Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/10/2018 9:39:15 PM EDT
I overheard a conversation between a couple city officers today about how CO's aren't even real cops and firefighters have more credibility than a CO. I almost said something but chose to keep my mouth shut.

I know they sit in a little bit of legal limbo with not being able to effect an arrest but they are tasked with babysitting all the shit birds that the "real cops" put away. They get left in a tier with no weapons, no body armor and try and make it through the day surrounded by what society throws away.

So what gives? Why the hate on CO's? And before anyone asks, yeah, I got hired at a prison. Not a lot of job opportunities where I am and the "real cop" jobs arent open to me because I have a visible tattoo....auto DQ at all departments in the area I moved to.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:47:31 PM EDT
I'd say the hate in general is rooted the same as all competitive aspects... You want your team to be the best, so you seek to belittle all other teams. Even if they are on the same side. A guy on a full time SRT/SWAT thinks less of patrol officers (possibly). Its human nature.

But on the other hand, there is an obvious lower standard to become a CO. I'm positive there are bad to the bone COs that could show up LEO... in general though the standard is lower, so the average CO shows that lower standard.

Just my opinion though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:50:56 PM EDT
Here county prisons are staffed by sheriff deputies. Maybe that’s different depending on state because I don’t recall county prisons in PA being staffed by deputies.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:52:12 PM EDT
In some states correctional officers have full police powers
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:53:54 PM EDT
It might be real cops do investigative work, direct traffic, unlock car doors, buy little old ladies groceries, patrol alone, and supply DOC fresh meat.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:35:35 PM EDT
The real question is why concern yourself with it?

Congrats on getting the job, not many have the courage to go do it given the amount of shit CO's put up with, including the topic of this thread.

My son gave DOC two years before he went Air Force, I admired his attempt to make a go of it but FLDOC has serious leadership issues. Same with my daughter, she gave it a go years ago. My son-in-law just bailed from FLDOC after 11 years... he gave it all he could. Unfortunately our agency prohibits family from getting hired or both my son and SIL would be where I'm at now.

My advice... give it a chance as not all FLDOC institutions are as fucked up as the one I'm familiar with. Punch your ticket, do your time, then explore a county Jail.

Avoid getting compromised... there's a good chance you will be asked to sign documents you did not prepare, say you did/saw things you did not... a VERY COMMON inner-institutional problem in FLDOC that will get your ass in a sling faster than you can imagine. Some of the "suggestions" to do so will be quite subtle... pay attention... identify those who value their career and stick with them.

Again, congrats and stay safe.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:55:09 PM EDT
Because in FL, most COs have lower standards than LEOs. The running gag with FL DOC is the only difference between a inmate and a correctional officer is the color of their uniform.

Also some don't have powers of arrest.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:52:47 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
Because in FL, most COs have lower standards than LEOs. The running gag with FL DOC is the only difference between a inmate and a correctional officer is the color of their uniform.
View Quote
Well fuck my life, that makes me feel just awesome inside.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 12:12:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:

Congrats on getting the job, not many have the courage to go do it given the amount of shit CO's put up with, including the topic of this thread.

My son gave DOC two years before he went Air Force, I admired his attempt to make a go of it but FLDOC has serious leadership issues. Same with my daughter, she gave it a go years ago. My son-in-law just bailed from FLDOC after 11 years... he gave it all he could. Unfortunately our agency prohibits family from getting hired or both my son and SIL would be where I'm at now.

My advice... give it a chance as not all FLDOC institutions are as fucked up as the one I'm familiar with. Punch your ticket, do your time, then explore a county Jail.

Avoid getting compromised... there's a good chance you will be asked to sign documents you did not prepare, say you did/saw things you did not... a VERY COMMON inner-institutional problem in FLDOC that will get your ass in a sling faster than you can imagine. Some of the "suggestions" to do so will be quite subtle... pay attention... identify those who value their career and stick with them.

View Quote
IM sent
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:36:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2018 7:38:12 AM EDT by Miami_JBT]
Originally Posted By Bronze:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
If you're a CO... sorry man. Just pointing out the reasons.

