Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/18/2001 6:09:54 PM EDT
Harry Potter??

I am not allowing my 12 year old daughter to watch it.  Why ??  For a lot of reasons but they all come down to Christianity and Faith.  I believe depictions of and contact with the spirit world (Other then the Father, Son and Holy Ghost) are specifically spoken against in the Bible.  My Duties of protection toward my daughter includes Spiritual as well as physical Protection.  I will not allow her to be exposed to a primer on the Occult disguised as a harmless child's fantasy.  

I may be confused about most things but not this.

-Confusion

Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Because it sucks.  I don't mind my children reading fantasy as long as it is better quality than that dreck.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh-boy, you're in for it now... Not from me, but you are still gonna get it, I'm sure [:)]

If my daughter were much younger than she is, I would not allow her to see it, either, and for the same reasons as you - predominantly.  Those being that until a certain age, it is difficult to discern between fantasy, and reality.  Once she was old enough to understand reality and discern that certain elements about the "reality" of the sorcery and magic used in the movie, then I would probably be willing to let her see it - especially if I was along (sometimes I like a good fantasty, too)

As it is now, she is 15, has a good head on her shoulders, and more inportantly, has a real relationship with the Saviour.  Now, she'd just read it as a good fantasy read - not on the caliber, but in a similar vein as LOTR or Chronicals of Narnia (altho, I'd encourage her to real C of N, for reasons that should be obvious)

Heck, [i]she[/i] gets upset at her "freinds" that are in to the whole Harry Potter thing way to much.  But that was a few years ago, some are now beginning to "come out" of it.

She doesn't even want to go see it, for mostly the right reasons... and the fact that it's supposed to be a "cool" thing to do, and she is on an "anti-cool" kick - has been for years!  I lvoe that kid, she's got a good head on her shoulders.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#5]
My mother was pregnant with me at the same time that Lucille Ball was pregnant with 'Little Ricky' on the 'I Love Lucy' show in 1952.

In 1952, the t.v. censors would not let any mention be made of the fact that Lucy was 'with child.' 'Pregnant' was definitely not used, nor was 'in a family way', 'expecting', or any other similar euphemism for pregnant.

Now, almost fifty years later, you can see just how Lucy might have become pregnant if you look on t.v. long enough. My, oh my, haven't we come a long way, baby?

So, just how old does a young girl have to be before she gets her first 'piercing'?

Ask your kids, they'll probably know!

Eric The(OldFart)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Yep, they will know...

Hey, you weren't in Tacoma, WA on Thursday, were you?  There was a guy on the corner that looked just like the pic you posted of yourself (at least you claimed it was you [:)]!

j(The other Old Fart)hasz
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Confusion,

This is a gun pro site and NOT a Christ dick sucking place.

If you are so horizon limited I can imagine how well adjusted your kids will be in the future. Besides the Bible do you have any other books in the house?

Christ made fish and bread from NOTHING when all were sleeping. Why? because He IS the Devil!!!.

One piece of advice:
-do not let your childen near the guns, they are evil.
-do not turn on the TV, evil rays are comming out of it.
-read nothing BUT the Bible.
-kill ALL the non-Christians, they are evil.
-do not surf the net, especially this site since I AM here and I AM PURE evil and will get you.
-start a cult like the Taliban.
-if you children misbehave KILL them, there is evil in them.

Now turn OFF the computer and go read the Bible.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Those being that until a certain age, it is difficult to discern between fantasy, and reality.
View Quote

then i hope you never let your child(ren) read anything but textbooks and never let them watch anything but documetaries on television.  because, let's face it, 90% of children's books and television programming is fantasy of some sort or another.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Confusion,

If you are so horizon limited I can imagine how well adjusted your kids will be in the future. Besides the Bible do you have any other books in the house?

Christ made fish and bread from NOTHING when all were sleeping. Why? because He IS the Devil!!!.

One piece of advice:
-do not surf the net, especially this site since I AM here and I AM PURE evil and will get you.

