Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 7:28:24 AM EDT

Winter is just around the corner...........see you on the trail!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

vmax84
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#1]
That looks pretty fast.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:31:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Is that one of those vintage sleds I hear about?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn!!!

A Mamaha? cmon!!!

gotta go with Polaris.

See you on the trails though!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:33:53 AM EDT
[#4]
The studs on the track look pretty small to me. Just like a car, if you can't get traction, the power don't matter. Not trying to rag you, just making an observation.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#5]
What is that thing?

Never seen one 'round here.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#6]
QUICK!!  TO THE BAT-SLED!!

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:41:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The studs on the track look pretty small to me. Just like a car, if you can't get traction, the power don't matter. Not trying to rag you, just making an observation.

Good observation.  They barely clear the rubber cleat, but the old V-max 4's  track clearance is on the verge of being pitiful.  Your lawn mower has more rear suspension than these things.  I'm worried about the track slapping into the rear heat exhangers  with the studs and puching a hole in the exhangers.........therefore, I went with smaller studs in the track.  

And for being out on "the trail", the trail had better be fairly well groomed or I get the crap beat out of my back............but oh baby, when the trails are smooth, the old 4 cylinder is in it's own.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:43:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What is that thing?

Never seen one 'round here.

+1
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#9]

One of these days, I'll get the engine back in my old 83 V-max.  I bought the thing years ago from a guy down in Chicago.  He rode it two years and put 850 miles on it when the cirlip that holds the wrist pin in came loose and wrecked the cylinder.  It sat covered up in the guys garage for years until I bought it.  I took the engine out, split the cases, totally rebuilt the engine.........just need to drop it back in.  Only problem is that I have other things to ride right now, so am not all that motivated to drop it back in.  Plus, the thing is in such nice shape, hate to get it dirty ..

vmax84
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

More than meets the eye.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:06:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree, much more than just "dropping the engine in" and going.  Setting the carbs up, etc, etc, etc.  Plus. the thing hasn't been down the trail since 1985 and I still need to pull the ski's off, scissors, rear suspension, flush the gas tank...............wow, I had forgotten how much more work was required on this thing!!  

I do like the sled since:

a)  it was the year I graduated from high school, so this is a feeble attempt at hanging onto one's youth.
b)  the sled physically is in superb shape. ........no dents, no rust, .......just in great shape.

But you're right, there is SO much more work to be done in order to get it on the trail

vmax84
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#12]
vmax84,

Where ya at?  Going up to dad's in Iron Mountain for deer season and the wife wants to go for a ride.  Got a plain sled to take her out on?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm down in Cadillac (lower mid-Michigan), although do from time to time get up to Iron Mountain for my job.  The riding up there in the U.P. is outstanding!!  

I do have an extra sled, however, she'll have to take turn with the girls.  

vmax84

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm down in Cadillac (lower mid-Michigan), although do from time to time get up to Iron Mountain for my job.  The riding up there in the U.P. is outstanding!!  

I do have an extra sled, however, she'll have to take turn with the girls.  

img91.exs.cx/img91/2338/Nov15_04.jpg

vmax84

That would be a photoshop opportunity if I got her on that.

Yeah they do keep the trails up there in excellent condition.  30 days, only 30 days and Bambi here I come.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#15]
That looks like a LOT of fun.  How easily would it go over rocks and prickley pear in South Texas?  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#16]
We southerners know nothing about those belt sanders, but this photo does tell us one thing:

There are people that choose to use lots of individual light fixtures instead of one or two large ones.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Uhhhhhhh, happy days will soon be here again!!  The little people like "the belt sanders", no "prickley pears" to run over, but if ya' really get on the gas, maybe one can un-earth some pine cones, and yes, some of us prefer hundreds of light fixtures over one or two........why, we don't know, but we do    Your comments got me rolling on the floor.  

Gotta run and get my "little riders" from school, but its been fun thinking about the white stuff, screaming jap sleds, and little people on the gas.

vmax84

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top