I know a number of COs that are good guys, great actually. But I also know some that make the worst patrol cop look like Officer of the Year.

My experience with FL DOC and MDCR is not positive when it came to the intake/booking/general CO. A lot of them were hired because of the lower standards due to their questionable backgrounds. Also a number of them have been arrested for a lot of stupid shit.

A number of their Command Staff were smart as hell and well rounded. Some of the "beat level" guys were too. But the truth is the truth.

Now, with some of the rur Sheriff's Offices in FL. That is different.... they aren't Corrections Officers. They're deputies assigned to the jail. Usually when they first get hired and wait for a slot to open up in patrol.

But the larger areas.... lower hiring standards usually for COs.

Pay also advertises that.

FL DOC paid their COs something like $12-$13 an hour. They recently fought the legislature for a pay increase to attract better candidates.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:39:01 AM EDT
IM sent
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:

IM sent
Listen to Bowhntr6pt....

FL DOC has a wide range of problems.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:42:29 PM EDT
In PA state CO's have no police powers. There are good and bad people just like any other job. Outside of the State Police you can make more money in prisons than most cops make. I know a lot of CO's who consider 100k a low year. CO's are their own worst enemies when it comes to their public image.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:11:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2018 8:13:55 PM EDT by Towely]
Hope you end up with some solid officers running your institution but in my experience a LOT of CO's earn that reputation and it unfortunately sticks to all CO's.

Piss poor inconsistent leadership, many of your direct supervisors(usually Sgts) will make your job harder than the inmates do.

The atmosphere inside the walls is toxic as fuck and it eats away at the CO's until most just end up with an "F it" attitude.

When I got out a few people here questioned why I would give up that state pension to go work in the trades. I questioned the sanity of anyone that have to ask such a thing after experiencing that job first hand.

On the flip side I did work with a few awesome CO's that absolutely loved their job... hopefully you're one of those individuals. Find the right group among your peers and gravitate towards them. Get to know people so when openings for different shifts/positions come you know who to avoid.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:37:43 PM EDT
Biggest problem we have with CO's around here is they try to flash their badge around to get professional courtesy, or embellish their position to brag to others about stuff they're not. Guys getting pulled over on traffic in their POV driving way too fast then asking the Officer for a warning and badging them. I met a girl at a bar who said her husband was on our agency's SWAT team. Only problem was, I was on that team ... and he wasn't. When I went and talked to him about it, he said "No, I'm on the jail tactical team". Wasn't the first time we had heard that, and obviously not the first time he had told that lie.

Another problem, the age and experience to get into corrections is much lower, so you have a lot of immature people who get involved and then make dumb decisions. IA is full of complaints against CO's for off duty activities. One of our CO's was fired after he shot and killed a Lt. from a large prison gang .... in his living room, after they had done too much coke together and then the CO was mad because the other guy was railing out his wife.

Another problem, CO's at our agency (once they graduate the basic peace officer school) go through a short program and then are allowed to work off duty. Then when it comes to use of force they don't have a damn clue what to do because they have no real experience outside of the academy. Any street cop will tell you, you didn't know shit until you got out of your FTO program, and even then you were just scratching the surface.

