Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 2:46:27 PM EDT
Have a preset time...? We can send a man to the moon, but I still have to stand by the nuker and try to listen for what I think is the last pop to pop. There has to be a better way....

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Look closer at your microwave......

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a lie man....

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It's a lie man....

+1

Popcorn button at home works fine.  Popcorn button at work = burnt crispy popcorn.  You can't take that popcorn on an airplane.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, just tried the button. Shit burnt, and I had to call ADT. Thanx....

HEhehe
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#5]
the popcorn button is bullshit. I listen otherwise it gets burnt. That smell lingers forever
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Have a preset time...? We can send a man to the moon, but I still have to stand by the nuker and try to listen for what I think is the last pop to pop. There has to be a better way....

Sure is.

While you're standing around waiting anyway, get out a cast iron skillet, throw some oil in there, and pop some real popcorn.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
OK, just tried the button. Shit burnt, and I had to call ADT. Thanx....

HEhehe

Guess that'll be one for the Myth Busters!  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Four minutes.
No more. No less.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I also wish they would come up with Hulless popcorn
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Does your microwave toggle through different bag sizes for the presets? Do you know what I am talking about? Check it when you press the popcorn button repeatedly. I have had two three ovens that it that way. Match the number on the display with the popcorn bag size. Simple AND elegant!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Fuck the button, it's bullshit.

A true popcorn connoissuer listens for the pop.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I will file for a patent in the very near future,...but imagine a bag of popcorn that you plug into the cig lighter of your car truck, suv......Few beers, and brilliants emerges...

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Does your microwave toggle through different bag sizes for the presets? Do you know what I am talking about? Check it when you press the popcorn button repeatedly. I have had two three ovens that it that way. Match the number on the display with the popcorn bag size. Simple AND elegant!

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Ditto, mine has 3 settings for bag size and all work perfectly - no burns at all. I swear I think they used the popcorn setting to tune the microwave.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I can never get all the kernels to pop
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
the popcorn button is bullshit. I listen otherwise it gets burnt. That smell lingers forever

No shit, my girlfriend, on average, burns popcorn at least 4 times a month. That smell stays around for days. Even my dog does'nt like it.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#16]
They can't standardize around microwave power settings, that's why.

Back in the day the standard power was around 700 watts.  

Nowadays the standard is closer to 1,100 watts.

But most microwave food is still made to the older standard.  Meaning if you have newer 'wave you will probably burn your food (or at least overcook it) if you go strictly by the instructions.

For a single bag of OR Natural Light (not the beer) the bag says 4 minutes ... my 1,200 watt Sharp will do it in 2.5 minutes.  Anything more and it starts to scorch.

Trial and error is the only way.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I can never get all the kernels to pop

Higher end brands of popcorn usually have lower percentages of unpopped kernels, but it's pretty much impossible to get them all.  If the kernel has any kind of defect in the hull, it won't pop.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Who needs a microwave?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Is your life really that busy you cannot spare the 4 or 5 minutes to pop cheapo popcorn?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I got a hot air popper
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#21]
The magic popcorn button on my Kenmore microwave is the shiznit.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's a lie man....

+1

Popcorn button at home works fine.  Popcorn button at work = burnt crispy popcorn.  You can't take that popcorn on an airplane.

hmm   i ve been on this site too long cause i know what that means,,, and its funny as hell ..
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I tried the popcorn button once on my microwave. Yummy nearly burnt popcorn. The next time I observed how long the popcorn setting was and now I set the timer for 2:20, which is 20 seconds short of the popcorn setting and it's perfect with Act 3 popcorn. I have a stainless Emerson 1000 watts(I think).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top