View Quote

are you naturally such a jackass or do you have to work at it?
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I am not allowing my son to watch it because he is 5 years old and it is too intense for him.  When he gets to be around 10 years old, I will let him watch it.  I certainly wouldn't avoid it for the silly reasons most fundamentalists are avoiding it for.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I will not let my children watch Barney or the teletubbies why ? Because I can't stand them . LOL
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#12]
AR"Lady" (???)

Go back in your cave and shut up.
I just remembered...you are comming to Mesa AZ right ?...another good town is going down the shit hole.

Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Post from VA-gunnut -
This is the kind of thing that scares me about religious fanatics.
View Quote

Oh yeah, that kind of stuff happens all the time! You can tell by all the times when patrol cars are called to churches to break up fights just like the one you described!

Tell me, my friend, just how many times have you heard something like that happening?

C'mon, tell me how many times people fighting over particular Bible passages have resulted in a murder, such as the one you described.

I doubt what you claimed ever happened! More likely, it was the story someone gave to try and justify his murderous conduct!

You're in Virginia, do you physically fear Jerry Falwell? Are you skeered of that preacher man?

Eric The(TheWorldAwaitsYourAnswer)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#17]
You won't let a 12 year old watch Harry Potter??

HAHAHAHAHA!

They read Harry Potter in our school! It's the most popular book for the kids. None have gone home speaking Latin and carving pentagrams on eachother.

Magic is not "evil", nor is it a "primer for the occult". A 12 year old know Harry Potter is NOT REAL! It's a movie based of a popular book series!

Have you even read the books? I'm guessing NO. I always love it when people don't understand something, so it must be "evil".  Your local Christian church tell you to bycott it?

You are a sheep. You fear what you don't understand. And now your daughter is missing out on something that most kids will see. Might as well paste a big "I'm a dork" sign on her shirt before sending her to school.

Av.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Dacon, watch your mouth, boy! You are treading on mighty thin ice. You owe both Jesus and ARlady an abject apology.

Eric The(Well,JesusMayForgiveYou,ButIWon't)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#19]
And to think that I was allowed to watch "The Wizard of Oz" when I was a kid. What a horrible thing my parents did to me. F*cked me all up[;)]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Post from Avalon01 -
Have you even read the books? I'm guessing NO. I always love it when people don't understand something, so it must be "evil".
View Quote

Confusion may raise his daughter in any way he sees fit. If he believes the book is unfit for his family, that is his decision.

Might not be the way you'd handle the situation, but it's the way Confusion has chosen to handle it.

You do believe in parental control of children, I hope? Or do you think a show of hands by the neighbors should be sufficient to remove the child from his control?

And who the hell cares what the other children think about the daughter?

Eric The(ConcernedGrandparent)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I want to add that you have the following sig:

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
View Quote

Ummmm... I don't know where the quote is from, but stories with dragons usually have wizards.

So are you reading up on a primer for the Occult? Or are you finally able to seperate fiction and reality.

Go to the movie with your daughter, and be a Dad. Answer her questions, but try to have fun with her.

Av.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#22]
You have a right to raise your children the way you see fit.  So be it.  However, please ponder this thought: How can you be so certain that you life style isn't considered to be Occult by others?  
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Confusion may raise his daughter in any way he sees fit. If he believes the book is unfit for his family, that is his decision.
View Quote

That's my point! How can he judge if the book is unfit unless he has read it? Or is he blindly making decisions because his local church group says it's bad?

Av.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
AR"Lady" (???)

Go back in your cave and shut up.
I just remembered...you are comming to Mesa AZ right ?...another good town is going down the shit hole.

View Quote

Dacon, remember:
[img]http://www.sinistralrifleman.com/blackjesus.bmp[/img]
View Quote

He is cool looking !
What kind of gun is he packing?
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#25]
There are just too many books out there for anyone to read each and every one. If his church, his priest, his rabbi, his shaman, his brother, or whoever's opinion he trusts tells him that the book is occult, or whatever, he should be able to rely on that advice.

I seriously doubt his church told him that it was a mortal sin to permit his daughter to read it, or to see the movie.

But if it did, then he's entitled to give that opinion whatever weight he wishes!

