Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2008 7:58:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2008 8:07:58 PM EDT by schnitzel]
Well its friday and a day for woe.. for me anyway.

Had my chainsaw get fubared by a repair shopr/stihl dealer during the week. They gave me my money back on the repairs and 20% off any saw in the store. My saw was an old Mculloh 610. So no great value lost.

So i look, think, and drool on the stihls they have. Choice was between a Stihl 280 and 310 with 20in bar. I got the 310.

I took it home with a full tank from the shop, went to town hacking up logs, and kept refilling it with gas from my 2-stroke marked gas can that I always keep filled with mixed gas. Well let me tell you that saw ran like a champ.... for owe about 2 hours/3 tanks of gas.

Why you ask.... well someone around the house used my 2 stroke gas for something and refilled the gas can with straight gas and didnt do the mix. Im not placing blame on anyone because I should have checked. The gas can is not easy to see thru so I didnt see that it was too light in color.

So now im looking at either replacing either the piston or the complete upper unit. I now hold the world record for destroying a saw.

So heres the breakdown of my fuel disposition...

First tank- shop properly mixed
second tank-  2 stroke marked jug (using up residual oil in tank)
third tank-  running straight gas

Ya I was happy

I was talking in tongues like a Baptist snake charmer when the engine siezed up. Im sure the neighbors were locking doors around the block

So I got a $450 saw for $230 and am now paying up to $250 dollars more to get it repaired.

Maybe I shouldnt stick with hacksaws?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:44:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2008 8:47:09 PM EDT by BigRoost]
Originally Posted By schnitzel:
Whose the idiot?

Oh, the irony.  

Just giving you a hard time.

Truthfully, you can safely blame whoever used it and didn't remix the fuel.  Once oil is in suspension in gasoline, unless it is dyed to a dark shade, it can be very hard to tell the difference.  You might not have realized it even if you checked.

I can't begin to see the difference in my 2 stroke can, since I use kind of a backwards combo color-wise:  VP C12, which is dyed blue, and a castor based oil which is honey colored.  The shade doesn't change at all when it's mixed.
Top Top