It's not that i'm a just a general fuck-up in almost all aspects of my life"

sure thing, doc.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:15:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Blaming DARE for driving kids to drugs is a stretch. If you already put yourself in a position where you would even consider doing a hard drug, I doubt being a part of DARE would push you one way or the other.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:17:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Blaming DARE for driving kids to drugs is a stretch. If you already put yourself in a position where you would even consider doing a hard drug, I doubt being a part of DARE would push you one way or the other.
View Quote

I think you're missing the salient point, one I think is valid. If you tell kids that doing something will have "x" effect and they learn through anecdotal experience that it isn't true, they mistrust ALL of the message.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:22:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:23:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I tend to think it makes kids interested in drugs at a very young age.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:27:14 AM EDT
[#26]
I honostly don't know if its the program that is bad. It seems like its the instructors that really screw it up for the kids. It's good to see here that it's not all of them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:29:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

we were put through the DARE program as 5th graders. I couldn't comprehend what drugs even were yet really...and I thought the "black market" was a scary back alley place where people got murdered, shot up drugs, and sold these evil things.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also this. I get the starting early thing, but 5th grade is really too early for a lot of kids. It really depends on the area of the kids and their demographics. In the middle of the ghetto, yeah they probably know more than the instructor in some cases. In a "normal" area that you and I grew up in, it just opens up new doors that we weren't yet exposed to and don't understand.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:30:37 AM EDT
[#28]
My high school did a drug awareness class, WELL before DARE.  The cop handed out 2-3 fake joints, got them all back, PLUS two real ones.  Completely blew his mind, LOL...

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:32:09 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm still dumbfounded how many good gun owners on this site believe so strongly in their rights to be so stoned/high.  These must be the gun owners that they talk about who support Obama.  The next person that tries to tell me that marijuana is a natural herb can kiss my dark side.  With that thought then Heroin must also fall within the classification of a natural herb and must be also shared with all of your children as well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:33:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's retarded. When I was kid, we dint think anything like that when we found out Santa wasn't real. We felt privileged to have some secret adult info to lord over the younger kids. Not like our parents were liars..
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:33:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm still dumbfounded how many good gun owners on this site believe so strongly in their rights to be so stoned/high.  These must be the gun owners that they talk about who support Obama.  The next person that tries to tell me that marijuana is a natural herb can kiss my dark side.  With that thought then Heroin must also fall within the classification of a natural herb and must be also shared with all of your children as well.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:33:45 AM EDT
[#32]
when we had the former "druggies" come talk to us my freshman year of high school.....

it went like this:

"So we tried the pot, it was awesome, we laughed and cracked up about all kinds of stuff. Even the news was funny!.

Then someone put some music on, I think it was Pink Floyd - MAN WAS THAT AWESOME!. Then we found the kitchen and ate all kinds of stuff.

We had a great time on the POT.

DON'T do drugs!"

You can imagine what everyone's goal was after that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:33:54 AM EDT
[#33]
All DARE did was teach kids "what's on the menu".
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:34:33 AM EDT
[#34]
agree OP.

this reminds me of an exercise we had to do in the 7th grade where we have to get up in front of the class and convince a peer to try marijuana.

i sold it hard enough the kid said YES. "you're gonna get laid and isn't that gonna be fun? all the cool kids are doing it. come on its not as bad as Officer ______ up there says. he probably smokes it himself, too. they're just putting on a fancy show. now try a puff, will ya? all the kids are gonna be doing it at _________'s birthday party next week and you wanna fit in dont you? you probably wont even get invited unless you do..."

needless to say, I was told I failed that exercise. i'm pretty sure in reality, i passed.

man i was a clever little SOB at that age.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:34:44 AM EDT
[#35]
The DARE officer for my class in middle school cried because of the lack of respect he was given.

Big muscular officer didn't think our class had any hope.

Looking back. He was correct. We lost over 10% to drug ODs.

Good thing I switched schools
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:37:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm still dumbfounded how many good potheads on hightimes.com believe so strongly in their rights to be armed.  These must be the potheads that they talk about who vote Libertarian and Republican.  The next person that tries to tell me that owning guns is OK can kiss my dark side.  With that thought then Assault Weapons must also fall within the classification of the 2nd Amendment , even though we already know there is no legitimate use for them in a society free from gun violence.