Eric The(LetParentsBeParents)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Dacon, watch your mouth, boy! You are treading on mighty thin ice. You owe both Jesus and ARlady an abject apology.

Eric The(Well,JesusMayForgiveYou,ButIWon't)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

NOW watch out !
Call your father or any looser in YOUR familly BOY and not me ...is THAT clear ?

I don't believe in Christ and I don't owe any applology to that SOB communist.

ARLady should STOP biting my ass if she doesn't wants hers kicked.

NEXT !...
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Confusion,

One piece of advice:

View Quote

I'll pray for you.
SSD
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, I know you're not describing me! My daughter has been married to the same man for ten years, has a beautiful daughter who thinks that I hung the Moon, and calls me, even though she's 31, to ask my advice concerning just about everything!

So much for overprotection leading to resentment! [i][b]Amor vincit omnia.[/b][/i]

And I wouldn't worry too much about Rev. Falwell - he hasn't killed anyone yet! At least to my knowledge. But you may want to keep an eye on him for your own peace of mind!

Eric The(DidIMentionSheStillGoesToChurchWithMe?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#29]
No, [b]Dacon, boy[/b], it's not clear! HeHeHe. [>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Dacon i think Rob Zombie said it best. "I AM HELL" "I AM HELL"
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Confusion,

View Quote

Ah, but is it an athiest pissing ground, or are you just bad with your aim and missing the toilet?  Unless you are somehow perfect (and your lack of respect for others coupled with your confrontational and rude behavior shows me otherwise) please keep your narcisistic/nihlistic opinions to yourself, boy.  If you don't like being called boy, then have the courage to act like a man.

Good Day.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#33]
The part about being called BOY is that  is comming along with YOU kissing my ASS. Its been done so many times that now my ass has bad breath...
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Avalon01
There is ‘evel with out flesh’ out there. And it would be better that you disbelieve me because you have never seen ‘it’ yourself.

VA-gunnut
Dacon did not say he believed in Christ or God…or much of anything.

rg00red
Or you could say that by not giving them things when young they will appreciate the fruits of there own labors, recognize the sacrifices it takes to secede or keep a nation free...

Decon
You bit first…

Hun
Go baby go…      

OK I'm fare game now.
[:D]
SSD
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you intend to remove any mention of magic from your child's presence, you rule out the Tolkein books (classics), any mention of Arthurian legend (that pesky Merlin guy and all), and even Frosty the Snowman is out ("Must have been some magic in that old top hat they found...).  All things in moderation, I believe would be a better option.
View Quote

The problem with Harry Potter is far more subtle than "your kids will become Satanists."  Much of the problem with HP is the morality that is espoused, albeit subtly, so that even parents aren't catching it.

Believe it or not, there are actually some good, REASONED explainations of the problem with Harry Potter books:

[url]http://www.christianfantasy.net/sdg1.html[/url]
[url]http://www.christianfantasy.net/harrypotter.html[/url]
[url]http://www.lifesite.net/features/harrypotter/obrienpotter.html[/url]
[url]http://www.lifesite.net/features/harrypotter/obrienletter.html[/url]
[url]http://www.familylifecenter.net/html/harrypotter-michaelobrien.html [/url]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And I wouldn't worry too much about Rev. Falwell - he hasn't killed anyone yet! At least to my knowledge. But you may want to keep an eye on him for your own peace of mind!

Eric The(DidIMentionSheStillGoesToChurchWithMe?)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

I'm glad to hear your child doesn't hate you.

As for Falwell.  He isn't a reverend.  The man is the most patently intolerant sack of shit in this state.  I'm a Catholic and take great exception to be called a papist and worshipper of Satan.  If he died a slow, horribly painful death I wouldn't be crying.  May he burn in Hell.
View Quote

this reaffirms my faith in the greatness of religion
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#37]
If I'll put a big cross on a boat and I'll send it to the ocean's open will you follow it please...
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That's my point! How can he judge if the book is unfit unless he has read it? Or is he blindly making decisions because his local church group says it's bad?