So yeah, combine that all together ... CO's get a bad rap. Unfortunately, some fuck it up for everyone.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 12:53:18 AM EDT
There's many reasons COs get a bad rap, and it's been going on for decades. To begin with, look at TV and movies - cops have good shows all over the place, same with firefighters and EMS. COs are invariably portrayed as corrupt, inept, or both. The "real" jail programs are junk - you will never see that many staff in class A uniforms without cameras around. You would be surprised how many former street cops I have had working for me over the years - 16 years behind the wire, 13+ of that as a supervisor, currently a LT/Shift Commander. So I can say I've seen the best and worst, I've seen staff sacrifice themselves to save others, (one was a sgt carried out, beaten and bloody, saving a CO from being kicked to death on a chow hall floor. I was there.), and I've seen staff walked out in handcuffs for bringing in dope and cell phones. Since we changed the law to make bringing in phones and other electronic media a felony, that has dropped somewhat. I've seen staff working in blood lapping at the leather uppers on their boots, and I've found staff asleep at their posts. I've had staff bust tail for 16 hours straight without complaint and some who have to go home early for a hangnail. All in all, the number of good staff I have had over the years has far outweighed the bad, hard working men and women who know that everyone on the outside spits on us and our badge. The news media never says a word when we are doing things right, only when we have bad things happen.
Some resent the privileges that street LE get and I tell them, if that's what you want, go get POST certified and do it yourself. Some do - we are sworn state personnel, but we are NOT peace officers. Much of our training covers surviving inmate games and the general chaos that can happen behind the wire. One thing i absolutely HATE is "professional courtesy". Yes, some of our staff have been given that when caught speeding, or violating other traffic laws, and I always have said, we should be held to a higher standard, not a lower one. My staff are held to a higher standard, and they are proud of the fact that we have the best record in our unit for practically everything. I do my best by them and they do their best by me. As for money, yes, HUGE issue, no raises in 12 years and with Red For Ed taking over things it is likely by the time we get a raise it will be because minimum wage has finally overtaken us. I have actually had more pay cuts than raises, only way to get a permanent raise is to promote. Again, the media hates us and loves to protray us as lazy good for nothings who just suck at the state teat. My answer always has been, without us, cops can do two thing, shoot people and issue tickets.
People look down on us and what we do - we do a job 99% of the state would run out screaming rather than do, so it's all good.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 12:57:42 AM EDT

... "real cop" jobs arent open to me because I have a visible tattoo....auto DQ at all departments in the area I moved to.
View Quote
...but instant rapport with the inmates.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 1:13:15 AM EDT
My DOC buddy has a hell of a commute to his job. He gets pulled over frequently in the AM on the way to work at ludicrous speed. When the officer approaches him and sees his "badge" he says have a nice day and carry on. So there's that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:26:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DoctorNo:
Biggest problem we have with CO's around here is they try to flash their badge around to get professional courtesy, or embellish their position to brag to others about stuff they're not. Guys getting pulled over on traffic in their POV driving way too fast then asking the Officer for a warning and badging them. I met a girl at a bar who said her husband was on our agency's SWAT team. Only problem was, I was on that team ... and he wasn't. When I went and talked to him about it, he said "No, I'm on the jail tactical team". Wasn't the first time we had heard that, and obviously not the first time he had told that lie.

Another problem, the age and experience to get into corrections is much lower, so you have a lot of immature people who get involved and then make dumb decisions. IA is full of complaints against CO's for off duty activities. One of our CO's was fired after he shot and killed a Lt. from a large prison gang .... in his living room, after they had done too much coke together and then the CO was mad because the other guy was railing out his wife.

Another problem, CO's at our agency (once they graduate the basic peace officer school) go through a short program and then are allowed to work off duty. Then when it comes to use of force they don't have a damn clue what to do because they have no real experience outside of the academy. Any street cop will tell you, you didn't know shit until you got out of your FTO program, and even then you were just scratching the surface.

So yeah, combine that all together ... CO's get a bad rap. Unfortunately, some fuck it up for everyone.
View Quote
In FL, it is the same age to start. 19
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:23:59 PM EDT
Not a lot of job opportunities where I am and the "real cop" jobs arent open to me because I have a visible tattoo....auto DQ at all departments in the area I moved to.
View Quote
You moved to the area, you can easily move out of it. Plenty of agencies don't care about tattoos anymore.

Clearly you want to become a cop instead of a CO but it seems that your trying to justify your current job. Look at big departments in your area, apply-get hired-get your certification, and move on to a smaller agency. The applicant pool is thinning out, places love hiring already certified guys with experience around me.

I worked in the BOP after getting off active duty for 3 months until I jumped on a cop job. I tested and they finally called with the offer just as I was about the enter the doors to start my 3-11 shift. I went straight to the LT and quit on the spot and started at my agency on the following Monday.

