Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 7:27:30 AM EDT
It's not so much Bush as it is the GOP leadership here in Ohio.

Independent votes are the key to Ohio, as in my county alone, 70% of the population is registered Independent, but will traditionally vote precinct to precinct with whomever the prevailing party winner is.

As if the world couldn't get any more bizarre, the Ohio Republican Party has now endorsed a Democrat in the Ohio Board of Education race! This is the shit that is turning Independent voters away from voting with the Republican ticket.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Daubenmire, a former public school teacher, coach and registered Republican has apparently been given the snub by his own party. The State of Ohio's Republican Party has included an endorsement of State Board of Education candidate Jennifer Stewart - a registered Democrat - on their slate cards which have been mailed to registered Republicans in the following counties: Ashland (part), Athens, Coshocton, Delaware, Fairfield, Guernsey, Hocking, Knox, Licking, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Morrow, Muskingum, Noble, Perry, Pickaway, Richland, and Washington.

This represents District 9 for the State Board of Education.  The endorsement of the incumbent, Jennifer Stewart, on the Republican slate card is curious  because Mrs. Stewart is a registered Democrat.  For most registered Republicans this is an important distinction.

The State Board of Education race is by statute nonpartisan.  There are no primaries in March.  The filing deadline isn't until August.  The Republicans can endorse whomever they please or choose to endorse no one.  The point here is that the recipients of the Republican slate cards have not been given honest information.  In addition, this may cause Republicans across the state to question other nonpartisan races, such as judicial races.

There are three candidates for district 9:

Jennifer Stewart:  current board member, Democrat
Bill Moore: former board member, Democrat
Dave Daubenmire: Republican

All three have responded to the nonpartisan voter survey found at http://www.usavoter.info/

Republicans who have concerns with the State Central Committee's decision to not endorse a Republican on the ballot should contact Gov. Taft at 614-466-3555 and/or their County Republican Party.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Ohio has such a screwed up political system it's not funny.

Logan County here, it's not as bad as most, but could be better.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#2]
You want screwed up? Come here, to Columbiana County, the heart of the Mahoning Valley Rust Belt! The voters here are the ones that put Trafficant on office for, what, 18 years? During polls taken just after he went to jail, most asked said that they would vote for him again if given the opportunity!

I HATE this place with a passion! This ENTIRE PART of the State is so FRIGGIN' LIBERAL it makes me want to puke!

As for voting, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to hold back the puke and vote for Voinivich. There's, literally, no other choice.

Bub
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Tuscarawas Co. isn't to bad.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone else from Tusc.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I see and hear plenty of Bush ads. Radio and TV. Dayton market.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I have to say that it's about dead even for the Dayton and the Cincinnati media markets.

The sign wars are raging hard out in Preble. People have taken shots at sign thieves/vandals. Seems to be even tit for tat on both sides. In general, Preble has deteriorated to a state of pure despotism. Neighbors absolutely hating neighbors. Businesses being vandalized and boycotted. It's both sides.

I will never be so glad to have an election over with.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:12:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You want screwed up? Come here, to Columbiana County, the heart of the Mahoning Valley Rust Belt! The voters here are the ones that put Trafficant on office for, what, 18 years? During polls taken just after he went to jail, most asked said that they would vote for him again if given the opportunity!
Bub

That is an entry tot he voting Hall of Shame, for sure.  Ohio has Traficant and Springer to explain away.
Embarassing.  Not as bad as Chicago area, but bad enough.

Larry
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That is an entry tot he voting Hall of Shame, for sure.  Ohio has Traficant and Springer to explain away.
Embarassing.  Not as bad as Chicago area, but bad enough.

Larry

I grew up in Guernsey County. Traficant wasn't so bad, except for his support for gun control. DeWine, Voinovich, and John Glen are worse. Thankfully, Celeste didn't run any other office.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I had thought it might have been the slowdown in manufacturing. Lots of manufacturing in Ohio and the left does a good job at blaming it on Bush.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Defiance County - Yes, the same Defiance County that the crackhead was caught filling out fake voter registration cards for payment of crack earlier this week. - Ties to the NAACP/Dems.

There are 3 mainstream news channels out of Fort Wayne, 2 out of Toledo, 1 out of Lima, and a christian  news/info channel out of Lima.

*I don't see many Bush or SKerry ads running on the Indiana/Fort Wayne channels, mostly Kernan vs Daniels.

*13 ABC out of Toledo is one of the biggest media markets in Ohio and runs SKerry and Bush ads non-stop, about 50%-50%. 11 CBS runs less ads but is about 50%-50%.

*NBC 35 Lima is a small station and seems to be more of a pro-Bush station than anything else.

*Most local radio stations have no obvious political view point and would take some looking into to see who they support.

The President and Vice President have visited this area many times in the last two years. I would bet that the majority of "undecided" voters in NW Ohio are going to vote for GWB by a small margine of 3/2.

It would be nice to see the president stop by Defiance.

A little more on point, after hearing Mayor George McKelvey of Youngstown come out in support of the President, I would considering backing him for a congressional seat in the future. Being a strick conservative, I do not find that hard to say. Considering some of the reps. in place now.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I had thought it might have been the slowdown in manufacturing. Lots of manufacturing in Ohio and the left does a good job at blaming it on Bush.

I work for a manufacturer and we can't find people to hire who don't have a drug problem or a criminal background.

Hey I just read on Drudge that Ahnold is going to campaign in Ohio in the last week prior to the election. Cool.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Anyone else from Tusc.

I'm below you in Guernsey. Strong Republican area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top