Av.
View Quote

Avalon, it's pretty clear from the advertising that the books and movie are about magic and witchcraft.  The Bible specifically details that Christians should stay away from all such things, including magic, witchcraft, numerology, tarot readings, psychics, mediums and any other form of mysticism and demonology.  

Confusion doesn't have to know what Harry Potter does on page 141 to object to the book.  Merely based on it's content it is something anyone who is serious in Christ should stay away from.  And Christianity isn't the only religion that says to stay away from those types of things.  I applaud Confusion for not allowing his children to see it [b]because it means he hasn't abdicated his parental responsibilities like so many other 'parents' have.[/b]  It's your right to disagree with him all you want, but ultimately it's his child.  

He hasn't advocated burning down the theater or boycotting the movie because of his beliefs, so I see no reason why some have tried to label him as a book burner.  That line of thinking runs in parallel with "all gun owners are perverted criminal psychopaths."

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So, just how old does a young girl have to be before she gets her first 'piercing'?

Ask your kids, they'll probably know!

View Quote

Well, being the resident pierced Christain, let me take a stab at it!  [}:D]

For ears, anyone with a piercing gun can perform a piercing without a parents consent, as could anyone with a needle and an ice cube.  For the more exotic stuff (septum, tongue, eyebrows, nipples, etc.), no shop that's licensed and insured will perform it on anyone under the age of 18 years old.  Licensing in the state of Texas requires insurance, just like a tattoo parlor, and I haven't seen an insurer yet that would allow for a procedure to be performed on anyone under the age of 18.

Furthermore, I think it's insanely stupid for anyone to get any sort of piercing like that before they're 18.  If you go to a disreputable shop, you could end up with something as minor as some discomfort or as severe as a serious infection and possibly death.  The BME site has a few horror stories on it.  One girl had to have a mastectomy of one of her breasts after getting her nipple pierced because it was deeply infected.  She's lucky she did not die.  With a tongue piercing you run the risk of piercing a blood vessel in the tongue and bleading to death.  There's also the risk of it swelling too large and choking you to death.

Don't take this as an anti-piercing rant, because I am pierced (septum, tongue, and ears), but I'd never get it done by someone whom I didn't feel was a qualified professional.  I know to some that seems like a paradox, but the only people I've ever let put needles into me have had years of practice and had a perfect reputation in the piercing community.  Like all big things I do in my life, I reasearched it in detail.

Sorry to get off on a tangent...

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#41]
My main concern is if this guy really is this big of a freaknut and if so I truely feel sorry for the children he raise. They must certainly not be allowed to hear word of Santa or the Easter Bunny, Peter Pan, or all the other fantasy and fairy tale or super hero types out there. And if you dont like them hearing anything about "magic" or occult stuff then i wonder what your kids think when you try to explain some dude parting the red sea or making wine or bread and raising the dead and so on? I also wonder if this guy is serious or if he is just yanking our chains to get a good heated thread going?
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Well I guess I am an Epicurian.  I don't believe in the bible, though I do think there is *something* out there.  Hell, we would have been gods 2000 years ago, so it's kind of a matter of perception.  I'm pretty sure that when I die I am either going to find out what is out there, or I feed the worms.  Just gonna have to wait and see what happens there.

As for Harry Potter, sure I would let my kids see it (if I had kids that is).  One, it is entertaining even though it is British.  Two, it does show a boy that lives in a craphole of a family life come unto his own as a wizard.  Three, it is freaking FANTASY!  Get over it.  Sure it doesn't support the bible, neither did Jurassic Park or Star Wars.  People sure as hell didn't spend that much money to watch the last truly religeous film that hit the theaters (when was the last one?).  People need entertainment, they need escape.  

There's nothing wrong with fantasy.  Forcing a persons thoughts to be completely saturates, as with some religious fanatics, comes dangerously close to brainwashing.

There's nothing wrong with religion.  I just truly don't believe everytime a wizards/warriors/dungeons/dragons flick comes out the church should call for it to be boycotted by the public.  Have a little more faith in your follower's faith.  It almost seems as if the church doesn't want to let you think critically about what they teach you.