In my area, none of the CO's are certified whatsoever. They get hired, get a week orientation, and are let free. That's the reason they aren't viewed at LEO's.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 6:03:39 PM EDT
A week? That's ridiculous. We have a 7 week Academy, (was 9, then budget cuts), that has to be passed plus 30 days OJT when new staff arrive on the unit.Whatever agency you worked for was rinky dink.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 6:19:41 PM EDT
In my state POST defines COs and DOs as LEOs but the slang term “cop” has a whole different meaning associated with patrol duty. I think a lot of guys wouldn’t even consider Fed LEOs to be cops.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 6:21:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By armoredman:
A week? That's ridiculous. We have a 7 week Academy, (was 9, then budget cuts), that has to be passed plus 30 days OJT when new staff arrive on the unit.Whatever agency you worked for was rinky dink.
View Quote
With your guys pay crisis and every agency in metro Phoenix hiring anybody who can pass backgrounds (and still not filling classes), you guys have to be hurting for recruits.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 6:51:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2018 7:00:51 PM EDT by ban-hater]

View Quote
Stereotyping from an LEO, that's a bold move Cotton.

They have lower standards so states and counties can pay em shit and get away with it.
I hear LEOs say often what bad situations their in how most couldn't handle it and I think imagine being surrounded by dozens of guys who wanna do nothing but degrade your work all shift? I have nothing but respect for both COs and LEOs, unbelievable work for shit pay.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:09:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ban-hater:

They have lower standards so states and counties can pay em shit and get away with it.
I hear LEOs say often what bad situations their in how most couldn't handle it and I think imagine being surrounded by dozens of guys who wanna do nothing but degrade your work all shift? I have nothing but respect for both COs and LEOs, unbelievable work for shit pay.
View All Quotes

Have you worked in any type of corrections of detentions? Because a lot of the officers I work with really are the same as the inmates we supervise. They're from the same neighborhoods, grew up running the same street, hanging out with the same people and doing the same stupid shit. They just didn't get caught. At least not as often. They bring that same culture with them into the jail.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:17:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2018 7:25:51 PM EDT by uglygun]
Known too many CDC types that are not a hell of a lot different "culture" wise than the convicts they occupy space with for 12 hours out of the day babysitting.

Then there are the little things like the difference between power of arrest for cops versus being purely a custodial setting for CDC/DOC.

Then there is the crap they pull on traffic stops where they try to get a badge pass for their shit. "You are not really gonna cite me brother?"

That kinda mentality gets them knocked down a few pegs and they still get some consideration/"professional courtesy" shit too.

There are good ones within CDC/DOC but a lot of ones that wouldnt make it through backgrounds for LE agencies as well. I know a few real tards when it comes to retired CDC, read liberal ideology open borders type tards
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:28:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By uglygun:
Known too many CDC types that are not a hell of a lot different "culture" wise than the convicts they occupy 12 hours out of the day babysitting.

Then there are the little things like the difference between power of arrest for cops versus being purely a custodial setting for CDC/DOC.

Then there is the crap they pull on traffic stops where they try to get a badge pass for their shit. "You are not really gonna cite me brother?"

That kinda mentality gets them knocked down a few pegs and they still get some consideration/"professional courtesy" shit too.

There are good ones within CDC/DOC but a lot of ones that wouldnt make it through backgrounds for LE agencies as well. I know a few real tards when it comes to retired CDC, read liberal ideology open borders type tards
View Quote
I keep seeing this brought up and I 'd like to point out that some agencies (mine included) require that employees provide department ID during any interaction with LE. I don't really like it as it can come across as asking for special treatment but to follow my general orders I have to do it.

It also got me out of an expensive speeding ticket one time.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:35:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BIgDAM:
I keep seeing this brought up and I 'd like to point out that some agencies (mine included) require that employees provide department ID during any interaction with LE. I don't really like it as it can come across as asking for special treatment but to follow my general orders I have to do it.