See how that works?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:38:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't believe the number of gun owners that think it's ok for the government to criminalize something based on racial discrimination.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:38:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

The point was completely missed by you.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:40:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  We had a Detective from a local PD come in and administer the program when I was in 5th grade.  I lived a pretty sheltered life until then so my perception of drugs, gangs, etc was pretty off.  Luckily, the guy actually kept it interesting and most of us laughing cause he was a pretty cynical bastard.  However, I agree with what a lot of posters have said about this program.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:42:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I think you're missing the salient point, one I think is valid. If you tell kids that doing something will have "x" effect and they learn through anecdotal experience that it isn't true, they mistrust ALL of the message.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In addition, the narrative of "all the cool kids will be doing it but really they are just bad kids" sends the message "if i want to be cool, i can do drugs, even if it means i'll be a bad kid in the process".

The desire to fit in, especially at the middle school level, is so strong, kids will do anything to be perceived as cool, whether that means bullying, doing drugs, stealing, whatever.

It plants the seed that drugs are an acceptable way to rebel.

Anyways, the only druggie fuckups I know are the ones that started in college or after college. All the HS screw ups managed to get it out of their systems (myself included).
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:42:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lying to your children about important issues is never a good idea.
When they grow up and find out you were full of crap, it often doesn't end well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:43:10 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I agree with this post....
View Quote
Same here.

We had "Officer Friendly" lectures and 'Patch the Pony' bullshit.....DARE wasnt around until I was in High School , and by then had already smoked my fair share of ganja

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:43:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was actually making this exact point to a coworker the other day.

As far as teaching them to not trust the gov, that's a good thing.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:44:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:45:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
All DARE did was teach kids "what's on the menu".
View Quote

In High School, we had some DEA agent come talk to us. It was like DARE 2.0.

Among the things I learned were:

* Extacy is the best experience you'll ever have (confirmed that one pretty quickly)
* Meth is so easy to make, your grandma can do it in here backyard (never had a chance to confirm that one)
* Take Adderrall and Ritalin and your grades will go up (not necessarily the best correlation, but there is some truth to it)

And other nonsense.

The guy SOLD more kids on drugs than he did on not doing them.

Oh, the irony.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:48:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm (way) older than the DARE program but there were similar drug education attempts when I was a kid. I vividly remember the film of the kids smoking pot and dropping LSD going to a hot dog stand and the hot dog started talking back to the dopers. At one point the now 6 foot tall hot dog is chasing the kids down the street. In my sick and twisted sci-fi and horror story loving mind I thought that was awesome.
View Quote

Honestly, they need to focus on hard drugs like heroin and meth. Show the rotten walking zombies. Show the vomiting. Show the tweaking. None of that stuff is FUN.

Talking hot dogs? Pretty colors? OMG LOOK AT THE DRAGON! Sounds fun to me.

Don't get me wrong, psychedelics have their own risks, but there isn't a way to communicate the potential negatives of Ego Death to high school kids. Just ain't happening.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:50:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My wife and I struggled with this and decided to allow the kids to be as knowledgable about the subject as they wanted to be. We don't tell them "Santa doesn't exist" but we don't indulge in the fairy tale either. If one of my sons asks me about Santa or drug use, I intend to be honest. My wife and I also have fundamentally different spiritual beliefs. We don't intend to lead the kids in either direction but, rather, give them the information they ask for about our disparate philosophies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy fuck.....

ETA: The holy fuck is for "struggling" over Santa/Christmas. Talk about totally, utterly and massively over thinking things. There is nothing to "struggle" over.

It's mother fucking Santa. If a kids worldview and trust in their parents is wrecked upon finding out about Santa you sucked ass as a parent anyway.

ETA 2: Sorry, don't mean that as harsh as it sounded. I'm just laughing at the idea of two people having a serious conversation about the evils of Santa.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:50:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the most part.   Everyone should trust firemen.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:51:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:53:32 AM EDT
[#50]
meh,, i never did drugs,, went through the whole D.A.R.E. crap and got a T-shirt,, never smoke a blunt or snorted or shot up or whatever the hell its called.

but i never did drugs because of my father, he kept me on the path. i trust my father and he laid it out pretty easy,

dont do drugs...

i have much respect for my father, and the thought of him being ashamed of me for any action i do. still to this day is unbearable,,

never to a hit of anything my whole life..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top