Now two things have happened:

The religious people look on me as the Anti-Christ.

The non-religious people have already stopped reading by now.

Sometimes you just shouldn't post right before bed...
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Post from rg00red -
If he died a slow, horribly painful death I wouldn't be crying. May he burn in Hell.
View Quote

Tsk, tsk, that's [u]not[/u] what the Church teaches now, is it? Rev. Falwell's not my cup of tea, but he's not a murderer now, is he?

Eric The(Don'tRiskBearingFalseWitness)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those being that until a certain age, it is difficult to discern between fantasy, and reality.
View Quote

then i hope you never let your child(ren) read anything but textbooks and never let them watch anything but documetaries on television.  because, let's face it, 90% of children's books and television programming is fantasy of some sort or another.
View Quote

No, it's actually not the fantasy so much that I would object to - and again remember this is based, not on her age today, but if she were say 10 or 12 - or maybe 8.  There are other things that I would have felt uncomfortable with, that my faith would direct me to sheild her from until such a time as she could discern teh truth from it.

Sheesh, I don't know why I'm explaining this [b]again[/b], ARlady - I thought I had made my position fairly understandable.

I'm not saying she couldn't go [i]now[/n] - since she has grown in her own understanding and faith.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 3:03:22 AM EDT
[#45]
My kid is more interested in Taekwondo, shooting and football.  If he were interested I probably wouldn't allow it.  I also wouldn't allow him to watch a movie/TV show that reflects homosexuals, drug users, gang bangers and left wingers as the "good guys."

Eddie
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 4:43:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I usually don't go into this kind of thing but by you using christianity as an excuse to keep things from your kids is a little hard to swallow. When is the next book burning down there.
View Quote

This mentality just cracks me up.

Since a parent chooses NOT to let their young impressionalbe children see something the parent believes to be harmful, that EQUATES TO BOOK BURNING?????

I suppose not letting your children play in the middle of the street makes you anti-automobile as well. [rolleyes]

I am gonna HAVE TO talk with my pastor. I been going to church for 30+ years, and we ain't NEVER had a book burning. NEVER. I guess we ain't very good Christians. I feel like I have missed out.

Can anybody recommend me any good book burners websites?? I have SOOO much to learn 'bout bein' a "good" Christian.

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 4:45:00 AM EDT
[#47]
We are pagans, so my kids were first in line for Harry Potter, they had a great time.  I enjoyed the movie also.

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:15:24 AM EDT
[#48]
"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, 'This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know,' the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives."
--Robert. A. Heinlein
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Would I let my kids see Harry Potter? I guess it'd be lockstep with would I let them read the books. Depends on two things:
1) As I've not read the books, I would read them first to get a grasp on the messages and themes of the story, to determine if they were acceptable (things like doing the right thing, treating people with respect, accepting responsibility for actions, self-respect, and other positive things)
2) Are my children mature (not old) enough to understand and separate fiction and reality.

I have to say, aside from certain posters who seem to give atheists a bad name, I almost feel like I've walked into a Chick Tract. And I guess I'm going to hell, seeing as I read an enormous amount of sci-fi/fantasy, as well as that D&D stint that lasted through most of my adolescence. And yes, I have faith, attend weekly Mass, and have read the bible. And while I don't consider myself an authority on the subject, I do not believe that these things would be wrong, inasmuch as one does not supplant their faith with them, and understands that they are not real. I managed 11+ years of D&D without becoming a satanist or losing my faith. I also don't believe that Rand al'Thor is the Savior. I know the difference, and I think that is the important part.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:47:42 AM EDT
[#50]
All three of my girls, ages 13, 15 & 17, have now seen the movie & the youngest is in love with the books.  They can distinguish reality from fantasy quite well.  The youngest is irritated that the movie didn't follow the book closer.  These are the kind of kids that argue with the television!  I've seen others that watch passivly, slack-jawed almost.  Not this crew.  It's funny to hear them correcting some talking head about guns.

We went to church services Sunday morning and Sunday night, they were at church, in youth group.

Fiction & the church are not incompatable.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top