View Quote
Big difference between letting the officer approach and do his greeting/OD request while waiting for your chance to say "hey my dept requires me to identify and present dept ID"...

Versus interrupting and essentially having the "why are you bothering me" attitude or first thing out of their mouth being "come on.... don't you have somebody else more deserving to cite brother"...
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:38:53 PM EDT
CO's here are Sheriff's Deputies. Have full power of regular Deputies. Which have more jurisdiction than city cops.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:13:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2018 8:21:39 PM EDT by ban-hater]
Have you worked in any type of corrections of detentions? Because a lot of the officers I work with really are the same as the inmates we supervise. They're from the same neighborhoods, grew up running the same street, hanging out with the same people and doing the same stupid shit. They just didn't get caught. At least not as often. They bring that same culture with them into the jail.
View All Quotes

Yes I currently do. As for "Not in jail/prison cause they didn't get caught argument" .....everyone on this forum could've went to jail/prison for something at least once in their lives.
Also, don't all creatures emulate their surroundings at some point?
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:18:35 PM EDT
Big difference between letting the officer approach and do his greeting/OD request while waiting for your chance to say "hey my dept requires me to identify and present dept ID"...

Versus interrupting and essentially having the "why are you bothering me" attitude or first thing out of their mouth being "come on.... don't you have somebody else more deserving to cite brother"...
View All Quotes

Yeah I could see the second situation not turning out well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:26:29 PM EDT
Yes I currently do. As for "Not in jail/prison cause they didn't get caught argument" .....everyone on this forum could've went to prison for something at least once in their lives.
View All Quotes

Yes I currently do. As for "Not in jail/prison cause they didn't get caught argument" .....everyone on this forum could've went to prison for something at least once in their lives.
While everyone has broken the law, most people have some concern about the legality of their actions. I see many that have zero concern.

I'm not talking about emulating their surroundings. It's officers identifying more with the inmates then they do with the position they hold. Many times it's an issue of racial solidarity.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:13:53 PM EDT

View All Quotes

I worked corrections once too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:14:32 PM EDT
View Quote
Seen it enough that an inmate is a "cousin" of a CO.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:55:05 PM EDT
View All Quotes
We had a captains son in the jail once. Also a county commissioner a couple times and one police chief's son. Got to love Dem strong holds.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:59:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

With your guys pay crisis and every agency in metro Phoenix hiring anybody who can pass backgrounds (and still not filling classes), you guys have to be hurting for recruits.
View Quote
I get new staff on my shift every month. We need more people and a BIG raise, but we ARE getting them in. We also have the Correctional Trainee program now where 18-21 year olds can start working in control rooms, no inmate contact, learning the job, and if they like when they turn 21, off to the Academy. $30K a year to start with benefits and retirement, start at 18, fully retire at 43.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:04:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2018 11:05:15 PM EDT by armoredman]
View Quote
I've been doing this for over 16 years and that's a load of bullshit. The VAST majority of the sworn officers I have worked with and have worked for me are good, solid people inside and out. I have seen stupid, venal and corrupt, but I see that in every walk of life, street cops too, or does Rampart not ring a bell? So no, I don't buy that, not in any of the 7 different units I have worked.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:22:08 PM EDT
Come to Michigan.

Hurting for qualified candidates.

Starting pay is $40-47k depending on department and most PDs in Metro Detroit area top out $65-80k. Then add in OT and you can quickly eclipse $100k.

Tats aren't an issue around here anymore...unless they're problematic tats...like a BIG swastika or something....
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 6:25:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2018 6:33:30 AM EDT by pr24guy]
View Quote
Ours is four months and full Peace Officer Status. Only thing that wasn't taught is Motor Vehicle Code. I retired five years ago, so that may have changed since I noticed they are trying to get the title Correction Police made official.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 6:39:17 AM EDT
Biggest problem we have with CO's around here is they try to flash their badge around to get professional courtesy....
View Quote
We got that all the time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 6:51:31 AM EDT
Biggest problem we have with CO's around here is they try to flash their badge around to get professional courtesy.
View Quote
The BOP doesn't even give out badges and by no means am I going to flash the laminated computer printed out ID they give us. Its a job, not a lifestyle. I don't even like telling people where I work, they just know Im a therapist somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 7:05:55 AM EDT
I've been doing this for over 16 years and that's a load of bullshit. The VAST majority of the sworn officers I have worked with and have worked for me are good, solid people inside and out. I have seen stupid, venal and corrupt, but I see that in every walk of life, street cops too, or does Rampart not ring a bell? So no, I don't buy that, not in any of the 7 different units I have worked.
View All Quotes
Come to FL.... specifically South Florida.... you'd be amazed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 1:25:46 PM EDT
Not in PA, just a picture id.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 1:51:09 PM EDT
Here in Texas Police officers are TCOLE certified (the old TCLOSE). Correctional officers are not so they are not Police Officers. The County Jail uses SHeriff's Deputies, but the ones in the jail are usually not certified TCOLE certified like the patrol officers.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 4:09:29 PM EDT
While everyone has broken the law, most people have some concern about the legality of their actions. I see many that have zero concern.

I'm not talking about emulating their surroundings. It's officers identifying more with the inmates then they do with the position they hold. Many times it's an issue of racial solidarity.
View All Quotes

I can see that. Some feel they develop a better rapport by dropping to the inmate mindset. Which almost always backfires.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 5:29:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MOMIL:
Here in Texas Police officers are TCOLE certified (the old TCLOSE). Correctional officers are not so they are not Police Officers. The County Jail uses SHeriff's Deputies, but the ones in the jail are usually not certified TCOLE certified like the patrol officers.
View Quote
There is a TCOLE Jailer certification. Any jail with more then a certain number of beds is required to have TCOLE cert. jailers. Even the deputies that work in the jail usually have the jailer cert on top of the peace officer cert.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 6:25:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By pr24guy:

Ours is four months and full Peace Officer Status. Only thing that wasn't taught is Motor Vehicle Code. I retired five years ago, so that may have changed since I noticed they are trying to get the title Correction Police made official.
View Quote
That would be nice and congrats on retirement. The only thing we are POST certified in is firearms.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 1:42:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Cjones124:

You moved to the area, you can easily move out of it. Plenty of agencies don't care about tattoos anymore.

Clearly you want to become a cop instead of a CO but it seems that your trying to justify your current job. Look at big departments in your area, apply-get hired-get your certification, and move on to a smaller agency. The applicant pool is thinning out, places love hiring already certified guys with experience around me.
View Quote
Actually I cant move out. We just recently moved to FL for my wifes job. Shes the brains of the operation, I just lift heavy things so I am stuck working in the area I am in.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:25:13 PM EDT
I think the biggest knock against corrections officers is the lack of formal training and authority on the street.

Corrections academy training is a joke. As mentioned in this thread, some as short as a week and the longest academy mentioned is 7 weeks???

The Federal Bureau of Prisons does 3 weeks at FLETC and then they do OJT in the cage with the animals.
My agency does 6 months at FLETC... Even the "Basic Police" class at FLETC is now 10 weeks. 10 weeks at a full time live in 40-45 hours a week academy for the bare minimum course to be labeled as a Fed LEO.

3 weeks is barely enough time to get the basic firearms training, driving and processing classes done.

Now some places have the Sheriffs running the jails, they pay their dues in the cage, then later if they are worthy, they get to go out on patrol. Many of those departments go through the same academy, but even some of those only do a bare minimum, and then before they are street certified they go through additional training... Those guys normally get a little more respect than the regular Corrections Officers.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 11:27:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By NYresq1:
I think the biggest knock against corrections officers is the lack of formal training and authority on the street.

Corrections academy training is a joke. As mentioned in this thread, some as short as a week and the longest academy mentioned is 7 weeks???
View Quote
DOC academy here is 10 weeks
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:57:19 AM EDT
View All Quotes

CJSTC allows crossover from CO to LE if you take the additional required courses.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:30:59 PM EDT
View All Quotes

NJ is a four month live in academy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top